Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'd first get a doctor appointment, just to make sure it's not something medical causing it beside stress.

I've had a lot of issues with potty training my son. He's going to be 10 this July and he's still not fully there, but he's autistic, so it's to be expected. One thing that's worked for us is setting a schedule, and using a timer with a very audible beep for it. Every set span of time he has to go to the bathroom, and at least try to go. We also use a reward system. If he goes all day without an accident, he gets a small reward like a bag of Skittles/ice cream/whatever for dessert, extra time with his video games, watch a favorite movie before bed, etc. A week, he gets a bigger reward, like going to the zoo (only because we get in for free, otherwise that wouldn't be a weekly possibility), a new toy, a trip to the movies, so on.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

TheSpiritFox posted:

Opinions and advice? Book recommendations? Good kid's vitamins? What is in my power to do here?

Let him help choose, and prepare (to the degree that he can). With almost every kid I've seen, if they get involved in choosing and making the food, they're much more likely to eat it, even if it's the dreaded ~vegetables~.

Another thing I've seen work with kids that age is 'fun' foods. Ants on a log, cucumber flowers, a rainbow with different colored vegetables, stuff like that.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

jassi007 posted:

annecdotally, a friend had a problem with his toddler that he had a bad poop experience and decided that pooping hurt, so he held it at all costs. They had to force feed him laxitives because he would hold it more than a week, it was a rough patch but he basically got over it once he was medicated to go anyway. It was freaky, he used to lay on the floor and tense his legs up straight out holding it in, made you feel bad for the little dude. If your kid isn't at that point of visibly straining to hold it, it most likely isn't an issue.

Yeeeeeep. My son is autistic, and has that issue due to bathroom trauma. It is a super common problem with kids on the spectrum, and partly why he is still not fully potty trained at 10, also not uncommon.

He had massive gastrointestinal issues during his toddler years, basically cycling constipation and diarrhea constantly. So now going to the bathroom is a pretty terrifying prospect for him, because it was super painful for him during that time. We're still working through it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Backpack harness, if you can deal with people giving you dirty "They have their kid on a leash?! *nose in the air*" looks. They come in a lot of cute animal shapes, if you shop around.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Really, if you feel at all worried about your kid's language development, it can never hurt to talk to their doctor about it. It's better to ask and nothing be wrong, than let it go and have it be a an untreated delay.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Axiem posted:

Welp, our two-year-old discovered today that when we say the stove is hot, we mean it.

Anyone have good advice with dealing with a toddler's burned finger? Is teething gel safe to use as an anesthetic?

Children's ibuprofen or acetimenophen for pain, aloe or Silvadene on the burn or some sort of antiobiotic ointment, if it's first degree.

If it's second degree, gently clean any blistering without breaking them with mild soap and water. And get a recommendation from a doctor for anything to put on it. Anything past first degree, even some things made specifically for burns can hurt like a bitch if you put it on the burn.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Hungry Squirrel posted:

My kid is just over three years old. 28 pounds, 35 inches tall (wearing shoes). All the size charts put her in size 2T clothes. So why is she actually in size 3T, with some 4T shirts that fit, and now in size 5 pull-ups? Are the sizes that off in kids clothes, or do I have no idea what clothes should look/act like when they fit?

EDIT: She's in regular undies for the daytime, so it's not an issue of needing more butt-room in her pants to accommodate that; she's just in overnights.

Size charts are a lie, and sizes aren't really standardized across brands.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Baby teeth are just the worst. Nothing like having your son come to you two hours after he was supposed to have gone to sleep, blood all down his chin, and going "Look, I got a tooth out!" Boy just cannot let the drat things fall out when they're ready. Wiggles and worries at it until he gets it out. I can't wait for them to be done with.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

An antihistamine might help if it's a reaction to something in the adhesive on the sticker.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Madra De Dhia posted:

Rory's 17 months old and he's still not saying many words. He'll say "Up" and "hiiii" and "bye!" but that's it. He'll follow directions and knows the words for things we ask him for, and will point at things he wants or take your hand and lead you, but he's mostly just using "up" for everything. When do I need to worry about this?

Some kids are just late bloomers when it comes to talking. Receptive speech is normally ahead of expressive speech, like you describe. At that age it could be a late bloomer issue, it could be a developmental issue. My stock advice whenever it comes to possible speech delays is if you're even a little concerned it never hurts to talk to their doctor about it. It's better to get testing done and find out everything is fine, than to let it go and leave a delay to sit.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

On that note, the Children's Museum of Virginia, in Portsmouth, is pretty great. Lot of hands on stuff on different topics, and it was renovated fairly recently (2009, the entire building was gutted to bring it up to date), so it's looking pretty nice overall.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Marchegiana posted:

Yeah pretty much as soon as your kids get mobile until they're about 7-8 years old they're just gonna have a bunch of self-inflicted bruises and scrapes from random poo poo. It's pretty normal. Hell my oldest daughter had a black eye in her preschool graduation photo- she got that by running headlong into another kid on the playground. They bounce back pretty fast though if you can resist the urge to freak out over it. :)

e: actually revise that, for some kids it may be older. My youngest is 8 and came home from summer camp with both elbows and knees covered in scrapes because she was hiking with her head in the clouds all the time. Big sis Sofia tells me the counselors were good about it and every time it happened they'd ask Julie if gravity was still working right, in response to which she would laugh and give a big thumbs up.

Definitely older for some kids. My son is 10, and pretty much constantly one giant bruise. Some kids are just clumsy or don't pay attention to what they're doing, and ram into everything at top speed.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son has finally seemed to grow to if not like, at least tolerate school. Toward the end of last school year almost no screaming meltdowns, no taking swings at the teachers, and no throwing his shoes and/or his desk at people. Also during the month of his extended school year (he gets part of June, and all of August off, the rest he goes to class), with none at all. And so far this first week in the fifth grade.

We also finally seem to have settled into a medication set up that has finally stablized his moods and self-harming behavior. We've gone a full year without the self-harming cropping back up, and having to rejigger his medications.

I got his standardized test scores for last year back, and he failed every single one, so that was a bit of a downer. But I'm hoping with everything seeming to be going well, he can bring his scores back up.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

VorpalBunny posted:

On another note, her older brother is just not interested in potty training. He knows he can't go to preschool in diapers, he has a little potty to use and we put him on it in the morning and at night, but he just doesn't care. We tried potty training him once, and he just peed all over himself constantly. We bought special underwear, gave him treats, praised him, watched potty training videos, but none of it connected to any kind of training. Please, someone tell me it really does "click" at some point, and I won't be changing his diapers when he's a teenager.

It does eventually just click with kids. And statistically, boys tend to take longer to get there, and even once they've got day time down, tend to have trouble with over night. With mine, it was like someone flicked a switch. One day, he's wetting himself every time. The next, he's going in the toilet consistently.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Quick little addition to the stuff I posted earlier about my son and school. He managed to have great days this entire first week, and got 100% on a clock reading quiz they did (all analog clocks). I haven't seen a 100% score on anything in a good while. I'm going to treat him to a nice meal out at a place he likes, because drat, I am ecstatic about all this right now.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Fionnoula posted:

I'm wondering, since he's doing quite well otherwise, if the standardized test scores may actually indicate an issue of accommodation in test taking? Would it be at all beneficial to investigate whether testing in a lower stress, lower distraction environment such as the counselor's office rather than in the classroom with dozens of other kids might have an affect?

He actually just got accomodations put in place over this past year. He gets the Plain English version of the tests, various manipulatives to help in math, questions on the math test read to him if necessary, an extended testing time, and testing in a separate room. However they were finalized right before testing, so I think it was a combination of not being used to the accomodations, and just generally being so very behind in everything.

He's much closer to caught up to where he needs to be than when he started the fourth grade, so I'm hoping the accomodations, combined with the extended school years, and being in much smaller classes with more one on one time will get him there fully.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 5, 2014

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I missed the puke talk but I'm still going to share my story anyway. Way back when the kid was a few months old, old enough to have neck control, he was having a bad crying jag. I had tried walking, rocking, patting, etc. etc. So sitting in the chair with him, I get my hands under his arms, and hold him up to be all "Awww, what's wrong?" for a change of pace.

And that's when he puked.

Onto my face.

Into my open mouth.

I will remember the taste until the end of my days. I'll be laying on my deathbed, and the last thing to come to my mind before I drift into the endless sleep will be the smell and taste of baby vomit.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sockmuppet posted:

Oh my god, my screentime-hating toddler sat relatively still through 10 whole minutes of that! Thank you so much for the tip!

Also, pukechat finally caught up with me last night. She managed to somehow hit everything even vaguely bed-related, and after a second bout 15 minutes later, finally ended up sleeping in improvies wool jammies in her travel bed, under her newborn-size duvet. On occasions such as these I really wish her room was tiled from floor to ceiling and had a drain in the floor, so we could just hose down everything in it.

Off to google "how to get puke out of foam mattress" :barf:

With you there. The boy had explosive from both end issues last night. He somehow miraculously managed to miss himself entirely with the puke. I just stuck him in the shower and hosed him off with the showerhead, and then a quick scrub down with some body wash. The rest of the room....was not so easy.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kodilynn posted:

Anyone have any good alternatives to medication therapy for ADD type behavior?

Our 5 year old daughter a year ago was diagnosed with a central processing disorder which we went through occupational therapy to help resolve (and "Graduated" from after 8 months), and she sees a regular therapist as well. She's in Kindergarten now and she won't sit still, won't listen to directions, and ends up being separated from all the other kids from acting out on almost a daily basis. We've talked to her repeatedly, we've taken things away that she likes with the message that it's not okay, etc. and she does have a family history of ADD that runs heavily in the family on top of her mothers major anxiety disorder problems that the kid is already showing signs of having beyond the normal social anxiety's.

She's showing heavy signs of both, but at the same time I want to always toss out "she's just being 5", but I can't make that excuse forever. My wife is very averse to the medication route and therapy seems to not be doing much, but the therapist doesn't like labeling kids with ADD before at least age 6, so it may be inevitable. I'd be open to any ideas for this as it's seemingly getting worse, and I tire of the daily e-mails from her teacher about her behavior and apologizing for it.

We have a daily routine for her that involves a sensory diet for ups and downs that we do, but honestly it doesn't seem all that beneficial. We try to wear her out physically every night keeping her busy with activities and games so she gets it out of her system for school, but it doesn't seem to phase her energy level. She's bright as hell, but I'm running out of ideas.

I was somewhat resistant to the idea of medication for my son at first. But then his stimming behaviors developed into self-harming stims, and welp. The change between unmedicated, and medicated was like night and day. If that turns out to be what's needed, it's kinder to your child to try a combination of medication and therapy, than just try to hack it with therapy alone. My son is severely ADHD (amongst other things), to the point where the therapy pretty much couldn't get through because he just couldn't focus. The medication brought him to a level where the therapy could start helping.

He's now on four separate psychiatric medicines, but that's because he's got multiple comorbid issues that aren't really a "one medicine" sort of deal.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

AlistairCookie posted:

New topic: I think I ask this here every year. What do I get my developmentally delayed niece for Christmas? Asking her parents isn't super helpful (because she'll be fine, catch up, she doesn't need a PECS board, nothing to see here, it's not relevant...) She's 5, non verbal, limited fine motor skills. She doesn't need clothes. ;) Last year I got her a couple sets of wooden, magnet, dress up dolls. I've gotten her picture books, puzzles, blocks, in the past.

When my son was little, he loved the the big chunky Lego blocks specific made for little kids (DUPLO). He was very very delayed in his fine motor skills, but with some assistance, he was able to play with them and really enjoyed them.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I managed to keep from catching a cold until the day after all the Christmas festivities. Only now my sinuses feel like they're going to explode, and my son has suddenly become obsessed with wanting to give me a kiss on the cheek while I'm trying to avoid getting my cooties all over all his things. Normally, he's not particularly keen on too much physical contact, so of course he pulls a complete 180 when I am feeling like death warmed over.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I run into a lot of anti-vaxxers, since my kid is autistic, and obviously those circles are lousy with them. The looks on their faces when I'm pretty much "Oh, he got ALL of them. Chicken pox, too. And flu. Every year." are pretty amazing.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Choadmaster posted:

There's some bullshit about food allergies being caused by vaccinations too* and a friend of mine works with some of these moms. He overheard some talking about it once and one says, "Doesn't your son have a peanut allergy?" to which the response was "Yeah, but it's pretty mild. Can you imagine how bad it might have been if I DID get him vaccinated?" :psyduck:

Guess whose kids got hit during our local pertussis outbreak?

* Interestingly, research seems to be pointing at both mothers' immune systems and gut flora as large factors in both autism and allergies, so the food allergy/autism parallel itself isn't entirely crazy.

I hadn't heard that one yet, though it'll be pretty funny when I do, because he has a food allergy as well (spinach, of all things). I totally get why a lot of parents turn to things like that. We even fell in with the gluten and casein free diet thing for a little bit, which did help us find out the kid is lactose intolerant, but obviously did pretty much nothing for the whole autism thing. They're looking for something to blame, and something to help. But it crosses a line when it becomes dangerous to both their kids, and everyone who has to rely on herd immunity.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

LoG posted:

I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but my son will be 4 in March, he goes to sleep fine in his bed but then wakes up and moves to our bed every night. The issue is my wife and I are heavy sleepers and don't even notice when comes and crawls in. We are hoping he might grow out of it or something.

This isn't necessarily the case with your son, but I did that around that age, and it turned out to be sleepwalking. I just repeated the same pattern every night, which my mom figured out once she caught me at it. I ended up growing out of within a few years.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son is just about 5', and 100 lbs, at 10 years old. So somewhat bigger than average, but not terribly so. He used to be very, very high in percentile for both height and weight but he's slowed down in growth in recent years.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I would like to remind everyone that even though we may disagree on specific things (CIO, for example), none of us are so far down the rabbit hole as to believe giving your kid bleach tablets is going to cure autism. I hope.

Why do these people exist? :negative: This is literal :toxx:

http://theworstthingsforsale.com/2015/01/20/healing-autism-by-bleaching-your-children/

Welcome to the wonderful world of having a kid with a disability! Autism is the current Big Name one, but stuff like this has been around forever. Big pharma keeping these secret cures down! This is just one of many deadly 'cures' out there. I know for sure some kid(s) died from chelation therapy, for instance.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

BoyBlunder posted:

Question about teething.

Does every tooth hurt when it's coming in? My daughter's about to get her 3rd tooth (1st top one) finally at 13 mos, and I can't imagine her going through this pain for every tooth that comes in :ohdear:

It's different for each kid. My son was miserable the first few teeth, and then wasn't ever really more than a bit disgruntled about it for the rest. Until his molars started coming in, and he was miserable again. His adult molars are coming in now, and I pretty much would have had no idea from the way he acts, if I didn't see them myself.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Bleh. My son has been having some regression in potty training overnight. He's been seen and it's nothing medical. Sometimes this thing just sort of happens with autism, for a variety of reasons. But GoodNites has pretty much become my favorite company in the world right now, for being the only company I could find with sleep pants in older kid sizes, up to 125 lbs. Hopefully, we can get him back on track soon though, because they are not cheap.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Clearly you just need to get logosanatic in to teach you how to establish dominance like a real man

:allears:

Do I need to Alpha Roll him? Or should I pee in the bed before he can, to show him who is boss? This dominance thing is hard.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Went to Chuck E. Cheese for the kid's birthday one time, and I had to climb my rear end up in the play area, because he was too scared to get down. That was memorable.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Some parents will just straight up let their kids get away with things like it's no big deal. I'm not entirely certain there's ever really one surefire way to do anything about it when it is affecting your kids, without pissing someone off along the line.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I've only ever told off two kids that weren't mine, and that was both together. Only then because no idea where their parents were, as they were just running up and down the street while I was having a smoke on the front porch. Son was looking out the front door, and waved when he saw them, and they decided it was a grand idea to stand right there at the end of our sidewalk mocking him. Using delightful words like retard and the like.

Otherwise I just tend to redirect him to something away from any kids causing issues, because it's not worth the trouble doing pretty much anything else could bring.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Cimber posted:

So apparently my five year old son is very energetic in school, blurts out answers to questions, fidgets a bit and has some impulse control problems. The teacher recommended we have him screened for ADHD.

Now i'm not a huge fan of medicting my son. Is it possible he's ADHD or is he just a bright, bored 5 year old boy.

From that little bit of information, no one's going to be able to tell.

Now, as for getting evaluated? What's the harm? If he doesn't have ADHD, then whatever. If he does, medication might be the way to go. Knowing one way or the other is better than wondering.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Pretty much every study done has found that treatment of ADHD with supplements or diets are ineffective or at best not nearly as effective as traditional medication unless the symptoms are tied to an actual diagnosis of a deficiency, outside of maybe mild stimulants like caffeine (or in the case of adults, nicotine), which is what a large number of ADHD meds are anyway.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

You know, if you'd thrown out that information at the start, you have gotten more responses like what you obviously wanted in the first place. Just going "Hey, kid's teacher says he's displaying some ADHD like behaviors, is this ADHD or is my kid just bright?" is only going to get you "Who the gently caress knows? Ask a doctor."

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Your responses have been seriously condescending in general to everyone who said "Hey maybe take what the teacher says into consideration", before guy decided to throw out the (maybe true, maybe not) accusations that the teacher is incompetent and biased.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Until you said that, he didn't say any of the things that made it absolutely "Kid is probably five". He just threw out some behaviors that may or may not indicate ADHD, which can't be known without further evaluation by someone who knows what they're doing.

Then you throw out things like

ActusRhesus posted:

This. Drugging a five year old for blurting answers and fidgeting seems stupid. This has gently caress all nothing with wanting to be the most righteous of internet mommies (And let me just say how deliciously ironic I find that accusation in this context) and everything to do with believing that affixing a behavioral disorder label to a child for acting like a child is asinine.

ActusRhesus posted:

"Hi Doc...my kid's teacher says he has ADHD because he fidgets in class."
"Your child is 5. That will be $100 because like most mental health care providers I do not take 90% of insurance plans."

ActusRhesus posted:

Maybe primary school teachers should stop treating little boys like defective girls. At five there is a marked difference between boy and girl maturity and behavior. Why should they rush to label their kid with a behavioral disorder?

ActusRhesus posted:

There's a difference between "blaming the teacher" and taking an objective and critical view when it comes to your child. I read your posts (each with more backstory trickling out) and I really don't see someone making excuses for his kid. I see someone recognising that things here don't quite add up. Of course we don't want to have blinders on when it comes to our kids, but I really don't get that impression from what you've written.

OT trying to give my almost 2 year old a nap. I asked her to get into bed and she yelled NO! And threw a plushie. Early warning sign of oppositional defiance disorder y/y?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

You first reponse like that was to Slo-Tek in which there was absolutely nothing antagonistic at all.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Read the order of the posts again. That came after your response, which heavily implies they 'rushed' to get their kid slapped with a label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

you mean this one? Which clearly references the OPs five year old and specific teacher situation and has zero commentary on Slo-Tek's kid?

It was in direct response to their post, talking about their kid, and their experience with behavioral issues in class and with medication. Is it really that much of a surprise that it could be read as a slight against them?