Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

UnkleBoB posted:

My daughter turns fifteen today. Hard to believe time has gone by this fast. Sometimes I feel old and others I feel like no time has passed.

It keeps smacking me in the face that my son will be turning 18 in a couple months. It doesn't feel like it's been that long most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son's height kind of snuck up on me, since I only see him around the same people all the time, and smaller changes go a bit unnoticed. But my mom and brothers came to visit yesterday, and I look back to see him standing next to my 6' tall brother, and it was like "Oh dang". He is definitely over 6', probably about 6'1.5" or 6'2". I think he has a tiny bit of growth still left in him, but it's slowed way way down.

Was funny to see him just absolutely looming over my tiny mom, in sheer excitement as she rung up his Legos.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I had a giant baby (he was born average size and then basically...exploded in size), and now he's a giant just about adult (18 in twoish months). Round about 6'1 or 6'2". Hasn't been measured in a bit, but guesstimating over seeing him stand next to my 6' brother.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son was obsessed with Storybots for a minute. I still get the Sheep a Deep song stuck in my head every now and then.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

But late on music chat, but you can totally go outside kid's music for kids. As a toddler, I loving LOVED Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (still do), to the point that one of the most epic tantrums I ever threw was because my mom couldn't afford to take me to see them when they came to our area for a concert.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Nessa posted:

There are also a ton of goofy songs from the 80’s that kids would find fun. Walk Like an Egyptian, Video Killed the Radio Star, etc…

Two of my absolute favorite songs as a late 80s-early 90s toddler/young child (besides the previously mention EVERYTHING from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnP7ZaYBdqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw

Edit: And one of my son's favorites when he was younger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p44G0U4sLCE

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 17, 2022

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son is going to hit 18 in a little less than a month. So much STUFF to deal with. Registering for Selective Service, dealing with SSI, so on and so forth. He also suddenly, out of nowhere, wants to learn how to drive (has been decidedly entirely uninterested up to this point), so there's that too.

So....much...paperwork.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Tom Smykowski posted:

My 2 year olds new thing is premeditated hitting. Like I tell him no about something and he'll stop what he's doing, walk across the room, look me directly in the face and then swing.

Telling him no only makes him more powerful

I unfortunately had this issue with my son when he was much older and bigger than 2. He's autistic, and learned through a meltdown that taking a swing at a teacher got him exactly what he wanted, which was to be sent home. We had a hell of a time turning that behavior around, because when he got put in a program where that wasn't an instant ticket home, it only increased the intensity of things at first.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

A friend of our family passed away unexpectedly. We've not had a death to deal with with our son at any point he'd be old enough to remember. I really don't know how it's going to go telling him this woman he's grown up around, who was basically a third grandmother to him, is no longer with us.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dick Ripple posted:

Kids can and do understand death at a young age. A death of a loved one/close family member is probably not the best way to start that conversation or education. Nature, food systems, the universe, your religion are all good subjects that can lead into what is life and death.

He thankfully does understand death (he's going to be 18 in a couple weeks), and it's been discussed in and around other contexts. However, this is only the second one in his life that will affect him personally, and the other happened when he was too young to really remember the person or his death. He has issues with emotional regulation, and the like, so it's going to be overall not fun, even with him knowing and understanding what death is.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Eggnogium posted:

Same, I don’t really know what dad voice is but unless it’s a euphemism for screaming then it doesn’t really seem like a big deal.

Dad/Mom Voice is something I generally see used to describe a stern, forceful but not yelling voice.

So like, you tell the kid(s) "Hey, get your shoes and things we need to get in the car." and then pull out the stern "Get ready to go. :catstare:" when they proceed to gently caress about doing everything but get ready to go.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

remigious posted:

My 18 month old is speech delayed :( he blew through every other milestone so fast, but the only words he says are doggie and just very recently bye. It’s just frustrating because the two doctors I’ve been to have given me advice and I already do those things! He’s just not interested in talking.

My son was massively speech delayed. Almost entirely nonverbal until five-ish, and then only echolalia for a good while after that. He started speech therapy at three years old, and continued into high school (because turns out he has a speech impediment as well). Now he talks basically nonstop.

There was a good while it seemed like absolutely no improvement was being made, but then it all just suddenly started clicking and he improved in leaps and bounds. They did eventually decide not to continue, since while he has some lingering speech impediment issues, he's understandable (I have the same impediment, and it's never caused any major issues in my life) and can navigate most situations verbally. Granted, he is pretty much solely interested in talking only about Pokemon and Sonic the Hedgehog, but....reasonably sure that's more a teenager thing, rather than a speech thing.

So, not saying to not be concerned, but that showing no noticeable improvement at first isn't always a bad sign.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Some kids are just weird with talking, too. Once he got past baby babbling, my youngest brother basically straight up refused to talk directly to anyone until he could speak in full sentences. The only reason my mom knew he was talking at all is because she would overhear him, and then he'd clam right up when anyone came in the room with him.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Good thing: the boy can get up from bed, take himself to the potty, and go back to bed.

Bad thing: he pees more or less in the general vicinity of the toilet rather than into it.

I'm going to count my blessings that he's doing any of this at all.

They make stickers that can go on the inside of the toilet, to give them something to aim for. They seem to work well for many people.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

No study has shown soy to have any effect from the phytoestrogens in humans, whatsoever, outside of men who were drinking like....3+ quarts of soy milk a day.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

wizzardstaff posted:

if only it were that easy :negative:

Yeah, unfortunately for my trans women and transfemme peeps, the only real effect it seems to have if MASSIVE quantities are consumed is maybe your swimmers don't swim too good anymore, but that's still not quite completely proven yet afaik. Probably a poo poo ton cheaper to buy soy milk in bulk than estrogen pills.

Does mean I can eat all the tofu I want as a trans man, though. Which is....a shockingly large amount of tofu, all things considered.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Welp, my son is officially 18 as of yesterday. We had a good time at mini golf.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Does anyone have any good book references on healthy eating habits for kids? I'm not sure if mine has food anxiety or what, she's a little overweight and does eat actual healthy meals (she will have salads and eat vegetables and fruit). Despite being 7, trying to figure out how to right the ship. I know her grandparents spoil her on borderline junkfood (lots of sugar oil far) when they see her.

I liked Red Light Green Light Eat Right.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

While we have suspected for awhile that our son is on the spectrum we got the official diagnosis today and it's making me feel a lot of ways. I apologize for asking here but is there an Autism support thread or anything like that?

There is the autism adult thread that I know of (and have posted in).

But I feel you. My son was diagnosed at around five years old (long ago enough that they were still all considered separate disorders rather than a spectrum), and it was something, even having already known something was up.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

One of the reasons I originally became a stay at home parent was we just couldn't afford childcare, even just the small amount needed (we lived in a four adults household at the time). I didn't end up going back to work until he hit his teens, because hoo boy does a giant work history gap work against you.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

As someone who was a Incredibly Dumb Teenager once upon a time, and whose son was born when I was at the ripe ole age of 19....I'd get a teen daughter on birth control ASAP.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Being on track with language or even ahead of the curve doesn't rule out autism. That used to be one of the deciding factors between a diagnosis of high functioning autism vs. Asperger's before they got all rolled into the autism spectrum.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Oh boy. It is finally dawning on my son that we are not kidding about getting his weight under control. Autism + Change is usually never a good combo, and he is melting down pretty good right now. But he's pretty overweight and well, it needs to be handled while he's still young, before it bites him in the rear end ten or so years down the road.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

wizzardstaff posted:

The nuclear family was a mistake, change my mind.

I am so, so glad that when my son was younger, we lived with my partner's parents. It's easy now that he's grown, but having them there in the same household when he was young was Da Best.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My partner held me steady when our kid was born, and I got an epidural. They also told me to expect a slight leg jerk. Slight it was not. drat near kicked him right in the junk.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 16, 2022

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

meanolmrcloud posted:

unilateral microtia

Oh hey, my brother was born with this. Grade III, no external ear canal and complete lack of inner ear parts on the affected side, only had a little nubbin of skin on that side.

Overall, from what he's said on it and my parents statements on his development as an infant and toddler, it has overall not been a particularly difficult thing for him. He is entirely deaf on that side, but has full hearing on the other. He had to learn to compensate for being unable to easily determine the direction of sounds, but otherwise his development was entirely on schedule in terms of hearing and speech.

AFAIK as I know, surgery options have not changed too much (he is in his 30s), and is broken down into a few stages. In that case of Grade III, they take cartilage from the lower ribs to construct the outer ear, and skin grafts to elevate and cover it (my brother's was taken from his arm). Then the interior bits and bobs of the external ear are formed, and the ear canal formed.

He chose to not have those latter parts done (his surgeries were spread between when he was younger to when he was in his teens), because he's fine with his appearance, and it wouldn't give him hearing on that side.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

remigious posted:

Yeah some kids movies are really freaking scary these days!

These days? "Let's traumatize some children" parts in movies are nothing new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUcuHUvI1UI

ETA: so many scenes from this one movie, drat I forgot half this stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOeK0Ig-H9g

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 29, 2023

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sometime in the early 80s, my partner and the children of some family friends were put down in front of a movie to occupy them while the dads caught up. That movie?

Watership Down.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Well, my son has officially graduated from high school. Now for all the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The "So when are you giving them a sibling?" never stops. My son is going to be 19 in like a month, and I just the other day had someone ask me that.