Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

I think she's doing the RETVRN tradwife thing now

She did fairly recently announce she'd abandoned atheism* for traditional Catholicism and was now concentrating on living the life God intended etc etc, in other words, she's shifted to D-tier christian grifting like Milo, 'cept even more embarrassing.

*I've seen nothing to suggest she was ever an atheist in any meaningful way, needless to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

FMguru posted:

Carson's was about what a wild, out-of-control, violent, drugged-up hellraiser he was a teenager, including pulling a knife and stabbing someone, until he found the Light Of Christ and was saved and became a world-class neurosurgeon. He repeated these stories over and over again in right-wing Christian circles, and everyone took it at face value.

When he ran for president, he told those same stories, and reporters went and investigated, and when they contacted people who knew him growing up, every one of them rolled their eyes and said Carson was a quiet and studious mama's boy who always had his nose buried in one book or another.

But what of Friend Bear?!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

He had a full on meltdown under cross-examination during his deposition. Him being in an actual courtroom in front of a jury would be somehow even worse.

When was it that he ripped his shirt off and ran screaming from the room, his divorce proceedings or the subsequent custody hearing (where I'm pretty sure he tried the chili-amnesia gambit)? Regardless, I seem to recall that got brought up early on in his current suit and one of his lawyers responded something to the tune of, "oh that's just something he does from time to time, ignore it."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ErIog posted:

If Ben Shapiro lived in the same time as Shakespeare he'd have been ranting on some street corner decrying the plays as morally repugnant and an affront to the nobility.

A local smith would have invented a modern high school locker solely for the purpose of shoving him into it. A local failson inventor would have invented a flush toilet solely to give him a swirlie.

I am pleased to relate to you that the very first flush toilet did in fact exist at the time (invented 1596 by Sir John Harington, though it was not widely adopted until very much later), so Elizabethian Ben Shapiro would, indeed, have been swirlied.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

She’s running for Congress in a different part of the state now

Previously she ran in a district in South Florida

Now, she’s running against another incumbent Republican in Central FL

And badmouthing her opponent as too old for the job, because criticizing the elderly is totally a winning move in Florida.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
This last page has been one of the most credible efforts I have seen in ages to lure GameQuoter back into active posting.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know but I had a MAGA boss for a good long while who advised me to check him out. Near as I can tell, he's the self help guru for people with a libertarian bent so he "makes sense" along those lines but last I heard he was hooked on benzos or some poo poo. I think he's like the Ayn Rand of self help book authors but my exposure to him is admittedly a really small sample size.

He got hooked on benzos due to his near-crippling anxiety issues, then rather than detox reasonably he checked himself into a shady Russian clinic which put him in a medically-induced coma so he could ride out withdrawal unconscious (and in all likelihood suffered non-trivial brain damage in the process), and now swears he's cured all of his mental and emotional issues by eating only red meat and salt. Also he sounds like Kermit's whiny libertarian cousin and resembled a mummy crumbling in slow motion.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Star Man posted:

I have been saying since 2019 that Steve Bannon and Bill Barr are the same person and no one has ever seen them in the same room together.

How does he manage to keep the flies away when he's in Barr form?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Paolomania posted:

To make a longer reply: Eco and this thread go way back - 10 years, in fact - all the way to page 8 and this was in the context of rhetoric around Obama's re-election way before MAGA or Trump as a politician was even a thing (funny how that 10 year old counter-argument is a "demographics" case - LOL). And really this was not the first thread discussing right wing propaganda on SA so Eco talk around here goes back much further than that (see also: the Prester Jane authoritarian threads).

In the freep thread it goes back even further than that, if memory serves. At one point, a running joke was to periodically refer to the thread becoming an Eco chamber.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

je1 healthcare posted:

I feel like I read this same listicle when Obama and Bush were presidents.

Eco's original essay on Ur-fascism predates both.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Ubersandwich posted:

Benjamin Franklin

Accomplishments:

Invented MILFs: "All cats are grey in the dark..."

Sadly, Franklin didn't invent that concept; he was quoting an earlier 18th century horndog, Phillipe the Duc d'Orleans, regent to King Louis XV.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Meatball posted:

I don't remeber who said it but someone once said "I'm less concerned with the weight of Einstein's brain, when I know people of similar skill have died in fields and factories"

It was biologist Stephen Jay Gould, "I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dr Christmas posted:

This is some revisionism, somehow :argh:

The hellfire club he attended in London was also a copy of an earlier version inaugurated by the Duke of Wharton in the seventeen-teens.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

ah yes "gave electrcity" lol loving a billion dollar media company cant even skim wikipedia for a few seconds.

Why bother? They know their audience won't.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

Or Megyn Kelly getting mad at black Jesus for being "inaccurate" while insisting Jesus and St Nick were white men.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s still two years out and one thing I’ve always remembered about republicans is they always start annoiting an heir apparent two years before and every loving time that person self-destructs in some incredibly crazy way.

Somewhere in Wisconsin, Scott Walker very slowly attempts to blink both eyes at the same time, unsuccessfully.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Xand_Man posted:

I think DeSantis is screwed by being in the Executive branch of Florida while Trump's under investigation. He can throw as much chaff at the FBI as he wants but at the end of the day Trump's base wants someone who yells and makes people Do Something! just like their guy. Yeah DeSantis is in their corner but the fact he's 'letting' the investigation happen at all is proof he's :sad: and low-energy. Trump's base doesn't do nuance.

I think DeSantis has a very narrow chance of dodging this, but it requires Trump not getting angry and yelling about how Rotten Ron won't lift a "finger" to help against the worst WITCH HUNT IN ALL HUMAN HISTORY!!! on his fake twitter.

So, you know, probably no chance at all, barring Trump getting too distracted yelling at/about other things and/or falling into a months-long coma.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
Also this is hardly the first time one of them murdered family members; Last year a Qultist killed both his kids with a speargun because he thought they'd been poisoned by his wife's "serpent DNA" and would inevitably turn into monsters.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 13, 2022

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

Hannity told me he was scheduled to have DeSantis on today (I didn't catch it) but he made sure to say he that coming up on the show was "governor Ron DeSantis from the FREE state of Florida", I guess because none of the other states are free. Or something. Probably just the red states are "free" would be my guess.

I don't know why I'm bringing it up beyond how weird it was to shove the word "free" in there for no real reason. He may have well have said "joining me after the break is the freedom loving patriotic gun owning patriotic governor of Texas, Greg Abbott"

That's one I've been hearing/seeing for years, usually from 2nd Amendment fetishists who just can't shut the gently caress up about how they come from free states and those with any sort of firearm regulations aren't (sometimes going so far as to call them "occupied" states, 'cause that's sure not an anti-Semitic dogwhistle in its own right or anything).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

okay what.

I wanna say wire transfers still run on telegraph infrastructure?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

are wire transfers different from other bank transfers? not to mention all the new internet stuff from old school paypal (lol thats old now) to like dozens of fin tech apps.

god why is there so much competing stuff.

:capitalism:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are still scams doing that now but posing as like IRS officials or similar poo poo and convincing old people to wire them money. Or they pretend to be a family member by taking info off of public Facebook accounts and using that to convince them they are legitimate.

Also, during a mortgage closing or similar, to pose as the receiving party and email the buying fraudulent wiring instructions. We got a number of warnings about that when we bought our place, though thankfully no one made the attempt.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

litany of gulps posted:

Listen dog, I don’t get what a dude might mean when he says cat

Proper.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

Makes me wish for the old days of SA. We could goon rush his radio show, lie to the call screener and see how many "when is your waterboarding scheduled so we can show these libs?" questions we could get through the censors. Stern listeners used to do poo poo like this on occasion. It'd be funny just to see how many consecutive calls we could get him to drop before he stopped going to the phones and claim "technical difficulties" or that the Soros Antifa Brigade is paying BLM activists to phone in death threats

Wasn't that Hannity?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

Wasn't what Hannity? I was referring to how Sean volunteered to be water boarded and never did it and how I wish he'd get asked about it every day

Sorry, for the life of me I could have sworn you were posting about Tucker originally.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 7, 2022

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Putin wasnt as moustace-twirling evil on an international stage until the blatant Crimea power grab. Like, he made Russian culture poo poo with the anti-gay laws, state-media, and oligarchs, but aside from a little posturing and grandstanding things were pretty mellow.

Isn't he still doing the "I'm prime minister now... Now I'm president!" hat change every few years or did he go full Pooh.

He did that dodge once with his toady Medvedev briefly taking over as President while he as Prime Minister, then once he was constitutionally eligible to "run" for President again he did so, and forced through amendments that let him pretty much stay in that office perpetually.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

GoutPatrol posted:

Historically, we are moving back towards the way things "used to be."

Bertrand Russell, German Social Democracy, 1896

Switch "agriculture" to "finance" and it sounds the same to me.

I'd say that works just fine. The fading aristocracy* of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries generally owed their wealth to inherited estates, from which they drew rents from tenant farmers and the like; their modern equivalents get/stay rich by similar rent-seeking, and react in similarly vile ways when those mechanisms are threatened by democracy.

*excepting those smart enough to see which way the wind was blowing and move money into the rising capitalist enterprises which were soon to envelop them all.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Angry_Ed posted:

You're talking about the guy who, on camera, put a dildo up his rear end to "own the libs" and prove that he's not homophobic.

So yes, to him owning the libs is that important to him.

Didn't he also pour melted chocolate all over his junk at the same time, or am I thinking of some other bizarre online stunt by a brokebrain rightwinger?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Hunt11 posted:

There was the whole thing about tanning your taint but that might be something differently entirely.

Naw, this was a few years ago at least.

pentyne posted:

TheAmazingAtheist poured hot oil all over his junk during a livestream of some kind.

Ahhhh right, I remember now. Unfortunately.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

skylined! posted:

The Federalist giving quite a lot of page space to "we should abandon conservatism and become out and out fascists"

https://thefederalist.com/2022/10/20/we-need-to-stop-calling-ourselves-conservatives/

Gotta admit, of all the tells I was expecting, "restart the Lebensborn Program" was not in my top five (mainly as I was spoiled for choices, but still).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jesus III posted:

If it hadn't been for 9-11, I truly feel Republicans would have all the conservative muslims. They're natural bed fellows.

Prior to 9-11, they were indeed making considerable headway with Muslims/middle easterners despite the religious difference. Funny how a decades-long pseudocrusade marked by racial and religious animus will change things!

Scholtz posted:

Nope, sorry. Different language, weird food, and worst of all: too brown.

Believe it or not, pre-9-11 conservatives more often saw them as "one of the good: brown people, not the least as many middle easterners are fairly light-skinned (another mark of the deep sophistication that is conservative thought).

America before 9-11 was a really different place, having lived in both. :smith:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Panfilo posted:

Why?what did he do?

He flubbed a couple of softball interviews and generally comes across as a doughy loser rather than Alpha Man Hero. I think he said he supports BLM too, at one point.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

RWM really likes to drive the point home that essentially amounts to "poor people took all the money and sit on their asses all day buying lobsters with food stamps" when the reality is demonstrably the exact opposite and becoming more so every year.

Why do people beleive that poo poo?

It's protective. By believing that, they can avoid facing something they don't want to admit or even consciously acknowledge: late stage capitalism is ruining almost all of us and everything we were taught about work and the economy and how productivity leads to success is a load that capital uses to keep extracting value from our collective labor.

Or, as that one guy once said: The first and simplest stage in the discipline, which can be taught even to young children, is called, in Newspeak, CRIMESTOP. CRIMESTOP means the faculty of stopping short, as though by instinct, at the threshold of any dangerous thought. It includes the power of not grasping analogies, of failing to perceive logical errors, of misunderstanding the simplest arguments if they are inimical to Ingsoc, and of being bored or repelled by any train of thought which is capable of leading in a heretical direction. CRIMESTOP, in short, means protective stupidity.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't understand the second paragraph of that but, my god, in respone to the first one: they're loving LIVING IT and seeing it. And it's it really not as simple as a blanket "rich people all worked hard for their money" because I hear these same folks talk about how much money musicians, actors and ESPECIALLY pro athletes make, as if those people don't work hard or that they're not examples of capitalism. To say nothing of people like Trump and his ilk who were born on third base and they all cheer him for hitting a triple or how Mike Lindell is a business genius (maybe he is, actually).

It's from 1984. Orwell describes a powerful aspect of Newspeak being an indoctrinated principle called crimestop (as practicing it will prevent commission of thoughtcrime). The thing is that they learn to instinctively avoid seeing unpleasant/ideologically dangerous things and rationalizing excuses and justifications for the underlying ideology regardless of how blatant evidence to the contrary stares one in the face. In your instance, I think it entirely appropriate as any rational and sober reflection would lead one to conclude that, no, there aren't tons of lazy poors sponging off the welfare that totally still exists and wasn't gutted in the early 90s. Doing so, however, would require therefore one to continue on that thought line and arrive at the conclusion that what they and we were all taught from basically childhood, that capitalism is equitable, meritocracy exists, and hard work is always rewarded, was at best wrong and at worst a deliberate attempt to mask global-scale theft by the rich from literally everyone else.

Rather than inflict that identity crisis on themselves, they instead stop short. If the system isn't working for them, it can't be that it was never meant to, but rather some other, undeserving sorts have soaked up all the money.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Panfilo posted:

You also have other real life examples like the girl raped by some HS football players who pretty much got run out of town due to people worried that their team would suffer if the accusations were validated. Where were these anti pedo lynch mobs then?

Also: Matt Gaetz.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

You're correct. They want to decouple funding from private schools with vouchers so that them or their buddies can run some lovely charter/private school where they can not even bother to provide a basic education but you will still pay tons for it

And churches. A big part of their drive to ruin public education dovetails with their Dominionist bullshit about seizing the mountain of education back from "government schools" so they can indoctrinate the next generation of little Christian soldiers to purge the gays and fight the coming race war(s).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

I thought her gimmick was making GBS threads herself and blacking out?

She is a woman of many deeply repellent talents.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I assume it's something sort of like horror movies.
The point isn't that people like being scared and anxious, it's that they're already scared and anxious, but while watching a horror movie they can transfer those fears and anxieties onto the screen, and feel relief when the monster is defeated.

In the same way, a scared, angry and anxious conservative can listen to a ranting and raving radio host, and feel some emotional release by proxy.

A large part of it is also validation: hearing your worst prejudices confirmed and reinforced helps keep quiet that little introspective voice that, left unchecked, might lead to "wait, are we the baddies?" moments.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Absolutely. "teaching kids patriotic education" is communist China poo poo.

My mother-in-law fled Mao. She's terrified of the GOP because in her words "we're making the same mistakes china made".

Or any other authoritarian state, really. It's a staple of those regimes and as a college professor the possibility of having to deal with that poo poo as enforced policy is scary as hell.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

After The War posted:

Wasn't that one of those submarine lines famed for being deathtraps?

K-19 was a second gen* Soviet nuclear submarine (Hotel-class, if you want the NATO designation) that had what I will employ startling understatement to describe as significant teething issues.

*The November class were the first gen nuclear attack subs, the Hotels were ballistic missile subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

skylined! posted:

How it's always been. I worked at a pizza place in Clearwater for a few years and we had more New Englander customers than locals, in like 2004. The NE'ers with money retire in FL and vote republican.

Seconded. A good friend of mine's parents moved down from Massachusetts a few year ago into a gated retirement community and immediately tumbled down the Fox News rabbit hole.