Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
BabyLegs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I loved the K'Tan until my son grew into the Ergo. It's basically an idiot proof wrap because it's all done for you. I also had a Beco Butterfly, which isn't made anymore, and it was great for back carries but not as convenient for the front.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Just a note for the people who are saying to switch to formula... That might not be easily possible, unfortunately. My son's pediatric GI said he's never seen an older baby switch to the hypoallergenic formula successfully because it's so disgusting compared to breast milk.

Can you keep a food journal? If the streaks had gone away and just reappeared briefly, it's probably something that snuck into your diet. Keeping a food journal will help you identify the cause in the future. It may take a while for the milk proteins to disappear again.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Jastiger posted:

What is this? What can we put on it or do to make it less irritated. That has got to be a bit painful for her poor eye and I feel so bad because I don't know what to do:(

If you're breastfeeding, some breast milk dropped in there (or squirted) can be a good stop gap until you can have her seen.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

iwik posted:

I might have to get a special milk sippy cup for him, his daycare warned me off using the straw cups for milk because they see so many parents use it for both and the cups (especially at the top where the straw meets cup) can get really gross.

You can get little straw cleaners on Amazon that work great to keep things from getting gross. We don't have any sippy cups (just straw cups) and we've never had any issues. Supposedly, straws are better for oral development.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I just want to add that, with proper breastfeeding on demand, there are very very very few women who cannot make enough milk for their baby (in my lactation coursework, we were taught that number is between 1% and 5%). If her breasts changed at all during pregnancy, that number drops even lower. On the other hand, any supplementation with formula starts raising the likelihood of an impacted milk supply.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
We moved when my son was two months old and it was horrible. My husband and I could only work one at a time to get things packed and unpacked (which made it seem to take four times as long) and my son didn't nap the entire day when we were actually moving because of the hustle and bustle. I think it would be a lot easier to do now (he's 21 months old), although it would still be one of us at a time unless we got a babysitter.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I'm pretty sure that even the biggest proponents of CIO (including Ferber himself) do not condone doing it to a 3 1/2 month old infant.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Hdip posted:

We ended up going to the emergency room last night for peace of mind. LittleDip had "croup". It's real sad when he cries :) He sounds a bit better today though.

Mom has been using an Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump. It was fine until recently. She's gone back and forth with tech support from the Ameda a few times now. Replacing different parts even getting a new unit sent out. One side of the pump will not have the suction the other side has. She's basically over this pump now as she'll only pump about 1 ounce per pumping session. We've gone through all of our frozen milk and she goes back to work again tomorrow.

She wants a new pump. Should we just buy the Medela Pump In Style? Is there a better option? Planning on nursing for 6 more months. He get's 2 bottles while she's at work.

If she wants super efficient but not portable, renting a Medela Symphony can be cheaper than buying another pump. Personally, I wasn't a fan of the Pump in Style and got more with the Freestyle, but nothing compared to the Symphony for comfort and quantity.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

hepscat posted:

If it's at all possible (i.e., not life-threatening) to delay surgery until your baby is older, I would do it. Anesthesia is serious in kids that small and you should only have surgery if there's a dangerous condition that would outweigh the risks of anesthesia. Especially general anesthesia: http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/news/20120820/anesthesia-may-harm-childrens-brains

We read the actual study that's behind that article (and consulted with several pediatric anesthesiologists that we had access to via my brother-in-law) and the unanimous opinion is that the results of the study are pretty overblown and that the results were correlational at best. They never addressed the sociocultural impact of being a "sick kid" on their dependent variables and there are certainly correlations between increased TV watching (common with an ill child) and language development (among many other things, that's just an example). I do think that anesthesia should be used with caution, but I don't think restricting it to only "dangerous" conditions is a good plan either. Like anything else, it's a cost-benefit analysis and you have to make the choice for your child and your family whether potential undiscovered risks of anesthesia are worth fixing whatever the problem is, dangerous or not.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
We've been reading Sherlock Holmes to my 22 month old for a few months now as part of his routine. There's something sleep-inducing about just hearing me read aloud quietly with no pictures or anything to look at. It really seems to help him bring it down a notch (and as an added bonus, I've always wanted to read Sherlock Holmes, although I can't say it's completely toddler-appropriate bedtime reading...)

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Solid food is really just for the experience more so than the nutrition until around age one, so I really wouldn't start stressing out about food now (especially since the baby can definitely pick up on that!). Keep offering tasty foods and keep breastfeeding and you'll find that interest waxes and wanes but will generally start building as your baby gets older. I really like just doing finger foods at that point since it's great for motor development too.

Edit: look up baby-led weaning for some ideas about appropriate finger foods.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Lullabee posted:

I figured out his problem - he's sick of being fed. He wants to do it himself. He ended up eating an entire slice of bread (torn into pieces) just now. I'm going to start cooking chicken to cube up and hard boiled eggs to go with it.

I'm going to get avocado and hummus to spread on the bread, to give him more tastes, but what else could I give? We do diverse dinners, but I'm more looking for lunch ideas.

I love this website for baby and toddler friendly ideas: http://weelicious.com.

The Baby-Led Weaning Cookbook also has some tasty recipes. At that age, my son was pretty much being offered whatever we were eating, but in baby-friendly size morsels.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Rythe posted:

So I am looking for some additional meal ideas for my 17 month old, stuff that I can cook in mass and individually portion out, freeze and reheat to make food time quick and easier.

In the freezer we have pancakes, waffles, french toast, mushroom and spinach quiche, chicken and spinach quesadillas, jasmine rice with spinach, glazed carrots, english muffin pizzas loaded with veggie, chicken breast nuggets, fish sticks and baked mac and cheese.

Sp she had some good options but I am looking for something I can do with meat, she eats a ton of veggies and fruit but we haven't feed her a lot of meats yet, just because I haven't thought of quick easy things I can make ahead of time.

I really like the website Weelicious.com for healthy meal ideas for toddlers. She has some yummy meat recipes.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Lullabee posted:

Best straw sippy cup that's not crazy hard to drink out of? C has figured out a straw but I'm afraid he'll not be able to use the sippy cup ones thanks to the anti spill stuff.

My son loves his ZoLi for water and the Foogo straw cups for other beverages. The ZoLi is pricey but it conveniently allows him to drink at basically any angle because the straw has a weight at the bottom.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I'm a stay-at-home mom and handle all of our financials, so my husband is more likely to ask me if he can buy something given I know the state of affairs. It's definitely "our" money and, since I'm not 100% thrilled staying home, there is especially no way he would ever pull the "his" money crap.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
The updated guideline we were told was a first visit at one year and then a follow-up once all of the teeth are in.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Mercury Ballistic posted:

We are also looking at the Osprey Baby backpack carrier for the trip and also use around the US and our home turf. My wife and I are big hikers and backpackers so being able to take him with us would be nice.

We tried the Osprey and didn't like it. We have a Deuter and we really like it. Our son seems really comfortable in it and enjoys being up so high.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
There's also the concern that the airline may rough up your carseat if you check it (even gate check it). Given that almost all carseats are supposed to be replaced in the event of even a minor collision, it's not out of the realm of possibility that a worker dropping or tossing the seat (common behaviors with luggage) could impact the safety of the seat. Personally, we've gate checked a stroller twice safely stored in its travel bag and had it be damaged on return to us, so I can't imagine what they would do to a carseat, where you are dependent on the condition of the seat to keep your child safe in a car accident.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I'm going to second the "great job pushing for what was right for your baby" and getting the x-ray done.

I think most parents have been where you are, though. My son had a changing table mishap (fortunately, he was perfectly fine), a friend's son has had two concussions through no fault of the parent, another friend had her son need the tip of his pinky reattached... it only gets worse when they get older. ;)

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
My 23 month old is a champion pee-r at night, so we boost his diapers with diaper boosters. I'm not sure if they're available in Canada (you might be able to find some ones aimed at cloth diapering?), but we use Select Kids Diaper Booster pads (Toys R Us carries them here) and they work great inside a normal diaper. Sometimes we use two if we anticipate a wetter night than normal.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I don't know if they ship to Canada, but we LOVE The Honest Company diapers. They hold more pee than anything else we've tried and don't give any funky rashes (and my son gets rashes from looking too hard at Huggies).

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Lactose intolerance isn't really a thing until much older (around age six). The baby probably had a milk protein allergy or intolerance and luckily wasn't one of the ones with a soy intolerance too.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I liked the Baby K'Tan for a newborn to around four or five months old and then an Ergo for after that.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

kbdragon posted:

My question:
Little one does have her own seat on the plane. Is it worth it to bring her own heavy, bulky convertible car seat onto the plane? Should I just check it right away and be ready to chase her? Or should I leave the car seat at home, chase her, and rent one at our destination with the rental car we're already getting?
Anyone have experience with rental car seats?

When I flew by myself with my son, a flight attendant happily sat and played with him while I got his seat installed. I had him in an Ergo when boarding the plane and carried the car seat in front of us. We also had these wheels that you could LATCH the car seat to that were fantastic. I highly recommend them (we had the Britax brand, I believe).

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

We've used rental car seats several times. Never had any issues, and if it's gross just take it back (never had one that was gross). We find the hassle of bringing the seat to be sufficient to outweigh any benefit of having it on the plane. Note also that not all airlines will allow infant car seats on planes so you might be forced to check it anyways.

In the US, it is illegal for the airline to not allow an FAA approved car seat on a flight if you have purchased a seat. Most, if not all, infant seats are FAA approved.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

kbdragon posted:

Anyway, thanks for the feedback everyone! Now I only have to worry about the plane's supply of airsick bags. Morning sickness SUCKS - but Grandma and Great-Grandma will be so surprised!

Gin Gins hard candies got me through a plane trip at 15 weeks when I was still horribly sick (and medicated for it).

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Definitely this. If your kid isn't communicating verbally, get them started on sign language. It doesn't delay speech development, and it will make everyone much happier because you can understand each other.

This. Most pediatricians will actually count signs as verbal "words" at your kid's age because what they're really looking for is a desire to communicate (the motor skills can come later). My son adored Baby Signing Time if you're not opposed to a little screen time. He loved watching the other babies/toddlers doing the signs and picked them up quickly (he still watches both Baby Signing Time and now the regular Signing Time series at 26 months).

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

FlashBangBob posted:

I'm looking for what other parents had done at these ages to not feel like isolated cavemen and women, or if the answer is just, "This is how it goes in those first early years with multiple kids, gotta just stick it out." I'm okay with that last answer, just need to know that it pretty much is the answer.

We do a lot of weekend park and lunch dates with other families. We met them post-baby, but they're still people we would enjoy being around without kids. Four adults watching kids run around the park leaves a decent amount of time for chatting and, at meals, the kids entertain each other a lot of the time. It also leaves open babysitting swaps where you take their kids one weekend day and, the next weekend or something, they take yours.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I guess my question would be how those things are accessible to him. My son does not have access to our kitchen unless he's directly supervised and it's similar for other danger spots (bathroom, closets, front door, stairs etc.). We also made sure that his bedroom is 100% child proofed so that I can leave him there and there is literally nothing he can do to injure himself short of running into a wall. We don't have a second one here yet, but a lot of what we've established discipline-wise is simple avoidance... if he shouldn't play with it, it's not accessible to him. We've had a lot of luck with the Positive Discipline series of books, as well as the Aha! Parenting website (http://www.ahaparenting.com) after I got really tired of hearing myself say "no" all of the time.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

FlashBangBob posted:

I can get you a list later when I take a look at her iPad, but I do know that the "Toca Boca" series and the "Endless" series (Endless Alphabet, Endless Numbers) are ones she absolutely loves.

Seconding the "Endless" series... my two year old *loves* those games and they seem a lot more educational/well done than most. He's actually learned a lot about the concept that letters make up words and words make up sentences too.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Jastiger posted:

I'm somewhat relieved to see other people have problems with sleep and babies.

I don't know what to do or the best method here.

My daughter is 15 months old and won't sleep through the night in her own crib. We did a lot of co-sleeping up until this point and I think she's too accustomed. We have a pretty nice bedtime routine and she'll go down pretty easy the first time. However, that'll last anywhere from 15 minutes to maybe 2 hours. Then she'll wake up crying. And it doesn't just peter out, it builds and builds and builds until by the time I go in there after a good 15 minutes she's shaking and wheezing from all the crying and scrabbles towards me like I'm pulling her out of the frigid waters after the sinking of the Titanic. I feel awful.

So what we do is when we put her down we sit there and stay in the room. I'll sit down next to the crib and dink around on my phone with one hand through the bars touching her. As long as I'm touching her she'll be fine. Doesn't matter if I'm resting a hand on her back, touching her foot, have a hand on her diaper, she'll be calm. But....if she's not 110% asleep as soon as I remove my hand and get a few steps away she's screaming bloody murder again. I've literally gone up to her, placed my pinky on her back and she calms down and dozes. As soon as I remove it she cries and fusses. This is how bad it is.

The thing is, she's tired. If we bring her into bed, she'll pass out immediately. I'm holding her right now and she's out.

I'm kind of irritated at my wife because I'm pretty sure at this point we've spoiled her with sleeping in our bed that the only way she'll figure it out is if she cries it out and just become so exhausted she'll stay asleep. Except my wife says "I don't want to hear her cry". I don't either but...I kind of consider it part of parenting and our payment for letting her get accustomed to us.

What should I do? Should we maintain the finger-on-leg method to keep physical contact to make her go to sleep? This would take 30 minute sessions every time she woke up.

Should we just let her cry herself to sleep and forgo sleep over the three day weekend? Will it take longer to do this?

Will she grow out of it? I don't want her to be 11 years old and be afraid to do anything because we babied her to sleep for 2 years.

My older son was an avid co-sleeper and I was sure he would never leave our bed. We were very gradual about the process. First, we took one side off his crib and pushed it firmly against our bed so that he would have his own space but still be "co-sleeping." After he got used to that, we put the side back on the crib and kept it right next to the bed. After he got used to that, we moved him and the crib to the end of our bed instead of right next to it. After that, we moved it to his room. He wasn't able to fall asleep on his own so we then chose to move him to a mattress on the floor where we could lie down with him (and at that point, we got a new bed ourselves for other reasons, but it also made it clear that it wasn't a sleeping option anymore). The whole process took several months, but we got there with no tears.

As an aside, I don't think it's helpful to be angry with your wife on this. You need to come up with a plan that has both of you on board. I recommend the No-Cry Sleep Solution if you want a resource, too.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Jastiger posted:

She's 15 months she should be able to sleep on her own IF we need her to.

This isn't actually true. Children are ready to put themselves to sleep when they're ready. There isn't a set age. And no offense, but bedtime routines should be the same every night, not just change up when you "need" it to.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Hungry Squirrel posted:

My kid has very thin, fine hair. If I wash it more than once a week it gets brittle and dry. I use Johnson's classic yellow baby shampoo. She hates conditioner (though I sometimes can get sneaky and, after putting my moisturizer on, I can run my hands over her head and get some on that way). Who makes a good, deep conditioning, gentle, kid-friendly shampoo? As summer wears on, she'll need to bathe more often to get dirt/food/pool chlorine out.

We use The Honest Company's shampoo. Traditional shampoos can actually be pretty drying with some of the ingredients in them.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

The Grumpy Snail posted:

Its an option, but the thought of throwing all that milk down the drain makes me want to cry. I didn't think about the car adapter like someone else said. That's a good idea. Thank you both.

You can look up the local Human Milk 4 Human Babies chapter and find someone to donate it to if you don't want to haul it home.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

TheSpiritFox posted:

Opinions and advice? Book recommendations? Good kid's vitamins? What is in my power to do here?

I would try to avoid making it a power struggle, which is probably what's going on. With my son, we serve him veggies along with his meal and he doesn't get seconds or dessert unless he tries everything on his plate. We're very matter-of-fact that those are the rules and they aren't up for discussion. Your child can eat veggies in pretty much any form you do. My son loves salad with a good helping of dressing on it and gumbo would probably be a hit too.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Chicken Biscuits posted:

So, I just found out that in addition to being diagnosed with mono, my 8 month old now has the chicken pox! Has anyone dealt with either in a baby so young? She's got a slight fever and I gave her Tylenol and used Aveeno to help the itching. It's just crazy that she'd get both so young! She's not due for her chicken pox vaccine until 12 months; too bad she couldn't have waited another 4 months. :)

Aveeno makes an oatmeal bath that I remember feeling great when I had the chicken pox.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

momtartin posted:

Has anyone had the adenoids removed for their child? My daughter has had yet another ear infection after her ear tubes were put in, and while we haven't had the chance to get a culture from the ear infection, I want to know the risks of removing adenoids, because I'm tired of her being on medications non stop, especially if she won't take them a lot of the time because of the taste. I'll go by the doctors suggestions of course, but she's at a crucial stage of hearing (17 months), I don't want her to fall behind in language development.

My older son had his adenoids taken out when he had his second set of ear tubes placed at 23 months in hopes that it will avoid him needing a third set of tubes when these start to fall out. I don't know if it was having the adenoids out too or just that he was older (he was 12 months old for the first set), but recovery was hell. He woke up from anesthesia screaming and didn't stop for well over a day and then he was grumpy and cranky for several more days (even with pain medication and smoothies for his throat). His ENT didn't seem to think that the adenoids removal could have caused that, though.

He only had one bad ear infection while the first set of ear tubes were working (and that was precipitated by a plane trip). Typically, oral antibiotics shouldn't be necessary with tubes because you can give ear drops right to the source via the tubes. If oral antibiotics are necessary for some reason, a lot of pharmacies can flavor them, which is the only way my son will take Augmentin. Did your daughter have her hearing tested after her ear tube placement? Our ENT said that's pretty standard and it might make you feel better about language development.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
You could also pump mid-morning and then have your husband give a bottle of breast milk at night (typically the first feeding) so you can get a good stretch of sleep. Are you waking the newborn to eat every two to three hours during the day to make sure s/he isn't doing all of the eating at night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Marchegiana posted:

But long story short, all you can do is introduce the concept and keep trying to reinforce it over and over (and over and over), but the kids will potty train when they're ready for it. And when they're ready for it, they usually tell you in my experience.

This is pretty much what my son's preschool teacher told us. We haven't introduced much beyond sitting on the potty once in a while (he's 29 months), but she said he'll bring it up when he's ready. She also said the only non-potty-trained kids in the four year old classes are the ones whose parents pushed it on them at 18 months old when they weren't ready.