Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Once mine was old enough to sit up, I would read him books in my lap until he was exhausted and took the crib as a blessed relief (usually about 45 minutes of reading). I eventually adapted that system into just reading to him while he laid down in the crib and would just fall asleep while I read to him. That system went a bit haywire when he started pulling himself up and standing in his crib. What I do now is just let him stand and play while I read to him, and when he starts to do his sleepy fussing I turn off the light and lie him down, and he usually just rolls around and gnaws on his lovey a bit until he decides that yes, he really does want to go to sleep. This is not with a "sleeper" baby, he has always been a two 40-minute naps/day baby and a guy that fought sleep with everything he had.

Wife still nurses him back to sleep 2 or 3 times a night, because nursing for 5 minutes is a million times less disruptive than trying to soothe back to sleep and night wean and all that.

At 4 months I imagine swaddling and the 5 S's is still the best option for soothing to sleep without nursing.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hdip posted:

We've been using cloth diapers for 9 or so months now. On vacation this last week we've used disposables. It was pretty nice. Not one leak all week. Finding it a bit hard to get excited about cloth again. Anyone want to remind me how good it is to use cloth and tell me all those leaks I remember will be gone now that we're back home.

Cloth diaper wearers potty train earlier and easier. That's going to be really awesome when the time comes.

Although you shouldn't be having leaks. Like others said, the only time we have leaks is when he occasionally stays in one diaper for the entire night, and even then the leak is usually just onto his clothes.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Anyway, I think the first sign that a "How to teach your child to read" instruction is bogus is that it comes as a DVD, not a book :v:

This is the main thing. My relatives shower us with so much garbage Fisher-Price *bells* *lights* *music* "learning" toys and every single one makes me die a little inside. It is basically universally accepted that the best way to learn things, regardless of age, is to have a real person teach you. If you want your baby to learn something, then taking the time to teach them is going to be a million times more effective than giving them a toy that sings some "learning" song when they push a button.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ghost story posted:

If you haven't already, check out the Indestructibles books. They can take an insane amount of abuse. Some of our board books have war stories. Plus, there aren't any words to them so you can avoid some rhymes being stuck in your head.

Right now we've been doing a lot of animal sounds and she's trying to do them too (and succeeding in some cases). :3

We taught our then 9-month-old to howl along with his Doggies book (by Sandra Boynton, great book by the way), and now he is firmly convinced that his cow toy is a dog.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

AlistairCookie posted:

/\/\
When I babysit, this is me. I put Tim in the front in a booster, even though he's small. (I have my passenger air bag disabled.) I always feel like a shitheel, but we literally live around the corner from the school, so at least it's only a 20 second ride.

In other news, yet again, we got to be "those parents" today. All the kindergarten classes put on a little musical performance today. Mother Goose rhymes and songs, with little hand motions. Cute stuff, right? Out of four classes, maybe 60 or so kids, guess who was the only kid who chose to spend the entire 20 minutes staring at the ceiling? Yeah. I even got to hear the grandparents behind me lament whoever was the parents of the little redhead who wasn't participating. :sigh: I don't even know what to do. Do I even do anything? The Mr. and I are just sad. This isn't the first time Tim's done this. In fact, he has done this every single time he's had a little show to do with school. I hate sitting there watching him fidget and do literally nothing while all the other kids are participating. It's every time. Just once, can I go and watch my kid do what he's supposed to? :(

Why don't you just stroller to school? :confused:

I mean to each their own, but it would probably take me longer to get everything situated in the car than to just stroller there.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
We're having problems with our 12-month-old's sleep habits. My wife is really pressuring to try CIO, so I'm looking for ways to avoid that.

- Initial bedtime is pretty straightforward. My wife nurses and changes him, then I read him books in the crib until he shows signs of being sleepy (usually between 30 minutes and an hour), at which point I lay him down. If he cries while laying down, I'll read to him, which calms him down long enough for him to eventually decide that he wants to sleep and he'll roll over and pass out.

- He wakes up 3-4 times a night. Usually he'll nurse back to sleep, sometimes we have to read to him again for 30+ minutes to get him to fall back asleep. He hates being held/rocked, he hasn't been on a pacifier in 6-7 months, we have the seahorse but it's never been a strong influence on him, he has a lovey which he's not really that into, we have a noise maker and a soft nightlight. He sleeps in a sleepsack. He will fall asleep in a stroller or car, but using either of those in the middle of the night would be really disruptive.

- Lately he's been waking up at 5am (after falling asleep around 7:30pm), awake and ready to go for the day.

- Naps are a problem. On the weekends at home, he'll take two 1-2 hour naps a day. But during weekdays, he only takes two 30 minute naps at daycare. Naturally we have limited influence on what happens at daycare (the caretakers aren't waking him up, I think it's just too loud and distracting there for him to sleep long).

e: I should add, co-sleeping isn't an option either. He absolutely loses it when we try to bring him into our bed. And no bottles either, he never took to one so he's been on straw or sippy cups since 4 months; I've tried giving him a cup of milk at night and he isn't interested.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 29, 2013

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ben Davis posted:

Have you tried putting him to bed an hour or two earlier?

Actually now that you mention it, we did move his bedtime an hour or so later about a month or two ago. He was sleeping through the night no better before that, but he was at least sleeping in until 6:30-7:30. We pushed it back because our schedules make anything before a 6pm bedtime completely impossible and we thought he might be old enough for it, but it might have been a step in the wrong direction.

Other ideas we've had is to start using disposable diapers overnight (just to eliminate the possibility that it's wet diapers waking him up), build positive crib associations by having evening playtime before dinner take place in the crib, feed him more during the day, and ask his daycare if they can move his nap forward (he's usually ready for his first nap by 9:00-9:30 at home, but at daycare they always have it at 10:30 or so).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Volmarias posted:

That's going to associate "Time to go into your crib" with "Time to play! :D" which may not be the association you want when no one comes to play with him.

That's still preferable to "time to panic and scream".

Ron Jeremy posted:

How much is he eating on the boob? With my kids length of sleep was a direct function of how much they ate at a sitting. While the breast is ideal, sometimes there's a blurring of food source and comfort source that can mess up learning to self soothe.

He's still nursing. I think we send 5 or 6 ounces of milk to daycare along with a bunch of solids, plus he nurses first thing in morning and right before bed. My wife is working on stopping the nursing to sleep habits and trying to cut back on the night time nursing, but so far that has involved a tremendous amount of crying.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

frenchnewwave posted:

Vivian is also waking up 3-4 times a night at 12 months old. She's also an early riser. No advice, just empathy.

For what it's worth, if you do try the cry it out thing, I would recommend having you do the bulk of comforting and having your wife leave the room. We have started a gentle sleep training for naps and if Vivian can see or hear me, she'll cry until I pick her up. If my husband sings to her or rubs her belly, she'll drift off with little or no tears.

Yeah, his sleep behavior is definitely different with me than with her. She was shocked when I told her that with me oftentimes he'll lie in the crib awake and just slowly fall asleep. For her it seemed more all or nothing.

The bad news is that one night this weekend, his sleep looked like this:

6:05 - Fell asleep reading in the crib
8:35 - Woke up crying, nursed to sleep
11:42 - Woke up crying, nursed, rocked to sleep
4:24 - Woke up crying, tried rocking, nursed to sleep
7:01 - Woke up for day

That was after waking up for good at 5am the previous two days. :shepicide:

The good thing is that we changed up our routine and that seems to be baby steps in the right direction. We're being much stricter about only mellow play and dim lights in the evening, doing the exact same sequence of bedtime each night (eat, bath, diaper, nurse, read 3 books outside of the crib, lights out and into the crib), and trying to feed him more during the day (including just handing him finger foods during playtime). We're trying to rely on nursing or reading only when his cries get intense and we can tell he's not just fussing. This has seemed to help a little bit and we're hoping to just build off of it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
We've been giving our 12-month-old sandwiches for at least a couple of months, even though he usually just eats the filling and leaves the bread. He loves stuff like avocado/cheese/tuna and grilled cheese.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Definitely could be teething, or possibly temperature now that we're hitting winter weather. Could be a growth spurt or developmental milestone (did he recently start pulling up to a stand?). I posted my sleep troubles and some strategies we're pursuing above.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Industrial posted:

We live in Minnesota so it's cold as poo poo but we just got new super insulated windows and the temp seems controlled in there. He's been pulling himself up for quite a while, over a month I'd say so I don't think that's it. Sometimes when I go in there he is standing and jumping up and down, sometimes hes just sitting there, and other times laying down. It seems totally random.

He also used to be really good about falling asleep on his own if you rocked him long enough to get him good and drowsy but now he needs to be totally asleep before being placed in the crib or he flails and screams.

You might want to check with your pediatrician to make sure it's not medical. We only found out at our 12-month checkup that ours was recovering from a mild ear infection.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

greatn posted:

Just curious on these sleep troubles, have those babies been getting any screen time?

Not in our case. Aside from a handful of times doing Skype with relatives, he's probably had less than 30 minutes total of screen time between PC/phone/TV in his entire life. He did go through a period where he was obsessed with our CD player though.

Lullabee posted:

My 9 month old has started refusing baby food, but won't sit still long enough to eat what I consider to be enough of our food. Most times hell outright refuse it. He's also stopped really doing the 'pick up with hand and being to mouth' thing. He still picks stuff up, and occasionally he'll get it there, but he's just not interested in it anymore. The only thing I can get him to truly eat is yogurt.

He's still breastfeeding 6-7 times during the day and 3-4 at night. It's not for lack of trying, he just doesn't seem to care for any of it. He also hates his high chair. He's still peeing/pooping regularly, so I'm not overly concerned, it's just strange to me.

We have our 9 month appointment on Friday, so I'll see how his weight is and bring it up. His Ped said at 6 months, he should be eating 3 solid meals as well as breast feeding at this point, so I'm not sure what he'll say.

:sigh:

We went through this and what really helped was having the whole family sit down together and eat the same thing at the same time. Just him seeing us eating something makes him want to try it, and it especially helps if you take a bite (fake if you want) of his food before offering it to him. Another thing that helps is just putting a spoonful of food on his tray and letting him feed himself.

But even with that, he did become a pickier eater around that time. I think the novelty of solids wears off and they start demanding a diet of dairy and fruit.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
If you're married, is there really such thing as "his" and "your" money? Especially if you're a stay-at-home mom, I think in a divorce settlement you would actually be awarded significantly more of the assets because of your diminished earning potential.

My wife and I have separate checking and retirement accounts, and a "joint" credit card that I just pay off every month because it's easier than trying to trade back and forth. I pay our mortgage while she pays for daycare. I definitely end up paying significantly more of our expenses each month, but it doesn't matter because legally nothing is mine alone.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Chouzan posted:

I don't know. His parents say he's violent and keep telling me how he goes after other babies. They're questionable parents and he sees a lot of spanking and gets swatted for things already so I'm honestly not shocked when they claim he's violent.

This seems like a good solution. I can't imagine he'd hit hard enough to do more damage than shock, so I'll definitely try mittens.

You should be reporting them to the authorities instead of putting mittens on their infant.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Axiem posted:

Somewhat incidental to this thread, Slate's Lexicon Valley podcast had an episode about children learning the word "no". It's kind of fascinating if you're into that sort of thing.

Thanks for posting this, really interesting. Our 13-month-old started shaking his head "no" at things a few weeks ago and it's awesome. He also does the "uh oh" thing which is hilarious but apparently very common.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

High Lord Elbow posted:

My biggest fear is that she has my personality and will be misdiagnosed. Thoughts?

What is the downside of being misdiagnosed in this way, aside from some perceived stigma in the parents' minds? My wife is a PreK-8 school psychologist so I hear about the special provisions made for ASD kids all the time, and the downside of insisting it's a misdiagnosis seems way out of proportion to any negative affects of early intervention.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

skipdogg posted:

You've brought this up before, but I want to reiterate, there is no way around this. If they don't build their immune systems now, it'll happen when they start school. This is what kids do. They get sick. They get better. They build up an immune system. It's not as bad for us adults as we don't go to our co-workers cube and put their pens and staplers and dirty coffee cups in our mouth and catch all their germs, but it's a part of life. We recently had 4 month stretch with neither kid being sick. It was amazing. Then they both got Strep. Oldest got Strep Throat, youngest got Strep rear end. Antibiotics were given, poo poo was literally everywhere, many loads of laundry were done and many baths given. It happens. They get sick, they get better. You can't wrap them in a disinfected bubble for their entire life.

I only bring this up again because to me it seems like you're trying to demonize child care facilities as dirty cesspools of disease and filth. The world is a dirty place. You took your kids out of a very small ecosystem and they became exposed over the last 5 months to an onslaught of new germs. I would expect nothing less than them being sick very often as they work through everything new they're being exposed to.

My son got a horrible chest cold after playing at the playground over the weekend so I decided he's never going to a park again. We're going to avoid libraries, museums, and restaurants as well just to be safe.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Yesterday my kid was interested in my ears while he was in his highchair, so I let him grab each one while I said "ear." Then he touched each eye while I said "eye." Then he grabbed my nose and I said "nose", so he let go and shook his head "no". That put the biggest dumb grin on my face.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sockmuppet posted:

At what age did you let your baby try eating actual pieces of food, instead of mashing everything up? My 7 month old is really interested in food and the times we've tried letting her gnaw on bits of soft fruit and boiled veg, or fed her tiny pieces of chicken or fish, she's enjoyed herself greatly, but I freak out when she eventually bites off a too large piece and starts gagging, to the point where I'm now fearful of giving her anything she might choke on - but I don't want to feed her purees until she starts preschool. I know that babies are designed to effectively expel pieces of food that get lodged in the wrong place precicely because they do that a lot until they learn how to chew and swallow, and I've read up on and watched videos of infant CPR, but I keep imagining a worst case scenario where she chokes on something that I can't get out and I just end up feeding her something mashed just to be on the safe side.

Gagging isn't choking.

We started at 6 months. He didn't get purees until around 12 months when he was eating so much that we couldn't keep up, and giving him a jar of baby food was easier than cooking more.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

greatn posted:

I kind of never want to feed my kid meat. I'm not even a vegetarian so I have no idea why I feel this way. He's eight months now and has had bananas, pears, apples, squash, chick peas, peas, green beans, prunes, sweet potato, cantaloupe, spinach, cauliflower, carrots, grits, Gerber puffs, no salt ritz, and broccoli. He's probably more than ready for little bits of meat. For some reason I just feel like he shouldn't.

At one year you'll get a blood test to check for iron levels. That made me wish we had paid more attention to how much red meat he was getting, if only to avoid having to go in for the follow up test (taking several vials of blood from an infant is not a fun experience).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Red meat is among the best sources of iron, so I'd guess too little. If you eat meat and have no moral obligation to it, there's no reason not to give it to your kid. Curious what your objection to it is?

Yeah too little. Like all of his levels (red blood cell, hematocrit, hemaglobin, etc) was below the low range of normal, so we had to get a follow up. They basically make you act as a strait jacket for the baby while they take the blood, it sucks.

In the couple weeks between first and second tests, we were pumping him full of iron-fortified foods and vitamin C. We just got the results back and haven't heard from the doctor yet, so I don't know what's next, but some of his levels had moved up into the low level of normal while some were still outside the norm.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I have only potty trained dogs, and this is coming entirely from a dog-training perspective. If you are positively-reinforcing a behavior and the trainee succeeds at first but then loses interest, it means you're asking too much of them; you need to pare back the demands and slowly build upon success. If he was interested and successful for an hour, make that the initial goal, then if that's successful try for 2 hours the next day, slowly building up to a whole day. If the rewards being offered are no longer sufficient incentive, switch them for a different reward.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Any insight?

Get them something that is very easy to exchange, because in my experience carrier preference is highly personal. That's why there's no universal "this is the one you want" recommendation.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sneeing Emu posted:

Our newborn is 1 week old today. Everything is great so far except sleeping habits, obviously. My wife is getting super upset because he'll only sleep if he's laying on one of us, he starts wailing immediately if we try and lay him down in his napper. This is normal for a newborn right? We're practicing putting him in the napper as long as he'll tolerate it, usually 20-30 minutes. She's concerned because our pediatrician told us that he needs to be sleeping by himself. Also I have to go back to work next week, and she's afraid she'll get zero sleep if she has to stay up with him while he's sleeping on her. We swaddle him after feedings and he has no problem sleeping 2-3 hours at a time, he just will not tolerate sleeping in his napper. Any advice or is this just a stage we need to power through?

That's normal and if I were you I'd get a new pediatrician, because yours is either a loving idiot or knows much less about newborns than they should.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sneeing Emu posted:

I may have phrased that a bit too succinctly, he said he'll need to sleep by himself eventually (he also has a thick German accent, so he may have phrased it wrong too). She's more worried about being on her own and not getting to sleep when I go back to work, even though my mother only lives 15 minutes away and wants to come help during the day. First time parent jitters plus hormones I'm sure, hopefully I can convince her this is normal.

For the first week and a half or so, my wife and I alternated holding him at night because in our arms was the only way he'd sleep. I gradually figured out that I could lay down with him in the crook of my arm and he was fine with that, then just kept my arm around him, and then he pretty quickly became comfortable just sleeping next to us.

We stopped co-sleeping around 4-5 months I think? We did it because we thought it might help him sleep better, but later regretted it because he later became intolerant of co-sleeping which made nights much tougher. He started sleeping through the night at 13 months; at that point he would cry more if we went to him at night, so we did one night of cry it out (about an hour of crying) and that was that. Prior to that point we hadn't done any CIO. So yeah, "eventually" he'll need to sleep on his own, but that eventually definitely doesn't need to be in a week or two.

greatn posted:

It should be noted cosleeping greatly increases the risk of Sids.

Only in populations that are obese, smokers, or drinkers.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

greatn posted:

Not true, new studies have found it increases the risk even in non smoking non drinking normal weight populations.

http://m.livescience.com/34531-co-sleeping-baby-sids-risk.html

That is one study, that wasn't actually a study but a meta-analysis of 5 studies that were as old as 25 years, long before educational campaigns for safe sleeping began. Everyone is free to draw their own conclusions, but I wouldn't come close to considering that a definitive study.

quote:

This publication analyses SIDS-risks associated with bed-sharing under different circumstances using data from five historical SIDS studies. Unlike previous analyses of these data, this analysis includes data on feeding type. It promises, at last, to enable those of us working with parents and the staff who support them to be able to answer complicated but commonly asked questions about SIDS, and allow parents to make informed decisions about any potential risk associated with their personal and cultural infant care beliefs and behaviours.

Because this analysis is based on old data, however, it can only inform us as to the risks as they existed 15-26 years ago: knowledge both of bed-sharing behaviour and safety issues not considered here have advanced considerably in the intervening period. The authors present analysis of a dataset in which 'safer' bed-sharing is considered as distinct from bed-sharing in conjunction with known hazards (that is, breastfeeding infants bed-sharing in the absence of smoking, alcohol, drugs and sofa-sharing). Babies were categorized as bed-sharing if they were found dead in the parental bed, or woke up in the parental bed in the morning following the 'index night' (deviating from the original analyses which used many different definitions for 'bed-sharing'). This definition under-estimates the number of 'control' babies who bed-shared as some infants bed-share for a portion of the night and are placed in a cot following the last feed, so would not wake up in the parents' bed (and would be classed here as 'room-sharers'), however babies who die would not be returned to the cot. 'Accidental' (and consequently unplanned) bed-sharing is therefore also likely to be overrepresented in the SIDS group (Ball 2012). Both factors would inflate the risk associated with bed-sharing.

The authors predict a SIDS-rate of approximately 1 per 10,000 babies for room-sharers, and 2 per 10,000 babies for bed-sharers. The current rate of SIDS in UK is 1/3000, or 3.4/10,000, which means that both sleep locations for breastfed infants of non-smoking parents in the absence of alcohol experience very few SIDS deaths. It is curious, therefore, that the authors focus attention only to this small difference in predicted SIDS rates for breastfed babies of non-smoking parents who bed-share compared to room-sharing-while ignoring the hugely inflated risks associated with hazardous bed-sharing environments. It appears as though the authors choose to target breastfeeding mothers in this way as they are a sub-group with strong opinions about the benefits of bed-sharing, even though the infants of these mothers contribute negligibly to UK SIDS rates.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

greatn posted:

Where is your analysis from? The meta study focuses on the difference between Co-sleeping and room sharing in optimal situations, and not on differences in smoking or formula situations, because of the prevailing myth that cosleeping is perfectly safe if you don't smoke or drink. The further review of the data shows it isn't. It is uncontroversial that smoking and drinking increase the risk of Sids, so that doesn't need highlighting

It is a response to the article that Livescience is referencing that is on the BMJ website:
http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f3296?tab=responses

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Rurutia posted:

I just want to say that it's a) not new evidence b) the problems with their statistical analysis are lacking enough that I would say hasn't brought anything new to the table. The UNICEF response is very nice because it gives the statistical reasons in detail and then goes back to give very applicable and general recommendations. Your posts have basically said it's open and shut that cosleeping is dangerous with the implication that anyone doing it is endangering their children. The evidence is really lacking for that argument.

In greatn's defense, my initial statement in defending co-sleeping was more open-and-shut than it should've been as well. There is research out there that suggests it might be more dangerous for the baby; it's up to parents to evaluate what's out there and decide what activities they're comfortable with.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Marchegiana posted:

Also if you're looking at a good source of protein for babies my kids always loved tofu. It's soft and easy for babies to self-feed because you can just cut it into any size cubes. I'd give my girls the tofu from my miso soup pretty much as soon as they were old enough to use a pincer grasp and they loved it. In fact they still try to steal my tofu to this day.

Eggs, especially with a little cheese. Takes like 1 minute to cook, can be eaten even without teeth, great macros.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Can't you find a way to keep him from looking out the window?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FishBulb posted:

Do they even make merry go rounds any more? I haven't seen one in forever

You mean death mobiles? No, they don't.

The playgrounds they've been building in my city are unbelievable, I wish they'd replace every single playground in the city with these things. They are a million times better than anything we had as kids:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

fork bomb posted:

I recognize Delores Park but where are the others from?

Second one is Koret playground in Golden Gate Park (right by the carousel), and then 2 pictures from the new playground at Lafayette Park which is my favorite of the 3 (the mini water park owns).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I distinctly remember how excited I was to tell my mom that I had cut my sister's hair when I was 4 (sister was 2.5). I honestly thought she would be really happy with the job I'd done.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Alterian posted:

My mom is visiting for Easter and thinks its just craaaaazy our 1 1/2 year old doesn't care too much for candy and how she's never seen a baby that doesn't like candy! I just call it good parenting.

He does like some candy, he just prefers more savory candy like chocolate or peanut butter. We don't keep sweets in the house so he's not use to other types of candy.

My grandparents could not wrap their heads around the idea that our 16-month-old doesn't watch any TV, and were also HIGHLY disapproving of the fact that his daycare is 100% Mandarin-speaking because how will he possibly communicate with us? Grandparents.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cimber posted:

yeah well. I don't approve of the methods, but i approve that he's not going to roll over for some other kid.

Emotional maturity is genetic, apparently.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

I'll give that book a try, and don't worry I don't expect a five month old to sleep through the night :) It's just that right now the only one getting a decent nights sleep is him, so I need to try some different solutions so I don't feel like a zombie. A little more info, he's not interested in swaddling and won't take a pacifier. Is it normal for a baby to not nap longer than a half hour?

That all sounds pretty normal. Happiest Baby on the Block is another good resource for gentle sleep tips. Ours didn't starting napping for more than 30-40 minutes until he was around 9 months I think, and didn't sleep through the night until 13 months. There's no miracle solutions, some babies just aren't into sleep.

A couple things that helped us a lot were 1) establishing a very structured bedtime routine that started an hour or two before sleep (e.g. calm play, dinner, goodbye song, bath and PJs with mom, read 3 books and then bedtime with dad), and 2) having dad take over the actual going to sleep portion of bedtime. Obviously to do the latter you have to already be in progress with ending the nursing to sleep, but it really helps to make clear that nursing and going to sleep are independent things.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yes, every night as part of her bedtime routine. It's a good transition between playtime and 'calm the gently caress down' time. Our routine is this, and we don't deviate from it much:

- 6:15pm Start running the bath, play with baby while tub's filling up
- 6:30pm Bathtime
- 7:00pm Dry off, Coconut oil rubdown (this is great for calming her down), diaper, sleeper
- 7:15pm Nursing
- 7:30pm Book/storytime until she starts showing signs of being tired like rubbing eyes, stretching etc. Room is darkened, bedtime music and white noise playing
- 7:45-8pm put down.

This length of routine is pretty much the sweet spot for Sydney, after a few months of tweaking. We started around 6 months.

This is pretty much exactly what we do/did. It was immensely helpful for improving our kid's bedtime when he was still in the "screaming if you put me in the crib awake" stage. The bath isn't really about getting clean, it's about a nice relaxing transition from play mode to sleep mode. I draw the bath around 6:20, wife gives him a bath while I get the nursery ready, she gets him dressed, we all brush our teeth, then I read him books until he's ready to get in the crib. We tried all sorts of things when he was younger to make bedtime easier, but I feel like establishing this super solid routine that included the bath was pretty much the most effective thing we did.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kalenn Istarion posted:

That's a long time. We go upstairs for bed / bath at 830 and the kids are out by 900. Bath time is 5 minutes for the baby 10 minutes to put lotion and stuff, and 10-15 to nurse. Maaaaybe 10 for the older one for bath and then a story. We've never read until he's sleepy, he knows he gets one book then head on the pillow. They're 4 and almost 1 and we're usually playing / doing stuff together until just before that. 30 minutes is lots of time to transition. Whatever works for you I guess, but that just seems like a huge ordeal for no reason.

It's almost as if different children are distinct creatures from each other with disparate personalities and needs.

frenchnewwave posted:

I am currently struggling with toddler teeth brushing. She is 18 months and thinks the toothbrush is snacktime because the only toddler toothpaste I can find is fruity flavored. So she'll suck on the brush but won't let me actually clean her teeth without a struggle.

I thought you weren't even supposed to use toothpaste with kids that young? We don't with our 18 month old. He still does a lot more chewing than brushing.

We also find it helps a lot to let him use our toothbrushes. He tends to rotate between them and his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I think this is more accurate and a larger contributor to the differences in parenting style. We're all guessing and everything we do is going to be coloured by our perception of what we like or would have liked when we were that age. My perspective specifically is coloured by my personal belief that kids are far tougher than most adults are willing to give them credit for, and they need much less from is than modern sensibilities say we should provide.

I'm sure the OP just jumped straight into a 2-hour bedtime routine without trying anything else first.

My 18-month-old is speaking in sentences and started saying multiple 3-syllable words at 15 months. I guess all those parents out there whose kids are seeing speech therapists are just too weak to give their kids the credit they deserve.