Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Just got a Wii u with my little bro over the weekend. Any games older games worth picking up on the cheap I might not know about? Is Wii Party U worth it if I need a motion plus controller and think the tablet games look adorable?

Also, I'm pretty sure the pro controller is my dream game controller. The dpad is so loving good. Can't wait until some techno wizards figure out how to make it work with a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Captain Mog posted:

Can you imagine how cool a Wii U open world Mario game would be? One where you could explore the Mushroom Kingdom in all its glory, with all the classic Mario-style shenanigans? That would just be so awesome I'm amazed someone at Nintendo hasn't thought of it yet.

I'm sure someone there has thought of it.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

elf help book posted:

In single player, once you get into the game, you can pause and there's a switch controllers button that lets you use wiimote or pro controller.

I think they were talking about how you can't use the gamepad to play coop with someone. You need two wiimotes or pro controllers to do two player. The only multiplayer with the gamepad is one person playing and the other "boosting" blocks in or whatever. It's loving weird and disappointing, unless I am just an idiot and couldn't figure out how to make it work.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
How on earth are people playing Wii games using the gamepad screen? Are you just setting it up on the dinky stand and using it exactly like a tiny TV? Why?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anything on the eshop I should spend my five free bucks on? Or would I be better off getting something on 3DS? Or just treat it as a $5 off coupon towards a bigger game.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Crawfish posted:

So Japan is getting the Mercedes DLC on the 27th of this month. It apparently gives 3 new cars instead of just the one we knew about.

Nintendo seem to be using this to also push out an update that does a bunch of nice things. It sounds like they plan to put the map on screen now, change the default option at the end of a GP race to next race instead of the watch replay it currently defaults to and add a records page that lists your total coin count and online W/L record, among other things.

No date yet for the rest of the world, but I assume we'll know before long.

Oh man, I really hope they make it so you can do local multiplayer with one person using the gamepad screen and the other(s) using the tv(splitscreen).

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Rosalind posted:

I'm having a get-together on Friday. I ordered a copy of Wii Party U and so with that I will have the gamepad, 2 regular wii motes, 1 wii mote plus, and 1 nunchuck. For optimal 4-player Wii Party U and Mario Kart fun, what else do I need?

Can't speak for Wii party u but for Mario Kart you're going to want nunchucks for each wiimote, for sure.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I really want a gimmicky local multiplayer minigame collection. Should I go for Nintendoland, Game and Wario, or Wii Party U?

Sportsfeiends isn't coming out on this thing is it?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

enojy posted:

Nintendo Land. Game & Wario only has 2 multiplayer minigames worth a poo poo, and even still, they kind of require a full house of poo poo talking and laughter to really squeeze the fun out of them. Don't know enough about Wii Party U to comment, but with Mario Party 10 on the horizon, I'm just waiting for that.

I already know Mario Party will be a disappointment for me. I want some crazy, asymmetrical multiplayer poo poo to spice up boardgame night, and it'll just be the same mini games as they always have been since the N64. Bumper balls is fun though.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably throw Nintendoland in my next amazon order. $23 seems pretty good to me.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Suspicious Cook posted:

This is off to a great start:

BANZONGAS

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The challenges and boost mode junk in NSMBU is where the game really shines, I think. The regular levels are OK, but the bonus stuff is actually pretty great.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Famous TV Dad posted:

I've said it before but the thief game in Game&Wario is one of the greatest multiplayer games ever. Its really sad that its premise will probably never be used in another game.

Isn't it kind of like spy party? But yeah that game looks hilarious. Wish I had my Wii U when I redeemed my plat reward cause I'm gonna end up buy wario down the line anyway now.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Kaubocks posted:

I only played about ten minutes of the first Pikmin back when I was 14 but I think I can safely say Pikmin sucks because I don't remember liking it.

I think I can safely say you suck.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Smash Bros + GC Adapter + GC controller bundle available for pre-order. I think pre-ordering games is dumb, but I want to do this for some stupid dumb reason. I picked up Brawl day of release and played it with all day with my buds. :unsmith:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Austrian mook posted:

Also sunshine was not designed to be 100% completed, the blue coins were made to create a meaningful collectable aside from the objectives, something it's managed better than any Mario since.

Not sure I agree 100% with your police work there...

"Yeah these levels of the game are tedious and bad, but that's cause you aren't supposed to play them duh."

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The music in NSMB games isn't great or anything, but I'd like to go on record saying that I don't really mind it and the wahs aren't the worst thing in the world.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I think the reason it bugs people so much is because all the characters do their little dance when a "Wah" hits.

I've seen this complaint a lot where people say it messes up the timing or something, but those guys must be huge loving scrubs cause its just part of the timing in these games. Its not random at all.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Starhawk64 posted:

Honestly I don't even know why people buy the Xbone and PS4. A decent gaming PC and a Wii U is basically all you need to play the majority of new games.

Heck yes. My tastes are weird enough to where this setup (+ 3DS) offers everything I want to play. I'm not into the third person action games that were popular last gen like uncharted and asscreed and nothing looks much different for these new consoles.

Platformers are my favorites though, and Wii U has the best around lately. Also, the local multiplayer!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

jivjov posted:

If you seriously have such low impulse control that a single-screen advertisement runs this risk of leaving you destitute, how did you manage to scrape together enough money to get a Wii U in the first place?

Also, you can always Opt Out of the ads. Its no more sinister than "Hey, buy a Big Mac" in the middle of a TV show.

Haha, holy poo poo dude. Its pretty lame that your videogame box turns itself on to try to sell you poo poo. I don't really see why someone would defend that.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Thank goodness. My self esteem had taken a nosedive!

Are these pikmin dlc things worth it? I have five eshop bux but it mostly looks like shovelware at that price range.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Wildtortilla posted:

If I have some Wii game save data on my Wii U and I decide to transfer data from my Wii, it doesn't erase the stuff already on the Wii U does it? Basically, I'm replaying some of my Wii games on my Wii U and after Smash 4 releases, I'd transfer over my Smash 3 data if I can use the gamecube controllers for it on my Wii U with the adaptor.

edit: DKCTF talk. I really, really like Tropical Freeze and just got to world 4 this morning. All this swimming is driving me insane. But boy howdy, the mine cart level in this world really outdid itself! I'm keeping my mouth shut cause everyone should experience that on their own!

I just beat World 4 today! Same exact thoughts, swimming isn't nearly as fun as platforming and that minecart level was :krad:

The best bits of this game are the insane setpieces with platforms flying up from the bottom of the screen and stuff falling and you just make a blind jump to grab onto a vine that throws you through a window without any time to think about what you're doing. It's probably my favorite platformer on the system. So so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

deadwing posted:

this right here is the combo of good game havers

been playing the poo poo out of TLOU multiplayer, Kirby Triple Deluxe, and DKC:TF recently, looking forward to finally playing Diablo III on Tuesday

Hehe, good thing you have that PS4 so you can play games that came out last year. :smug:

• Locked thread