Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Since we've been seeing a lot of classic Fury and not the new poo poo:

Source: Fury Max (2001)

Trivia: It was this book that single-handedly killed a Nick Fury movie that was going to star George Clooney as the lead. He read this thing and the next thing anyone knows, his agent is screaming at the producers. Stan Lee supposedly despises the book as well.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I could very much see a Sam Jackson/Jeremy Renner/Scarlet Johansson SHIELD movie coming together in the current climate, so who knows.

Disney won't take a chance on a hard-R Fury movie. SLJ's Fury can do anything BUT be profane.

muscles like this? posted:

Garth Ennis really does confuse "badass" with "rear end in a top hat" a lot.

He also *reeeeeally* likes to use rape as a plot device. But in the first Fury Max volume it's intentionally over-the-top.

Action Tortoise posted:

I love that scene in Punisher Max where he straight up whips a military officer with his belt. Fury living up to his name.

Source: Punisher MAX - Mother Russia

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 3, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

EverettLO posted:

It's been a long time since I read it, but from what I recall you'd have to read awfully far into it to get something that reasonable out of it. It seemed like a blender where Ennis threw all his stock ideas whether they fit the character or not.

Fury Max Vol. 1 was Ennis simply 'having fun' with the character. Vol. 2, which just closed out this past Summer, went way beyond the original and is one of the best short-run books I've read.

Fury: Peacemaker isn't bad either, showing a pre-SHIELD Fury in WW2 before he was dosed with the less-than-Cappish super-soldier serum and offering an alternate retcon on how he lost his eye.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Since I haven't seen it yet, just to keep with Ennis for a bit more:

Source: Various Preacher volumes.

A few more here (a few are very decidedly NSFW, so consider yourselves warned): http://therec-room.com/top-ten-funniest-moments-in-preacher/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'm pretty sure the joke is that Lang has something that isn't the Ultimate Nullifier, but he and Uatu are pretending it is because the Watchers obviously can't blame Uatu for bowing to the demands of a madman with THE GREATEST WEAPON IN THE UNIVERSE.

The best 'use' of the Ultimate Nullifier is in the Space Punisher book. I won't spoil it here.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

goldenoreos posted:

There are no worries about age as long as someone resorts to a "de-aging" machine.

Not to mention all they have to do is ~science~ up some loving reason that because he's the Master of Magnetism and iron is so important to human/mutant/earthling physiology, that he's able to keep the iron in his body super-purified to the point where his blood is the perfect antioxidant. Hence, slow aging...and the only reason he looks older is because he's quite literally the Angry Old Man of the Marvel universe and he's always stretching his entire face to SCREAM OUT HIS BELIEFS!

Honestly, though - the -what the gently caress- about Magneto is for as near-permanently as he wears that helmet, he should be balder than Chuck.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

Why would that cause baldness? Lack of oxygen to the follicles?

Compression of the head, lack of sunlight or yes, oxygen, the sweating that undoubtedly comes from wearing a helmet all the loving time...

They've pretty much disproved that wearing *hats* often causes baldness, but helmets seem like they'd be another story.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Magneto is bald right now.

Yeah, I haven't read anything related to him in a really long time. My last memories of him were when he was rocking the perfect-90s hair.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

NYC Cops are a special kind of dick. Spidey looks so incredibly pissed by it in that last panel. It's perfect.

It's not only perfect, it'd be a great avatar.

Also, the cop wanted to give Spidey a ticket because Spidey would have to sign his copy of it, then he could sell the ticket for cash.

TheJoker138 posted:

That was only Ultimate Pietro and Wanda, and it was...well, Mark Millar implied it a lot, but then Jeph Loeb came out and yelled "THESE TWO ARE loving. THEY ARE BROTHER AND SISTER, AND THEY ARE loving. IF YOU DON'T ACCEPT IT YOU'RE A BIGOT," using the Wasp as his mouthpiece for this for some reason. There's literally a scene where Captain America realizes they are banging, and Wasp tells him that he needs to get with the times and stop being an old man, cause incest is the bees knees nowadays.

When 'spergers become comic writers, news at 11.

That being said, it somehow bothers me less than the granddaddy of all "what the gently caress was the writer thinking" situations like the Ms. Marvel/Carol Danvers snafu: http://carolastrickland.com/comics/msmarvel/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 22, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

No one's posted this, and the DC thread seemed really interested when I mentioned it, so here's the rather entertaining fight between Superman and Apollo (yes, the sun god):

These are very large when fully expanded:

And this is when poo poo gets real:

Strife (the bald chick) rules:

Source: Superman & Wonder Woman #2

He spends almost the entirety of #3 trying to burn off all the energy Apollo accidentally juiced him with. Has some pretty good dialog between Batman and Supes. Hell...even though it's not "funny," here:

But if he's on the dark side of the moon, then how's the Earth still vis...and how's he *talking* with no ai...oh right, comic book.

Source: Superman & Wonder Woman #3

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 20, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

Wait, so superman's sunlight-based power includes regenerating his clothes now?

Pre-Crisis, the suit was made out of speshul Kryptonian fabric that regenerated and repaired itself under a yellow sun, but since Superman routinely fights in places WITHOUT a yellow sun present (which is why I never understood why he could keep kicking rear end off-world, especially in a place like Apokolips), it's since been amended that the suit (but not the cape) is protected by Superman's 'aura' of invulnerability.

Either explanation works here - either the ~divine sunlight~ allowed him to regenerate and make his suit even more badass, or the sunlight merely regenerated his 'aura' and he *thought* the suit back to normal. The red glow around him seems to suggest the latter.

The book Irredeemable didn't have anything to do with Superman, but it did float a lot of potential theories that are applicable. The main 'superhero' in that one goes 'insane' in the same sense Joker does, sort of - just decides one day to go from being the greatest hero to the biggest villain. Turns out, he's the 'child' of these two benevolent aliens who were assigned to watch Earth, and despite having Superman-level powers, he doesn't understand them. He's more or less 'Q' from TNG-era Star Trek, and never knows it.

Better explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irredeemable#Characters

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 21, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I think the best part of that 'cat' picture is that Elektra's 'mounted' Frank, which just makes me recall this non-MAX Punisher story. In it, Elektra starts killing all of Frank's targets before he can get them, anticipating the next hit before Frank can even rack a round. This makes him think she's just loving with him before she kills *him*, since for some reason he confesses hearing a teasing feminine laugh each time after he realizes his prey's already dead.

On one last hit, right before he pulls the trigger, he realizes at the last second that the hooker with his target is Elektra in disguise. He confronts her before they kill all the guy's lackeys - she confesses that the only reason she killed his targets was "because she was bored," and then, no poo poo, he *asks her the gently caress out*.

Source: Punisher #27 (pre-2013)

Another panel in the same issue, where Frank's face is loving priceless:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 23, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gatts posted:

That sounds like a fun story. What was the book/issue if you know?

Punisher #27, Vol. 4. I have it because I bought myself the thick-rear end Punisher Omnibus as a Christmas present last year.

http://www.comicvine.com/the-punisher-27-elektra/4000-89994/

Another panel from the same issue:

DarkCrawler posted:

Next panel is "Marry me." right?

No, actually:

Then he asks her out.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 24, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So basically scattered anywhere that *isn't* Central Florida (or LA). Gotcha.

Namor's derisive look at those bums that aren't even paying attention to him must mean the scourge of Ayn Rand has spread to the deep.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 3, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

So...Sabretooth is Wile E. Coyote now?

Not applicable, as he actually caught his "Roadrunner" in this panel. If anything, the last panel's missing Creed putting on "deal with it" glasses.

Jerusalem posted:

So Wolverine and his enhanced senses couldn't smell him because a tree was in the way?

1. Bikes put out their own smell.
2. Sabretooth would know to stay upwind of Logan.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

COBRA is Amway with guns.

Seriously.

And, yes, Cobra Commander was - in the comics, anyways - originally a used car salesman; his older brother served repeated tours in Vietnam in order to keep him from being drafted (one draftee per family at a time, that was the policy). His brother, Dan, came home with what we would today call PTSD and took to driving recklessly and ended up killing the family of the man who would later become Snake Eyes because G.I. Joe Continuity is loving convoluted.

So in other words, if they'd kept with this, in the movies Cobra would be the 99 Percent mixed with anti-war groups and G.I.Joe would be pawns of the Military-Industrial Complex loving and bombing their way around the world like Team America: World Police.

"We are the ninety-nine perssssssssssssent!"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 4, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Is Madam Masque a boss?

She certainly appears to be in the most recent incarnation of her in the new Hawkeye comic.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

The sum total of Optimus Prime's life, knowledge, wisdom and personality, contained within 1.2MBs of storage.

Sounds about right.

640K is enough for *anyone*.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

So did Mister Eyepatch wind up being an agent of Cobra?

There's no way that guy isn't Zartan, and that the eyepatch on the other side isn't poking fun at Fury.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

From Wonder Woman #9:

Context: Orion's been giving Diana and all the women around her poo poo, and this is how she finally shuts him up.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Batman can't put a piss flap in the batsuit because while it might grant him the much-needed ability to urinate, it opens up an unacceptable weakness to Catwoman and Talia in particular (in addition to Batgirl, Diana, Zatanna, Jezebel Jet [since she'd have a new head thanks to the reboot], Silver St. Cloud, Peyton Riley, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, etc., etc., etc.).

The Bat Chastity Briefs ensure that the world doesn't explode because Bruce is too busy clearing his pipes.

"Superman to Batman, we need your help!"

"Sorry, Kal - I just realized that when mischievously good and evil women want to chase you generally it's just a good idea to let them catch you every once in a while. Batman *out*."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 14, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

WickedHate posted:

So Deadpool obviously knows about what's going on with Spock.

When Deadpool finally snapped and killed...well, *everything* in Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe, when Xavier attacked/probed his mind he suffered an immediate aneurysm and braindeath from what he saw (presumably *infinite* multi-dimensional insanity). Deadpool is Marvel's *reeeeally* hosed up Batman - when he puts his mind(s) to something, he can accomplish anything (which is why finding out he has/had a kid and that it's probably dead *wrecked* him for a few issues), he's unkillable (Punisher tried something like 20+ different exotic deaths in Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe including cutting him up into ~50 pieces and burying them all in separate places), and seems to have a rigged die for fate rolls because he's been hosed over so many times in his past that he's become immune to both good *and* bad karma. Reality and the fabric of existence hate him so much that anyone who ever gets remotely close to him suffers the slipstream effect of all the lethality and *hatred* targeted at him every minute of every day that he's able to just dust off just to maintain some sort of cosmic balance.

The point being, it's pretty safe to assume Deadpool has the same near-omnipotence about everything and everyone good and evil that the Joker seems to in the DC universe, since Batman's always been in the habit of running poo poo that stumps HIM by an incarcerated Joker every once in a while, and he always seems to know everything about anyone. So yes, he knows about SpOck, probably because he smells SpOck's 'crazy' on Spiderman.

He's a Mary Sue, he knows it, and god help you if he knows you. He's the most powerful *and* the most dangerous character in the Marvel Universe, his only weakness being chimichangas. That Watcher in Deadpool Kills Deadpool loves him because he's the easiest to watch - there's no way to interfere with pure chaos.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 15, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

So Wonder Woman just grabbed a dude by the cock n balls & threatened to rip them off?

What's next using the "magic finger" on Superman.

Seeing as they're an 'item' in their own book now...probably.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Speaking of the Silver Age, here's some content. I call it "Wasting Good Story Ideas":

To say nothing of the fact that the main point of that exchange is "stop asking questions, woman...now put on these heeled patent leather shoes!"

...makes you wonder if Marston ghost-wrote that book.

Metal Loaf posted:

I love this cover but I still find it a little hard to put into words exactly why I love it.

I honestly think it's down to the inclusion of Aquaman.

I think Superman hates Aquaman for the reason that when you think of it, they're pretty much the same character, except Aquaman's a Mary Sue that can go back to his 'home' whenever he wants, and all he ever seems to do is work in ways to go "Captain Planet" about how everyone on land is loving up his living room.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 21, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Harley Quinn #2 is presented sans context.

I can't tell if I like Harley's book yet. It certainly has a unique (for DC) feel, but the first issue left me flat. #2 has the most overt innuendo ever fielded in regards to Harley and Ivy's 'relationship,' though.

I'm also not used to seeing Ivy that 'bubbly.' It's disturbing. Those are practically anime eyes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

There are actually two other pages from Harley #2 worth posting:

(context: corpse of a hitman trying to collect on a contract on Harley...or it's the guy who owned the Dachshund, I can't remember)

And the one that finally puts to rest the Ivy ~hearts~ Harley debate:

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm not getting Ivy's outfit. Is she wearing a black unitard and covering it with leaves? Is there a reason why only one boob is leafy or is that a trick of the lighting?

If you check out the above panel, you'll see it's a unitard.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 24, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Superstring posted:

Is, uh, Ivy responding to the dead beaver?

I *assume* so, but in this panel...

(context: *this* guy was a hired killer)

You know what? Comic book. I'm just willing to assume the drat thing is like Stewie Griffin, and whether or not people other than the dog can understand him is up to everyone's interpretation.

Source: Harley Quinn #2 again.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ashcans posted:

You know how some plants grow flowers that imitate bees/wasps/etc to help with pollination? Ivy should basically be that. As in, the actual Ivy is some crazy mutant plant creature like swamp thing (or even less human). But it needs to interact with people to get poo poo done, and it knows that people don't like giant squashy plant things. So it 'flowers' to produce decoy bodies when it needs them to handle people, then get discarded to whither and rot.

All those times Ivy was at the center of a cluster of vines/branches and you thought she as controlling them? That was actually the real Ivy dangling her puppet.

Of course for this to be meaningful you would need to have a certain amount of body-horror revolving around the puppets, which how shallow their facade is or the weirdness involved with their discard/decay.

You're actually not far off from something that they already did. I remember reading a story where "Ivy" seeks out Swamp Thing because she's "dying," and she does, only to have another "Ivy" appear and tell Swamp Thing that she'd been looking for that 'copy' everywhere.

You're also not tremendously far off the story for "Harvest," which was a giant conglomeration of souls Ivy had killed via her plants. It was an *extremely* dark Paul Dini story where Ivy confesses to putting people (men and women) into these giant pitcher plants that digested them in a fashion that they didn't even know it was happening until it was too late. There was no rationale for her doing this, other than calling it a "guilty pleasure." She even went so far as to say that she'd even killed people who merely "returned her smile."

I've been trying to get my hands on Dini's "Batman: Detective" softcover TPB for a while (at a realistic price) because there's also an exceptionally dark Joker story in it where he kidnaps Robin in a minivan that still has the dead family inside and more or less gives him the Gordon Fun House treatment.

As for Harvest, seriously, gaze upon this and be hosed up:

Source: Detective Comics #823

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 24, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Action Tortoise posted:

Is that set during Christmas? I might have the issue in my closet somewhere. I'll have to check its condition when I get home.

I think it is - but don't bother. I just ordered a copy of the TPB used from Amazon - evidently a few libraries were selling B-stock for funds and I picked it up for ~22 bucks shipped.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I'm getting the sneaking feeling they're trying to lure Frank Cho over for this book.

I love Cho's drawing, but I don't think I'd like a Cho'ed Harley and Ivy. He'd give them both the "Brandy" treatment and you'd barely be able to see their heads.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 25, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Breetai posted:

Considering it's Ivy, all of those animals snuggled up to her should be dead. :colbert:

Actually, in recent canon Ivy's been able to alter, amplify, or completely nullify the toxin content of her skin and lips. In Gotham City Sirens, she even applied for a job at STAR Labs Gotham by taking the green out of her skin. And before anyone asks - she doped her boss during the interview and convinced him he didn't need to run a background check on her.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

All this talk of Harley and Ivy means someone needs to repost that page from a TAS book where Batgirl asks about their relationship while making an obscene gesture.

Could've sworn someone already had, but:

Source: Batgirl Adventures #1

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"I got every skill you ever had and then some!"

"Everything except picking up good hygiene somewhere along the way. I mean, dreadlocks? Seriously, Creed? Dreadlocks? The *real* difference between you and I is that I can hold my wad in long enough to get *laid* every once in a while. You're twice my size pretty much everywhere and you butcher and maim every piece of tail you come across because you can't chill. So don't whine about how you get second string all the time."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 26, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So I just got my slightly-dogeared TPB of Dini's Batman: Detective book and I had forgotten just how loving good these six stories were. The Riddler one involving him taking Batman to an underground BDSM club made me :stare: a bit when I saw the book was earmarked under "Young Adult." The "Slayride" story with Joker and Robin with dead parents in the back of their SUV would be enough to give any kid nightmares.

Here's a "motion comic" of the issue (with some pretty horrible amateur voiceover): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3pq8iP__HM (note: turn your speakers down once the Christmas carol starts playing)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 30, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I thought he kinda looked like a slightly skinnier Neil deGrasse Tyson.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Crowetron posted:

I know Max Landis is a huge rear end in a top hat, but this really sums up pretty much all my problems with The Joker and Batman.

"How did you..."

"Because I'm loving *Superman*, and you're just a gimmicky supervillain. Come back when you have eye beams that can instantly vaporize 99.9995% of all matter and *then* you'll be in my league. ...or you can just wait for this guy named Mxyzptlk to come along and trick him into giving you fifth dimensional powers."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Remember how everyone loved/loves the panels in Rover Red Charlie where Red keeps asking how his rear end smells? Yeah...well, page 17 of #3 has finally exposed this book as Ennis finally deciding to see how far his name will go. I can't paste the panel here because it's decidedly NMS and NSFW.

It's a panel where what looks like a young (and apparently mentally-challenged) boy is literally licking a bulldog's rear end in a top hat clean, while saying 'num num num.'

I don't even think DC would've allowed this in Preacher, and they allowed a LOT of poo poo in Preacher.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Okay Joes, new SOP for missions taking place in Cobra Town. All children are to be considered armed and hostile. If they so much as look at you funny, waste those little shits."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gavok posted:

Later in the issue, Agent Coulson tells Deadpool, "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go update your SHIELD file and increase your threat potential."

*After* saying "remind me never to piss you off."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What if the universe was ending by a Celestial Jonah? Because that last panel looks more Celestial than anything else.

CELESTIAL JONAH

Marvel needs to copy the Emperor Joker storyline and make it Emperor Jonah, where instead of killing Batman, Jonah gets to expose and then kill or humiliate Spidey/Peter every single day, over and over, for eternity. Or until someone figures out how to stop him.

Also, regarding Taskmaster, the only good thing to come out of Deadpool Max was the female Taskmaster.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It just occurred to me. Iron Jonah is basically Marvel's version of the DC Animated Universe's General Eiling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Wade_Eiling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjAO2NRcPqs (basically what I'm expecting Iron Jonah to do)

Fun fact: Eiling was voiced by J.K. Simmons, who played J-Cubed in the Raimi movies. And like J-Cubed, even after destroying several city blocks trying to kill some Justice League B-Listers in the hopes of attracting Superman (who was off-world at the time), he just leaps into the air still proclaiming he was 'right' even after they talk him down and tell him he's become what he hated, proving he'd learned nothing.

Sounds pretty Jonah-ish to me.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cangelosi posted:

MJ ain't no big deal. Peter's had to put up with Aunt May all those years, so...

(Amazing Spider-Man #520, BTW)

"Lady, my chest and back hair *is* my shirt."

• Locked thread