Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bates posted:

So the US is getting in on the HVDC bandwagon with the The Plains & Eastern Clean Line. General Electric even went shopping in Europe so it can get done right and proper :jerkbag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGmAt1eTKMw
Onshore wind is cheap enough that private investors will spend $2.5 billion to move it 720 miles from Oklahoma to Tennessee. If it holds up the wind-belt in the Midwest could become a giant, if diffuse, power plant.

The final plan to defeat tornadoes turns out to be systematically bleeding the strength out of nature's fury with windmills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I feel like former chemical weapons depots could also be reasonably used for housing those casks, especially as the casks are far less dangerous than canisters of nerve gas.

Nerve gas often goes to poo poo in a few decades of inproper storage, definitely useless after a couple of centuries, nuclear waste can be dangerous for a time equivalent of the time between the ancient Sumerians and present day. It's the unpredictability of ensuring safe storage during this time frame that makes nuclear storage quite a bit more complex.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

On the time scale of 1000s of years we're not really worried about the radiation anymore. We're basically just worried about heavy metal toxicity at that point, in which case you'd want to take the same kind of precautions that you take with any dangerous industrial waste product. We know how to deal with all kinds of dangerous waste products, and we already do a pretty good job of dealing with nuclear waste; we don't need to seal it away inside of a giant mountain or launch them into the sun. In fact, spent nuclear fuel actually still has a lot of usable energy content in it, so ease-of-access is actually a desired feature of any storage solution.

And if you're worried about radioactive waste, then you should know that coal fly ash produced at a coal power plant is 100x more radioactive than the nuclear waste produced for an equivalent amount of electricity at a nuclear power plant.

I mostly agree that the danger after several thousands of years is mainly chemical for the bulk of nuclear waste, but the radiation of core components is still in the double digits of mSv/h after 1000 years. This is not really a neglectable amount and is a good reason to think really hard about how it should be handled. The best option would naturally be to reuse and process the most dangerous waste further to convert it to more manageable compounds and then store the resulting waste long term in sealed vaults as many European countries do, but as I understand it the US is not too big on this?

In addition the difference between coal waste and nuclear waste is that the really hazardous and radioactive nuclear waste is highly concentrated, which is very important distinction in terms of safety. This is all somewhat moot though as the main danger/public health issue with using coal is not its radioactivity.
Finally, the radiation from coal burning is 100 times higher in the surrounding area of a plant, not in general and assumes safe non disturbed nuclear waste shielded via water or dry cask storage.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Assuming it somehow all stays in place for 1000 years despite being exposed to the elements in such a way that it's dangerous to people. Which is a pretty weird assumption to make, and would require rather unusual weather conditions to persist for 1000 years.

A major risk is not only leakage but also intentional misuse, for example future actors digging up waste and making dirty bombs. Given the timescales potentially involved this is a serious problem. Also, with human induced climate change being a very real and ongoing thing, unforseen and detrimental weather patterns should almost be taken for granted.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Infinite Karma posted:

I hope you cited this as a pro-nuclear point? Highly concentrated waste is about as good as it gets - easiest to transport and most efficient use of storage. Would having 10 1-ton casks of diluted but still deadly waste to store for 1000 years be better than having just one 1-ton cask of more deadly waste to store for 1000 years"

Otherwise, the solution would be to strap the waste to a block of C4, or spray it out of a 747, and spread all of the waste out (which is what coal burning essentially does).

I don't cite it as pro anything, I think the discussion of nuclear vs fossil fuels is pretty thoroughly in favor of nuclear in short to long term. I cite it simply to highlight the very real problem of storage that some people here somehow ignore.

In terms of ease of handling yes definately, but in terms of potency for damage its concentrated nature presents other challenges, especially since it will require exceptionally long term safe storage. As mentioned before the radiation hazard from coal burning is wholly insignificant, mostly because it is so dilute.

QuarkJets posted:

In addition to the other points raised, I'll mention that when we're talking about waste products, the apples to apples comparison is to compare the normal mechanisms for waste disposal: that's dispersal into the area around the coal plant vs storage in a cask near the nuclear plant. The radiation risks from either are very low, but if you're worried about the radiation emitted from nuclear waste then it's worth pointing out that the radiation emitted from coal waste is much greater than that, therefore you should be more concerned about coal waste. That was what the discussion was about, anyway.

As mentioned above it is not as simple as comparing apples to apples because one of the apples basically do not exist due to its dilute nature (and different composition etc), while the other apple do exist and needs to be dealt with accordingly.

fishmech posted:

No it isn't. If I want to make a dirty bomb, literally all I have to do is buy a bunch of smoke detectors. Or, I could break into any of the thousands of hospitals worldwide that do radiation treatment and steal their radioactive material. Or I could straight up order radioactive material off Amazon. Or I can get some from any of the poorly guarded physics laboratories at various universities out there. Or any combination of these methods.

Remember that the only actual purpose of a dirty bomb is to be scary, they inherently aren't very useful at long term contaminating a place or anything. That's probably why no one has ever actually deployed them despite the fact any one who can make a bomb can make a dirty bomb.

No, crazy dude, changes that create lack of weather are extremely unlikely. Any exposed material is going to get washed away and eroded away over hundred year plus timescales, dispersing it into the environment to the point you'll barely be able to detect it above background radiation, especially over the 1000 years you said we needed to worry.

The problem of international or accidentally release by future generations are serious enough for all end storage plans to include them so I don't really see what is so controversial about that. And when you talk about weather slowly eroding and diluting exposed waste to harmlessnes this assumes 1. the location of storage allows for efficient natural dispersion, 2. the storage is undisturbed during this time, 3. the nature and composition of the waste allows for slow sustained release and not release in big bursts, 4. human activity is not performed immediately downstream of any gradual release big enough to pose a health risk.

You are naive if you think these are easy to predict and manage on the timescales involved.

I'll totally give you that dirty bombs are crap as effective weapons though, and there are much better but less dramatic ways for intentional misuse.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Fun tech for supplying water current generated power, fly model planes under water!

http://minesto.com/

Not sure how great these sites will be in the short run if climate change make currents more unpredictable, but I assume the units and associated infrastructure will be somewhat movable since it the power generation is so spread out.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

LemonDrizzle posted:

I wonder what happens when a large marine animal hits a moving turbine...

Depending on speed, angle and size, I assume anything from bruises up to blubber explosion. They claim the technology is "in harmony with marine ecosystem" but I have a hard time imagining that a 10 ton winged torpedo does not bludgeon the snot out of any large animal it encounter.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Syzygy Stardust posted:

What’s the cost of that solar when you include the Patriot batteries to keep Iranian (proxy) missiles from blowing it up?

You dont need more patriot batteries, you just aim the mirrors! Now you just have to hope no missiles are launched at night.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Are stirling engines or something not used to maximize the energy retrieval from powerplants? If so, why not, lovely reliability? It always felt like the thermal spillage from nuke plants are such a waste and utilizing stirling engines to convert more thermal energy or enhance cooling would be so obvious, yet i have never heard anything of that.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

The US, that has reduced its emissions more than any of the Europeans? Was this Swedish politician speaking on the day Greta was born or something?

Ah yes, the US...

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Electric Wrigglies posted:

That $20 number is not the cost of solar plus the cost of storing it before distribution, that is the cost from the averaged costs inclusive of solar power that was fed directly to the grid which makes up the majority of power distributed from the combined facility.

You had me very excited as we generate power onsite between 10c/kwhr and 20c/kwhr depending on fuel price so this would have been amazing.

In light of the Covid enforced economic retraction, are batteries really likely to get cheaper now? Fuel prices are tanking and are gong to be tanked for next five years or so, so I imagine it is going to gut the non-stop number go up expansion of the renewable industry that was evident before covid.

I think much of the current fuel price drop now in corona times have been due to a price war between Russia and Saudi Arabia. I assume if that resolves the prices will pop up a bit. Though I have also heard that a lot of big money is also divesting from fossil fuels since the long term value of the buissness is in doubt. Mostly due to the fact that stated reserves are not likely to be fully utilized due to climate change and the associated public opinion.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MomJeans420 posted:

Sorry, I forgot about this thread. Is this thread still as autistic as ever? Do we think renewables are going to skyrocket during a depression?

There have been quite a lot of talk in europe about focusing the massive stimulus money after this crisis towards making the economies more in line with the Paris agreement. Which would likely involve more investment in renewables and less in oil and gas. Though so far the details about the post corona stimulus is far from decided.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That is so cool.

Big fans tends to make it so.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

First off, this is great info and changes a lot. That's not 'ahead' as I'd define it, that appears to be "meeting". Its worth noting the article highlights that its more likely they will meet it due to drops in transit emissions, not so much that they cut power emissions significantly enough to make the goal.

Second off: They still shouldn't have shuttered their nuclear plants versus continuing their use of gas and lignite/biomass. Biomass is not renewable, sorry. In a time when we need to cut every ounce of CO2 and Methane emitted, any sort of biomass is just a bait-and-switch.

gently caress off with the ad homs, by the way.

Why is biomass not renewable? I can understand some complaints, such as how handling some types of waste biomass in some ways can generatre methane emissions and how larger trees take time to accumulate the biomass and thus not offsetting the carbon emitted by burning trees right now. But over time it is almost completely renewable and dedicated energy forestry have very short generation time of 3-7 years.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

The issue is "what is biomass" because if you mean "biomass that's grown in a sustainable way that's not causing unsustainable land use change" then sure.

If you mean "Pretend its sustainable growth when it isn't, ship it from North America to Europe with fossil energy, then pretend that its carbon neutral to burn, and give bonus credits that make it effectively considered carbon negative by the emissions markets" then no:

Another example is the Californian emissions market gives such a bonus to capturing methane without concern for what created it that it will keep a few coal mines operating because it turns a loss-making operation into a profitable one. So the coal mine gets money for capturing the methane they created mining coal. Company wins, climate loses.

Also one has to consider the reality that as we continue into the future forests are getting less healthy and they will store less carbon. This means that we can't really rely on future forests to credit our current emissions even if the legal schemes say we can.

So basically the time aspect coupled with submissive regulatory bodies that are implementing crappy regulation. Lovely.

Rime posted:

You're stripmining the soil biome to burn the production and pump carbon into the atmosphere, the gently caress is renewable here?

Dedicated energy forestry can be grown in drainage ditches and are great at soaking up exess nitrogen in the waste water. Depending on implementation it can also benefit pollination, soil retention and be used for soil remediation (mainly heavy metals from fertilizers). At least here in Sweden dedicated energy forestry is mostly willow which is grown at least for a couple of decades before replanting, with harvest every 3-5 years. This means that quite a lot of carbon is bound up in the soil by the extensive root systems. Basically, it can be really great, and widescale implementation of it can be a good way to make use of either marginal land or boost/fix other farmland. Too bad much of the
regulation associated to it seems to be poo poo.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/AgBioWorld/status/1319799015723225091?s=20

Yeah, that land wasn't needed by any, say, plants or wildlife. Just cover it up.

Land use is not really an issue, any negative aspects for nature is easily compensated for in the long run by averting further CO2 emissions. Here in scandinavia they have even put up the solar panels on stilts so that the sheep can graze underneath, because the grass grows well in constant shade too.

Infinite Karma posted:

Fusion's difficulty in terms of energy-positive reactions that don't destroy all known or possibly physical materials seems to be on the level of "discover new physics that allow us to influence strong/weak/gravitational forces".

Easy, surround the reaction with black holes that vacums up the littering neutrons! We didn't spend billions on CERN for nothing you know.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Look I'm extremely pro-solar and I can still admit that covering vast swathes of natural land with solar panels is problematic. We still need to do it but just pretending like there's no ecological cost to doing it is kind of stupid

We're not going to blanket the entire world in solar panels or anything but we do need to try to minimize the ecological impact, because the scale of the problem is in fact quite large. That just means "do it in the most mindful waey possible", though. Covering buildings and already-paved surfaces can help a lot

I didn't say it would not be problematic, I just said it is a non issue if we fry the planet and those eco systems are toast anyway. 26% of the worlds surface is used for livestock grazing, 155000000 acres of public land is used for livestock grazing in the US, surly half a percentage of that could be combined solar farms too. And this is of course ignoring the vast amount of non utilized area available on human built crap.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Saukkis posted:

Life Cycle Assessment of Electricity Generation Options - UNITED NATIONS ECONOMIC COMMISSION FOR EUROPE
https://unece.org/sites/default/files/2021-10/LCA-2.pdf

It's fun to read these reports because coal just tops basically all metrics of bad.
Greenhouse gases? Check!
Water use? Check!
Human toxicity? Check!
Ionizing radiation? Check!

Even for land usage it is only the second worst after solar.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

You certainly could take a fusion plant to Mars. Everything else you can do with solar panels across the Sahara.

Paving the Sahara in solar panels is fun in a vacuum but as far as I know we still lack all of the following things to make it work:
The storage or energy transfer capacity to move the power to where it is needed
Political will of both the users and producers
Material resources
Local stability to be able to use that efficiently.

In essence if you are going to centralize electricity production it would be better to plop down a powerplant nearer to the end point users in a safe place, be that a massive fusion plant in Paris or Accra or wherever else that needs it.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Very few euro states have the know-how, and no one generates as much nuke power as they do.

Yeah, France retained the industry related to building and maintaining nuclear power, the rest of the EU did not. If I recall correctly it is basically only France and China that can currently produce the nice big one-piece reactor vessels for civilian powerstations, the rest of the world having long since decommissioned their huge forges that was not useful for making anything else.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

The thing with France is that they've found themselves an exporter in no small part because of Germany's incompetence/willful negligence (lots of high up peeps have a vested interest in getting Germany hooked on russian energy).

Insulation makes a massive, massive difference to heating expenditures. On -10C days the radiators in our house are barely warm, and that's in a mechanically ventilated place.

I thought it was also a postwar German policy to make themselves dependent on other nations so that they don't start more wars and get economic influence over their trading partners.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

To an extent yes but that was never supposed to be steered by substantial cheap personal investment in a single country's supply, especially for a critical sector

it was never supposed to be a policy of putting all eggs in one other country's basket - an obvious aggressor's basket to boot

But they don't invest in just a single countrys supply? They import electricity from all their neighbors, not just France or Poland. For fossil fuels it is mainly Russian, Norwegian, American, British, and Dutch fossil fuels, roughly in order of import amount. In total Russia supplies approximately 22% of the total energy consumption for Germany but they are hardly the only suppliers, being about as big as the next two or three major suppliers combined.

The point is though, that Germany seem to be perfectly fine with importing a lot of their energy needs and don't really seem to see it as a problem that they will end up buying Russian gas or French nuclear power.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

does it get rid of waste heat via cooling finns

While I'm 100% certain the facility has a sauna somewhere I'm not sure it is driven by waste heat nor that the personnel can rotate through the sauna at a fast enough pace to provide a consistent heat dissipation.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

they should make district heating be closer by and see if they can get animals that evolve to appreciate hot springs just like those japanese primates.

they then can turn this into revenue from tourists getting pics of animals using hot pipes to warm they private parts.

In Sweden we apparently have exotic non native marine life in the sea around our nuclear reactors since the water temperature is higher there.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

freezepops posted:

Nuclear is too much of a gamble in these regions as the actual payback depends on how the market performs for the next 30 years. Especially since solar and wind are continuing to deploy at ever increasing rates. How is a nuclear power plant operator going to handle a grid that at times has zero or even negative load due to high rooftop solar penetration? Will the future grid support a generation technology that loses lots of money when not at full power due to the large capital costs? Even ignoring all other large cost drivers that make nuclear a bad prospect in the US, the economic uncertainty alone is enough to make it hard for private companies to develop.

Couple it with a subsidized system that pays them just to waste excess energy on something useful such as carbon capture or nitrogen fixing or whatever else that one can think of. We subsidize oil and gas in dumber and more expensive ways.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Also, I'm pretty sure zaporozhtransformator whose production and headquarters are in Ukraine was one of the largest producers in the world. Now Ukraine has nationalized the company since a year back and is probably prioritizing their own state infrastructure due to Russia mass targeting their energy grid.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

M_Gargantua posted:

Its something that's been demonstrated in large tech demos but never deployed as far as I know. Diesel and bunker oil remain cheep and there is very little pressure on ship owners to go green. It's what would be considered TRL7/TRL8 level technology. The next step would be to put it on a useful ship, and then scale up production.

Though bunker fuel is mostly hydrocarbons I assume the contaminating sulphur and metals in it are kind of bad for the reactors then?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

marchantia posted:

My understanding is that it will likely be so. Gas fracking has a very specific place it needs to be to get at the gas and if it's close to/going through a water table, so be it. Seems with enhanced geothermal there are regions that are better for doing it, wrt underground geology and whatnot, but it's in theory easier to avoid environmental issues that have plagued natgas

So with enhanced geothermal, I guess it is not necessary to extract the liquid and any toxic heat-exchange liquid can mostly be recycled into the system? Or is it that it is simply not very toxic at all so it doesn't matter as much if it leaks into the water table?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
And the evaporate is troublesome to collect and use as a water source in that context I would guess.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

crude thermal inertia has been approached before, napkin math usually says no -- like it's not even close

great for your house for passive thermal inertia but just cools too drat fast for grid application, and the round trip is pretty bad

There's that thermal storage company that also has special photovoltaics that also make use on the light emitted by the hot rocks (graphite if I recall?).

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DTurtle posted:

I will never understand the hostility to energy trade within the EU + periphery in this thread.

Because the EU is not a monolithic block where countries share their resources and funding as within a country. The EU energy market and its pricing system has been something of a shitshow where countries with historically low energy prices get uncomfortable price fluctuations and countries have used imports as a substitute for expanding their own capacity leading to a lack of overall capacity.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

GABA ghoul posted:

Then that's the end for the European 2050 climate goals and staying under 2 degrees of warming. The only way for most European countries to remain self-sufficient are fossil fuels. Long term there may be other options like massive efuel storages/usage or nuclear power, but that's on timescales that are completely incompatible with 2 degrees(or anything close to it).

No, it's not a binary choice the solution is to build international transmission AND much more generation capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

GABA ghoul posted:

This varies by country, but in Germany the current consensus is luckily that the overall effect on animal populations is pretty insignificant compared to other habitat killers like high-intensity agriculture. Where it might actually cause significant damage to populations, i.e. in protected areas for endangered species, construction is already illegal.

And for species that are exceptionally affected by wind power like bats, some wind park operators have started turning turbines off during certain weather conditions that trigger large scale bat movements. This seems to work extremely well and massively reduces the population effects. It will probably become mandatory for wind parks that are close to forests in the future.

Overall Germany plans to zone out 2% of its land area for wind park to fully decarbonize electricity production. Most of this will be taken from the 50% that is currently farmland. German farmland is mostly a toxic sterile wasteland extremely hostile to any life that is not maize, sugar beets, wheat or canola and that is mostly used for producing animal feed. Building wind parks there is going to create habitats and massively increase biodiversity.

As far as I know plonking down a wind tower in the middle of a field will only create a very minor reduction in farmable land. So wind farms are not going to displace agriculture to any meaningful degree thus I doubt wind parks will create new wild habitats free of agriculture.