Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Checking in with a now 3 month old. I am so very tired....

Overall shes a great kid but good lord, my house has never been messier. And she pukes ALL the time. I've never seen a baby puke so much.

Doc says its fine because shes still growing, but I'm almost more ready for the puking to end as I am diapers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Hadlock posted:

That said, if you think your house is messy now, wait until they can walk around and open drawers and poo poo, pull stuff out etc and scatter it everywhere

As a former clean freak this has been a big adjustment. It's all I can do to keep things moderately picked up let alone actually clean. I'm optimistic that when we move to a bigger place that it'll be a bit easier as there will just be more room for baby stuff that is clogging up all the space right now.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My 16th month old has been waking up twice a night now for the last two weeks and I'm exhausted. It seems every other month there is a "sleep regression". I'm approaching the end of my rope. I've never done well on little sleep and this is killing me.

Hopefully this ends soon.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

harperdc posted:

Ms 9 Months is hitting some kind of serious sleep regression.

Usual bedtime pattern is put her down about 8-8:30 pm, but the last couple weeks she’s been waking up in the middle of the night somewhere from 2-3 am. The routine has been to get a bottle and then use the carrier until she no longer pops out of sleep once she’s in the crib, but as this takes on average an hour, yours truly is getting some atrocious sleep.

Oh, and did I mention it’s always me taking care of this nighttime fun? Thanks dear.

Searching for “9-month sleep regression” shows a series of contradictory suggestions, and looking at things like sleep training techniques are harder to pull off because we are not in some enormous American house (what’s a nursery? :v: ).

It’s almost 4 am my time and I’ve been up since 2:30. Send help.

My 16 month old seems to hit a sleep regression every other month, though it seems to be precipitated by illness or travel or teeth or something.

The thing that has helped us the most was sleep training. Two nights of pure hell but now when we lay our kid down she can usually stay asleep and soothe herself back to sleep if she does wake in the middle of the night.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Muir posted:

Last night my two year old slept through the night uninterrupted for the third time in his life.

Please god let me get there one day.

Our kid continues to wake up in the middle of the night. Even with sleep training though its gotten better. The lack of sleep effects me enough that I seriously worry about my health and trying to have a second kid. Also I'm tired of my in-laws giving me poo poo and advice for my kid not sleeping through the night. We do everything by the book, a set schedule, a regular routine, she just seems to be a light sleeper.

We start bedtime around 6:30 and shes usually asleep by 7-7:15ish. I dont think thats exceptionally early for a 17 month old that needs to be at daycare by 7:45AM. But my in-laws keep saying its to early, fuckers.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I don't know, with a two hour nap at daycare my kids don't sleep more than nine hours at night. Attempts to get them to sleep earlier generally results in overnight wakeups. Sure, guidelines say they should be getting more sleep than that, but that's how they are.

Yeah maybe my kid is just weird.

The thing is shes usually exhausted by bed time, rubbing her eyes, yawning, getting supper bouncy and silly trying to stay awake. And she only naps for anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half during the day.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

marchantia posted:

I know this sounds ridiculous and might not be feasible schedule wise, but have you tried getting her to bed earlier? That all sounds like over tired to me, especially with shorter naps.

Oh yeah! We've tried gradually going to bed as early as 6 and as late as 8 moving back and forth in 15 minute increments a day. 7 seems to be the time that works best.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This was my kids first week of daycare, and while its pricey, all things considered I think we got lucky. 3 teachers for a class of 9, though they are all from 1 1/2 to 3 years old. $1000 a month with snacks included, we just provide diapers, wipes, etc.

She seems to be acclimating OK, but hasnt napped for a real long time at class. Hoping next week which is her first full week goes OK and we all get some regular sleep.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Granted Im new to daycare, but talking to our place, they've raised tuition for next year already in attempt to slow turnover. They've had some turnover but nothing awful. I think my place is paying teachers assistants like $18 an hour and the teachers are getting $25 to start. Not horrible for our area I guess, but not great.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My wife is a clinical dietician and was SUPER into reading research related to childhood feeding. Basically you control when and what they eat they control how much. As long as they’re on the same trajectory from checkup to checkup it’s fine.

Also especially in little kids a pound and an inch can wildly separate what percentile they’re in. I wouldn’t worry unless your doctor is.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Uh oh whats wrong with Montessori?

We didnt exactly look for it specifically but they were the best combo of close/cheap/class size in our area and we just started our kid in there a week ago.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I was looking at $1700 a month for infant care in the Twin Cities before it'd drop down to $1500 at a year and half. Supposedly Minnesota has some pretty strict requirements around class size, teacher training, etc that drive up costs but IMO all sound like good things if you can afford it.

Moving north has saved me $800 a month in child care alone.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

One of the nice parts of living in an old house.

The floors and stairs squeak enough that you could wake the dead trying to sneak out.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dear god no!

I thought the sleeping was supposed to get better as time went on! I cant survive a newborn AND a toddler not sleeping. Last week was hell for ours because she was sick but shes been pretty routinely sleeping from 7pm to 5-6ish this week at least.

We must have a new snow plow driver in our area though because we've had loud as gently caress scraping noises outside our house all this week from a truck at like 3am.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ugh that sucks so much. Sorry to hear all that.

I dont even have any helpful advice, aside from looking into some home centers in the area. They seem to be a bit cheaper than the daycare centers but neither one is cheap.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just got a message that my 1 1/2 year old is hitting other kids one month into her daycare experience. Sucks to hear, but I've been assured its normal by the teachers and we just need to work with her on being gentle, other kids feelings, etc.

Just hard when you know that hardly anything is sinking in at that age.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The teacher said its pretty normal once theyre in class for a bit and start to feel more comfortable.

She also described it as less hitting and more her trying to get a kids attention or as overzealous high fives which she definitely does. Just something to try and correct as we see it at home I guess.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

does anyone have any tips on introducing bottles into feeding? my wife is going back to work in a bit more than a month so we definitely need to get our little girl used to the bottle before then.

I never bothered with bottle warming or anything like that.

Took a couple of days where my kid was missing her mom, but ultimately on day 3-4 it was no problem and she took to it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My kid now comes up to any adult in the room, walks backward sticking out her butt and says “check” every time she farts!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Been there before.

For me it was realizing that I had to let stuff go. I couldn’t reasonably expect to keep my house as clean as I’d like. I couldn’t study or workout as much as I’d like. I couldn’t watch movies or play games I wanted to. But I could usually do one small task and read one chapter or watch one show at the end of the night.

You just have to realize no matter what something is going to stress you out and give you grief. Do you want to worry about finding room for toys or worry about not enjoying the day and shutting down?

Also sometimes you just need a loving break. Nothing wrong if that happens earlier than it does for your wife. The breaking point comes for all parents at some point.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Watched it like a hawk probably the first 3 months, then eased up on it more and more as my kid started to sleep for longer stretches.

At this point the video is only on to see her goofy sleep poses and I just listen for the audio.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I love winter in general but I'm ready for warm weather for my kid already!

There's just only so much I can do inside with a toddler, and a lot of the places I'd take her to, like the library, are closed on federal holidays.

I wish there was like an open gym for toddlers somewhere!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We've been extremely lucky so far. The kid and my wife manage to fall first and I then usually get it about a week later. Thankfully that means one of is left standing to tend to the kid, cook, run errands, etc.

Not looking forward to the day we both fall ill at the same time.

Speaking of illness. As someone looking to have a second kid in the next year, how much of that first year at daycare crud immunity carries over to you as a parent? Do you end up getting sick all of the time all over again? Or is it just the second kid mostly getting sick?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Are you guys thinking of Picasso Tiles? They're little magnet shaped things that link together to build poo poo?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Koivunen posted:

The end. I hope they can fix the problem tomorrow.

They’re a bit more expensive but ASP in the area is actually reliable and can get to you within a week or two unlike every other plumbing company up here that I’ve tried to get to my house.

Also I am done with snow and kids. I just want it to warm up so my kid can fly out the door and play outside.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Car chat: Anyone with a CX-9 or similar sized crossover do three car seats in the second row? How does that work for you?

Trying to figure out if three car seats in the middle row (leaving third row down) is viable or if it's definitely minivan time.

Rear or front facing? That makes a huge difference.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

One front (40+ lbs maybe I could do a more compact seat now?), one rear-facing infant carrier, and another rear facing seat that could be made front if needed.

How would you position them all?

I guess the LATCH stuff is only on the sides so middle would be tether and belt only.

If it were me I'd put the front facing in the way back because thats the most space efficient, and presumably theyre a bit more independent and helpful getting in. Then the rest in the middle row on the sides with the latch system.

But really I think you're mostly in minivan territory here.

EDIT: At least to do all this easily with the least amount of headache.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Renegret posted:

I asked my cousin at what age will I be able to stop looking at my kid's butt and she sadly informed me that she's still looking for that answer, and her son's 12.

My kid will keep asking us to "check butt" and starts saying "toot" a bunch right before she poops. Yesterday she had me check her diaper right as the turd was coming out, which was a new experience for me.

Seems like we could start potty training some, but shes only a year and half so I dont know.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I was gone over the weekend visiting family in another state.

Came home and my 19 month literally got off her scooter thing and ran towards me arms outstretched yelling "dada"! It was the highlight of my year.

Also she peed in the potty for the first time at daycare today!!!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My 20 month old is wearing me the gently caress out the last two days.

Everything has been a fight with her.

This morning she cried for mom at breakfast, threw her bowl of oatmeal, repeatedly hit and kicked at me, fought putting on clothes, cried the whole way to daycare, etc, etc. She wants to do everything "all by myself" then a split second "need help!" and then back to being mad at me if I try to help. Its exhausting and I really hope I get a reprieve tonight.

It doesnt help that work has been super busy and stressing me out either. Im nearing the end of my rope already this week.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

wizzardstaff posted:

I feel like this could have been posted from my account. It's absolutely exhausting and I feel you. I hope your week lightens up.

Right back at ya.

It seems like at this age, everytime you think something is working and you have it figured out they go and grow up and change everything.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

space uncle posted:

Why won’t this loving kid sleep. They slept through the night for the greater part of 2 years since we sleep trained at 6 months and now we’re hosed.

Even paid a sleep consultant to help out and my wife isn’t even following half the poo poo she says and it’s not even working anyway.

How are we going to have a second kid if we never get to sleep and can’t even gently caress anymore because we’re so tired or someone is sleeping on the floor.

Thank you for letting me rant at this ungodly hour.

It seems to come and go in waves. Good luck, hope it changes soon for you. We're now expecting our 2nd child and the lack of sleep on top of being sick all the time is my greatest fear.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Anyone elses kid just develop a fear/hatred of baths out of nowhere?

My kid as soon as she steps foot in a bath shoots out of there as fast as she can. Came out of nowhere and has been going on about 2 weeks now. We've resorted to showering with her to try and get her clean. Not a great start for summer dirt and grime season!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Potty training is coming up soon for us and I am dreading it.

We're going to take the "devote a full weekend with no diapers and lots of toilet time" approach I guess. Not looking forward to cleaning up a lot of pee and poop off the floor. But we've been doing cloth diapers for a while that you have to spray anyway so maybe my poop tolerance is high enough to handle it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My kid (25 months) has just decided to stop sleeping again. Shes never been a great sleeper but now she fights us at bedtime, wakes up at night, and wont settle back down.

Its started ever since we pulled the pacifier 3 weeks ago. Now she does a million curtain calls, asking for water, a diaper change, etc before she'll sleep. And if she wakes up in the middle night wont go back to sleep. Im so drat tired, ready to give in on the pacifier soon.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Well thats a gut punch.

We tried one night of sleep training and she just screamed for 2 hours before we gave up and settled her down again by holder her for an hour. I need this to stop before baby #2 comes in January. Im so sick of all these "sleep regressions".

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

In other "I'm crying in my car outside work" moments, these daycare illnesses just won't stop. It seemed after two weeks he stopped crying getting dropped off, but now that he's misses so much time (hasn't been there Monday through Friday in a month) that the crying at drop-off has begun and hasn't stopped. The constant medicine is also just torture for him. We switched to a little infant syringe because he would refuse to open his mouth for the little medicine cup. They're ruining his appetite, he's refusing to eat, just miserable all the time.

Ugh the daycare illnesses suck so bad. Our first year was last year and we've essentially been sick off and on all year since. I'm usually the last to get it so at least either my wife or myself is well enough to keep the ship sailing.

Hoping thats something we dont go through with kid #2 too!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My second child is due any day now I’ve forgotten all of my newborn knowledge from the first go round. Please let this kid be a good sleeper….

At least I get 3 months paternity leave with this one!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

It took me probably 6 months of my toddler sleeping through the night before I stopped having the random wake up in a panic thinking I heard crying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

quote:

How long does this sleep regression go? It was his first day at daycare today and he got a combined hour over 8 )974: in the building.

In my experience each one lasts a few weeks and they keep happening off and on until they're about 2.