Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have to say I didn't think Nintendo would sell me on this after the Wii but exclusive Platinum games, including an Exclusive Bayonetta 2? That's really unexpected and something that definitely changed my mind about the system.

On the other hand I'm worried that this will end up exactly like the Wii - a stopgap that will be largely ignored a couple of years after the new Sony/MS systems launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

It depends both on how the Pro Controller works and also how the console's "Wii Mode" works.

If the Pro Controller sends a signal indistinguishable from a Classic Controller attached to a Wiimote, then maybe, but that probably isn't the case.

If "Wii Mode" is more robust than the Wii's Gamecube mode and actually includes some options/settings, accessory functionality, and access to the Wii-U OS, then maybe, but that probably also isn't the case.

Man if I have to play Super Smash Bros Brawl with a Wii controller wii support might as well not be in there

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Iacen posted:

It's hardly surprising, but it still sucks that the Wii U is region locked. Way to be square, Nintendo :(

Yeah not really surprising but it's still lovely whenever someone announces it. Especially for someone who doesn't live in the EU/US/JP, we often import games from both EU and US. Digital Distro should help at least.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

DD is region-locked too, yes, and digital games are rarely released simultaneously in all regions. There's no workaround like there is on PSN, either.

Yeah but if you have a US system you just buy everything with US codes you order online, not that big of a deal.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Crowbear posted:

The Giant Bomb guys were very specific about that in the quick look. They could only use the gamepad for the block placing mode, but regular 4-player specifically asked for 4 Wii remotes.

That... what the hell. So what about the people buying this who don't have a Wii? Time to buy new remotes too?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

shadowobsessed posted:

Thanks for mentioning this, I just heard that the Wiimotes need to be the Motion Plus which is super lovely, but if it turns out mine aren't compatible I'd much prefer paying $25 each than $40.

... You need the motion plus Wiimotes to play stuff like New Super Mario WiiU?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vinlaen posted:

Do the Wii games look any better at all using HDMI instead of the Wii's component output?

I know the Wii U doesn't upscale the older games but I am hoping the HDMI (digital) connection does show some improvements ...

I haven't seen it yet but from what I hear not really.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

skywalker6705 posted:

The whole situation does however make me feel like Sony should be damned ashamed for introducing the concept of Remote Play over 5 years ago, over two handheld devices, and then proceeded to do absolutely NOTHING with it, only to have it be a core feature of the Wii U and a huge selling point.

Have you ever used Remote Play? It's really not good. You can't play a lot of games on it because they're so laggy.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just got linked that direct wiiu video and I'm getting reasonably psyched to buy a Wii U maybe? 2 games from platinum (maybe more, they were pushing their involvement quite a lot) and a game from the Mario A team, and now some GC remakes.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

If you buy games on the Wii virtual console you can still play them on the Wii U so I don't see what the problem is and I don't understand why people feel entitled to these updated versions. When you bought those games on the Wii, probably several years ago, you more than likely had no clue Nintendo's next console would have a gamepad to play games on and Nintendo certainly didn't agree that your purchase would carry forward for the rest of it's life on any console/handheld after the Wii.

You aren't paying $1/$1.50 to play your games on the Wii U, you are given the option of paying that price to play on the gamepad and use the new features which costs time and money to implement.

The only other scenario I can think of like this, is with the UMD psp games and didn't Sony basically tell NA tough poo poo and offer this same type of deal to Japan Vita owners? What precedent was set that people think they should get these updates for free? Were these same people upset when blu-ray movies came out and they didn't get free copies of their movies they purchased on dvd's in blu-ray format?

The Wii U has a "System Transfer" option. I know I definitely expected VC games to transfer over since I don't really care about anything else.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The OP here says the next Smash Bros is going to be revealed at E3, but I thought Nintendo isn't having a conference to reveal things this year?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

Not doing the standard E3 conference != Utter radio silence during E3

Yeah but show floor doesn't exactly scream "huge game reveal"

Didn't know they're gonna have closed conferences though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Has an E3 leak list ever actually been real?

I want to say yes but I couldn't give you an actual example. However I do know that when Capcom was hyping up the MvC3 roster and doing very sparse reveals someone came out and spilled the entire roster all at once, and people didn't believe his list for a while. Stuff like "Why would Zero be in if Megaman isn't", but then it turned out Capcom just hates Megaman oops

But Nintendo isn't even doing a conference this year so I don't know why they would hand out pieces of paper with all their secrets

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So a friend of mine got the Wii U. I was very negative on the whole thing initially but after playing it over a couple of weeks I really warmed up to it, although there are still issues.

Mario 3D World is actually a really fun game. Level by level not as good as Galaxy, but the multiplayer makes up for it. Trying to figure out how to get all the stars on some of the bonus levels is probably not intended for 3-4 people at once but dammit we made it happen.

Mario Kart 8 is neat but, and this is gonna sound crazy to most people, all of us preferred Sonic Racing All Stars (PC version). Sonic racing is a great game and the PC version is amazing. Personally I thought the racing in sonic felt better (except for the boats), but then there's the fact that the single player missions were really fun and varied on top of having a straight Grand Prix mode if you wanted that. If I got a Wii U myself I would probably skip this.

New Super Mario Bros Wii U: Bleh. I've played way too many of the New games for this to interest me and there's 3D world for multiplayer mario.

I do not like the tablet at all. The fact that I was able to play these games with the Pro controller probably helped, but the guy playing with a Tablet frequently had hand pain by the end. It doesn't feel well implemented either... why do I want offscreen play if I am playing local multiplayer on a TV with a bunch of friends? Also offscreen play looks terrible anyway. Can you turn on the system and play games without it? It always bugged me on the Wii how I had to turn on the wiimote to open smash bros even though we would use GC controllers for it.

The interface is kinda dumb but the Miiverse thing is cooler than I expected. It was really depressing seeing a Mii say "this game is really fun but mom and dad keep fighting". I like the little messages to occupy loading times, it's like a happier Dark Souls.

Personally I would like to see how Smash and Bayonetta turn out but I'm sort of interested in a Wii U now. It's just if past Nintendo consoles are any indication once I buy one games will stop coming out for it. I could always wait for Wii U2 and its backwards compatibility I guess :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Well I actually bought a Wii along with Smash, Metroid Prime 3, and Galaxy so pretty early. I just never found anything nearly as good as Smash and Galaxy once I bought it :v: On the other hand the DS release schedule just got better and better as it went along, and the 3DS seems to be following suit. Near the end of my Wii playing days I had a really big issue with it being not HD too.

I actually never used the tablet, the hand cramping complaint was from 2 separate guys over multiple play sessions. The pro controller is good and I would probably use it to play smash even over a GC controller. I do have like 4 wavebirds sitting around though, if they can be used for more than just smash the adapter is probably worth it.

Personally I like the concept of offscreen play, if I was to get the system myself and hide the shame of Bayonetta 2 from my wife. I didn't like how the system forced us to use the tablet when all of us would have preferred the pro controller though, even if 3D world actually has parts that need the tablet to proceed. In that specific case (4 guys playing on a TV), the fact that you can't opt out of offscreen play is sort of dumb. Also it does not look very good!

ALSO, I really don't like that I need like, the tablet, a Wiimote, a sensor bar, and a pro controller all hooked up to play a mario game with a pro controller? Am I wrong about needing the wiimote and sensor bar hooked up?

I still don't know if I would get one but it's definitely looking better than it was a year ago for me.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Tiny baby hands probably
My hands are huge and I can never find shoes that fit me. Also I didn't actually use the tablet myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok more impressions from last time on the Wii U I'm playing at a friend's

We finished the last possible stage in 3D World, Stage Crown-Crown, and now have all 380 green stars. Spent like, 300 lives on that last stage and took a break from the game for a week before trying again. One failed attempt had us run out of time as we were running to the flagpole, which led to a whole lot of swearing.

Really, really good game though. I was initially dissapointed that we didn't get a Galaxy type game but the fact that they did what they did and still managed to make it work in multiplayer is a feat. Even though I beat it all with friends if I bought my own Wii U I would buy it again.

Then we decided to give New Super Mario Bros U a try since we were in the mood for more Mario. Hooooly poo poo bad idea, that game is garbage next to 3D World. I played and beat all of the Wii one but after world it's just painful to go back to this honestly. One of the guys commented that it felt like we were playing an indie fangame after switching to it from 3D World.

And yes I finally played with the tablet a bunch. I don't like it :v: The pro controller is very good though. Also the screen on the tablet itself has some lag right? Was noticeable on Mario. I personally think the pro controller will actually be just fine for smash, and there won't be a need to buy the gamecube controllers they made. I guess it's different if you have like 5 of the things lying around already.

• Locked thread