Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

My neighbour is A. Butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Canned Panda posted:

This came up on my wife's feed today:

Just a small town girl living in a lonely world.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Mazikeen? People are naming their kids after a demon on a lovely network TV fantasy police procedural?
You could be charitable and suppose they're naming their kids after a demon in a decent comic which got adapted into a lovely network TV fantasy police procedural, I guess.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Gonna name my kid Chode (pronounced like Cody).

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

It's time for the 2019 Name of the Year brackets!

Truman Peyote would be a good forums username IMO.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I have to assume some (most?) of those names are adults that had their names legally changed rather than names that parents picked out for their kids.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

hyperhazard posted:

It came up in another thread (AUG maybe?) that her third kid was named Titan. So, one step forward, one back.

That poor kid is gonna be attacked a lot by bullies.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Not an awful name but an awesome one, Kurt Russel's stunt double back in the day was a dude called Dick Warlock.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Winter Stormer posted:

I'm sure I'm missing the joke but it's "CLINT"
oval office HARDLN

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Saw a slide in a presentation credited to Dr. Ingo Bloink.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Came across an Odd Barstad the other day.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Don't talk to me or my sons Luuke, Luuuke and Bigger Luke ever again.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Runcible Cat posted:

Another victim of the Star Wars curse of "looks awesome but gets gently caress all to do and dies stupidly".
Hasn't it been pretty explicitly stated that they wanted her to be a Boba Fett-type figure? True to form then that she got a cool design but died like a chump (and then gets used a whole lot in stories outside the movies.

E: also Boba Fett is a bad name.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Nosferatu Zodd

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Vigilantly Vigorous posted:

Friends coworker named his kid Ronin Ash Ketchum.
That's disgraceful. He never even got the chance to be Samurai Ash Ketchum.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

All of this definitely happened, and also if she's booking a restaurant table in these times she deserves the derision regardless of her name.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Doll House Ghost posted:

There's a place here that has an extremely funny name in Swedish:

It means "six bridges".
🎶 Sexbro, sexbro, you're a sexbro
You can charge my crystal but it won't be no homo
Sexbro sexbro, you're my sexbro
And buddy you can turn me on 🎶

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

Hi! I'm from the International Union of Drawbridge Operators and we are looking for a new slogan ("It goes up... and down!", is getting a little stale). Can we use your jingle? It gets so lonely up in that box all day, waiting for someone to cruise through :( Please help. Something, anything.
You really need something with a bit of a draw.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I want this as a ringtone.
Unfortunately there's no version of reality where I can mimic Tom Jones, otherwise I'd make a sincere attempt to record this for you.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

https://www.cameo.com/sirtom4u

put your money where this person who thinks they sound like tom jones' mouth is
If someone's even considering spending money to make my dumb joke a reality you should at least get your money's worth. I'm not promising anything but I'll at least look at replacing the lyrics for the whole song in that case.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Maybe the parents just really like Neil Gaiman's "American Gods"? I think there it's either "Low-Key" or "Low Key" though.

I mean it's terrible regardless, just name the kid Loki if that's what you're going for.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Seen Bean? Shawn Bawn?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

This probably wasn't a very effective protest since the law remained in place until some point in the 2000s, but the law in question was the bane of trans folks here. The basic idea of the law was that you can't have a name that may cause offense, but the established interpretation of it meant that you couldn't have a name that wasn't in line with your legal gender. So all the trans people who wanted to get rid of their deadname before having their gender marker changed (which is An Ordeal here) had to pick androgynous names at best. I know a lot of Robins, Kims and Alex:es because of this dumbshit ruling.

It's thankfully not like this any more, but it sure took a while.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Wow, that is a problem I hadn't even thought about! Thanks for the information, Woebin, it's good to know.

Is it okay that I leave the photo up, since the name itself is quite funny, or would you recommend I remove it?
Oh I don't personally see any issue at all with the image, it was just a good opportunity to share some interesting/infuriating trivia 🙂 I vaguely remember a case hitting the news where the law kept some parents from naming their daughter "Metallica" too, which honestly was probably a good thing for the kid.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I saw Shang-Chi the other day and the credits included someone named Sarah Truly Beers, with I thought was a pretty good name. She should start a brewery.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Lady Disdain posted:

It is a perfectly respectable old man name. The youngest Ian I've ever encountered around here was born in the '50s.
I've known a couple of younger Iains from the UK, but this is regional Australia so I'm pretty confident in guessing that he's an Ian. Also, among the ever-growing crowd of Zaylens and Kaeleighs, perfectly respectable names are noteworthy.
Ian Curtis died at 23 so it's clearly a young man's name.

There's also the Ian in the original Fallout who's mostly known for shooting the player in the back by accident and dying by walking through a force field.

These are all the Ians I know of. Thank you.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Probably with a drawn out i, sounding like "Neega* to an anglophone. I'm imagining the same pronunciation as the Swedish word "niga", meaning curtsy.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

The customer registry of Swedish Nazi webshop Greenpilled got leaked and there's someone in there named Lupus Arachnida.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Holtin' my Hög.

Although I guess isn't Hög a verb, means something like to cut or bite doesn't it?
In Swedish, "hög" means "high".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Not a native speaker, but 'molestar' in Spanish just means 'to bother', it doesn't have the specific connotation of sexual assault it does in English nowadays.

That said, it's still not good to molestar someone, so it does seem like an odd choice for a name

e: misread, it's his surname. Not much you can do about that.
So if he has a brother, they'd be the Bother Brothers?