Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve listened to like twenty hours of this podcast this week while working night shifts and it’s the only thing keeping me sane after this dumpster fire of a week. If the dozerfleet and tvtropes episodes are my favorites, which ones are the best along those lines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks man! The ones in your list that I’ve already heard are some favorites so I have high hopes for the ones I’ll be checking out for the first time. That audiophile episode was amazing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Episodes 114-116 are a fantastic block of hilarious and horrible things related to TV Tropes and Dozerfleet (incels love-shys, whiny teenagers, NaAnoWriMo). 117 is also good if your favorite thing about Dozerfleet was his overpowering creepiness.

I saw overpowering creepiness, started ep 117, and in twenty minutes I’ve said “Oh, noooo” out loud twice.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antivehicular posted:

I didn't remember which episode 117 was, but I called it even before I checked the site.

MOOOOTHERRRRR

So much weird mom stuff in that episode. It was amazing and horrifying in equal measure.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

T-man posted:

I wanna read the tv tropes page for the tv tropes episode

The TVtropes page was almost certainly just made by a few f-plus fans, unfortunately. Nothing good on there. I checked a few weeks ago when I first listened to the tropertales episodes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

That Old Tree posted:

I'm not exactly an expert but didn't TVTropes admin change hands a few years ago, and started trying to be more "respectable" and objective, thus transforming from a pathetic joke to just pathetic? Seems like they've tried to bury the STDH.

Yeah, the troper tales got axed, which was sad because they were an unending source of things to internet safari.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Midjack posted:

On the other hand they were the same poo poo tier teenager posts you cans find on just about any bulletin board or forum on the internet, so nothing of value was lost. I’m not even going to check but I’m sure someone started a Troper Tales off-site so you can get your fix that way if you’re really jonesing.

I feel like TVTropes demographics made for an environment with some primo poo poo that didn’t happen.txt type stuff. Was it all “that kid is inhuman” level? No. But were the gems fantastic? Oh hell yes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Lemon mentioned on ball pit that news about F Plus Live will be drooping soon. Anyone been to one of those? I think I’m gonna go this year, it looks fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

T-man posted:

Can't wait for the cock and ball torture furry lactation gentrification to come around

Also TBF I think biohacking attracts trans people for pretty obviously being a desire for many of us. Plus we're disproportionately computer touchers, nerds, or otherwise into technology. Nobody knows you're a dog on the internet after all. And like usual people who don't actually have that identity are trying to strip out the parts of the culture that feel uncomfortable. See: drag going from QTPOC quasi-protests to white girl yassing circles.

Are you trying to say that being trans is a requirement to being a biohacker? Because that’s what it kinda reads like.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Where are you getting that? It's just an elaboration of sexpig's post with a hypothesis on why that identity is associated with biohacking in the first place.

The last two sentences about stripping the identity out of cultures and drag stuff being taken over by yasss types. It’s probably all just the lack of inflection that happens over text, T-man is a usually a good poster so I just wanted to get their intent right since the way I read it was... yeah.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yep, I totally misread it. My bad!

Driya posted:

I'm pretty sure they're saying that it shouldn't surprise anyone that some trans people would be attracted to a community interested in body modification.

You're already dealing with dysphoria over your body, might as well slap some LEDs on that fucker.

And I get the whole trans and cyberpunk thing. Like the Matrix makes way more sense now that the Wachowskis are out. Just been on some really hostile online communities and that colored my reading of the post. I’m sorry!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Penultimatum posted:

Bio-hackers are kind of fascinating to me because they’re essentially early adopters for cybernetics except with the major caveat that cybernetics don’t actually exist yet
So it ends up being a super intense form of LARPing where you jam bits of metal in your body so you can pretend to be a cyborg
Like, the community existing would make sense if we actually had technology worth jamming into your body, but we don’t, and these people do it anyway

But, ear pockets!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stroop There It Is posted:

Do y'all have any recommendations for episodes to introduce someone to the podcast? I have a friend who is interested but I'm not sure which ones to start them on.

Roy Orbison Wrapped in Clingfilm. The TVtropes ones. Dozerfleet 1 and 2. High quality material but none of it is so gross it’ll turn away a new listener.

Who else is going to F Plus Live in January? It’s in Portland on 1/18.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Crocoswine posted:

any of the ones about yelling angrily into the void

I just listened to “It is always cold in Chili’s” again on my drive home this afternoon and gotta second this. We Wuv Wawa is similarly amazing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Waffleman_ posted:

Actually, has there been a food kink episode yet?

There’s been feeder stuff but I don’t think anything where it takes a trip up ol’ thermometer lane.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just had the City of Heroes episode on and it had a guest reader and I was like “Cleretic, why do I know that handle?” For like fifteen minutes before I realized he’s a goon.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

T-man posted:

I mean, Terrible Things Read with Enthusiasm is the unofficial motto of SA. We're basically a slightly less dead PoE.

e: my post history will provide at least three docs worth of content

Oh, for sure, though SA has definitely moved away from the crazy offsite stuff in the last five years or so. Which is kind of bittersweet, I like the new board culture but also crazy offsite stuff like the Foundation for Awakening and Enlightenment on the weekend web is what got me hooked. Hell, the Dollfucker saga is what got me lurking all the time. There was some good poo poo back then.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Cleretic isn't a he, although I'm pretty sure that I only know that from Ballp.it.

My bad, I have a habit of referring to goons as “he” because we’re all stereotypical super nerds in my mind’s eye.

The recorded the oldest doc in the hopper! It’s gonna be a fetlife episode and I cannot wait. The doc was submitted 6 and a half years ago, if anyone was wondering how old.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just in case anyone here is looking at going to F Plus Live and doesn’t have a BALLLLPIT account, I’m going to be setting up a bowling alley/karaoke room/whatever rental the day after the event, let me know if you’re interested. I’m going to toss in a couple hundo to keep the per-person cost down for people, and if the rates are too high just PM me and I’ll work something out for you.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

change my name posted:

I bet these guys also gently caress stuffed animals

Definitely an overlap in the middle of the Venn diagram that just reads “MOMMY ISSUES”

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antivehicular posted:

Is there an episode tag that's just "MOTHERRRR" yet? Because there should be.

These guys, plushfuckers, dozerfleet probably, who else?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ambious posted:

The dude from AITA who complained his MOTHER didn't breastfeed him.

Welp, I know what episode I’m listening to next now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Waffleman_ posted:

This episode hurts because I....was kind of a NEET for a couple years after I failed out of college. But then I feel better because I went back and have a job and a degree and an apartment and a car and a cat.

I’ve had my periods of depressed unemployment and I could see how someone falls into that lifestyle. The pride these people take in being that way, though, it’s insane. That’s where I lose my sympathy for them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean hell, around this time last year I had a few months of unemployment. Played a lotta FFXIV between job applications.

I’ve had a pair of stretches that almost hit a year. Not having a job is kind of fun at first but I don’t get how people like the 10 year guy don’t go insane.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just clicked into a thread for NEETs dependent on their parents and holy hell a lot of them are planning on punching their own ticket when their parents die.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stickfigure posted:

Sheeeeit I wish someone could bankroll me staying home wallowing in my own filth and watching media. Those dudes got it all figured out
I own a business that basically runs itself at this point, so I could do that, but, I dunno man, putting on pants and doing poo poo does wonders for your mental health. I volunteer 36 hours a week because I know how doing nothing all the time goes for me from the last two times I lost my job. Time off is great but there’s definitely a “too much of a good thing” going on after a while.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

a dozen swans posted:

Work gives people human dignity, dog

Kurt Vonnegut said “Poverty is a relatively mild disease for even a very flimsy American soul, but uselessness will kill strong and weak souls alike, and kill every time.” and I’ve found myself agreeing with it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I finally listened to the sissykiss episode.

That was nauseating.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arrhythmia posted:

It's the only fplus episode that's made me retch

I have a really strong stomach and the bit about the sippy cup of spit and piss really got me.

I’ve been an EMT for five years, I’ve seen some poo poo, I’ve had some gross bodily substance combinations launched into my eyes, but that was just a bridge too far.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ambious posted:

Oh no :-(
Is there any way we can help? Show our appreciation and support somehow?

I’d chip in for a “help out montrith” fund. The F Plus got me through a helluva week last month and her docs were a big part of that, and I’d love to pay it back.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
F Plus Live tickets are up for sale, I bought mine. Anyone else going?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antivehicular posted:

Just bought tickets for myself and my fiance, who is not a listener but I guess is going to have a baptism of fire.

I thought about buying a ticket for a plus one but was like like “nope, that realationship will not survive that”

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Crocoswine posted:

there's a dark side to the elevator fandom and I WILL find it

You know there’s some people out there really into CCTV video of elevator accidents.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve posted about it on ballpit but I figured I’d mention it here- for anyone who’s going to F Plus Live, there’s a couple of us staying at the same hotel for carpooling purposes and I reserved a suite for pregaming before the show and the afterparty. PM me for deets if you want to get in on it.

Any idea when the fetlife episode is going up? I feel like they recorded it a month ago or so, I can’t wait for that one to drop. It should be a doozy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
That was a fantastic episode. If it wasn’t so long it’d be the episode I use to introduce people to the podcast, but as it is it’s definitely made the starter list.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Never listened to Extra Credit before, that was good! What are some good episodes to check out to get started?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Despite my love of the F Plus, one thing I prefer about Extra Credits is that, as a more women-led podcast, they are much more willing to acknowledge that women can be just as crazy, weird, and fetishy as men. It isn't as big a problem now, but for years I would always get frustrated when the F Plus was reading something clearly written by a woman, but they always talked about how it was some crazy neck beard, only to be surprised when they came across confirmation that the person was, in fact, a woman.

That’s pretty widespread all through the internet. The r/relationships thread (where like half the regulars are women) has tons of people assuming the writer of the post is a man, and those posts usually clearly identify everyone’s genders in the title. I think it’s an age thing, the older the crowd the more likely you are to think everyone on a message board is a man just because of how it was back in the day.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tulalip Tulips posted:

. I just finished the mpreg episode and like the Fplus one I got all nostalgic for my early internet days, when I could still be horrified by things like that. Actually the mpreg episodes are a great example of women being into weird gross sex things imo.

I miss that too. The other day at work someone was talking about some weird internet poo poo they stumbled on (Sex dolls, I think) and that kind of thing doesn’t even make my gross poo poo meter twitch anymore. This dudes mind was completely blown, though. Reminded me of when I stumbled on the dollfucker thread when I started lurking here and how crazy that seemed at the time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Djeser posted:

and it used to bring me such joy :sigh:

Somebody in the SA Sagas PYF thread got goatse’d a week or two ago and it was a delight. I never thought I would see that happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Why did I go to the doc and click links? I should not have done that.