Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I'm really, really worried about IBO. The first episode's 'let's introduce allllll the characters' had me pretty lost by the end, even though the action scenes were great-- the writing made me feel like someone tried to ape G-Reco without really understanding why it was great. And the fact that it's only supposed to be 25 episodes just worries me further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A number of anime shows are ~25 episodes. 26 episodes is like 11 solid hours of content discounting commercial time. It is entirely plausible and even easy to tell full stories in a fraction of that time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Thinking 25 episodes is not enough is being too used to Gundam's/Shounen anime's lovely pacing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

Thinking 25 episodes is not enough is being too used to Gundam's/Shounen anime's lovely pacing.

This

There are plenty of fantastic shows that tell a story with a fully fleshed out cast and setting in a dozen episodes.

No original anime needs to be 52 episodes these days, that's just bloated

Hell, even the MSG movies prove that there's a ton of fat to trim from shows of that length

Srice fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 7, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

This

There are plenty of fantastic shows that tell a story with a fully fleshed out cast and setting in a dozen episodes.

Hell, even the MSG movies prove that there's a ton of fat to trim from shows if that length

There are fantastic shows that are even shorter than that. For example: 0080

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Droyer posted:

There are fantastic shows that are even shorter than that. For example: 0080

Absolutely.

It's all about being economical with the amount of screen time you have, and I feel that when you have 50+ episodes it's way too easy to become complacent about it

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I thought g reconguista was okay but it really needed more episodes. Its pacing was bad.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Son Ryo posted:

I'm really, really worried about IBO. The first episode's 'let's introduce allllll the characters' had me pretty lost by the end, even though the action scenes were great-- the writing made me feel like someone tried to ape G-Reco without really understanding why it was great. And the fact that it's only supposed to be 25 episodes just worries me further.

IBO's writing from Ep1 is nothing like G-Reco's from Ep1. IBO is a lot more explicit about the general state of the world and the players that have been shown in it so far and most of the major characters are a lot easier to get a grip on than G-Reco. Mars is a shithole that is being exploited by the Earth government, some people on Mars have an independence movement running and princess girl is a major independence player, she hires the Cool Protagonist Kids Club as her bodyguards, Earth Space Police attack to try to kill her and end up in conflict with the Cool Protagonist Kids Club.

Comparatively, in G-Reco we had members of what would become the protagonist faction attempting to rob and hijack a space elevator in episode 1, followed by said protagonist faction shooting the gently caress out of a civilian city in episode 2 in order to rescue their captured compatriot. We didn't even know who the gently caress they were until several episodes later besides "space pirates".

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Srice posted:

This

Hell, even the MSG movies prove that there's a ton of fat to trim from shows of that length

Eh, I've never really been a fan of the MSG movies as opposed to the TV series. And I've never really seen a 12-episode show that I didn't feel like it could have done with a few more episodes to flesh out some things. That's not to say there haven't been a fair share of 50 episode or longer shows that cram in filler or drag things out, but I still feel like 50 is the 'sweet spot' for show length.

As for 0080, it's true that it didn't need many episodes to tell its story but the story was also extremely simple by Gundam standards, whether you feel like that's a good or bad thing. It also benefited from having a lot of its backstory established by the existing Gundam serires.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A lot of it is something that boils down to personal preference but you've really never seen a 12 episode show that fit its episode count perfectly? There are plenty of examples of those each year.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A 50 episode FLCL series would be painful

I thought Gurren Lagann at 25 was a bit too much. 50 would be unbearably slow.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's funny that the marxism chat happened in the IBO thread since 0080 is probably the most staunchly anti-capitalist work in the franchise.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also I will also add that 0080 doesn't require the background info from MSG, it's a neat bit of backstory but it could be an original OVA and still work.

They tell you everything about the setting that you need to know for the story it sets out to tell. The flavor bits like the Gundam being made for Amuro are just background fluff that's a neat link to the main series but not needed to understand the story.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If you asked me to remove a single episode from Eureka Seven, I couldn't choose it. Even the filler episodes serve to advance the characters and themes.

If you asked me to remove a dozen episodes from Zeta, I feel like I wouldn't have too much trouble keeping the series intact.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

If you asked me to remove a single episode from Eureka Seven, I couldn't choose it. Even the filler episodes serve to advance the characters and themes.

If you asked me to remove a dozen episodes from Zeta, I feel like I wouldn't have too much trouble keeping the series intact.

The football episode. I agree with your point though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oooh, ooh, I know where to start.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Haha I was literally just typing about how that was one of the few good ideas the Zeta movies had

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Droyer posted:

The football episode. I agree with your point though

that episode's still pretty good but i would probably just keep the norb scenes...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yes, please excise the inferior Four. ugh

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

that episode's still pretty good but i would probably just keep the norb scenes...

Yeah it's fun but it's also straight-up filler

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Raxivace posted:

It's funny that the marxism chat happened in the IBO thread since 0080 is probably the most staunchly anti-capitalist work in the franchise.

this makes me feel ignored

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

You could cut out episodes 23 to 31 in Zeta and everything with Rosamia and you'd miss nothing of value.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Her intro, her out-of-nowhere comeback or both?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ernie Muppari posted:

this makes me feel ignored

Why is that?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Her intro, her out-of-nowhere comeback or both?

yes.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Raxivace posted:

Why is that?

:(

Ernie Muppari posted:

the bourgeoisie of the post oyw universal century are more than happy to murder entire cities as soon as they catch a hint of revolutionary rhetoric in the air

from their point of view, karn's rapprochement-zeon was, ironically, the federation's savior

with the forces of both the titans and the aefo devastated, and public support for the lunar-terran establishment lower than ever, it would've been trivial for actual revolutionaries to rise up, gain the support of the space/earthnoid public and disillusioned ex-efsf/aefo/karaba/zeon personnel alike

instead, neo-zeon allowed the last of the titans holdouts to be redeemed though their deaths, forced karaba to work directly with the federal government by preventing the aefo from resupplying them, forced the aefo to act purely as anaheim's protectors by threatening luna, acted as a honeypot for reactionary and would be revolutionaries throughout the sphere, destroyed a massive amount of colonial industry thereby ensuring many colonies would again need outside support, and helped lower the growing earthbound poor population for the federation through mass murder

in the end the aefo and karaba are reabsorbed by the federation and become the titans with a smiley face, and the spacenoid aristocracy is knocked back to their 0060s status as unequal members in the federal establishment

Ernie Muppari posted:

it's not hard to come up with reasons for it if you take a materialistic view of the uc though

though the unrest of the late 0050s had resulted in both most of the eartnoid bourgeoisie reconsidering their colonial immigration plans (save for a few places like shangri la) and the federation granting some colonies limited self government, the eventual loss of both those gains by the spacenoid proletariat was almost certain if political pressure on the federal govenment wasn't maintained

by virtue of the fact that the zabi's wealth and status relied entirely on their political positions, they had little to gain and nearly everything to lose if moderates like jimba ral had their way and successfully pushed for rapprochement with the federation

simultaneously, the earthnoid bourgeoisie couldn't be secure so long as the sides were in the hands of people whose stated goal was ensuring the sides' freedom from earthnoid rule (even if their right to self governance was limited in the extreme)

Ernie Muppari posted:

oh deffo, once the first colonies come online it's only a matter of time before the material conditions most of humanity lives with change enough that it becomes improbable for even the most oppressive government to claim much more than a single colony for anything close to a significant period of time

the issue the uc keeps running into is that my previous statement is predicated on the idea that those in power in those regimes still hold with the liberal side of the bourgeois ideology coin which regards the intentional wholesale slaughter of innocents and complete destruction of universally needed infrastructure as an unacceptable price for their continued positions and wealth and privilege, which, as most gundam seems to suggest, is not the case for the majority of the aristocrats of the universal century

hence we keep hearing the shattering of glass as the rich and powerful break out the emergency stalhelms and get ready to dole out another round of gigadeath

with this perspective in mind, the jupiter empire, with its blatant lies about the sacrifices necessarily made by common people for simple survival, is almost, in a twisted, orwellian sort of way, progressive

edit: had casval, and those who followed him, not been quite so thoroughly personally broken, they could've easily taken anaheim's money & materiel, set themselves up as the genuine alternative to earth/spacenoid fascism people thought the aefo/karaba alliance represented, and perhaps used the popular support they'd garner to finally force the federal and lunar plutocrats to ceed even a little ground to the people even once

instead the second neo-zeon was just an incredibly costly murder-suicide

:mitt:

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I liked Rosima. She just wanted to have an older brother who loved her. =(

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

TNG posted:

I liked Rosima. She just wanted to have an older brother who loved her. =(

No, she was a crazy cyber-newtype programmed to turn retarded on command.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Rosamia's problem is that she's a retread of the Four plot (which was just concludes a few episodes before the start of the Rosamia arc), but this time Four is a borderline-retarded womanchild with no chemistry with the lead. It feels like her story was written so that there would be something on the air while there was internal reshuffling going on.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Those are all good posts, though I have to be honest that I just didn't remember about them since the newest one was like 10+ pages ago.

I think the reason I find 0080 to be more effective than the stuff that came before is that I feel that other Gundam show's societal criticism is kept at a distance from the audience, partially because of the toy commercial aspects that are trying to directly appeal to them and partially because they never really try to directly indict audiences. 0080 comes out and pretty blatantly criticizes audiences for wanting to play with war toys or war video games or watch action movies that, well, glorify and ultimately help fuel war and economic inequality. It's pretty blatantly against all of the commercial aspects of the Gundam franchise, going as far as to make the Gundam (Al)ex itself one of the central antagonists (This plus the negative spin on the Christmas-y setting is really blatant about the show's anti-capitalist leanings). And just in case we didn't get it, there's that final line from Al's school friend about how the next war will have even cooler toys/death machines.

I think it's a bit of an unfair message for the show to send in some ways (I'd have to imagine most people that would even bother to think about something like 0080 deeply at all would also have gotten the larger points of 0079 and everything else), but it dramatizes it very compellingly.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 8, 2015

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Unfair maybe, but I think it's a point that should be made, and often. Yes, it's all fantasy, and we can tell what's real from what's not, but reality is also created from what we take in and what we put back out. If that's a bunch of glamorized violence and consumer based mayhem in our fiction, maybe that's what we'll get in the world and find acceptable when we're confronted with real and much more brutal examples of it. I think the original Gundam is such a great piece of work because what it has to say about the culture and context that produced it is still important. We shouldn't forget or forgive our monstrous roles in our past. That the Principality of Zeon is really a pastiche of Imperial Japan is quite a brave and frankly astute thing to put forward. I wish more military based Sci-Fi would turn its lens on the war-like culture that produced it. All of the Tor Publishing authors could learn a thing or two from Tomino.

In the IBO thread, I thought it was very interesting when someone said that they were off put by the sniper scene and that the show's action was bad because of it. Well, people getting murdered should be off putting. I thought that scene was effective because I was kind of sick to my stomach about it. Violence isn't fun, we should stop pretending it is.

TNG fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 8, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Raxivace posted:

I think it's a bit of an unfair message for the show to send in some ways (I'd have to imagine most people that would even bother to think about something like 0080 deeply at all would also have gotten the larger points of 0079 and everything else), but it dramatizes it very compellingly.

This is pretty much my only problem with 0080. It is so overwhelmingly unsubtle about telling me that I'm a terrible person that it just gets kind of silly. Though It does make the fact that the Al, Bernie and Chris have happy endings in Build Fighters (the furthest Gundam has ever gone in celebrating its merchandise) unintentionally hilarious. :v:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLdh2r_xwGI

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You know, I don't really think 0080 is calling the viewer a terrible person for liking the toyetic elements of the franchise. There's a certain distance you're afforded when viewing a conflict that isn't remotely real; it struck me as more of a commentary on things like GI Joe and Call of Duty that take the real-life military and surgically suck anything that isn't "cool" out of them, rather than a commentary on people thinking an entirely fictional war is entertaining.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

LORD OF BUTT posted:

You know, I don't really think 0080 is calling the viewer a terrible person for liking the toyetic elements of the franchise. There's a certain distance you're afforded when viewing a conflict that isn't remotely real; it struck me as more of a commentary on things like GI Joe and Call of Duty that take the real-life military and surgically suck anything that isn't "cool" out of them, rather than a commentary on people thinking an entirely fictional war is entertaining.

It's a pretty direct commentary on how viewers place more value on the machines than human lives, in the fictional narrative.

It was constructed deliberately to reverse that situation, every character center to the story is presented sympathetically and given pathos and reason for their actions, the true antagonist is viewed from such distance and their actual effect on the plot so negligible it is nullified. It's a show about people, not a show about robot war.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 8, 2015

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I dunno, Al and his Pals are very much military otaku in their language and naivete. Al mostly follows the mysterious Zaku, which he knows all about, because he and his buddies love all the cool Zeon robots and how they're so much better than the lame Federation ones. Al gets drawn into a conflict where he witnesses the deaths of the entire Cyclops team, the burgerification of a man he had grown to admire, and knows that they died for nothing since the fleet coming to destroy the colony was intercepted. Also the war ended 4 days prior to Bernie's death. The ending is so great because everything Al had believed get's shoved back into his face.

"Don't cry, Al. There will be another war soon."

His machine worship and membership in the cult of militarism are shown to be the hollow and destructive things there really are. Maybe it's not so much a condemnation of people liking it, but an attempt to ask people what liking all of these things that make gear sounds and fly around and shoot really means in the world.

TNG fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 8, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's also still super prescient because the first thing everybody said about the new gundam show is I hope the robots are cool and I hope the fights look cool, characters and the actual writing are still considered secondary aspects of the franchise. All the talk about death flags just kinda hammers it in that as a genre mecha is still plot-narrative focused instead of character-narrative focused, to its detriment, although that's a personal observation and obviously plenty will disagree.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 8, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Orga is covered in death flags not because "it's Gundam, somebody must die to add tragedy" but because he's so obviously a roadblock to Mika's development.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I think people are also engaging with cynicism about the robot show genre in general, which I myself am guilty of. I'd put that more at the feet of the creators rather than a burnt out audience that can call out the beats 8 episodes in advanced. I think one of the problems with post-modernity is that it has convinced both creator and audience that a work is at its core about itself and its genre. That history has ended, there's nothing new, and it's all just about thinking about it as just a small thread in an old and moth bitten tapestry. I think if creators want to spice things up, there should be a bit of a break with that way of thinking. 0080 does it well, since how it works with its genre's tropes really affects the emotions of the characters and the audience. Certainly much more interesting than "Orga's gonna, and gotta, die because that's his archetype's point in these types of stories".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Orga is covered in death flags not because "it's Gundam, somebody must die to add tragedy" but because he's so obviously a roadblock to Mika's development.

Yeah, that's what I mean by plot focus instead of character-focus, sorry. I'm uneducated so I try to describe things as best I can but I probably use the wrong words to do it. Plot Narratives are traditional narratives formed by very mechanical adherence to tradition and convention. The hand of the author is very visibly crafting the narrative to match and then play with the audience's expectations for how these stories should go, in order to entertain. Character narratives are stories where the impetus is instead on the interactions and beliefs of the characters involved within. The hand of the author is still present but instead of things happening because this is what would tell the best story, its allowing things to develop more naturally through internal events and conflicts instead of overtly crafted external ones. Think Gabriel Garcia Marquez's short story work, I suppose.

Plot and Character focus also isn't a strict black/white spectrum either, its possible to tell stories without dramatic external events affecting them but even with those big actions there is room for characters to drive the story as opposed to the events of the plot driving them. 0080's characters are pressured by characters and events outside of their control to act the way they do, but the narrative gives them time and space to explore why they have made these decisions anyways, in a way a lot of longer gundam shows don't give its characters a chance to. That's just my view, though.

• Locked thread