Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
You all are making me feel nervous about naming my baby. Any problems with Sloane, Quinn or Cecily? Will my kid be endlessly mocked by people who know too much about the history and meaning of names?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
My kiddos at 13 months and still not sleeping through the night. If she doesn't get a bottle of milk around 2-4am (depending on how much she at before bed) then nobody gets sleep.

I'm going to start gradually diluting the milk with water over the next week or two to see if that helps. Is there anything else I should try? I really figured this would work itself out, but we really haven't enforced any sleep related discipline yet. Basically the routine is, I put her in her crib around 8pm-ish. She will wake up at some point around 12-1am and cry until my wife brings her to our bed. Then she sleeps until she needs food. After getting her a bottle of milk(cow's), she's usually out til 6am.

We both work full 40 hour+ weeks, so we are really scared of interrupting the sleeping routine, even though it isn't ideal. I think I've just had enough of it and we have to do something. This is our first kid so we are basically clueless.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I haven't specifically talked about watering down night time feedings with the pediatrician, but I seem to recall it being suggested earlier in the thread? I think the reasoning was that it makes nighttime feedings less rewarding.

Our pediatrician has stated that she doesn't need to feed at night anymore and hasn't needed to since she was 6 months of age. We are just a few days from 13 months.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Leng posted:

I... :stare: ours is almost 16 months and still has 2-4 night feeds, though to be honest I think she does that more for comfort rather than the need for nutrition, though sometimes I wonder especially when she's teething and refusing solids plus she reverse cycled from around 3 months so she has always had more feedings at night and very few during the day. We're still cosleeping because she doesn't want to sleep on her own yet. She also frequently wakes due to nightmares/night terrors. Thankfully we're still breastfeeding so at this point no one is really fully awake.

Anyone else going through/has gone through the same thing?! I thought the whole "sleeping through the night" thing was a myth in that it's really talking about stretches of several hours as opposed to from sun down to sun up. Did I understand wrong?

(I mean I could probably try and wean her off the night time feedings but I also don't want to mess up the current sleep routine in case I end up with something worse...)

Also someone please tell me that the super clingy stage ends. Carrying a constantly twisting around to look at things 10 kg toddler all day is not the same as a barely wriggling 4 kg baby. For the last month or two I've been experiencing random sharp twinges in what feels like my hip muscle close to the joint/socket at the top of the thighbone/under the sit bones. It is weird and occurs at unpredictable times and only on the left which is what makes me think it is baby related since she has side preferences in terms of being carried.

I guess I don't actually know what sleeping through the night really means. I assumed sleeping through the night was: put to bed in the crib at ~8pm, wake up at ~6am with no attention needed for most nights (2-3 times a weeks some attention due to nightmares or need for affection is OK). My wife was really happy to be done with night time breastfeeding, though now it's getting to where the kid is too big to comfortably share a queen bed. She getting pretty mobile while sleeping and I feel like she's trying to push us off the bed while asleep.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

WarpDogs posted:

I've also done the hand trick when he wakes up in the middle of the night. It's been a gamechanger, so maybe consider it for your own little guys

Can confirm the hand trick is pretty great. I'm to the point (13 months) where I can just drop baby in the crib at 8:30 and spend 5 minutes with a hand on her chunky baby leg and walk out. She might cry for a minute or two but rarely requires additional comfort.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

devmd01 posted:

The real reason cozy coupes have cup holders...

Indy goons! Used to buy my beermaking supplies from the guys that run brewlink... until they moved their business out of the city. Having lax open container laws makes walks with the kiddos extra pleasant!

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Seriously the first few months of baby raising is chaos. Do what you gotta do to survive. I don't know your situation, but if you need formula, know that some companies provide a new parent kit that has several samples of their formulas. It's great when you are trying to figure out what works for you guys.
Here's one: https://www.enfamil.com/enrollment

Also it was SHOCKING how much more water my wife drank when she was breastfeeding. So get a large water bottle!

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

life is killing me posted:

We can't put ours into his crib or rock n play awake, he will immediately cry when he senses he's being put down. So, we have to rock him for 15-20 minutes until he's for sure asleep, THEN put him down.

Ugh, I had that phase bad for like 2-3 months too. Eventually we just gave up on trying to get her to sleep in her crib and did co-sleeping for a couple months. Gradually we were able to work her back into the crib, even if she doesn't stay there all night. It will get better, though!

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

sheri posted:

Also my kid has almost always eaten less at dinner than at breakfast and lunch so if she's not as hungry come dinnertime the focus is probably less "get food in belly" and more "woooo let's see what sorts of fun stuff I can do with this!"

This, bigtime. My 14 mo kiddo will eat like 5 bites for dinner and give the rest to the doggo, but the Daycare employees tell us she is finishing her food and stealing food from other babies.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
We also just bought the COSCO Scenera for planned travel from IND to LAX with a 17 month old in January. I'm also planning on buying an umbrella stroller.

The milk in the bottle tip is pretty nice, we'll be doing that for sure. Last time we flew with baby she was barely walking and still on the boob. We lugged the big graco stroller and infant car seat attachment, which was probably necessary at the time, but now that she's walking/running around, they would probably just get in our way.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

As the poster above said, variety doesn't matter much at the younger age and toddlers love repetition so they will naturally want to read the same book over and over again. It's pretty awesome you are worried about not having a great variety of books and just caring about that sort of thing means your kid will be fine.

Send help, my 17mo keeps throwing brown bear, brown bear at us. I'm starting to bruise.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Flying with Pneumonia? Babby (17 months) just visited the doctor this morning and was diagnosed with Pneumonia. We were planning on flying 4 hours on friday to attend a wedding in California. Doctor says if she shows improvement in a couple of days with amoxicillin, she's cleared to fly, but I've heard flying with colds/respiratory issues is pretty tough. Anybody flown with sick babies?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Daycare provides snacks and lunch for our 23 mo kiddo. Lunch generally consists of like microwave chicken nuggets or lunchmeat sandwich or some other kind of frozen/refrigerated protein with a usually canned fruit/veggie and maybe some cheese. During the day they also get a fresh food snack like apple or berries and a fresh vegetable snack like carrots or cucumbers, though. Kiddo rarely eats much for dinner.

It would be nice if more of the food was freshly prepared, but honestly we don't often have time to even prepare ourselves food anymore on weekdays, so we are OK with it.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Well you got a few months before they actually start moving and requiring babyproofing.

Congratulations!

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Seriously, Kirkland formula savings easily paid for our Costco membership last year and we didn't even exclusively use formula. About 50/50 breastmilk/formula.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

The difficulty sort of goes up and down like a sine curve. At first it's really easy, they just eat, poop, sleep for a couple of hours, and repeat. The only really hard thing is the lack of sleep. Then they start staying awake for hours at a time and need constant attention and it gets harder. Then they start getting more self-sufficient and able to keep themselves amused. Then they hit two and start having OPINIONS and DEMANDS and gently caress YOU DAD I WON'T EAT THIS poo poo I'M GONNA GET SUPER HANGRY INSTEAD ALSO READ THIS loving BOOK YOU'VE READ SIX TIMES IN THE PAST TWENTY MINUTES AGAIN no actually DON'T READ THIS lovely BOOK I WANT TO WATCH THE VIDEO OF THE DOG GOING INTO THE CAR FOR THE FIFTIETH TIME

PTSD triggering really hard right now.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Snoop killed it in that storybots episode about computers.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

You are going to kill yourself worrying about caloric intake at that age and it's easier to just focus on getting a variety of foods in them. Once they hit 2 they also tend to change their preferences and decide they hate their favorite foods.

To avoid any crying about hunger my kids just were offered healthy snacks between meals.

Yep, my 2yr old just decided chips were 'YUCK'. :wtc:

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Yes my kid also closes books and gets mad when I go to put them back.

I'm convinced there's a younger less mature child inside my 2yo's head just rolling dice to decide actions.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Amazingly, we are at 2y3m and while kiddo could absolutely climb out of her crib if she wanted to, she just hasn't yet. We are switching to mattress on floor for Xmas (or when she realizes she can just climb out of the crib). I think in about a year we will see about moving to a real bedframe.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Never noticed the 4 mo regression because our baby didn't sleep til 8 months anyway.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

cailleask posted:

Ever since my daughter did a runner in TSA at age 2 - and went UNDER all the dividers, and then screamed like she was being murdered upon being caught, I wear toddlers in the airport.

Oh god oh gently caress. I was so afraid this would happen on our trip last year.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Cosco umbrella stroller and cosco super lightweight car seat carried liked a backpack through the airport. This is how to affordably fly with a 2 year old.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

BonoMan posted:

MASK TALK

We're just using a regular disposable mask and tying a knot behind the ear. This should be infinitely adjustable and works fine on our 3yo.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I've had way more issues with leaky (pee) diapers with our boy than our girl. Had to learn to try to tuck his lil wiener facing down and that helped stop him peeing straight up on his shirt. That probably won't solve your problem, though. How old is he? If he's not breastfeeding anymore, consider removing liquids in the last 30 minutes to 1 hour before bed? I don't think there's going to be a good way to redirect the pee to the rear of the diaper - but maybe try other brands?

We have had a handful of instances with our (now) 3 year old peeing through her diaper at night and we could generally link that to too much liquids right before bed.

I think I also remember reading a comment from a pull-up manufacturer saying that girls could use their boy pull-ups but they wouldn't recommend boys use their girls pull-ups because they don't have as much absorbent material in the front of them. It feels bad that they gender them with designs - for example pj masks for boys and minnie mouse for girls.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

He's 8 months old

We're using the huggies, and I don't think removing liquids right before bed would help. Those things are FULL when he wakes up, and he usually has an almost empty diaper when I go to bed several hours after he does. I'll see about switching brands and maybe that'll help

Haha yea, 8 months - fill that baby up before bed if you want any sleep!

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Can a kid somehow never learn how to vomit? Our first one (now 4yo) always had a weak stomache and has vomited on lots of stuff. Our second never really vomited and rarely spit up. Now he's 18 months and the other day out of nowhere he all of a sudden started choking on nothing. After basically opening his jaw and digging around in his mouth we found that he had apparently vomited in his mouth then tried to suck it back down and choked on it??? What the heck kid, just throw up the vomit! Terrified he's going to get sick in the night and choke himself...

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
That's a super tough situation to be in. I always like to think that whenever I have childcare disagreements with my SO, we both want what we think is best for the family. So even though we disagree sometimes we are always trying to do the right thing. That said I've never had success sticking to strict guidance from parenting books. That's how how my SO and I roll though. Tons of people do have great success with parenting training guides. Also tins of parents don't listen to them at all and do fine.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Just buy warmer PJs and let them sleep without a blanket, but continue to put in on them every night. I don't think my 18mo has figured out how to put a blanket on himself yet either - we often wake up to him in a corner of his crib with blankets thrown out of the crib or with him sleeping ON the blankets.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Yea, for all parents looking at bedsheets for their toddlers transitioning to a bed - just do yourself a massive favor and buy a duvet cover + duvet instead of the thin cotton sheet + warmer middle sheet + comforter that you may have been raised with. Our 4yo is pretty capable of covering herself by now with the duvet because it's just 1 piece.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Do we need to worry much about daylight savings messing with a sleep schedule? Or will he just adjust after a couple days?

Ugh, Daylight savings time is the WORST. We find that shfiting sleep schedule by 30 minutes in the direction of what it will be on that monday after DST for about 2-3 days before it actually happens helps ease the transition.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Santa is awesome and it's fun as heck to see your kids jazzed out of their mind for a month or more about him. I asked my 4yo if Santa should just give her all the presents this year and she said (paraphrasing) "NO! I just need some of the presents because all the kids should get presents" - so this year we are going to go pick out gifts to donate! I just need to figure out how to explain why we need to donate presents if Santa is supposed to just be handing out presents to everybody regardless of their parents' financial situation...

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I was dressing my 4yo daughter this morning, just like any other morning, when she asked me sadly, "Daddy, why do you always dress me like a boy?" Yes, I was dressing her in what are technically 'boys' clothes, a blue striped tshirt with chest pocket and some baggy sweatpants, but man does she knock me off my feet with her own opinions and feelings much more frequently now. I'm not ready for it!

We agreed to put her in a grey tshirt with a black silhouette of puffins dressed up as pirates because, well, that's a girl shirt(?). Why do they get their own thoughts- I just need them to stay my little puppets forever.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
We feel the same way. My nearly 2yo son is adorable in his sister's hand me down pink on pink strip PJs and pink overalls.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
We are planning on waiting with our oldest (August 15th birthday) because the cutoff for our school is August 1st, however they accept waivers for early entry into kindergarten up to birth dates of August 15th. I was also a mid-August baby and went to Kindergarten right after turning 5. I ended up actually taking a second year of kindergarten making me one of the oldest in my class. So if you enter your kid in early, it's not like they have to immediately take off and sprint through the school system - if they aren't ready to move on from kindergarten they can hang back for an extra year.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I have a Hatch 1st gen for the first kid and got the 2nd gen Hatch for the younger baby. Like previous poster mentioned they work differently and have pros/cons. Are you sure it doesn't work when the internet goes down? Generally Wifi based devices that connect to phone apps will still work as long as they are both connected to the same network. I guess I haven't had an internet outage to check it though.

I actually prefer the 2nd gen over the 1st because my Wifi network reaches well into my backyard so I can do yardwork with my phone listening for the kid, but bluetooth doesn't reach quite as far.

For both our kids we have them set on a dim red color and static sounds for sleeping.

e: our newer hatch has battery backup too which is nice - it will still work in power outages.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Taught my Daughter to do the guttural grunt Jon Bernthal does as Frank Castle in the Punisher when she was 1.

"What does the Punisher say?" "HHHURRRRRRRRHHHHHGGHHHHHH"

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

External Organs posted:

It's really impressive to me how much curdled milk vomit resembles some kind of real cheese. As you might expect, I am home from work today...

Edit: strep! Eh. Sure.

My youngest is a pro cheesemaker. He'll hid his sippy cups full of milk in crazy places and we don't find them for weeks!

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

remigious posted:

I’ve been joking with my husband that when our little guy is out of daycare I’m going to buy the Porsche I’ve always wanted.

Too real. I am fully aware that my daycare is cheap in comparison to many areas ($205+$190=$395 combined per week for a 2yo and 4yo) but man it still feels so expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Please god let me get there one day.

Our kid continues to wake up in the middle of the night. Even with sleep training though its gotten better. The lack of sleep effects me enough that I seriously worry about my health and trying to have a second kid. Also I'm tired of my in-laws giving me poo poo and advice for my kid not sleeping through the night. We do everything by the book, a set schedule, a regular routine, she just seems to be a light sleeper.

We start bedtime around 6:30 and shes usually asleep by 7-7:15ish. I dont think thats exceptionally early for a 17 month old that needs to be at daycare by 7:45AM. But my in-laws keep saying its to early, fuckers.

My first basically had this exact sleep routine until 2years. My second almost 3 now, but he's been on the 8pm-7am lights out in bed schedule for a long time now and he's often still up rockin about for an hour in the dark til 9pm.

I think your inlaws can shut up, because if your kid goes to sleep when you put them to bed, then that sounds like a perfectly fine bedtime to me, tbh.