Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
HumidResearcher goes from 'okay normal name' to '...oh GOD' when you start thinking about if that's in any way related to courtesy peeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

BootsRaingear posted:

This will do very little to change our update schedule.

When's the next Fat Voice Review?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

T-man posted:

Now I want an episode reading some marketing forum for douchebags.

There's totally a website somewhere of people with actual products that just try to get people to advertise it for them or something, right? Like, just incompetent ad copy open for anyone to read?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Waffleman_ posted:

I thought we were going to have fun with dorks who take their fictional country roleplay too seriously.

THIS WASN'T FUN!

I mentioned on Ballpit, but I think the shitbags and godmode idiots drove those people off. You can't really play an overserious country (or a fun joke nation, or even a well-considered society) for long alongside these people.

And yet there isn't really anywhere to go for those people, because Nationstates is the only thing that gives you that sort of role while not being rules-heavy enough that you have to play prescriptive to particular real-world city/country development styles. And you never have the ability to roleplay in those anyway.

Which is a shame, I'd probably enjoy a game that facilitated those somehow.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

It didn't take off as well as drat.dog because I guess they liked Google Feud more, but the Yogscast played it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y4LWau8kGQ

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Lemon's secretly a member of the X-Men, with the power to get the best domain names.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
The thing that really brings that reading over the line into hilarious is the multiple slow waves of realization and shock from the audience. It's a loving journey from the first few people realizing where it was going, right up until the actual reveal of the name to remove all doubt that yes, we ARE going there.

It's a reading that only could have worked live, and it's a stunner.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
You know, just a few days ago I was still thinking that a Freep document would be a really great thing to put together.

I miss that time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Benny the Snake posted:

Given current events, maybe a Freep doc would be too soon :sigh:

Freep was at their funniest when they were just oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg in forum form. Just loud, angry, useless old people scared of a world leaving them behind and utterly unable to respond to that in a way that isn't just being louder, angrier and more useless.

Freep is at their worst when they're winning.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Don't worry, everyone. I've got a plan to get us all out of this mess.

Let me worry about the specifics, all I need is a few rolls of cling wrap, and confirmation on whether or not Roy Orbison is dead. I can handle the rest from there.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Lemon/Toast 2020.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I think your Harry Potter house, when also factoring in how serious you are about it, does say a lot more. Because someone who got Ravenclaw but doesn't give a poo poo tells you a fair bit, as does someone who REALLY loving LOVES BEING SLYTHERIN.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I liked the one where he went through and figured out which Link would win in a fight. That was the first one I actually saw, and I liked it well enough.

Soon after I found the video where he tried to determine which female Nintendo characters had fake breasts, and I was out again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

He actually matured, which is so weird given he was 33 when he posted that first one.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
One of the characters I've seen around FFXIV is a cyber-prostitute with financial domination in her F-List profile (I saw the link, I had to check). She also has actual rates beyond that, though.

At that point it's just tipping, right?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
It just struck me. These guys are basically trying to reverse-engineer eating and nutrition without any actual expertise, and are baffled when they face evidence that it's not working. They've produced flavorless slurry that they're convinced is ideal because it checks all the boxes that they, as people with no knowledge of the subject, declared to be the important parts.

They're Tropers.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
In fairness, that one was pretty easy, Einstein was a huge part of that episode. It's like how I'd struggle to name any part of the NationStates episode that wasn't Huswyae.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Which was the recent one where they started calling each other Steve at the end?

Paranormal Stupidity, #189!

That took me a few seconds, because there's a couple suspects, but then I just remembered it had Chris Collision in it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Also Lemon got a new website idea.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
As an Australian trans person, gently caress this episode and gently caress these people.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I actually kind of like that we got weirdly fundamentalist-conservative in the satanist site. It's unexpected. You just expect either plain old edginess and teenagers, and then you get slapped with THAT.

Plus we haven't really had an episode about conservative nutjobs for a very long time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

A Meat posted:

I personally fell off the IDEOTV truck because I was getting maybe 1 in 8 music references they were making, and they were making a lot of them. Also a bit too smug about music for me, but I get where J comes from on that, what with music being his profession

I had a similar feeling, although I got back on later out of boredom at work. If they're talking about a book by someone who's a celebrity in a field you don't know, then you suddenly won't get pretty much all of the episode. The only exceptions to this I've heard so far are the book by Morrissey (I don't even know a single note by the Smiths but that episode was hilarious), and the one with Lemon about Corey Taylor's book.

I think I side with them about being touchy on approaching certain subjects, though, ar least in theory. They're talking about books that are often known in part for their unhealthy politics, or are presented in such a way that those politics would be impossible to ignore. It's something they have to address at some point when talking about it, and that requires them, as non-lovely human beings, to address it in a way more sensitive way than the book does. I think they best handled it when talking about Hammer of the Gods (the Led Zeppelin 'tell-all'), when they addressed it existing and then didn't talk about it, in large part because the book was terrible in tons of other ways that were more worthwhile to dig into than that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

jimmyfranks posted:

I wanted some hosed up box art. Atari and Choose your Own Adventure books had the best weird bait-and-switch cover art. One of my greatest disappointments as a wee lad was seeing this box art

And getting this when I fired up the cartridge

That inspired me to look up the best bait-and-switch I heard somebody else talking about at some point. I think it was MyNameIsKaz, probably during preparation for a D&D session that was the main focus of a podcast.

Now apparently, the actual book is very 'native American vision quest'. and it starts with a personality test of sorts to decide what your spirit animal that you turn into is, one of which is a shark. That's fine, but 'You Are A Shark' is such a direct and amazing title that it should be describing an entire book.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
So Lemon's got some interludes in the latest IDEOTV episode. The second part of their review of Violent J's lovely-rear end memoir.

Lemon didn't read the book, he just knows a ton of hilarious poo poo about ICP.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I would absolutely listen to a podcast that was about delving through obsessively detailed wikia nonsense about media the hosts knew nothing about.

I love this idea, but I think to keep it on track or even slightly grounded they should always have somebody relatively well-versed in that media there too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

pulp rag posted:

Have me on for the Jojo episode where I keep going "You guys are so close to being spot on," which was my reaction to Griffin McElroy's explanation of what he thought Jojo was.

"Is [stupid thing] a Stand?" Yes. Almost always yes.

Speaking of, Coolgames Inc's episodes with guests are, maybe, how it should work? The regular hosts spend most of the episode trying to piece together what this show, game, movie or whatever is about from only the Wikia, then they report back to an expert and see how close they were.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
The F-List is one of my favorite dumb websites on the internet in general, and it makes for great episodes.

I'm not ashamed to say that one of my favorite things about playing FFXIV on the RP server is that people use F-List a lot, because there's essentially no space for bios. Which means that every time I go through the main RP hub I can click around at random and find like, three links to it in a minute.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Also I think there's more than one LGBT person on the podcast.

I don't really like this topic either, but it's probably less painfully trodden, so: I'm not super sure on this one. I'm not keeping track, but I think the only person on the podcast who's said they're anything but straight is Acier, who's 'on the bell curve' of the Kinsey scale. Widening the net to include guests and ancillaries both Amelia Blank and I are trans, but the core group doesn't have much. Of course, it doesn't exactly come up or matter.

...Well, except Portaxx, who as you all recall 'has [...] a clown fetish' and '[...] is [...] a furry'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Youth Decay posted:

Ok the subject matter is hilarious but I gotta say, whoever the high-pitched whiney voiced person is has really brought down every episode they've been on. Idk if it's the voice or the fact that they are constantly interjecting and laughing at themselves but they're hard to listen to.

Quick checking says that's Lesbiathan, who might win the award for sounding the least like their screenname implies.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

jimmyfranks posted:

If it makes you feel better, we skeeved a wedding party out enough that they left.

The only news that would have been better than that would have been if they didn't.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
All I carried back from listening to Kumquatzop's reading was that, somehow, it was considerably less batshit insane than the Doctor Who story with the same concept. In 2015.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm not sure what "In 2015" is supposed to mean. Kumquat's Usenet post is from 1988.

Also, I looked up that Doctor Who episode (which apparently aired in 2014), and I'm not entirely sure whether or not "The Moon is actually an alien egg" is necessarily crazier than "We HAVE to BLOW UP THE MOON because it's STUPID and LOOKS BORING."

Right, 2014, my bad. And that episode did involve bringing all of the Earth's nuclear arsenal to the moon, to BLOW IT UP (because there's a thing living in it and it's making poo poo go weird). So yeah, of both stories I know of involving detonating every nuclear weapon from Earth on the moon, this one's saner because at leas it's up-front and simple about just loving hating the moon.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

EmmyOk posted:

what's the cold open that's super long for a really lame joke but boots ends up crying laughing

Listened to ball smashers again and it's so loving funny.

"be careful attaching fastening the ring to your penis you don't want to hurt yourself"

That could be like, half of them, but the first episode that came to mind was the bumper for Film Proposals, which was him taking a really long road to a trio of really lame animal-based pun movie titles.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Jack Chick is the one that sounds like an anime even when he's not trying.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

RyokoTK posted:

Nothing in F Plus is going to compare to me trying to distinguish Justin McElroy from Travis McElroy, a feat that took me like 200 episodes to figure out.

That one didn't take me long, in part because I only started listening to MBMBAM after seeing the first episode of their show, so I had visual reference. Usually that doesn't help, but once you see him you realize that Travis just sounds like he has a beard.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

theironjef posted:

Ah crap, did they do it too? Was it a long enough time ago that I internalized it entirely?

Actually, that joke's in their latest episode. But one of those guys is a big F Plus fan, so if you've heard it before they probably have too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I actually know that it has a lot of secret boards. I've been told that it's a thing for people to commandeer the boards for obscure and mediocre games that don't get a lot of discussion and use them as under-the-radar hangouts.

I remember that there was a suspicion that Great Courts 2, a tennis game that became the Homestar Runner secret board, didn't actually exist and was created specifically for those guys. I just looked it up and it is indeed a game, but back in those days it wasn't easy to find that out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

rumble in the bunghole posted:

there's at least a majority, it's crazy

I should try to get in on that, tip the scales even harder.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I liked the first half. It's not just a look at the rules of a dumb sex game, it's the rules of a really badly designed dumb sex game. They're overly bloated, poorly explained, full of conflicting terms, and even under all of that just aren't very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

I want you to know that this isn't personal, but I do hate you.

Sincerely, a Symmetra main.