Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Oh man that is absolutely killer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Elendil004 posted:

A few raid jackets available here https://shop.arcdream.com/collections/collectibles/products/delta-green-raid-jacket

They're also selling the misprint hosed up ones for 30 bucks, which honestly feels VERY delta green.

quote:

These jackets were printed and delivered with the wrong ink for their fabric, so the text and seal have uneven coverage and sometimes look smeared. If you want your raid jacket to look as DIY and half-assed as so many Delta Green operations turn out to be, this is the option for you.

:allears:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Elendil004 posted:

Hosting a delta green movie night in the night at the opera discord. Tonight at 6 eastern we're watching Alien Raiders, a cross between The Thing and Dog Day Afternoon.

Do you have a Discord invite? I won't be able to participate (I am ironically running a game of DG over Discord) but I'd love to hang out next time you guys do something like that.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Elendil004 posted:

https://discord.gg/FxNKfCq

we tend to run a couple games a week

Thanks!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Elendil004 posted:

Hardly looks distressed to be honest. How's the front symbol?

I had the chance to look over both at GenCon (I eventually ended up buying the regular one and a challenge coin because I have no impulse control), and the distressed ink on the jacket I saw is a lot less vibrant than on the regular jackets and not quite as even.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Elendil004 posted:

I got mine at a solid discount so I am glad I bought a regular one. How's the challenge coin look?

Fuckin' kickass.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Southern Heel posted:

That is an excellent point, thank you so much. Is Delta Green a separate book or just a thematic skin?

Delta Green is now a separate series of books and scenarios, released under Arc Dream Publishing. The Agent's Handbook (Player's guide) came out last year, and the Handler's Guide (GM's book) was just released as a PDF. There's also a bunch of DG-specific scenarios that have been released, many of which are available for free on their site.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Regarding the first question, yes and no. In a typical combat round, a professor with a gun isn't gonna be able to hit the broad side of a barn from within the barn, which makes sense when you consider that a 0% firearms skill represents someone who's effectively never picked up a gun in their life. With that said, however, there are combat modifiers such as aim actions and close range bonuses that can boost their skill up to... well, still pretty terrible levels, but enough that they might actually stand a chance of hitting something instead of nothing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's worth noting that Delta Green itself doesn't have to take place in a modern setting. The organization's history dates back to the late 1920s, and the Handler's Guide itself includes a ton of notes on running scenarios in each decade since (Such as fighting Nazi occultists during World War II, going full-loving hog wild during the Cold War excesses of the 1950s, fighting MAJESTIC in the 1990s, and everything in-between)

Edit: I misread what the question was about so this is all irrelevant OH WELL

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 6, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
In Reverbrations, Reverb is a combination of MDMA and the Tcho-Tcho drug Liao, brought over from Afghanistan by a former US Army vet and Blackwater contractor. The effect of Liao on the human brain is to effect the perception of time, either by stretching out a singular moment or, in some cases, by literally transporting their consciousness through the past, granting visions of the events of long ago. The second event typically ends with the consciousness going too far back, and attracting the attention of a Hound of Angles. As Liao tends to build up in the brain without dissipating, this means that the longer you take the drug, the more likely it is that you're going to gently caress Up horribly and get eviscerated by creatures from beyond time.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 8, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Way to spoiler the adventure dude

no problem

It is a fun adventure though, just actually ran it myself. At one point a pair of PCs had gone to a police station to interview a drug dealer that had been dealing reverb, and inadvertently blew their cover while trying to pick up a sample of the drug from the evidence locker. At that point, one of them panicked, grabbed the box of evidence, and attempted to book it out of the station, only to trip over their own feet in the station lobby and get tackled by multiple cops. This then lead to the fun scene where the police decided to throw him into the same cell as the dealer he'd just interviewed, where he got to witness the Hound manifesting out of the dealer up-close

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Have you nailed down which agency your character works for? That in and of itself could open up a ton of potential backstories.

Edit: Personally I'd vote for an agency that's completely nonthreatening like Amtrak or the Department of Agriculture.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 10, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

LuiCypher posted:

I'm just going to sit here geeking out for a bit. This is proper enough motivation to get these rules into a Google Doc to share with the list.

Say, this is from a while back, but did you ever do this? I'm gonna be running KG for my group and I'd love to have those rules on hand if they decide to go that route.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Splicer posted:

Vote for me!

I mean literally me.

It's a one-shot where I show up and start reading my posts at you.

The spookiest scenario of all

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Elendil004 posted:

Control Group cover looking good. Kinda wish they went with one themes from the two scenarios we already know about though.

It's a shame they didn't decide to go with something from BLACKSAT, because that scenario is a loving trip

(Favorite quote from the playtest pdf: "reduce all Pilot rolls by -20%, since the shuttle was not built to be flown while on fire.")

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So I finished up running Kali Ghati last night and all I can say is that one thing I did not expect to happen was for the party to actually somehow manage to loving successfully extract Ellis :psyduck:

Most of them even lived! Somehow!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

So basically, what happened was that after the ambush, the party and most of the surviving soldiers (With one of the PCs taking over for the squad leader after his previous character ate an RPG to the face) made their way to the village, stayed overnight to rest up, and then proceeded to the temple. At this point, the party consisted of four NPC soldiers (Booker, Bryant, and two survivors from the second MRAP I named Trady and Bortles) and six PCs, of which only two had any real combat expertise (Including the now-PC controlled squad leader).

So, when they get down into the temple and find Ellis, a fairly typical interaction plays out-they basically go "Ellis, what the gently caress," Ellis babbles, then pulls out a knife and rushes them. One PC and two NPC soldiers then proceed to shoot him... and either miss or do minimal damage. At this point, one of the players decides to run forward and disarm Ellis, and together with Booker and Bryant proceed to tackle him and wrestle him into some flexi-cuffs.

While this is going on, one of the other PCs looks up, sees the Sleeper, and decides to Get The gently caress Out, only to turn around and spot the mass of villagers sneaking up on them. Since they decided to book it the first round of combat, I gave the squad a free round to shoot into the rushing villagers (that is, everyone who didn't shoot or rush Ellis), of which all but one miss. One does kill a villager, which causes the Sleeper to stir and freak everyone the gently caress out, but they don't do any more significant damage before the mob hits them.

What then proceeded was one of the most pathetic slapfights I've ever witnessed in an RPG. Out of twenty loving villagers, barely any actually manage to hit, and those that do either can't get through the body armor of the soldiers or PCs or end up doing minimal damage. Likewise, the PCs and the NPC soldiers can't hit a single loving thing, and in fact more damage is done through villagers fumbling their rolls and stabbing each other than through any intended attacks.

At this point, they collectively decide to make a break for it, and in the melee the squad leader drops a smoke grenade and one of the other PCs drops a flare, making it impossible to see anything and giving everyone penalties on top of their abysmal rolls to actually hit anything. I basically give each member of the party+the NPCs an athletics check to try and shove their way free of the melee to book it, which all but Bryant eventually manage to succeed upon. And so, the party is effectively running out of the temple as quickly as they can, with most of the villagers mobbing Bryant (or just attacking each other at this point) and a handful in pursuit of the fleeing party. At this point I start having the party take intelligence checks to find their way out, of which they succeed on one before one of the NPC soldiers finally manages to kill a second villager, which triggers the Sleeper.

Two of the party members immediately go down from temporary insanity from going past their breaking points, and I have the rest start rolling the individual intelligence checks to try and get out. Fortunately for the party members that failed, one of the NPC soldiers immediately flubbed his roll as hard as possible and ran directly towards the creature. The next round, the other NPC soldier failed slightly harder than the least successful party member, and got gibbed as well. Since they'd actually managed to get part of the way out of the temple, I only made them roll two successes (With the exception of the NPC Bryant, who I had roll all three... which he passed). Eventually, it came down to one PC who failed the intel and athletics checks twice in a row, but miraculously made both dodge rolls to avoid getting caught by the creature. He then made the last intel check he needed to escape, and together the surviving sane party members managed to get up the staircase and out of the temple, with the NPC Booker carrying Ellis. After escaping the temple, they decided to go around the valley, nearly killed themselves going down the mountain, managed to briefly reestablish radio contact, and after wandering around for about 12 hours managed to get found by a Blackhawk dispatched by CORAL NOMAD, who then brought them to Bagram AFB for debriefing and recovery.

tl;dr the party was given a significant advantage in the final encounter by some of the worst combined rolling I have ever loving seen. Death can't wake the Sleeper if no one can actually kill anybody! :shepface:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 10, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Kavak posted:

What I find weird is that the scenario assumes the PCs are going to run over the mine, but the driver has a coinflip chance to spot it and that only gets better if the in the passenger seat has a good Awareness skill. It gets nice and creepy once you actually get to the village, but unless you have the second squad with you standing guard it's probably "LOL Sleeper's up, you're all screwed".

And would A-Cell really be mad if you showed them the recovered hard drive and said "Ellis went bonkers and headed into a Bad Place, we should consider him KIA or worse and let sleeping eldritch dogs lie"? Barring the two soldiers he talked with there's not that much to contain, a cover story can be concocted, and Kali Ghati isn't a threat to anyone who isn't in it.

The concern for A-Cell is that Ellis isn't just anyone, he's a CIA asset, and even the possibility of him getting picked up by the Taliban would be bad not just for Delta Green but for US operations in Afghanistan in general. Plus, while Kali Ghati itself isn't really a threat, there's no actual way to know that until you get there.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Kavak posted:

So bug out when that becomes apparent?

:shrug: I mean, hypothetically they could, but I don't know why they would, especially when the higher-ups would have some awkward questions afterwards about why they got that close to Ellis only to chicken out before they actually reached him.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Kavak posted:

Does A-cell consider "Genre-savvyness" as a valid defense?

Not generally, no :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Elendil004 posted:

Anybody going to Gencon this year? I'm set to run three DG games.

I'd like to, but given my current job situation I'm not sure I'll be able to get time off. What scenarios are you thinking of running?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm really mad I didn't order Fall of Delta Green on backerkit when I had the chance because it looks rad as hell

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/AWGergor/status/977032861785251840?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

KomradeX posted:

I was thinking about limiting their ammo but might hold on to that for a dramatically appropriate moment instead just have the sheer number of zombies drive home how out numbered and futile their situation is

I do really like this idea and may steal it for myself. There's a ton of fun wrenches you could throw into there for sure-say, they have a full load of main gun ammo but it's all HVAP (i.e. useless for targeting infantry), or they learn the location of an old abandoned US AAA battery from World War II that's still stocked with roughly compatible ammo, but it's all degraded and each round has about a 50/50 chance of actually going off.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MrMojok posted:

Thanks guys, I am going to get Peterson’s.

Does anyone know of a newer DG timeline somewhere on the web, than this one from 2016?

http://www.delta-green.com/2016/10/what-is-the-timeline-of-delta-green/

I wondered how much of this, if any, was changed with the new game that came out earlier this year (I don’t have the new Handler’s Guide, or any DG stuff at all besides the short story collections and a couple of novels)

It's mostly accurate, save for the last entry—in the current cannon, the Delta Green conspiracy under Forrest James performed a coup on Majestic-12, breaking it up and transforming what was left into a reborn, sanctioned Delta Green referred to as 'The Program'. Meanwhile, most members of the original conspiracy stayed underground, and continue to operate independently as the 'Cowboys'. Effectively, this has created two Delta Greens-one sanctioned, one not-and while they're not actively at war with each other, they also don't particularly get along.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MizPiz posted:

You could something about an outlaw biker gang founded by WWII veterans who found some Nazi occult stuff. Might be a bit anachronistic since I don't think bikers had the connection to neo-nazis back then like they do now, but it definitely fits the canon enough.

The bikers themselves wouldn't have to be Nazis. They could just as easily be vets who miss the thrill of combat and the personal power they held flying fighters and bombers, and are looking to recreate that utalizing occult artifacts while maybe making some extra cash on the side (this is the actual history of many real biker gangs, including Hell's Angels, if you replace 'occult artifacts' with drugs)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Elendil004 posted:

Delta Green: Control Group PDFs going out to Backers today.

I'm definitely excited for them, I ran the draft version of BLACKSAT from Detwiller's Patreon and had a great time though the space shuttle certainly didn't, and the others I read through have some really neat stuff going on though the twist in Sick Again was kinda lame. Didn't back the Kickstarter, unfortunately, so I'll have to pick it up on Drive thru.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

JK Fresco posted:

What do you do when the old scenario submission you were working on gets copied by current events

accuse current events of plagiarism

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TheNamedSavior posted:

Does Berlin actually have interesting Cthulhu related stuff outside of the Scenarios (I.E. The Cults, Unique NPCs, Weird New Monsters, Interesting New Fictional Locations) or is it another one of those bad Secrets Of books that contains nothing but boring factual stuff that's actually poorly researched and you could find out with an online search anyways?

Also, DG contains rules for playing an ice officer so that should tell you if this game deserves to exist.

It's poo poo.

DG was written before the 2016 election and our current hellscape, and ICE is one of literally two and a half dozen federal agencies that has rules available.

e: Also the idea that the writers of DG are somehow crypto chuds is hilarious if you've ever taken a look at Shane Ivey or Dennis Detwiller's twitter.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 27, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's a hard balance, but running Delta Green is really all about the small victories. The Agents might be people forced into terrible situations by a terrible organization who are often forced to do terrible things, but at the core of nearly every scenario there is an unnatural threat that poses a danger to the innocent—and it is up to the Agents to try and save as many lives as they can. For instance, in Sentinels of Twilight, the scenario included in the Handler's Guide, it is possible, though not likely, for the Agents to save a small six year old child who disappeared thirty years ago and return him to his parents. Doing so requires guile, skill, and more than a little luck, and will likely result in harsh repercussions for the Agents from the Program when it comes time to explain their actions. And ultimately, saving one child is a mere drop in the bucket compared to the terrible things the Agents may be forced to do. But what makes Delta Green a great, unique RPG experience is these small victories, where, even as everything is falling apart and ultimate success is impossible, the Agents can fight like hell to restore a single point of hope and sanity to a small corner of the world, and save a few lives while doing it—if only so they can justify their actions to themselves later.

The Standing Orders that can be found in a few of the scenarios really get at this aspect of the game:

quote:

These are operational priorities that every agent of the Delta Green program learns, although they must never be written down.

Delta Green agents protect their country from unnatural threats at any cost. It may be necessary to violate every law and principle that they once swore to uphold in order to confront threats that the law never anticipated. They are sworn, in the face of dire penalties that they accepted when they signed on to the program, to never tell anyone about Delta Green or its mission, nor about the work they do on its behalf. They may die, be crippled, go insane, or be imprisoned, and their families will never be told the truth. But Delta Green agents have seen what the unnatural does to humanity. They tell themselves the mission is worth the sacrifice.

In a Delta Green operation, agents must first determine whether there has been an “unnatural” incursion. If there has, their orders are:

FIRST PRIORITY
Stop the incursion. Gather intelligence on site to ascertain the nature of the incursion and the best means of stopping it.

SECOND PRIORITY
Obscure the incursion. Minimize awareness of it in order to prevent the damage from spreading. Prevent anyone else from being exposed to the threat or learning about the threat. Develop a plan to explain it away. Make sure the public has a mundane, boring story to tell. There must be no extended investigations. That also means there should be no unnecessary communication about the incursion. Say nothing on a phone or by email that someone could uncover later.

THIRD PRIORITY
Obscure Delta Green’s involvement. If possible, leave no identifying traces behind: computer records, metadata from phone calls or email, blood, hair, fingerprints, etc. Under no circumstances are you to reveal your real purpose or Delta Green’s existence. If you’re arrested, take the fall. Delta Green may be able to have a prosecution or lawsuit thrown out, later—if you keep silent and follow orders.

FOURTH PRIORITY
Secure advanced technology. Gather up all technological materials of an unconventionally advanced or non-terrene point of origin and prepare it for collection.

FIFTH PRIORITY
Save lives. As many as possible.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It is worth noting that there are bunch of sourcebooks coming out for DG that include additional antagonists, such as Impossible Landscapes (The King in Yellow and Carcosa), The Labyrinth (Four antagonist and allied factions each, with rules on how each develops and evolves as the Agents interact with them), Deep State (March Technologies and other MJ-12 spinoffs), PISCES (duh), Those Who Come After (Great Race of Yith), and Falling Towers (Fighting the Fate in the 2000s). The lack of antagonists in the core book and Handler's Guide is definitely an issue with the game, but it is one that's being actively addressed.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Honestly a DG game premised on the Karotechia showing back up and both the Program and Cowboys freaking out over "These fucks are supposed to be dead" could make for a great campaign.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Dr. Lunchables posted:

There’s some kind of published Delta Green about this. Involved Yig, I forget the rest

Future Perfect, it's a four part mini-campaign series. IIRC part two involves investigating the mounds directly, part one involves hunting down a literal dinosaur in the southwest.

e: lol, beaten. However, I'll take this time to link the original versions of the first three scenarios, which are available for free, in case anyone is interested in checking them out before shelling out for the updated versions.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 19, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Karandras posted:

I’m a long time DM who played some CoC d6 way back in the day and I’m looking to run a game set in the Korean War, likely using Delta Green rules. Looks like on drivethru RPG there’s a two pack with a player/handler guide for the latest version, but any good expansion books I should grab as well?

edit: players will be Soviet agents, so I guess it’s Delta Red if there’s anything neat that could help me

The old Delta Green: COUNTDOWN supplement for Call of Cthulhu contains a big ol' chapter on GRU SV-8, the Soviet equivalent to Delta Green.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CornHolio posted:

So me and a few buddies got together on Discord last night so they could make their first characters. Strength and Constitution are both 3D6x5 and one rolled three ones for strength, another rolled three ones for constitution. They'll make for interesting characters (the one with 15 strength also has 80 constitution) but between sessions (like once every two weeks) I'd like to have them make an improvement check for them.

Strength is easy to do - their character goes to the gym. Works out. Should be able to increase their strength to something reasonable.

But how does one increase their constitution? Seems a lot more... difficult. Any thoughts?

Cardio and/or lifestyle improvements. Maybe they take up jogging and begin biking to work, or stop buying fast food and start shopping at the farmer's market.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Elendil004 posted:

You should not play with assholes.

Really just good advice regardless of the game.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CornHolio posted:

One of my players is a watch salesman that's in too deep, and he saw the knife and just hightailed it out, abandoning the rest of the investigators. He had fallen down the stairs, now he fell up the stairs. He would fall down the stairs later as well. His DEX isn't even bad, he was just failing every roll badly for awhile.

I WARNED YOU ABOUT STAIRS BRO

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The one time I ran Reverberations, the Agents completely ignored the Tcho-Tcho hook in favor of splitting up into multiple simultaneous clown shows, in which:

one group tried and failed to bribe children (they literally walked up to some kids playing on the street and said "hey, here's $20, can you tell us where the drug dealers are?" the children were, shall we say, not receptive)

while the other group walked into a police station to interrogate a witness, examined some evidence in lockup, panicked when asked to sign for it, and attempted to steal the box of evidence and run out of the police station. unsuccessfully.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The Director of the Program is all-but explicitly stated to be a detestable and utterly broken human being who's become obsessed with eradicating Deep Ones. And elsewhere in the Handler's Guide, it's explicitly stated that SOMERSAULT targets individuals as young as six years old. The players aren't meant to cheer this on—the game wants you to feed these facts to them over time, so they can come to understand that the Program and their "partners" at March Technologies is just as warped and twisted as MAJESTIC that came before it.

e:

Siivola posted:

Yeah, that's the implied arc. The actual text just goes "DG has done and continues to do bad poo poo :shrug: " and the Handler is explicitly told to not delve into the background to keep the conspiracy mysterious.

The implied campaign is about finding out if there's anything the PCs wouldn't do to prevent the apocalypse, like some kind of less nuanced rehash of 24, and I absolutely can not be bothered.

imo it's less about "What wouldn't the players do to prevent apocalypse," but instead recognizing that the organization they're working for is irrevocably hosed, and are certain operations really preventing the apocalypse, or are they satisfying an old man's delusions? It's not made explicit in the Handler's Guide, but there's plenty of material in there to run a game where the Program/March Technologies is the ultimate enemy that must be destroyed or overthrown. (And in fact there was supposed to be a whole supplement about March and all the hosed-up poo poo they were getting up to, not sure what ever happened to that)

double edit: There's even a line in the Handler's Guide where it explicitly states that the Program's Director of Security has determined that, at some point, the Director has to die—"For the good of the program. For the good of the world." Which could certainly make for a hell of a campaign!

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

PipHelix posted:

Yea, I realized posting on the N.A.T.O. Discord channel that I got from who knows where the idea that DG was a loose confederation of Chelsea Manningses, all with clearance and training but acting either extracurricularly or actively against the interests of the corrupted US/World government. Everyone was like, no you are a CIA type guy and you are a secret and the government has deniability but you basically have a GS number and a W2 and are a patriot and your bosses unless explicitly stated in the module are good people.

Both interpretations are correct: The Program is the "official" agency under the US Government that works to contain, research, and/or destroy spooky stuff. The Outlaws are a conspiracy of people with varying levels of sanity and supplies that fight the unnatural wherever it pops up.

Key distinctions:

-The Program descended from (i.e. took over in a violent coup) the MAJESTIC organization, which was a previous organization within the US government that studied spooky stuff, worked with aliens, and delivered technological secrets and wonders to the DoD and intelligence agencies, in return for looking the other way when said aliens abducted people and committed horrifying atrocities. Most of the people involved in MAJESTIC were either killed off during the coup or stayed on with the new Delta Green leadership, though some ran off to found March Technologies—which is now the Program's partner in experimenting with and developing Spooky Stuff (TM). The Program, as a result, is much more likely to try and capture or contain weird artifacts or alien technologies for study, which has never ever gone extremely badly. The leadership is a mix of broken people who think they're doing the right thing but are actual horrible monsters, horrible monsters who aren't thrilled with being horrible monsters but are resigned to it, horrible monsters who love to research spooky stuff, and a handful of decent folks who try to do their best while also staying as far from the Operations side of the Program as physically possible. Biggest achievement is managing to save time and space from collapsing by closing a time loop opened during the Philadelphia Experiment in World War II. Lots of capacity to do good and save lives, but can also be tremendous dickbags (see: sacrificing astronauts to fix a spy satellite in BLACKSAT)

-The Outlaws are the remnants of the original Delta Green that decided not to get involved with the Program after Forest James (The current Director and ex-Delta Green agent) took over in a violent coup. Loosely organized into a cell structure, it is a true conspiracy where nobody knows poo poo about dick except the people at the very top, whose typical approach to the unnatural is "Kill it, and then kill it again." This is the "traditional" Delta Green experience as per the original sourcebooks from the '90s, and their capacity for good (and ill) is typically limited to fighting the unnatural where it threatens innocent lives.

I think the sourcebooks and fluff do often lean into grimdark "everything sucks and this entire thing is on the verge of falling apart," but good scenarios often leave open ways for the Agents to save lives and even, rarely, right wrongs. The scenario at the back of the Handler's Guide, for instance, offers the agents to reunite a lost child with his parents over 40 years after he disappeared, which is a hard as hell outcome to achieve but is possible and worth fighting for! And in general, most published scenarios focus on the players stopping some kind of supernatural threat to the innocent, like a plague from the future (Sick Again) or a teenager who is way, WAY in over their heads (A Victim of the Art).

In general though, discussing how grimdark the setting is or isn't sort of gets away from the game's strength, which is basically the X-Files: Each scenario is effectively a supernatural (Or extraterrestrial, people always forget that part) mystery, and the fun is in the players slowly peeling away layer after layer until they find the (potentially horrifying) truth, while also doing their best to cover everything up and make it seem mundane (Which is one of the unique aspects to Delta Green compared to other mythos/mystery-focused games). And while you can have big, overarching campaigns where everyone slowly goes mad and all hope is lost, it's also fun to run monster-of-the-week scenarios that can end with everyone getting arrested after setting the haunted house on fire (With an organization behind them that has the resources to bail them out afterwards).

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 16, 2021