Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

IPCRESS posted:

They're in addition to the standard wing mirror; they're typically a fisheye to help you reverse park and/or assess the damage to your toddler when you've reversed over them.

They really are fantastically useful, but they have trouble clearing pedestrian safety standards in places other than Japan.

How are those any different than those little glue on blind spot mirrors? Aside from being uglier and more likely to impale a pedestrian on impact I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The most important thing self driving cars could do isn't drive for you but act as error correction for human mistakes. The car could maintain your lane while panic braking to avoid the aforementioned deer or pull to a shoulder if you stop giving input (such as from falling asleep). Or even simple things like keeping the brakes applied if you get out with the engine running and forget to put it in park.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Is it really such an issue to park a little farther away?

In some places 'further away' means up to a quarter of a mile away. My old apartment was like this. And if you're time limited that means you aren't getting your errands done because some rear end in a top hat thought his car was too important for one spot.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It's like someone's first try with the Forza decal editor made it to the real world.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

Its actually kinda old.

All the cool, leading edge douchebags are now removing their hoods and sometimes all traces of its mounting hardware, filling hinge mount holes and cutting off drip edges

Isn't there some kind of law requiring a hood so if you hit someone they're not horribly burned or getting things caught in the pulleys?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm not shifting the blame, I'm just explaining what the video actually shows rather than people saying he throttled up and rammed the dude.

Not to mention it looks like the guy intentionally walks into Tony's line prior to getting hit. That's just dumb. Stewart has a history of being a right oval office but it doesn't really look like he was trying to crash into anyone.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

rocket_350 posted:

I saw something tragic in CBC video of last week's extreme rainfall event in Burlington, Ontario.

What you can't see is the big vinyl H on the hood, HONDA across the top of the windshield, and the peeling chrome tape hubcaps.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Carbon fiber battery shield to reduce weight.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sometimes holding it upside down lets you trick the evap mechanism and keep a busted vent valve from creating enough backpressure to shut off the pump.

Or sometimes you have a gas cap behind a license plate that folds downwards, like early 90s jeeps. Their design means you pretty much have to hold the pump upside down or at a step angle. Someone with an old car like that might not know they don't always shut off correctly in that situation.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Panty Saluter posted:

That being said I would never own one as a primary vehicle but that's not particular to the RX-8 either. :v:

I have one that I've been using as a primary vehicle for the last year and a half. Keeping it topped off on oil and making sure to redline it at least once or twice a trip has kept it going strong. 118k miles and still runs great.

That said I have to agree about not getting one as your primary/only car. The worst part isn't the goofy engine or even the aesthetics. It's the two cupholders in line with the shifter that make it impossible to use the arm rest and jams straws and lids into your forearm whenever you change gears.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

CharlesM posted:

I'm pretty sure the 7th gen Celica was aimed towards young women. I consider the Scion tC it's successor.

This stigma was what kept me from getting one as my first car back in high school. All my friends made fun of me for wanting one. :saddowns:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Low profile off road tires and every jeep accessory in the jegs catalog. Nice.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah but that's probably an airbag steering wheel, judging from the bulge.

Front airbags didn't/don't always deploy from side impacts, right? Maybe it got hit from the side initially and the damage was severe enough to prevent the front bag from deploying during the rest of the crash.

Or it didn't work because its a neon, a car that was terrible when new and hasn't improved.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Boy, she'd poo poo a brick if she ever rode/drove in a rotary-powered car. 65 in 5th is over 3000 RPM (8000 RPM redline), and you'd never get anywhere only revving it to 2500. I shift at 5-6000 RPM when I'm driving casually.

I think the autos redline at 8k. I know my 6 speed redlines at 9k. Which, in a related note, caused my equally rev averse mother to lose her poo poo when I redlined it getting on the highway. She was sure I'd destroyed the engine doing that.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Of course its parked in front of Wal Mart.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The zebra print steering wheel cover adds that extra bit of class.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

No pictures because you can't photograph smells, but I rode in my roommates Mazda 3 today and good lord. It smells like it's on fire once it warms up. I asked her about it and learned the last time it had any maintenance beyond tires/battery was sometime in 2011.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Lightbulb Out posted:

How does this make any sense at all whatsoever? Change the loving oil.

She makes poverty wages so even with me helping out on rent, she still has to choose between food and bills on occasion. Vehicle maintenance is a luxury.

Land of opportunity. :911:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I took my old El Camino pretty far past 85 once (speedo only goes to 85) and that was enough for me. Bricks are not designed to go that fast.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

"Is that steve? gently caress yeah it is steve! Lemme pull over and fuuuuuuuuuuuu- oh ok, bye steve!"

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

neonbregna posted:

Any idea how this damaged was cause? The whole left side was mashed in slightly and the front and rear windows were plexiglass that appeared to be held in place by some sort of rubber cement?

Partial rollover maybe? Or sliding sideways into a wall.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Wrong thread?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

G-Mach posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9X2-sE4EcU

Guys like this is why I refuse to instruct during lapping days anymore. loving terrifying.

This guy drives real cars the way I drive videogame cars.

e; Poorly and aggressively, for those curious

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Falken posted:

Apparently the aftermath of an asphalt truck tipping over.

Whoever made those windshield wipers deserves a medal.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I wonder what the odds on other manufacturers lineups having a mysterious increase in emissions next model year will be.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sudo Echo posted:

Don't worry, we are professionals

I have so many questions.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

They didn't even change the Fiatas interior.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

There are at least a handful of Domino's franchises that actually do provide the vehicle - but you give up getting any mileage or portion of the delivery fee (... like you get the whole fee anyway, I get $1.02 of the $2.50 at Pizza Hut, and make $5.70/hr while on delivery - just got a raise, whoop-de-doo).

Wait what

Mine charges 3.50 delivery and we get none of it. And we get 4.50 on the road. :mad:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

http://imgur.com/gallery/NwLgc

Car "tips" from imgur. And the followup:

http://imgur.com/gallery/2zQgL

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Powershift posted:

That's what happens when something impacts the hitch and not the bumper. That's why i always get a kick out of those little reciever hitch bumpers.

Save a $500 bumper and $50 bumper brackets by folding your frame

I support these things because it means they aren't punching a hole in my door/radiator/whatever with the ball hitch that's never been removed when they back into me in the parking lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

DiggityDoink posted:

It is a Mobile Home. I wonder how much of their poo poo is still in there.

Surely they just found the trailer by the side of road and backed up the uhaul for a picture. Nobody could be this dense. Right?