Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Endless Mike posted:

It hasn't been addressed directly (at least not in WATM, but maybe in one of the other books I don't read?), but that seems to be the case.

I'm pretty sure he's showed up non-iced recently, he's just been hanging out in ice form a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Which is really dumb, because Batman's problem wasn't with Green Lanterns. Batman's problem was with Guy, because Guy is an rear end in a top hat.

I remember at least one comic mentioning that Batman didn't like Green Lanterns because they're not afraid of anything, and at least part of his effectiveness comes from making people afraid of him. There's a reason a Sinestro Corps ring tried to recruit him.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Man how hard is it to have an actual french-speaking person check your french in 2013.

Many times harder than running it through a translator!

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

BONUS! From STRANGE ADVENTURES 29

I love this dude's face

I love how that story ends. The guy steals state secrets using the glasses and then gets in a small plane to fly to a foreign country to sell them:

"Oh, I can't see a thing, but I've been piloting this vessel for a few weeks anyway. It's not like the glasses are subtle, how did you miss that I wasn't wearing them anyway?"

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Kalli posted:

On the other hand, comic relief:

What's this from?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Uthor posted:

Nick Fury (?) is being warned about the secret guy he's trying to talk to (that is on the cover, so not much of a secret). He don't care.

Secret Avengers 2

I'm pretty sure that's Nick Fury's black son, Nick Fury, Jr. They created the character so there'd be a Nick Fury in normal continuity that looked like Samuel L. Jackson so people who've only watched the movies won't be confused. Or as confused, anyway.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

robziel posted:

It's killing me because I know I've read that and it's probably in my Batman collection, I'm 90% sure it's from Detective Comics which narrows it down only slightly. Sorry.

Do you remember WHY Batman decided to change back to Bruce Wayne before going to Gordon? It seems like extra effort for something that actively harms him.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

From Doctor Fate #11, but you can also find more at the aptly named Darkseid Chilling On A Couch

Jeez, it's like he picked out a really uncomfortable throne millennia ago but he's unwilling to admit it makes his butt sore and change it, so he just breaks into random apartments on Earth so he can sit on their comfy furniture all the time. By pure chance, every once in a while someone he knows comes through the door and he plays it off like he did it on purpose.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

VanSandman posted:

Edit: Added exclamation points since I'm talking about Kirby!!!

Has anyone posted the panels from Young Avengers where they're talking about Marvel Boy's Kirby engine?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

prefect posted:

Chairface Chippendale could manage part of it.

Writing "Bat" on the moon isn't really going to get his point across.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

True X-Men #4 Facts
Seagulls always know where Magneto is because they have magnetoception.

Damnit, Magneto, you fight people who fly without engines all the time. You fly without engines. If you see something flying, you don't dismiss it just because you don't hear engines!

Magneto's magnetic force field would stop Cyclops's force beams, so there's pretty much nothing it won't affect.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Avulsion posted:

Source is Astonishing Tales - Bobby and Sam in Mojoworld 1-6

How did I not know this existed before now?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I am so out of the loop - I hadn't even really been aware Jubilee was a vampire, now she has a kid, too? How does that even work?

Adopted. Sublime's sister was riding in him or something, and she just kept him after the mission she found him on.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Kitty aged too! Well, I guess, depending on how old she was supposed to be when she joined the X-Men.

I'm pretty sure Kitty has aged and de-aged a few times.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Bakanogami posted:

I'm honestly more interested in Xavier's revisions. Why does he object to a punch in the jaw, but seems to be just fine with the final exam of stranding them in the wilderness with a throat wound? Does he want to be present for week 2 (for safety reasons) or for week 3? (because he really wants to know how logan got his hair that way.)

I think he wants to see beanie babies get sliced up. I don't think he has much use for the lecture on hair.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

There's also an Octobot with Peter's brain still wandering around New York.

I've been keeping up with SpOck comics, but I don't remember that. Any idea what issue that was in so I can refresh my memory?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Turns out Captain Marvel predicted the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Captain Marvel Adventures #98.

"That's an INSULT!"

Wisdom of Solomon, that one.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

The Mentalizer posted:

I could swear I saw a panel posted a while back in the thread that had Hawguy chilling out on the plane and reading his own comic while everyone else was getting ready (or something like that). No idea what book it was from, though. Please tell me I'm not crazy.

Things like that aren't necessarily breaking the 4th wall; Marvel Comics are published in the 616 universe (generally with different secret identities).

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
At some point I think DC just decided they'd have a continuity reboot once a decade anyway, so there was no real reason for any given continuity reboot to fix continuity problems like the Crisis on Infinite Earths was supposed to. Heck, it's better for them to leave more problems in, it gives them a better excuse for the next continuity reboot.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

Wait, so superman's sunlight-based power includes regenerating his clothes now?

The latest reboot made his costume into super-science Kryptonian battle armor that self repairs.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

So Wolverine and his enhanced senses couldn't smell him because a tree was in the way?

Sabertooth knows how to stay downwind of prey.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

A) Dragons are magical creatures.

B) I don't think "Wonder Woman can't" is part of her thought process/intention, here; the implication is pretty clearly that since the Oracle says that the Justice League is going to be killed, she's making sure that (temporarily) the Justice League consists only of her, thus sacrificing herself to save the rest of them.

Man, she should know enough Greek mythology to know that just means a dragon's going to break into wherever she stashed the unconscious members of the League and eat them while they're still out.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Uthor posted:

loving regional rights issues!

At least you guys got the complete Tick cartoon. Of the three seasons, they only released DVDs of the first two, cut out two of the episodes (one a parody of Mole Man (though most likely because of the inclusion of Cindy Crawford) and the other a parody of Galactus), and used the syndicated edits. The UK got a complete three season box set with the original edits and not missing any episodes.

I haven't watched those cartoons since they originally aired, but I have to imagine people are pretty confused if they don't watch the Galactus parody and just have to wonder why the moon has a bite taken out of it for the rest of the show. It'd be like missing the Chairface Chippendale moon laser episode.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

This may be the least subtle supervillain plan of all time.

Mary Marvel #1

Is it Sivana that has the panel where he's reading a newspaper and monologuing about how he could have bought it but stole it anyway? Anyone have that panel?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Fantomex is Weapon XIII. He said as much in his first appearance. Even as a Doctor Who joke I'm not quite sure what you're angling for here.

He said thirtieth, not thirteenth. He's referencing Diesel's XXX movie.

That is, movie titled XXX. "XXX movie" sounds like something else.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Christopher Reeves pulled this off perfectly. I think he was easily the best movie Superman/Clark Kent.

I've always thought that too. Before seeing his movies, the glasses as a disguise thing always seemed dumb, but watching him I could actually believe that people wouldn't see that Clark and Superman were the same person.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Except for the numerous versions of Hyperion, the Blue Marvel, Gladiator, and... Wundarr, believe it or not. Virtue, if you want to get extra-obscure.

Warpath is also a flying brick with super senses, though I couldn't say off the top of my head whether they gave him flight before the Sentry showed up or what the last time I actually saw him using his flight was.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I owned every single issue of X-Force and I don't recall him ever flying until the Counter X era. I believe he popped up in the Milligan XF run then as well. After that I've never seen him fly again.

Now that you mention it, Counter X is the first time I remember him flying, too. Wikipedia says that started May of 2000 and Sentry #1 was September of 2000, so I guess Warpath started flying a little before Sentry showed up.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Gavok posted:

When Johns finished his Green Lantern run, they changed all the creative teams on all the Lantern books. So they put Charles Soule (the guy who turned around Thunderbolts since Way left) on Red Lanterns. Hal Jordan, afraid that the Reds were up to something, asked Guy to go undercover, since he wore the red ring a while back. Worst comes to worst, they can always cure him via the Blue Lanterns like last time. Guy joined the Reds, where he immediately exiled Atrocitus and Dex-Star and took over. All the Blue Lanterns except Saint Walker (who is currently without hope) got killed, so Guy got all pissed at Hal and came clean to the rest of the Reds because gently caress the Green Lantern Corps. Besides, he found the Red Lanterns to be a pretty cool bunch of guys when they weren't following Atrocitus' orders.

Since then, the team has gone from Atrocitus' angsty space Punishers to Guy Gardner's hilarious space Wolverines. The team is far more likeable than any of the other Lantern teams flying around these days and it's easily one of the best books DC's doing right now.

He started sporting the Lemmy 'stache in the issue before this.

Huh, do you happen to know what issue it started being good? That sounds like it's worth checking out.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

prefect posted:

His name is "James Rhodes". "Rhodey" is his nickname. :colbert:

Stark-Fujikawa was post-Heroes Reborn. (I don't know if it existed beforehand, but it definitely did afterwards.)

Which means it was after the 2099 universe, right? I appreciate them trying to make sure the companies around in 2099 start showing up.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

I have no idea where I found these; they were sitting on my hard drive. No idea about the translation either.

I love his expression when he sees the toilet.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Uthor posted:

So Cyclops can continue not being cool? Phew.

He went through some bad times, but I've thought he was cool for the last decade or so. Whedon's run really turned that character around.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Vincent posted:

I'm so angry at "eye pad".

I don't have the panel from the comic handy, but the line "Eye am the worst" makes an appearance, in reference to a third eye pun.

I have no idea if that will make you more or less angry.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm glad this thread alerted me to Red Lanterns. It's way more fun than the drudgery it was under Milligan, and it punches my Guy Gardner fandom button pretty hard.

I have the sinking feeling it won't last and things will revert to dull form, but right now it's definitely one of the best books DC is putting out. Which is amazing, given out dreadful the Red Lanterns were initially as characters.

Didn't it start out with all but one or two Red Lanterns being mindless? I didn't read anything between the first issue or two and whenever someone here recommended to start it, but I imagine actually letting there be more than one character helped a lot.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

So, now that Guy's in charge of the Red Lanterns, um, what do they actually do? I mean, Atrocitus had some big revenge scheme going that never really went anywhere, and without him, I really don't see what purpose they actually serve in the galaxy.

Guy tricked Hal into giving them jurisdiction over Sector 2814, so they have space copping to do.

They also got rid of a Space Hitler.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

My question is if it's recoiless, what's with Loki's goofy rear end posture after he shoots it?

Doesn't original Loki pretty much always have goofy rear end posture?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Hulk Smash! posted:

Why does Banner's haircut change when he's the Hulk :confused:

Same reason his facial features, proportions, mass, and skin color do?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

The MSJ posted:

The saga continues:

Come on, Jonah, Newspaper Spider-Man can be taken out by a brick. You seriously thought you wouldn't kill him with Iron Man armor?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Alex Ross draws an Archie cover for an alternate reality story where Archie dies.

I just want to know why men don't have nostrils in this reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

It takes place in the past since that's Matt doing his whole "fake twin brother is Daredevil" thing.

Holy poo poo, there's a modern comic with Mike Murdock in it?

• Locked thread