Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Wagon fan, checking in. I've posted my old A4 Avant a few times around here, but might as well add a couple of my favorites here too.

When I bought it in January 2009, it looked like this:

A couple months later, I was bitten hard by the mod bug:

Then I got its fifth set of wheels:

Then I sold it like an idiot!

And I regret it everyday. Now I drive a fast but boring sedan. However, If everything works out, I'll be back in an Avant by the end of the month. I have a huge folder of wagon photos at home, I'll post my favorites later on.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

InitialDave posted:

My 325i Touring. Don't be jealous, it's way ropier than it looks in this picture.

I love that. The E30 is one of my favorite BMWs.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Duckboat posted:

Am I lame for thinking Dodge Magnums are cool?

I thought they were cool when they first came out. I appreciate that they're so different. Then I sat in one at an auto show and the interior didn't impress me much. And for being a wagon, they sure don't have a lot of useable cargo space due to the roofline. Still, a well done one turns heads.

Oh, and my new wagon will be here in about a week. :D

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Here is a small sample from my Avant folder:

And this is the car that made me start loving the B8 A4 Avant:

Which leads me to this: My new Avant! I didn't want to post until the deal was finalized, but that happened yesterday so it'll be on its way to me soon.

It's a fully loaded 2011 A4 Avant Prestige with every option except the Ti package. I got it for a steal because the BMW dealer it's was traded at didn't realize how rare it is. My local Audi dealer is organizing the transfer and shipping, and they will certify it when it arrives for a nominal fee.

I. Can't. Wait.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 13, 2012

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Also:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

WS6 97 posted:

The best wagon.

I'm pretty sure that's a photoshop, but I want to believe it's not.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You'll note that Audi doesn't sell the RS4 Avant anymore, either. It just doesn't make much sense.

There was no RS4 Avant for the B8 generation (2009-2012), but there is a "B8.5" 2013 RS4 Avant.

It's glorious and all, but putting in the old 4.2l V8 was an odd decision when the new S6, S7 & S8 are getting the amazing new 4.0TT engine. The new S8 with the 4.0TT is faster than an R8.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 5, 2012

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

havelock posted:

And the B8 is auto only.

Here's my manual b7 a4

I had an e46 m3 before this and I like the avant better - so does my giant dog who fits comfortably in the back.

It's slow and doesn't get great mileage, but I like it a lot...when I get bored I'll probably dump a bigger turbo in it or something.

Nice Avant. If you haven't had it tuned yet, get to your nearest APR dealer (or wait until their next sale, which happens about 3-4 times per year).

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ahaha "there is huge demand for this car!!!" no there isn't, gently caress you quattroworld guy.

There is, it's just from people who can't afford one (like me).

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Finally brought it home tonight, almost two months after I put down the deposit.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

From Reddit:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Finally got some decent quattro weather here in Minneapolis.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 28, 2013

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Speculative render of a Tesla Model S wagon (via http://www.theophiluschin.com/?p=4407)

I'd happily drive that.

Also from that site:
Aston Martin Rapide Shooting Brake
MB CLA Shooting Brake
Audi A1 Avant

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 31, 2013

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Amandyke posted:

Just picked up a 2013 Focus ST. I feel it's an appropriate color. I'll take a photo of it next to my other yellow wagon/hatch (2003 wrx sportwagon in sonic yellow) one of these days...

Nice car, but that is definitely not a wagon.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Yes but the SWB Transit Connect is nearly a foot shorter than the Mazda 5. If you're going to include the Mazda 5 or Kia Rondo, then I don't think it's that much of a stretch in terms of definitions since they're all minivans anyway.

Neither the Kia Rondo, Mazda5, or Ford C-Max are wagons either. Wagons are sedan-based, and usually have a long, flat roof and near fullsize rear side windows. No sedan version? Not a wagon. The Focus 5-door is a hatchback. Why is this so hard?

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 21, 2013

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Steve French posted:

So does the current Jetta wagon not count because it's based on a hatchback?

So you're asking if the wagon is a wagon because the hatchback exists?

The Focus hatchback is still not a wagon.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 22, 2013

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Steve French posted:

No, I'm saying that there is not really a sedan version of the current Jetta wagon because the Jetta wagon is not a Jetta in any sense other than branding, it's a Golf. The Jetta sedan is a different car.

Let me get this straight: Your argument is that because there is not a "current" version of the Jetta sedan that the MkV JSW is based on, that means it's not a wagon?

Steve French posted:

The real point is that who the gently caress cares what the exact defining line of a wagon vs not wagon is?

Because this is the wagon appreciation thread, dipshit.

Cakefool posted:

I like to think you handbrake backwards into every parking spot :allears:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

quote ≠ edit

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I want a wagon for 4-5k. I've been looking at A4 Avants with the 1.8t/manual/quattro or the v6 (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/3817832587.html)... is this what I want or should I look at a Forester or Outback?

Usage is a DD and sometimes pulling a small HF trailer with my Triumph 675 to a track within the surrounding 800mi. I don't really like how the Volvos look and the E39 BMWs get total poo poo gas mileage (I had one).

Skip the 2.8l engine, it's a turd. I wouldn't buy a B5 that wasn't a 1.8T A4 or a 2.7T S4, but I wouldn't use either of those motors to tow either. I'd look at the Subarus you mentioned instead.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Unknownmass posted:

I have been searching for my next vehicle and I have been really liking the Audi Avant. I would be looking at getting one from 2003-2007 and most likely an A4. Though the S4 sounds like so much fun, it is quite rare here (Colorado) and with worse gas mileage I think I will settle for an A4. How is the reliability of the A4 Avant from the mid 2000's, as any car I look at will have 80,000+ miles. Also is there any major issues or problems I should look out for when searching for cars? Thanks

Your search is over. You're welcome.
http://www.autofind.com/dealer/details/157165/WAUSF78E07A173373

I had a 2005.5 A4 Avant (posted earlier in this thread), and I loved it. If the car I linked to was for sale before I bought my S4, I'd jump on it. A 6-speed, A4 Avant in red with the Titanium package is incredibly rare. If I didn't have a kid on the way, I'd be making bad decisions and jumping on the next plane to Connecticut to pick it up.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Very nice, I don't think I've ever seen a 2.0T 6-speed JSW. I would definitely get a tune as soon as you can. You'll love what it does to the 2.0T. Some GTI headlamps would round out that front end quite nicely.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/3972006165.html

This thing has been tormenting me from Craigslist for the last few weeks. My white whale.

Keep looking for an '05 or newer. The '04's are even more prone to timing issues.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Mooseykins posted:

They're all prone to timing issues.. Due to Audi's great idea of having 4 chains and 8 or 9 guides, at the back of the engine.

Yes, but they fixed a lot of issues in '05.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Lilbeefer posted:

finally picked it up. 6MT 08my Liberty/legacy GT spec b Tuned by STI. Build 193 of 250. I love wagons and am always disappointed when I get out of one. Other then my Mazda 3 mps/mazdaspeed, my favourite cars I have owned have been wagons.

I gave up looking for a decent current shape GT, they are simply too ugly. This one has 48k km on it, and I certainly paid too much for it but it has been something of a dream car for a while now.

Congrats, that's a great looking wagon. I'm convinced that you can't pay too much if it's what you want.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Audi RS4 Avant Nogaro selection introduced, celebrates the original Avant RS2 model

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Because they're not 335's.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

That's why I don't have one. If BMW offered a manual 335i Touring, I'd be all over it.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

C5 allroads are awesome. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a 6-speed example last year that was beautifully preserved and mechanically sound for $5k. They are all over the place here in Minnesota, and people hang onto them. I've got a friend who just bought a Tial big turbo kit for his. With a tune, he'll be over 500chp.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Hello fellow Minneapolis resident and 2011 A4 Avant owner :cool:

Anyway, the allroad is perfectly fine except for it's price. It's several thousand more than a Q5!

Former 2011 A4 Avant owner. ;)

B8 A4 Allroads are nice, but like my '11 Avant, underpowered. C5 allroads are the poo poo.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Steve French posted:

Did they ever make a manual V8? I am guessing not, but I've never seen firm evidence that they don't exist aside from never seeing or hearing about one. Still kinda miss mine after it got totaled a year or two ago.

Nope, the 4.2 was auto-only.

nm posted:

They're awesome until something breaks. Air suspension, a 2.7TT, and random early 00 audi poo poo would terrify me. Even the C5 S6 seems less scary by comparison (though the 2.7TT has much more potential than the V8).

True, they're not for folks who aren't able or willing to maintain them.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

actionjackson posted:

What do you have now? I think something with more power is out of my price range.

2013 S4. Missed the power of my '11 S4 too much after trading it for the '11 A4 Avant. If I hadn't owned the first S4 for a little while, I probably wouldn't have had any problems owning the Avant longer.

By the way, I have no idea who I am speaking to.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

shane86 posted:

They made the 535iT for awhile though.. those are pretty bad rear end.

Yeah, but I just can't get over the E60's front end.

actionjackson posted:

Oh, you would have no reason to know me, I just got my Audi a few months ago. It's kind of in my blood as my father has owned eight Audi's and even done the Austrian winter driving thing. He has the same vehicle as me, but a prestige.

Ah, gotcha. Sounded like you knew me at first, and I couldn't place the screen name. I'm on Audi #5 personally. :D

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

blk posted:

Is the USDM one Xdrive only?

I don't think so. There's a 535iT roaming around here that is RWD. Manual too.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

KakerMix posted:

That Golf R wagon that was spotted doing some laps on a track over in Europe has a family member tearing across Arizona. This is my perfect car and I want badly for VW to make it available to me. I don't have much hope, but look at the thing!

I sent this link to my VW salesman friend when it first popped up, and he replied "no chance of it coming here, unfortunately." Not sure how much he'd know at this point (I'm guessing probably just as much as us), but drat, I would love to make this my next purchase. Probably just here doing hot weather testing though. :(

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I done went and bought me another wagon.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

EgonSpengler posted:

2014. I'm in Canada, and the Jetta Sportwagen is sold as a Golf up here.

Starting with the Mk7, it'll be called a Golf Sportwagen in the US too. About time, because the Jetta sedan and Jetta Sportwagen haven't been on the same chassis since 2010.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

EgonSpengler posted:

I wish I could have bought a Mark 7 wagon instead. The new Golfs look great and are getting awesome reviews, but it will likely be later this year before a wagon variant gets to market in North America.

My salesman told me they should start arriving on dealer lots in March.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Pricing on the Sportwagen got released today in the US. $22k for the base S 1.8T with a manual. TDI starts at $25k, a healthy discount over the outging.

I like the idea of the 1.8T but unfortunately you can only get it in El Cheapo trim with a stick.

More: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/12/2015-vw-golf-sportwagen-priced-from-21-395/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

• Locked thread