Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Babylon Bee is supposed to be a conservative response to the Onion, but hyperbolic versions of conservative bullshit are indistinguishable from what they're already saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'll admit it, an idiot with unearned authority who died a totally preventable death because he ignored medical advice to impress an even bigger idiot with even more unearned authority is exactly the kind of person M*A*S*H mocked to the very end, so the the thumbnail is entirely appropriate.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Yeah, that's the thing that scares me about this one versus the previous panics: actual laws are getting passed, giving them an opportunity to actively weaponize that vagueness.

Does anyone know of a good roundup for all the anti-CRT laws? I tried the ACLU's page (lol), and the most recent thing they had was from mid-May.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I went on a bit of a V2 research kick after reading Gravity's Rainbow, and one of my favorite things about the operating manual (available in English, thanks Operation Paperclip!) is that it has to repeatedly warn the reader not to drink rocket fuel, with even a poem to make it memorable.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Zeroisanumber posted:

Part of the problem with the ME-262 was that the fuel was ridiculously volatile and corrosive. A lot of people were burned by the corrosive fuel, but at least one pilot died when the fuel tank ruptured and flooded the cockpit with corrosive fuel and dissolved him like an antacid tablet.

The V-2/A4 was fueled with ethyl alcohol, so it makes a little more sense that they were afraid grunts would partake.

The poem was something to the effect of "a soldier drank rocket fuel and went blind, and was so distraught he had some more to kill himself." Fun stuff!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The second-hardest I've laughed recently was when those things started showing up in my FB feed.

The hardest is when the ones from Koch Industries showed up.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
You's on first.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Broken Neck Chubby Flanders George Washington might be the funniest thing I see all day.

Do they think that, if they use anything other than an old painting, people won't recognize him?

EDIT - The drat thing looks like a knockoff Dead Kennedys album cover and I can't stop looking at it

After The War fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 26, 2021

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Sweet, I've been dying to add another cover to our repertoire.

EDIT - Guess I just outed myself as one of the Dead Kennedys knock-offs I joked about earlier. Well, someone's gotta do it.

After The War fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 27, 2021

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Epic High Five posted:

Critical Drinker should focus instead of the real crime of the LotR cinematic universe - Bombadil Barrow-wight erasure - and not spend so much time on being dumb and crazy

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
When we talked about Republican Ghouls...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Yeah, the entire Reagan era (and prior, tbf) was spent installing mini-Putins everywhere it seemed like the population of a country might have ideas different from the US over, say, resource extraction.

He's exactly the kind of oppressive corrupt mogul the CIA loved.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
IG Farmin'

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CuddleCryptid posted:

Oz really needs to get into politics, then he just needs to die of something he claims doesn't exist and we can have a second winner of the Herman Cain Award For Wasted Potential In Medicine.

Are you mixing up Herman Cain and Ben Carson, or are you counting his contributions to heart disease through lovely pizza as medicine?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Hey, that's not fair to Peterson... first he spent 15 years coasting on a single undergrad-level Jung repackaging.

His years as a bullshit artist prior to throwing transphobic tantrums must be acknowledged!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

ErIog posted:

I'll dig into the laws later, but I'm fairly certain it comes out of pre-Reagan cable laws from the 70's and 80's. We think of cable as a 90's thing, but it started pretty quick because of mountainous places like Colorado where there wasn't real proper terrestrial coverage.

Cable was initially a replacement for terrestrial coverage in places where it didn't make sense. I would be surprised if the 1996 law changed that substantially because by that point the racket was already in place.

I would imagine that a lot of it was the removal of terrestrial ownership restrictions, allowing big companies to exploit loopholes in new and exciting ways. But most of my knowledge of pre-Clinton telecommunications law comes from the excellent documentary UHF (W.A. Yankovic, 1989) and... some episodes of Mathnet or something, I dunno

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm so good at this, I got to start with Step 4. :smuggo:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
One ursine encounter might be enough, but it bears repeating...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I don't remember you living in a state with a Liquor Board...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It's the exact opposite of a short length video a video of extremely reasonable length (don't check the time code), but Some More news did an episode recently that's probably the best Peterson examination I've seen yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSNWkRw53Jo

Part of the reason it's so long reasonably lenghthed is that they tried to avoid doing short clips of him that people could say are taken out of context. It's not long chunks of Petersonian drivel, but they include the parts before and after whatever thing of his they'll be referring to.

Plus Some More News is extremely funny.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Pfff, look at these jokers. Everyone knows Muddy Waters invented electricity. :c00lbert:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'd imagine that YouTube made his kind of documentary redundant at a theatrical level, as well. Why settle for something produced a year earlier when you could get something with (about) the same production values made earlier that same week? A lot of what he did was based around the idea of talking about issues that weren't otherwise being discussed via a large platform.

EDIT - Streaming documentaries are probably a more apt comparison, albeit with a longer turnaround than YouTube.

After The War fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 9, 2022

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

BiggerBoat posted:

Then he said that Cruz will be isolated from gen pop (true) on death row and "will get to do whatever he wants to" while the families suffer. Pretty sure that's not true if I understand how death row works but OK.

Look, Suge Knight tried to run a tight ship, but with that many legendary egos on one label, it was never gonna happen.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

OgNar posted:

RNC mad because Google keeps sending their emails that beg for money to users spam folder.
So decided to sue them.
Google pretty much stating that its because users mark it as spam.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/republican-national-committee-sues-google-over-email-spam-filters-2022-10-22/

https://twitter.com/dannowicki/status/1583851613147365379

“Enough is enough – we are suing Google for their blatant bias against Republicans," said RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel in a statement to The Associated Press. “For ten months in a row, Google has sent crucial end-of-month Republican GOTV and fundraising emails to spam with zero explanation. We are committed to putting an end to this clear pattern of bias."

Google, in a statement, denied the charges. “As we have repeatedly said, we simply don’t filter emails based on political affiliation. Gmail’s spam filters reflect users’ actions," said spokesperson José Castañeda, adding that the company provides training and guidelines to campaigns and works to "maximize email deliverability while minimizing unwanted spam."

This is the funniest thing I've heard in ages. I work for a very very non-Republican nonprofit, and we get the same thing... because, no matter how much I try to get them to stop, my bosses insist on treating email like WWII propaganda flyers, to dropped by the millions without segmenting or specific direction. Or convince them that Google pays attention to what people open or not, and sending the same message over and over and over to people who aren't opening them is actually very bad and not some brilliant strategy.

:sigh:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

BONGHITZ posted:

he could do that? drat

Never doubt that anyone attached to Richard Nixon or his administration was a literal ghoul from a gross-out direct-to-video 80s horror movie.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

I AM GRANDO posted:

What the gently caress is K-20? I assume it’s like K-12 but includes college and grad school?

Wasn't that one of those submarine lines famed for being deathtraps?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Captain_Maclaine posted:

K-19 was a second gen* Soviet nuclear submarine (Hotel-class, if you want the NATO designation) that had what I will employ startling understatement to describe as significant teething issues.

*The November class were the first gen nuclear attack subs, the Hotels were ballistic missile subs.

Was actually thinking of these guys from much earlier:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_K-class_submarine?wprov=sfla1

A steam engine might be a better fit for a submarine than a screen door, but not by much. Of the 18 built, 6 sank... and none of them through enemy action.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Kellies Nomination: Best Edi.... aw, wrong thread

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'd assume it's just more "Great Replacement" poo poo, the people Gates wants to survive are all the non-whites in the places malaria is more of a problem. :shrug:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Lol, I was expecting that to be about Joe Shuster's post-Superman kink art that got dangerously close to the look of his most famous character at times

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I know this is coming from people who think the calendar stopped in 2008 (if not earlier), but if you're complaining about those lazy, good-for-nothing forty-somethings, you'd think they'd start to wonder if the system is functioning as intended... or at least how they think it's interested.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
"Late Stage" is something that can only describe good things, right? :ohdear:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The pre-Trump era is ancient history, they'll actively ignore anything if it means they can keep a celebrity in their ranks. Like how all GWB-era Republicans are RINO failures by default... if they're even acknowledged.

Now buy my book about how the Democrats are the REAL racists because of their slave-holding origins...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Panfilo posted:

Speaking of sustainability, seen this guy linked in a few places. It's a bit of a puzzler, because the guy says he's worked in the mining industry. So why would a guy, who spent four decades, be concern trolling about all the MINING you gotta do in order to produce "green energy" products? Shouldn't he consider this a GOOD thing for his field? :psyduck:
https://twitter.com/JohnLeePettim13/status/1622810848824631296?t=MCqUK3VBA1p0HsSGAUZWqA&s=19

Ten years on and this is all I can think of when I see that picture: https://youtu.be/aO0TUI9r-So

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Ah, you seem to be doing that across multiple threads for.... reasons, I assume.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Mantis42 posted:

They're anti war in that they want to fight internal enemies right now and anything else is a distraction.

It also ties in with the shift from Are Troops being the military (ultimately a federal institution, with all that entails) to local police (fundamentally above the law and free to ignore all other governmental power). You started to see this with Trump talking about Bush's wars in 2016, but it really kicked into high gear in 2020, giving us the Fash Blue Line flag and all that.

The Military is compromised by the woke, you see, with its diversity trainings and "tolerance." Right now, that's all because of Biden, but under Trump, it was in spite of him. Either way, they've been largely written off.

Cops (and, ideally, local Sheriffs) are much better at eliminating internal enemies in a satisfactorily gruesome way.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

William Bear posted:

Bishop Barron should have told Ben Shapiro the truth: only adults over 5'7" can be saved.

[shrugs diminutively and puts on "Highway to Hell"]

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

[shrugs diminutively and puts on "Lowway to Hell"

You better watch your shins, buddy!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It's just like how forcing kids to pledge their allegiance every morning and teaching that the US is a perfect nation founded by infallible gods and exempt from the standards it holds the rest of the world to isn't "indoctrination." "Indoctrination" is apparently not doing those things. :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Right Wing Media: The Wind Tells Me I'm A Ghost, But I Don't Believe It

EDIT - or the "internal decapitation" one, so many good thread titles in there!