Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

We put our 2-month old daughter in daycare for the first time today, and my wife is guilt-tripping herself to hell and back. I've been back at work for a few weeks now, so I'm used to not being around her all day. But this is my wife's first day back to work and without the kid. It doesn't help that one of our bitchier friends made this wonderful comment this past weekend: "I couldn't imagine having someone else raise our kids." Needless to say, I don't consider that person much of a friend anymore.

Any advice on getting through the transition? It's not like we didn't consider every possible option, but this is just the way things are going to have to be until I get a huge raise or we win the lottery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

We have a Foscam IP camera (had it in the house for security purposes already), and I setup an old Android as the "monitor." Works pretty well, and I modified all the security settings, so it isn't as "hackable." Most of the hacking stories you see, are people not changing default passwords / security settings.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I had an unpleasant experience recently with my in-laws and my daughter, and I want to vent more than anything.

My mother-, sister-in-law, and my nephew were down over the weekend visiting and helping paint around the house. We hadn't seen them in a few months, and my mother-in-law wanted a belated 4th of July picture with the kids, since they are both less than a year old, this was their first Independence Day, and my in-laws are your typical gun-toting, Fox News-watching, rural conservatives who are very into freedom. :911:

We get the kids dressed up in their red, white and blue outfits, set up a little scene with an American flag in the background, and take some pictures. I went to the kitchen quickly to turn the timer off because I was cooking lunch, and when I came back, my mother-in-law had replaced the American flag with the Confederate flag. I asked very politely what this new backdrop was supposed to represent in relation to Independence Day and if she was aware of my thoughts on the meaning of that flag (the South thought slavery was essential to their economy, wanted to keep it in place and put it into the expanding Western states, so they tore our country apart). She laughed and said my father-in-law requested the picture because it represents States' rights to him, not slavery or the horrible Civil War in our country. (We live in Ohio, so it's not like we have a history with Confederate sympathy that would be informing his opinion.)

I quickly took my daughter out of the photo op and said that I didn't want her in front of that flag. This irritated my mother-in-law, but I didn't care. I talked about this with my wife afterwards, and she was upset by the flag as well, but didn't want to confront her mom or sister about it because they're the type of people that shut you out during confrontation and don't talk to you for days or weeks after.

Ultimately, I think the relationship is still going to be fine. They know that I do not agree with their political views. My concern is that while I didn't care much about what they thought before (mostly just laughed internally at it all), now I have a daughter to worry about being influenced by them. We don't see them a ton, so I guess it's not a huge deal, but it's still going to be a lot of future conversations I'll have to deal with explaining why daddy doesn't agree with what g-ma and pops think is the right way because they're very vocal about their opinions.

Nobody told me that parenting involved parenting other adults, too! :argh:

On a side note: I know that the Confederate flag is a hotly debated topic in our country, and a lot of people have many different views of it. I certainly don't want to start a debate in this thread about it - just wanted to vent. My father-in-law even sent me a link to this page to show me that most of America doesn't agree with me. :v:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Our daughter is almost a year now, but has been doing small chunks of food since 7 months because she really didn't like purees. She didn't get her 2 bottom teeth until last month (still doesn't have any others). Teeth don't matter as long as the chunks are small enough to swallow. It's more about getting them used to the concept of chewing than anything else, and gums are pretty hard by themselves.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

My sister-in-law just informed my wife that her husband's parents drive around town with her 10-month-old without a car seat. I can't even imagine. First, it's illegal. Second, it's dumb. The most recent time, she picked her son up, yelled at her in-laws, and furiously stormed out of the house. She could hear them laughing at her as she left. Her husband asked her to apologize to his family because "nobody got hurt" and "we didn't sit in car seats as kids, why does our kid need to?"

It's just a lovely situation that she's in because her father-in-law is the mayor of town; the town is super small, so people would know if she did anything drastic (like get a court order or anyonmously call the cops on them); and the town is in the rural, Midwest where mindsets don't change (quickly). In an ideal world, she'd divorce, move in with us until she can get settled, and make her life better. But that's never going to happen. It just sucks.

/rant

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Our 15 month-old has given herself three bloody noses in the past week due to losing balance. It's so scary seeing blood running down her face, and she doesn't understand we're trying to help when we try to stop the bleeding. Since this is bound to happen several more times, any tips on calming the baby while trying to not get blood everywhere?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

How the hell do you brush your toddler's teeth?

My 18-month old won't let us near her mouth with a toothbrush. We never force it. We've tried singing songs, brushing her toys' teeth, letting her watch us, and letting her brush our teeth. Most days end up with no brushing.

We used to clean her teeth with a cloth when we couldn't get her to brush, but now she's starting to bite our fingers (cuz she thinks it's funny, not cuz she doesn't like it), so the brush will be the only option.

I'm worried that we've somehow instilled a fear of brushing that will last for her entire life and she'll end up needing dentures at 20. :sigh:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Thanks for the advice all. My wife and I are gonna regroup on the approach and make it more consistent between the two of us. We'll start small and work our way towards actual consistent brushing. If all else fails, we'll be firm but gentle about forcing it until she's old enough to really understand why it's important.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Like others have said, there's no hard-and-fast rule. My daughter slept through the night for the first time at 9 weeks. My friend's son slept through the night for the first time when he was 1.5 years old (I blame my friend's wife for going into the bedroom at every little noise to make sure their kid was okay, but that's another topic entirely).

Just hang in there. It will get better (but then also worse in areas you weren't even thinking about due to lack of sleep).

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 24, 2017

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I went to wake my 2yo daughter up this morning and she had had a bloody nose in her sleep. When she got up, she looked at her pillow and saw the blood and said "Red boogers, Daddy!" She must have been aware of the bloody nose happening because how else would she know to call it "boogers"? And then, if she was aware of it, she didn't cry or anything from this red stuff suddenly coming out of her nose? Kids baffle me sometimes.

To jump on the kids not wanting to do the things you want them to train. We've been using "if you don't do it, daddy / mommy will do it for you" and then giving her a chance to do what she wants. If she still dawdles, we'll say "I'm going to count to 3, and if you don't do it, daddy / mommy will do it for you." By now, she immediately does it when she hears "1". At first, after "3", we'd immediately do whatever it was, and she'd say "What happened, mommy / daddy?" - we'd then explain "I asked you to do this thing, but you didn't. I told you that you had until 3 to do it yourself, and you didn't do it, so I had to do it for you." That seemed to work for us, but all kids are different, blah blah blah. :-)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Not that I have a solution for you guys, but our 2yo had a phase where she did the same thing - crying inconsolably for about 30 minutes after waking up from a nap. It lasted maybe a month and then stopped just as quickly as it started. We figured it had to deal with separation anxiety because she typically falls asleep for nap with one of us in the room, and then we leave to go do whatever. When she wakes up, we aren't there, so she was scared we had left her.

In any case, it's hopefully a phase, and your kids will get through it soon enough and get onto the next frustrating (yet lovable) phase.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I'm not sure what the general opinion is, but I really enjoyed The New Father by Armin A. Brott. It leans a bit "crunchy," but it 100% focuses on the father's perspective, how to be an active (and good) dad, and deal with the various stresses / worries that most fathers have.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So my 15 month old seems to have his very first real fever. 101 ish though it seems to be well effected by tylenol. He doesn’t have any other symptoms besides being really tired, but its giving me a hell of an emotional shake just because he is always so active and to see him practically falling asleep in his high chair is just really disconcerting.

Im being a big baby tonight. :ohdear:

Yeah, go buy a lottery ticket. First fever at 15 months plus it's only 101. :)

Our daughter goes to daycare, so it seems like she has a fever at least once a month with all the communicable diseases that run rampant there. Her highest was 105, and that resulted in an urgent care visit. But by the time we were instructed to go to the facility and by the time the on-call pediatrician saw her there, it had broken completely and she was back to normal temp.

Our pediatrician gave us some pointers that we've followed ever since that day - fevers are a symptom of a lot of illnesses (common cold, flu, more serious poo poo). Sometimes they linger and sometimes they go away quickly. If your kid is acting mostly normal (even if a bit tired), it's usually okay. If the fever lasts more than a couple days, coincides with a clear sore throat, or gets extremely high (104-105 range), then it's worth a doctor visit / call. Also, I learned that your body starts shutting down at like 108 to prevent a fever from doing too much brain damage. Getting that high would be scary as hell, but it's cool that the human body has a built-in core overload switch.

Obviously, I'm not a doctor, and you know your child better than I do. It never hurts to call your pediatrician if you're worried. At the very least, they will reassure you that everything's going to be fine. Most pediatricians' go-to is "Let's give it a day and see what happens" in my experience.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

We had a family gathering today, and I found out that my sister-in-law's husband is a proponent of spanking, and she defends him (even though she doesn't participate in the act herself). My wife and mother-in-law had words with my sister-in-law, and it kinda blew up.

My nephew is 19 months, and his dad seems inconsistent on when he decides to spank and doesn't appear to explain why he did it. I feel bad for my nephew because he certainly doesn't understand what the hell is happening. I guess I'll just continue to be as supportive an uncle as I can, but I can't do much else, can I?

To clarify, it only happened once at the event and was a single, firm swat after he pulled my nephew away from whatever was incorrect (I'm honestly not even sure what was wrong). But an argument around it came up between the 3 aforementioned women that I overheard, and it explained a bit more about how it's usually handled at home.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Our solution to a similar issue was to use two toothbrushes. One for our 27mo daughter to "brush" and the other for us to do it right. We take turns who is brushing her teeth and she seems to like it.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Potty training is my new least favorite rollercoaster of parenthood. We started our daughter about 6 weeks ago. We went straight to underwear because that's what our daycare prefers when the kid starts potty training, so we did a whole weekend of lots of sitting on the potty. The first week was terrible - like 95% accidents. The second week was great - like 10% accidents. We have now settled into a steady rhythm of one day with 0 accidents followed by a day with 50% accidents. I know she'll get it (everyone does), but it's very frustrating when she suddenly gets up, says "I have to pee," starts peeing and then runs to the bathroom. It's doubly frustrating reading about all the "miracle" children that potty train in a day or two.

I will say her accidents do happen more at daycare because she's in the age group where a majority of the kids are potty training at the same time. There's no way in hell that 2 workers can adequately handle 7 potty training kids at once.

Also, my friends all think we're crazy for going straight to underwear because of dealing with accidents and messy clothes. But it didn't really affect us since we used cloth diapers, we were already cleaning up a bunch of pee and poop already - this is practically no different.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I don't know that I've seen much of a consensus here on any book recommendations. Books are as various as parenting styles and none fit all.

I'm personally a fan of Armin A. Brott's New Father series. It does a good job breaking down a child's growth month to month and "typical" fatherhood concerns. The one issue I have is that he focuses a bit on the leading edge of developmental milestones (mostly to get you mentally prepared for something coming soon), which at first made me worry that my daughter was behind when she really wasn't.

His Expectant Father book is pretty good at helping a dad understand what his partner is going through during pregnancy, too.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Oodles posted:

My 5 year old today went into the basketball club after school, hadn’t asked us if she was allowed to, and got one of her friends to come out and tell the childminder she doesn’t need picking up.

She’s 5, gently caress me this is hard. I’d take the baby stage over this.

How do I even begin to deal with this

First, I would talk to the school and ask why childminders are taking the word of 5 year old friends without any confirmation from the child's guardian.

Second, remind your daughter that if she wants to participate in something, all she has to do is ask. She needs to be reminded that you are open to talking about anything.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

My mother- and sister-in-law stayed at our house over the weekend. My SIL brought her 2yo son and 6mo old daughter. It's very hard not to try to armchair parent her son for her. She complained the whole weekend about how our daughter is so much better behaved than her son and how lucky we are to have her. I'll give her that the genetics lottery did pay us some favors as our daughter is very chill, unlike her son who seems to be hopped up on caffeine 24/7.

However, there's a clear lack of discipline going on for her son. She gives him what he wants to eat at every meal and only ever asks him to try food on his plate one time half-heartedly. She likes to have the TV on all day in the background in case "he needs something to do" (which was the one thing we put our foot down on this weekend and wouldn't budge, so she gave him his Kindle whenever he asked). She also uses watching TV / Kindle as part of the bed time routine to help him "settle down." And she always gives in to every tantrum he throws.

She complains about his hyper-activeness, his tantrums, and his inability to fall asleep at a reasonable time (10PM bedtime for a 2yo). And I'm sitting here thinking, put some discipline on your child, show him you're the boss, and see what happens. But I'm a good brother-in-law, so I bit my tongue the whole weekend.

Do you ever wonder how someone else's kid would be had you been the one raising them?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

umbrage posted:

Is there another partner involved for this kid? Is the MIL not saying anything because your SIL is combative/adamant, because it seems like maybe the MIL was also a pretty undisciplined parent and it just got passed down.

Her husband is the kind of guy who hands the kids over the instant things get rough. He also spanks, which is a whole different issue. My MIL goes along with everything because she babysits 3 days a week out of guilt, hates it, and wants to make it as easy as possible.

New Weave Wendy posted:

I'd wager that is the root cause of like 95% of what you mentioned. Cut the poor woman and kid some slack as obviously the whole family is going through a rough transition and maybe offer to babysit one or both on occasion to give the parents a break instead of being a judgemental jerk.

sheri posted:

Im glad someone else thought this as well.

Yes, I'm sure he/she would be the perfect hypothetical parent to those kids that aren't his. Mmmhmmm.

Totally agree with you here. I'm being very judgmental towards my wife's family. But I always have been because they're not the greatest people (how my wife came from them is beyond me).

My SIL is definitely tired of everything. When she had her son and found out her husband was going to be kind of a deadbeat dad, we offered to let her move in with us if she chose to leave her husband (spoiler alert: she hasn't, and he's still really bad for her, treats her like she's a guest in his house, and doesn't help much. He changed his daughter's diaper for the first time when she was 2 months old.). If she wasn't 3 hours away, we'd definitely be offering to watch the kids more. We do make it a point to watch the kids whenever we're visiting, and I certainly did most of the watching while they were visiting us this past weekend.

These problems started when her son was born, and her daughter has certainly made things much harder on her. I feel bad for her, but at some point, she needs to quit asking my wife for advice on how to raise her kids if she doesn't intend to use any of it or tell my wife that she's dumb for the way we raise our daughter.

I was mostly musing about the hypotheticals of how kids would turn out being raised by other people, which turned into an anonymous vent on the internet. Didn't mean to offend anyone with my personal family issues.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

sheri posted:

Is her husband a complete dick in other ways too?

I don't want to devolve into an E/N discussion, but he's not a good person. On the positive side, he isn't domestically violent (outside of the spanking) and provides for his family monetarily. My wife and I really want her to divorce him and move in with her parents or us, but she gets very defensive of him and her choice to be with him, so my wife doesn't broach that subject anymore.

To bring it back to the parenting thread. My 2.5yo daughter recently became afraid of the dark. The only way she will sleep now is if the door is open - night lights don't cut it. We did CIO to get her to sleep on her own initially (and we certainly wouldn't be opposed to doing it again), but this is different than before. We can tell that her cries are out of legitimate fear, and she runs out of her bed and knocks on the door until we open it if we leave the door closed. Once the door is open, she's fine.

Our main concern is her bedroom is at the top of the stairs, so she hears a lot of noise from downstairs now that her door is open. This keeps her awake for much longer than normal. With the door closed, she would fall asleep in 15 minutes, but now that she's afraid of the dark and needs the door open, it takes her up to 1.5hrs to fall asleep. Even if we're being super furtive in our talking and movements, the open-floor nature of the house makes any sound carry up the stairs.

Any advice from the goon hive? Or is it just a phase that she will soon get through like every other phase in her life, and she can deal with the less sleep for now?

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 13, 2018

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Also young children with sicknesses that make them barf are the loving worst because they just vomit EVERYWHERE CONSTANTLY WITH NO WARNING. Makes you wish you could put a diaper on their head.

And no matter how hard you try, you'll never catch the vomit. They'll wait until that one second you aren't paying full attention and happen to move the bowl / trash can an inch away from their face and then :barf: all over themselves and you and, somehow, things across the room.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Hi_Bears posted:

We’ve been potty training this week and it has been hell on wheels. I was following the Oh Crap book and felt terribly guilty every time I deviated from it. Finally today I put a pull-up on him because I just couldn’t handle cleaning up pee anymore, and for some reason he had no accidents in it and was less resistant and had way more success! It just reminds me that you can try to do everything by the book but the best parenting moments come from your instincts and just winging it.

We're following Oh Crap as well, and found that we didn't spend nearly enough time in Stage 2 / 3 (pants / no underwear) during the first go-around. Our daughter was equating underwear to diapers and would go instinctually without thinking. Once we went back to Stage 2 / 3, accidents stopped at home, but continued at daycare where they required underwear. We also used pull-ups on a recent vacation because we thought she would be too excited about the warm weather / pool / amusements to think about holding in her pee, but she was surprisingly mostly accident free - and the pull-ups did really help with the couple accidents she did have since we didn't have to worry about clothing changes in the middle of an outing.

For reference, we tried to push to Stage 4 in a long weekend, and accidents were happening roughly 60% of a day. After about a month of dealing with that frustration, we went back to Stage 2 / 3 for an entire month (except daycare) and accidents went down to once a week. We're now back to Stage 4, and accidents are still down to about once a week, are only pee accidents, and only ever a tiny amount because she let a little out before remembering to hold it. There's still progress to be made with self-initiation, but we certainly aren't worrying about accidents like we used to.

The Oh Crap book is very strict in some areas but super loose in others, and it gets a bit confusing. I gained a lot of helpful tips from joining the book club on FB.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I am circumcised, and my parents didn't take care of it properly. I have a couple skin bridges on my penis because of this. I didn't even realize my penis wasn't "normal" until I was in college (~20yo). I watched porn as a teen; people had seen my penis; and I had seen several penises in the locker room on the swim team in high school. Not once did it ever occur to me that my penis looked different, nor did it ever come up. No girlfriends nor my wife has ever cared that I have skin bridges.

We are having a boy in a month, and we will not have him circumcised - even though all of our nephews and friend's sons are circumcised. Our family and friends think we're weird to not want him circumcised, but we just don't see the need. And if we don't bring attention to the fact, he probably won't even realize his penis isn't "like Dad's" (even though it never would be) or "like the other boys' penises".

I know it's a very personal topic and there are minimal risks on both sides of the argument, but I wanted to throw my personal experience into this hotly debated matter.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 12, 2018

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

We visited a zoo with our 11 month old. I thought it was pretty interesting, from a developmental perspective, that although she was very interested in anything with four legs, everything else (birds, seals) didn't register with her at all. I spent a while pointing at seals, but I might as well have been pointing at floating rocks for all she cared.

Also, I envied a nursing sow. She had like ten piglets, who were scrambling over each other to nurse, actively fighting their siblings to feed. Meanwhile, the infant homo sapiens will actively resist it's parent's attempts to fulfill basic bodily needs like feeding and sleeping. I really wonder if any other species has young that even come close to being such colossally stupid, self-destructive morons. A baby pig abandoned by it's parents would eventually starve, a baby human would be dead within minutes from repeatedly headbutting a rock whilst getting progressively angrier at the rock and headbutting with ever more vigor.

At least she was interested in some animals. Whenever we go to the zoo, our 2.5yo daughter just wants to climb on all the decorative boulders or play in the mulch beds. She actively ignores the fact that animals even exist. (We aren't renewing our membership this year and will just be frequenting parks more until she shows an interest in animals again.)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

We did low-sugar cookies instead of a cake at our daughter's first birthday because I also was having trouble finding a good sugar-free cake recipe. They turned out pretty well and everyone loved them (even the adults).

At my nephew's first birthday, they did a real cake, and he ate almost half of the one they put in front of him before his parents decided to stop taking videos and keep him from eating it all. So some kids do go crazy. He's a very fat kid, though, and I imagine they don't do a good job with his diet.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Friends of ours took their 4 and 2 year olds to see fireworks last night and invited us. We declined. They thought we were being overly cautious in not wanting to bring our 2.5 year and 2 month olds to see fireworks.

I definitely wouldn't take my 2 month old to a fireworks celebration, but are we depriving our 2.5 year old of an experience by wanting to keep to her bedtime schedule and avoid potential "loud noise" fears?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Both of our kids are in daycare. Our daughter started when she was 8 weeks and our son started at 10 weeks, and they both handled the transition very well. While my wife was sad at first, she really enjoyed being able to go back to work. Also, there are plenty of good things about daycare if you want to put a positive outlook on the idea:
  • Early exposure to social interaction
  • Early exposure to having other caregivers
  • Learning new skills / ideas (our daycare has a rotating cast of teachers that will "formally" teach toddler-aged children something for about 20 minutes each day)
  • Exposure to disease (this sucks a lot, but is good in the long-run, as I've read that group-care children get sick less when they begin formal schooling)
  • Semi-structured group play
  • Access to toys / crafts / books that you likely don't have at home
  • Depending on the daycare - healthy breakfast, lunch, and snacks provided

Daycare has helped us teach / reinforce so many general life skills (e.g. potty training, learning how to use a cup, following instructions, etc.). Even if the cost is high (~$10k annually per kid where we live), it still only comes down to ~$4/hr for each teacher in their class rooms, which is much less than I'd pay a nanny / babysitter.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Newf posted:

Hello thread. My wife and I are expecting our first in mid November.

Does thread have feelings or general impressions on cloth vs disposable diapers? Clicking around about it online has made my eyes glaze over.

As a cloth diapering household, I will say that cloth diapers take a lot of time and effort and come with lots of headaches. It's a big chore on top of learning how to parent. There are leaks to deal with; the fact that they don't hold as much as disposables, so you have to change more frequently; making sure you get your wash routine right, so your diapers don't smell like a barn; having to wash diapers every two or three days; etc. It's a lot to deal with.

That being said, once we got used to the routine, it just became another part of our lives. We really enjoy cloth diapers and not having to buy disposables (we do use disposables occasionally when going on longer trips). It's also very good from an environmental standpoint.

Cloth diapering isn't for everyone, but it's worth looking into. Fluff Love University has been a pretty good resource for us.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

We're at ~1500 / month for two kids in daycare 3 days a week. My daughter turns 3 this month which will drop her portion $25 / week. I'm getting ready for all the hookers and blow I can afford with that kinda petty cash.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Levitate posted:

Daycare is 100% awesome for kids in our experience though, they have so much fun, learn how to make friends and get to do all kinds of things that we probably wouldn't get around to doing at home.

Agreed with this. We're the only ones in our group of friends that have our kids in daycare, and anytime we all get together, our daughter is so much more well-behaved and able to play with the other kids / take turns / follow instructions compared to our friends' similarly-aged kids. I don't know if we just are lucky to have a good kid, but I'd like to think part of it is what she's learning from her social interactions at daycare.

But then, the flip side is that my son is getting all the colds in the world right now from being exposed to every disease at daycare.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

hooah posted:

On an entirely different note, we just had our second on Wednesday, and my wife's already slipping toward "let him nap while holding him" especially at nighttime feedings. We did that with our first, and while it was convenient, neither of us want to repeat that. How can we get him to enjoy (or at least be content in) his bassinet?

The kid's a week old? I'd probably not worry so much about getting him to like his bassinet just yet and enjoy the fact that he naps at all. Try again when he's a month or two old. All kids are different, but the standard tips are to put them in the crib / bassinet when they're sleepy but not sleeping; and keep it cool, dark, and quiet in the room.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Now that it's getting colder, we've been trying to put a blanket on our 3yo daughter at night when she goes to bed. She acts afraid of it though (saying "I don't want the blanket. No no no."), so we usually keep it by her feet and tell her to pull it on if she gets cold. Most mornings when we wake her up, she says she was cold that night, but the blanket is still by her feet. We've tried several different types of blankets with different patterns and materials, but she doesn't want any of them.

She's not getting sick or losing sleep, and she doesn't feel cold when she wakes up. I think she might be saying that because she remembers that we tell her she might get cold at night and repeats it back to us in the morning.

Any ideas as to what could be the issue here or how to resolve it (if it even needs to be addressed)? I'm thinking it's probably just a phase that'll pass (like most things for kids), but curious to hear if anyone else has had similar experience.

Other potentially relevant info, she sleeps in a toddler bed (converted crib without the front railing) in her own room with a red nightlight. She typically has her comfort cloth and a body pillow in the bed with her, but sometimes she'll bring in a stuffed animal with her, too.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

life is killing me posted:

Anyone got experience with daylight savings time and the end thereof? This is our little guy’s first DST end and he’s losing his mind with tiredness currently, an hour early.

Anyone do anything different for this?

This will only help for next time, but for the 4 days prior to the change, we push bedtimes back in 15 minute increments.

So our son goes to bed at 6:45 and daughter at 7:45. 4 days before, it becomes 7 and 8; 3 days before it becomes 7:15 and 8:15; etc. That slowly gets them used to the hour difference and has them on the new schedule once DST ends.

We'll do the same thing in reverse when DST starts up again.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

I hate that our culture says it's okay to give unsolicited child rearing advice.

Sometimes it's very hard not to give unsolicited advice, though! When my coworker talks about giving his 3yo Mt. Dew in a baby bottle to shut her up, I have to bite my tongue to keep myself from saying something.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

VorpalBunny posted:

We literally took notes from all the crazy stupid stuff people did with their kids, and made sure we avoided making those same mistakes. My husband's cousin would give his kids chocolate milk, chips and soda when they were toddlers, then they had weight problems and those silver capped teeth as they got older. It's hard to bite your tongue, but unless it's straight up abuse it's hard to justify meddling.

Oh I know. I've been pretty good about not talking parenting with him unless he directly asks me how I'd handle a situation with my 3yo daughter. But I could write a book on how not to parent with all the anecdotes he tells me.

And I know everyone's situation is different. He has 4 kids (from 16 to 3) and there's likely some life stuff going on that I don't know about. So I definitely keep my opinions and thoughts to myself while at work.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 25, 2019

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

I agree this is a terrible thing to do, but "not giving advice" is as easy as just NOT saying anything.......

That's fair.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Our 3yo daughter went through something similar. She was starting to be afraid of the dark. We bought her a nightlight, and spent part of the normal bedtime routine pointing out things that are in her room to remind her of what she sees in the dark. The phase lasted maybe two weeks before she stopped crying for us.

I'd imagine if you remind him where you will be after leaving his room and making it part of the routine, it will eventually go away. Like most things, it's a phase that he'll grow out of (hopefully quickly).

I think your approach now is something I read in Super Nanny's book, so it'll probably work.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

For those that have daylight savings time shenanigans coming up this weekend, I'd highly recommend to start slowly shifting bed / nap / awake times today. It's much easier (in my experience) to manage small 10 minute changes than an hour change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

laxbro posted:

Daycare said that my 11-month old bit two of the smaller babies today at daycare. She rarely, if ever bites us a home so I'm not really sure how to teach her its not okay. Overall I think she's ready to move onto the young toddlers class, where she'll be around tots her size, and probably have daycare teachers that are more knowledgeable and willing to curb these kind of toddler type behaviors. Any advice appreciated!

My daughter has bitten and been bitten a few times - especially when she was in a room with teething toddlers. It's pretty normal in daycare for that to happen. Just talk to your provider about what they do in those situations (redirecting to an appropriate toy to chew on; moving the children away from each other; etc.) and reinforce those things at home. One incident shouldn't really set off any alarms.