Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Jason Benham posted:

"For us to take credit for building a successful business would be like a shovel taking credit for digging a hole. We're simply the tools God chose to use to build a successful business."

These guys say this poo poo all the time, and I only ever hear it as a humble-brag, almost invoking divine blessing on their wealth. Anyone familiar with the evangelicals, what's going on here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Centripetal Horse posted:

If your business is divinely blessed, literally nothing you do can possibly be wrong. You are exceptional and deserve success and wealth, otherwise God would've chosen a different shovel. Your employees deserve minimum wage, and deserve to be abused and treated like poo poo. Otherwise, God would not have hired them to work in His business.

I am not saying that these people necessarily treat their employees like poo poo, only that it's okay if they do, because God.

Hmm, this makes the Kingdom of God out to be a pretty lovely organization to be a part of. Christian Dominion worst dominion. Or none of these motherfuckers believe a word of their own religion, and actually challenge the authority of god more than I could ever hope to as a secular atheist.
Anyone else?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Spacedad posted:

Really getting sick of this right wing homophobes strategy of claiming to be victims of 'intolerance' when people call them out on their gay-bashing bigotry or they face consequences for it. I'd like to find a suitable way to efficiently torpedo it whenever if it comes up in a succinct and eviscerating manner.

What they are basically asking for is freedom from criticism, which is already granted liberally to anyone who doesn't open their mouths in public. The persecution they seek relief from is the feeling of fear they feel before spouting their insane ideas, because they know that every time they do it in mixed company, they get ostracized. It would also be especially great if companies would defy the profit motive and cease to hide the bigotry of its management from the public. They demand three rather significant things, that are granted to pretty much no one under any circumstances. These expectations could come only from a privileged group.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

She's not doing a good job at all of convincing anyone Bill Nye is wrong, but she's doing a decent job of making people who automatically disagree with him feel good.

One of these things isn't her job, and one of them is. I think the main reason I can't stand this girl is that her name sounds like that of an accomplished author in her fifties, which is really deceptive. She's probably less annoying than young male conservative commentators. Because who isn't.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
As a winger, I'd be more concerned about the formation of all-gay carrier battle groups.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Maher is a pretty major proponent of privacy because he has a dismally low opinion of the US public and doesn't trust them to do anything right, or not to have the wrong reaction to any privileged and personal information they may come upon. I sympathize, unfortunately and I think this is a widespread sentiment. The public's antipathy towards itself is why attempts at a left populism are so abortive in America. Nothing to do with flaws in the US character, just about everything always getting distorted and misunderstood due to massive failure in organization and our sociopathic media.

This is definitely a mini derail though because I have no idea what this has to do with Sterling, or how the bill of rights got dragged in.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Glass the fuckers :clint::fap:

Glassing cunts is the Australian and British national pastimes. I like to think we practice a dignified passive aggression here.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I like his show sometimes but it's on a cable subscription channel so who cares. That the right finds time to hate him is only evidence of how small and insubstantial the American left really is. That we find time to hate him more.. Idk.

Colbert moving into late-night is a way-the-gently caress bigger deal.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
AJ is such an odd looking motherfucker.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

He also spent three days talking about the kind of sex he imagined her having when she was 13, and what her privates were shaped like after so much sex.

Can anyone top this? Always more, always worse. The only principle that has never failed me.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

happyhippy posted:

That's Obummers FEMA death camps for ya, there ain't many of us left to protest!

I think if you told this to them, at least some would pretend to believe it. I doubt they'd actually take it at face value, but there's definitely a culture there of not disagreeing with anything that is an escalation of some sort.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Note that he still doesn't have Benghazi spelled correctly

He probably arrived with it spelled correctly, and then an organizer quickly pointed out the sort of gathering this was and helpfully advised an error or two, and handed him a sharpie and some more cardboard.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Why this is supposed to be a problem or contradiction for the party that is still happy to parrot "The US isn't a democracy, it's a republic", I don't really get.
Yes they have a populism. A populism which includes everyone who agrees with them, and no one who doesn't. That's not a populism, but it doesn't matter since the whole drat country ties themselves in knots to find a way to take the Republicans at face value.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Phone posted:

@fart just retweeted Pat Sajak reminding everyone that he's a loving moron

Pat if those "ends" include the strangling of industry for aesthetic reasons, YOU'RE A loving BIRCHER. JBS thought is now bland Republican orthodoxy, and our poo poo is so infinitely hosed in this abortion of a country.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

That's really his Twitter account. Huh. Guess he's old and rich enough that he's stopped giving a gently caress.

Old fucks hate the idea of action on climate, bc they get asked to do a thing but won't ever be around to take credit for doing it.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

My understanding is that Two-Spirited people were more along the lines of modern third-gender options like really swishy gay men and really butch lesbians. So, homosexual members of one gender adopting exaggerated traits from the opposite gender. This is in contrast to Herculean or Sapphic notions of homosexuality where it is all about reveling in exaggerated traits from within their gender.

There are plenty of examples of both trends in numerous cultures throughout history, often co-existing. Instead of calling yourself Two-Spirited, why not just call yourself "fabulous" and rock out to some sweet dance remixes in drag.

What does this have to do with conservative politics, or anything.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

FMguru posted:

Remember, lots of Evangelicals don't believe in homosexuality. They don't think people are born homosexual any more than people are born thieves or born adulterers. There are no homosexuals, just people who engage in (sinful) homosexual acts. Homosexuality is a temptation and a choice, one that can people can be led into (by Hollywood movies and Ellen DeGeneres and gays who "recruit" young men and women) and also be led out of (hence, those pray-away-the-gay conversion programs). So, by their weird worldview, there is such a thing as gay propaganda that tempts people to fall away from the path of righteousness. Being gay is unnatural, so those impulses have to come from somewhere, and every effort to "mainstream" acceptance of homosexuality is driving people into error and sin.

This is also why they're so fixated on the "gay lifestyle" being a constant 24-hour orgy of dicks and butts and degradation, and why the very notion of two gay people just deciding to marry and settle down and build a life together makes about as much sense to them as asking a computer to divide by zero.

Yeah, but the evangelicals and the liberals aren't the only people in America. There's another huge bloc that just has an inherited cultural aversion to guys kissing. Way the gently caress easier to change though, simply by a stronger culture of tolerance displacing the old one. So these guys are disappearing in their desperate quest to please women (who have gay friends).

And all of evangelical Christianity starts from an us vs them, (if we're not being persecuted we're not doing it right), place. So you can expect them to dissent from a lot about the new world.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 21, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Please somebody post a poll that says most Americans are disgusted with the Republicans, and that at least 25% consider them the greatest single threat to this country, beating out terrorism, the Yellowstone caldera, and direct asteroid strike.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Yeah, but like polls. To indicate that the members of this forum are not completely alone in the way we think about Republicans. We think quite harshly of them.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

quote:

You’re presuming I got lifted up the ladder.

Ahahahah. You had me until gently caress you. He got a hundred hundred breaks, and there was a time when he used to thank everyone responsible for them weekly on his sex call-in radio show. Maybe he's comparing his own slog up the fame ladder to that of a Disney channel replicant. Idk we seem to talk about this guy an awful, awful lot. I only had to hear about his desire for private trash service twice before I turned his rear end off. I guess it's cute, like my dad would be cute saying that stuff.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

I can't even summon up a bit of anger for these ratfuckers anymore. Maybe he'll get drunk and crash his car into a sycamore this year.
I swear if I were one of these guys, nothing would chill me to the bone more thoroughly than the possibility that there is in fact a judging and vengeful god.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Is there anyone the right despises quite so much as a mass shooting victim?

Pattycakes posted:

What the actual gently caress. I decided to take the effort of going to view his twitter page, and it's full of poo poo just as bad as this. How the hell does this man have a job?

Well you live in a country in stark and obvious decline, and it's clawing its own eyes out looking for people to blame.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
What are we in denial about? Chasing down and arresting creepy virgins ahead of time? Or about the link between guns and bullets hitting people?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
And neither did the NRA, so I'm not sure who your foil is here.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The Reverse Mortgage sounds like the perfect product for a FYGM grandparent.

I'm pretty sure they're usually a scam. Telling a bunch of financial corps, "Hey, I'm dying and running out of money. Want to buy my house off me?" is not a recipe for mutual prosperity and fair terms.
As in the case of structured settlement buyout firms, people who have an asset but want it faster get fleeced pretty hard.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Is this another one of those "universal firearms until we realize that means black people get them too" situations or are they ok with that?

Hahahah yeah I wish. Nah they love poor blacks getting armed to the teeth because it means less poor blacks. It also means fewer poor whites. Poor people get into fights over poo poo and shoot each other.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/dinesh-dsouzas-america-warns-hillary-clinton-will-finish-off-the-country/article/2549114

He's unintentionally correct, of course. Wherever will all the hateful people go?

Also, is this supposed to be something that a person would actually want?

Oooh, they could finally win an election on their decade-long campaign to make Obama into a demonic figure. Just not an election against Obama.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Hah, the only American POW of Afghanistan. You can't oppose that exchange without feeling like a heartless bastard. All countries love prisoner exchanges since international prisoners are such a massive liability.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
There is like nothing more boring than getting rich and famous and buying a fleet of cars. Nobody spends a dollar any more loving stupidly than a newly rich dude. There's a reason transfers from the rich to the poor boost the economy.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

MizPiz posted:

He couldn't pander to ADTRW any more blatantly.

Also, any word on lowtax's interview?

Hey I just remembered that Lowtax's name comes from a likely Republican hero, Byron Lowtax Looper who shot dead his Democratic opponent in the race for Tennessee state senate. Despite being arrested on suspicion of the murder, he nearly won the seat by default, a travesty foiled only by a write-in campaign to nominate the dead rep's widow.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

ErIog posted:

I think that's what they would say. Health, income, and a host of other weird things are all deeply moral issues for a lot of conservatives. They literally say, "Being rich is proof you're living more successfully than other people! Income equality would reward people for living 'improper' lifestyles." Look at all their rhetoric about HIV.

I can guarantee that if Obama devised a cure for lung cancer they would campaign against it because "cancer is nature's really delayed and indirect way of telling you not to smoke."

Cure for viral STD's will just have to come from some other country, because god knows the politicians in this one would order the samples destroyed and the researchers shot. They don't really believe in the market, or they wouldn't be so fond of artificial scarcity. They are the party of pain and poverty, because their ideas are thousands of years old no matter who makes their suits.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Conservatives should never talk about sex ever. Lest people remember that a pillar of the conservative movement is the support of the individual right to become viscerally enraged at the thought of anyone having sex who isn't you. Their children know more about sex at fourteen than they do at forty.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

This is insane.

No, it's only natural.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Thump! posted:

Yeah I'm actually legitimately interested in purchasing some of that coffee.

More of a novelty thing, really.

Maybe if we all buy so loving much, he’ll retire to a coffee farm in Hawaii and take up surfing. Can the Bill gates foundation agree to buy 50 million dollars of whatever coffee Alex Jones personally farms, from outside the contiguous United States?

I think we need to outbid wingnut welfare and get these guys better jobs.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

shadow puppet of a posted:

All I want is for "Thank you for your service" to expand to all salaried government employees. Its the only logical conclusion. Because really, its the only way the Coast Guard is ever going to get its share of the Are Troops thank-wanking.

Republicans have always hated the Coast Guard for not asking for enough money and dumb-rear end toys.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I agree, but you still can't criticize American imperialism unless you introduce it with an "I support the troops, but" in the form of a glowing panegyric to the troops, all of whom are greater than the greatest teacher, doctor, or what-have-you that ever lived. Not to mention that it's still beyond the pale to criticize the troops or their motives.

I think the troops get put on a pedastal for the same reason pretty girls do, so they can be dehumanized and hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
oh