Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I get the distinct impression Coulter's on the wane, mostly due to simple redundance. I remember back in like 2004, she was the outrageous commentator. The old school lefty blogs like Sadly, No and Hullabaloo et al spent a disproportionate amount of time kneading their foreheads about her.

Nowadays she's practically a footnote. Oh, wacky Auntie Ann went and called half the electorate filth undeserving of death. How quaint, considering that we gone and loving elected people to national office that say the exact same thing and can have people nodding along as if they aren't complete lunatics. She ain't an outsider anymore, she's the mainstream. Can't score readers through sheer shock value anymore, because she isn't shocking. Same deal with Michelle Malkin, the poor man's Coulter. The market's glutted with their sort, and they're slipping away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dilkington posted:

Haha don't be so glum- generations die and things will change. Things look particularly bad because we have a lot of older Americans who enjoyed a decadent and unsustainable existence. This is just bullshit pop-philosophizing but I think American material prosperity after WW2 created generations of people incapable or unwilling to accept modernity. I think there are interesting parallels here between the US and some nations in the Islamic world.

EDIT: Chimp_On_Stilts put it much better than I could

I've been saying this a lot lately, but hahaha hooooly poo poo if you think the boomers are bad just wait until GenX gets their stupid rear end in a top hat hands on the country. Buncha folks that came up in the late seventies and eighties, and think of the Reagan Times as "oh yeah, it was awesome. I loved He-Man."

Millions upon millions of Paul Ryans. Hope dies to the sound of Nirvana and Radiohead.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dilkington posted:

Haha- I hope you're wrong- I don't want to witness Nirvana being abused that way.
It's already starting! Huntsman loves him some Nirvana, and Ryan is a big fan of Rage Against the Machine. I can see it now, "My fellow Americans, if chosen to lead this country I can promise I will rally 'round the family. By cutting family planning and overturning the Ledbetter Act."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

I'm really getting tired of the "GEN X IS TOTALLY RIGHT WING DUDERS" line. Go read the Pew Research Center's report on generational trends again -- each generation is, generally speaking, more liberal than the previous. President Obama isn't a long-haired dirty leftist, but he ain't Alex P. Keaton by a long shot.

Nirvana? Rage Against the Machine? Big deal -- Reagan tarted the hell out of Bruce Springsteen too. Conservatives love to pretend to align themselves with yesterday's revolutions.

That's actually kind of relieving. The stuff I'd read framed it in terms of increased belief that corporations are more trustworthy than the government, that racism is over, etc. And to be fair, the book made some vague claims that my generation was probably even worse. It's good to see some proof to the contrary.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SedanChair posted:

The bon mots of Sean Hannity form the entirety of right-wingers smug talking points at work and Thanksgiving. They look to him desperately as a savior.

Jesus Christ, Birchers have the worst taste in everything.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ErIog posted:

They like G. Gordon Liddy because he stood up to liberals to the point where they threw him in jail for sticking it to those Dems! He was on the front lines fighting the good fight against hippies.
Everything about the Plumbers reads like it was meant to appeal to paranoid middle american SEKRIT WAR freaks. The Committee To Re-Elect the President engages protocol ODESSA on advisement of [deleted]. Colson taps Liddy to carry out SMERSH-ALPHA against known NOGOODNIKS. Ehrlichmann declines to inform POTUS of details, better he not know the specifics.

It all makes Liddy out to be some two-fisted Nick Fury secret agent, when in fact he's just some idiot that looks like a penis with a Brimley 'stache who got paid exorbitant amounts of money to get pinched jimmying locks. Dude makes cheesecake calendars of women in stars and stripes bikinis delicately brandishing assault rifles for chrissake, he probably had to grow that cookie duster out to hide the fact he's got a birthmark that spells out "LOSER" above his upper lip.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

the2ndgenesis posted:

I think he means that Fox does mostly dogwhistle homophobia as opposed to outright gay bashing. Indulging in Falwell-esque tirades about the latest Homosexual Agenda Plot du jour is, thankfully, finally starting to become unfashionable.

I'm actually kinda stunned there hasn't been more right wing media outreach to the Good Homosexuals, i.e. white middle class folks. The intersection between "hateful shithead" and "gay" must have some money to tap into.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Mike Huckabee is what you get after a teleporter accident involving Newt Gingrich and a copy of Wise Blood.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ufarn posted:

The guy is an unironic Guilded Age apologist. You just have to read some things to believe them.

At this point, being a regular NYT columnist is a mark of Cain.

I remember way back when Billy Kristol got shitcanned for being always wrong forever. People were like, holy cow is this the NYT finally waking up and realizing that giving column space to abject morons is not sound journalistic practice?? Then they announced that he would be replaced byyyyy *drumroll* Ross Douthat!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

David Frum posted:

Over the past generation, American society has closed route after route into the middle class. Wages are stagnant, upward mobility has slowed, job security has deterior­ated, higher education has become more expensive, and two-parent families have dwindled. Meanwhile, we have opened more and more roads to self-harm. Must we now open another?
Am I getting concern trolled by David loving Frum?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

Those of you hating on Frum are ignoring the fact that he's one of the few NeoCons to develop an actual brain and thought process against the current GOP. Hell, he posted that NY Mag piece on the GOP being so drat crazy before the election, and all he has done since is advocate for the party to stop being such a bunch of insane blowhards. He's pro-gay marriage and pro-environment, which is better than the vast majority of his party. Don't bully the lesser of two evils here. Do you really want the Mark Levins of the world having more say over the GOP than the Frums? Hint: One is willing to compromise.

Doesn't matter if you're the most rational man in the madhouse when you still think the Bilderberg Group put a chip in your molar that makes you scream at lamp posts.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ramadu posted:

Seriously, where and how the gently caress do I go to make 230,000 as a single person?

A small sterile room underneath the NYSE where they use lasers to burn out the part of your brain that feels compassion and then wire you full of warez that link you into the mutual fund overmind.

Lachrymal hemorrhaging and alienation from the basic touchstones of humanity are a small price to pay for leveraging power of this potency.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Spacedad posted:

This sounds literally like a Francis E Dec rant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJLhnts9-oQ

Would you believe that I managed to pick up the phrase "Gangster Computer God" somehow without ever once seeing one of these videos? I think it was an easter egg in the first Myth game.

e. although if you read interviews with high-powered traders and hedge managers they come off as being not too far removed from Gibsonian automatons that exist to execute meaningless transactions until the piles of money they've been entrusted with become larger piles of money through sheer financial witchcraft. I saw this one where the guy straight up says something to the effect of "I sleep at my office, I haven't seen my wife in almost a month. I supposedly have a kid I'm neglecting, but christ knows how THAT happened."

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 15, 2013

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cordyceps Headache posted:

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/glenn-beck-sees-civil-war-brewing-america

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/beck-provides-more-insights-obamas-looming-civil-war

Glen Beck, walking in the footsteps of greats like MLK and Gandhi (whom he claims to stand in solidarity with), wants conservatives to engage in nonviolent resistance to Obama's coming gun confiscation, to fill up the nations jails rather than give in to violence. You see, for 4 years now, Obama has been systematically trying to provoke conservative into doing something :airquote: crazy :airquote: in the hopes of provoking a violent response, that he will use to turn people against the right by smearing them as violent racist nutjobs.

I look forward to reading Glen's masterpiece of civil-rights rhetoric, Letters from Obama's secret CIA blacksite below D.C.

Y'know for a bunch of not-racist, not-violent nutjobs, right wing Concerned Citizens sure do talk about being provoked a whole bunch.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Nonsense posted:

It's how their brain's work. It's like how a liberal's brain has the mental illness of empathy.

So I guess handwringing and "why can't they better themselves??" tutting is the NPR equivalent of dudes updating each other on how dry their powder is.

The powder is so dry you would not believe it. Drier than a cutting remark from Mr. Darcy in the Gobi Desert.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Marxist badges? What, like, Suzie got this one for seizing the means of production?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Good news everyone! Neal Boortz, king libertarian assclown is retiring/being forced out/something and Herman Cain is replacing him. If you aren't already a victim of conservative talk radio, you might want to start listening because this poo poo is going to be amazing.

Oh my gosh. This is going to be the very best, like nothing ever was. They need to lead in with that awesome HER-MAN CAIN!! stinger from his campaign ads.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Zwabu posted:

So is this guy actually out of the closet? Does he just kind of ignore the gay marriage/DADT issues that have come through in recent years? Hell the President's Inaugural Address just endorsed the right of gays to marry, does he just avoid those topics?

He may be one of those folks who are in a certain income bracket and feel their economic interests outweigh their civil ones? I mean, that's sad, but people have their priorities so whaddyagonnado.

on the other hand, first against the wall etc, etc.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Aliquid posted:

I totally get this. Growing up in small-town Texas, I saw every preacher-type out there, and only a few truly believed their schtick. Most just viewed it as another job.

I'm going to keep bringing up the story of how Huck vetoed disaster relief because it referred to it as "an act of God", and apparently he took offense at the idea that God would roll like that. You'd think a southern evangelical would know by heart exactly how Old Testament God did things, vis-a-vis rains of fire, wormwood, etc.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dennis Miller called water boarding a "fraternity prank."
So has Miller switched up his routine since going crazy? I can't imagine his whole "I don't want to go off on a rant here, but Obama's State of the Union was so self-aggrandizing it made the Res Gestae Divi Augusti look like a zen koan about annihilation of the self" schtick playing with the Freep crowd.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

I think if Rick Perry had survived the primary he could have easily won the election. People say he would have been weak to Bush comparisons, but I really think people overestimate how lasting and pervasive Bush's unpopularity is. I think his lack of exposure since he left office has more to do with him not wanting the exposure than him being sequestered away by the party. I could see Bush comparisons being a favorable thing in maybe one or two more elections.
Perry isn't even particularly well liked in Texas. The man has even fewer convictions than Romney and is actually pretty dumb. Not in a shucks-golly fake way like Bush II either, he's a posterboy for the corrupt halfbright good ol' boy archetype.

He couldn't even run on his record because it includes things like making the HPV vaccine mandatory.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
All you really need to know about Rick Perry is that in an ad where he attempts to connect with the average workin' man, he lopes geekily through a field wearing spotless Carhartts. He's not disconnected in a Romney way so much as a Forrest Gump way.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

tek79 posted:

"Pop culture tells women that it's normal, trendy and good to be a liberal. Take these popular women's magazines full of liberal propaganda. All in the front on big font they always say 'sex', 'butts' and 'orgasm's'...pretty inappropriate stuff on full display at the check out line...and the craziest thing is that these magazine's have ridiculously expensive products that only a trophy wife or banker could afford!"

"Butts" is inappropriate? What is she, eight years old? Whoa bias alert, I found a thing in the NYT Review of Books where they use the word "titular". Hehehemmnheh, hey Butthead you said...

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

The Huffpo article says that in the five days following the hurricane, there was not a single homicide in all of NYC.

Also, I think LaPierre was thinking about the South Bronx, but got his boroughs mixed up because he is an idiot. When I think of roving gangs of looters in Brooklyn, I think of the cast of Girls knocking over a vintage vinyl store.

Well going off the Kreider Unified Armament Theory (vis, "Guns are for pussies"), the head of the NRA should be the world's biggest tremulous simp. He probably crosses the street with one hand on his wallet when he sees a hipster. He has to carry a special anti-convulsive autoinjector, for use in event of black people.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Experts blame the rash of assaults and grand theft vespa incidents on the lyrics glorifying violence and misogyny in Paul Banks' rap mixtape.

I'm not even loving kidding about that existing, by the way.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

BlackJoo posted:

I don't understand, are they upset because a white racist is being portrayed as a villain? Or because they think this character is an unfair depiction of the tea party? I watched a few videos of "Jack Swagger" the racist wrestler and his coach "Zeb Coulter", and if anything, the poo poo they were saying was more tame than what you hear on fox news and talk radio every day.

These are the people who refused to admit Obama was born in the US, and embraced Romney's 47% comments. But a faux racist wrestler implying that his mexican opponent is not a "real american" who came here leech off the government, is somehow offensive and out of bounds?

Society has successfully impressed on people that being racist is bad, ergo being called racist is bad. But society has also impressed on people that you have to use racial slurs to be racist. So in these people's minds, they're being called the worst thing ever for no reason at all because b-b-but I didn't call him the no-no word, I can't possibly be racist.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Still waiting on the Michelle Obama Whitey Tape, Drudge.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Spacedad posted:

The only thing radio has going for it is its immediacy. Live newscasts, traffic updates, live DJ events/interviews/call-ins, and so on.

If they're just replaying podcasts, then what's the loving point?

A lot of Clear Channel's stations may as well be playing podcasts at this point. They're basically just servers in a cabinet somewhere that prerecorded station IDs, ads, and playlist programs get loaded into. During Hurricane Ivan they didn't even bother broadcasting useful evacuation info or weather updates.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

100 Friedman Units in a Hair's Breath.

Or about 160 Fergusons, for you UK posters.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm sort of conflicted on this whole issue since the US justice system is hosed up and totally does ruin lives but that really does not excuse rape in any way shape or form. I doubt any news network had that sort of nuance to their commentary though.

I don't think there's anything contradictory about on one hand condemning rape and the culture that enables it, while on the other thinking sex offender registries are questionable. Especially when said registries are used to, say, force a group of people into living under bridges.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

McDowell posted:

The Muslim Brotherhood came to power with a popular vote. The US has subsidized the Israeli and Egyptian governments for years. But I guess Neocons have always been dishonest about the validity of a popular vote.

Neocons operate on the very sincere belief that everyone, everywhere, deep down in their hearts really wants to live in Iowa. Consequently if we roll in to win the peoples' hearts and minds all over the adjacent wall through the medium of depleted uranium, and they thank us by voting in the Muslim Brotherhood, obviously the vote must've been rigged. You can tell it was illegitimate because the voters didn't go for our preferred candidate, a sock puppet with googly eyes pasted on.

e. in other words, it's not that they're dishonest so much as they are totally removed from reality.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 26, 2013

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Crasscrab posted:

Sock puppet with googly eyes pasted on did not poll well with the voters, sadly. We're hoping the marionette will do better in the next round of elections.

And if that doesn't work, there's always the old standby of a US-backed coup by a brutal strongman in aviator shades. Campaign motto: "You Fuckers Just Had to Choose to Do This the Hard Way, Didn't You?" I hear the CIA's already printing up posters.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Gentlemen, gentlemen, perhaps we can forge some middle ground: nerdcore can be the absolute wackest thing without being inextricably racist.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
"The tree of liberty must from time to time be refreshed with the blood of children. Actual chirldren. ahahahahaa i'm a beast, jerry, a fuckin animal." - Thomas Jefferson

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, the comprehension that there's nobody actually making everything happen and horrible things just happen sometimes is profoundly disturbing to some people. Reminds me of the Lovecraft stories where the real horror isn't the monster, it's the realization that there's no God watching us and the universe is neither benevolent or hostile to us, just indifferent. To the right mindset, that's terrifying.
And sometimes the unfathomable horror is miscegenation :v:. Ol' Howie would be a real Infowars aficionado, were he still with us.

Although it is kind of amusing to me how things like cabals of reptiloid body-snatchers manipulating the global magnetic field to usher in a New World Order is a conspiracy. But financial institutions manipulating global grain prices to bump their bottom line up while inadvertently starving tens of thousands of people? Well that's just good business sense.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 16, 2013

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I hope it doesn't turn out that a Saudi is behind the Boston bombing. I'd hate to have to go back into Iraq again.

Don't sweat it, the odds of the same country coming up twice in a row on the DoD's randomizer is really low.

~*Wheel of imperialism turn turn turn, tell us the country that we should burn*~

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

It burns my rear end like loving napalm to listen to these opportunistic creeps advocate the suspension of habeas corpus,

Did we ever actually un-suspend it after Bush or is that just another thing that we're not supposed to remember?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:smug:

It was harder to whine about FDR after Pearl Harbor, yes, but they had a field day accusing him of being a communist plant for the whole New Deal thing.

The pre-war years of the FDR administration were a beautiful clusterfuck. Huey Long blowing into the Senate and announcing that there's a mob coming for every motherfucker in congress and he ain't sure if he should try and stop them or grab a pitchfork himself. Robert Moses running NY State like his private kingdom. Socialists and Anarchists in the Midwest. Some serious Last Days of the Roman Republic action going on in those days.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That's a beautiful run right there. We're doing great! Who cares! No resource ever runs out! The air and water in LA are perfectly fine for consumption! Lets all take a swim in the Hudson river! And those people who say "yeah but in a few decades the parties over"? Well they don't even like to party so gently caress em!

I don't think I could pen a more trollish earth day article if I tried. That is hilaaaaaaarious. If someone handed that to me on 3 ring notebook paper and told me it was a 14 year olds debate class paper where they were forced to argue the issue from that position I wouldn't flinch at all.

I feel like we should be taking names down, so that when we're all living in the prologue to A Canticle For Lebowitz we know who to use as bait to distract the cannibal hordes long enough to escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Crasscrab posted:

I think that's an unfair thing to say about Scientologists. Not everyone in Scientology is affiliated with the shadiness that occurs at the executive level. Yes, as an institution Scientology is a profit driven religion. But it still provides the same communal and spiritual at a personal level for many adherents. An interesting book that I recently read is Inside Scientology: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion. It's a really interesting story.

Then again they have an institution where your soul gets bonded to a contract of indentured servitude for a billion years, so you work for free on their Snow Crash tax-evasion flotilla. Not saying you can't be spiritually fulfilled by Scientology, I'm just saying the dudes up top are more brazenly taking advantage of their adherents than most religions.