Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

quote:

Mega EverDrive

How the hell did I not know this existed?!! Now I can (try to) sell the rest of my Genesis/32X games without being worried about never playing them again.

I'll be using it on a JVC X'EYE. Any compatibility problems with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Awesomonster posted:

I'm not sure what Dungeon Hack originally came with, but all that was in it were the floppies and the (hefty!) manual inside what seemed like an original envelope.

I also picked up a boxed Dungeon Hack for sale at a Half-Price Books for around $5. All you're missing is a Business Reply card and 2 SSI catalogs (Winter 93 & Summer 94).

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Vrikkian posted:

Hm, guess I could do SA Mart. Never touched it officially, but it seems harmless enough. The lack of a proper feedback system worries me a bit though.

I've sold a bunch and never had a problem. Here's the best option for feedback: http://www.goonreviews.com/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Overbite posted:

So I decided that I wanted to have my closet back so I could put clothes in it. The problem was that half of it was stuffed floor to ceiling with old pc game boxes.

:siren: GORE POST AHEAD :siren:

This is a small pile of them.

This is an even smaller pile.

Not sure what to do with these boxes.

I took all the papers and cds and stuff out and just put them in smaller boxes. Most of these pc games came in comically oversized boxes with just a cd sleeve in it and I don't know why.

Kind of felt bad to ruin all those perfectly good boxes but I could really use the room.

Uhhhh this is kinda my expertise and I'll tell you that if you take the time to clean them up, make sure everything is included and price them out fairly, you could make at least a couple hundred dollars.

Just a few examples:
http://www.amazon.com/MegaMan-Legends-Pc/dp/B0000524QJ
http://www.amazon.com/System-Shock-2-Pc/dp/B00000K4AX
http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Trilogy/dp/B000FX56Y2

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

The Milkman posted:

Do people actually pay those prices? Fairly certain I still have Megaman Legends and a bunch of other 1998-2002ish PC stuff still CIB back home.

If they're in perfect condition, yeah. You have to agree to ship international though. A lot of the higher priced PC games in my collection have gone to Germany, Iceland, Finland, etc...

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Even as a kid, I couldn't get anywhere NEAR finishing Zelda 1. It felt so cryptic and obtuse that I had no idea what to do, where to go, or even what the gently caress the items were supposed to be (or used on). Everytime I tried to give it a chance, I always got permastuck in a dungeon with no bombs left or whatever. Zelda 2 was also horrible but I think I made more progress on it than I did the first.

I was used to DOS games like King's Quest and whatever else so at least you would get feedback on what you typed and extrapolate clues through detailed observation. Zelda seemed more like a mashed together jigsaw puzzle with mis-matched parts and I hated it.

Phantom Hourglass supremacy

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Why is the tank shooting a different vegetable (fruit?) :iiam:

You are a goddamned crazy person... keep on shining.

I played it on a laptop. The sequel with the train seems pretty bad though.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Speaking of which, I plan on building an emulation box in the somewhat near/middling future. NES, SNES, SMS, SG, SCD, S32X...any other good systems to add? I'd lump in N64 but the only controllers I plan on buying are 2 of these when the price drops again: http://www.madcatz.com/sfxtekken/fightpads.html

Plan on it being a Win7 box that can double as a decent desktop using a TV (HDMI) as display output. How much is too much in terms of hardware? It's not for me and she won't be playing new games on it but if I'm going to build it, I might as well make it last. Need help figuring out where the overkill point is though.

EDIT: Also planning on using it to stream movies from the HD. Nice quality but not BlueRay. Don't want it to stutter.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

These are all awesome suggestions, thank you! I'm an AMD diehard but the Intel processors just look like they handle emulation a lot better. I'll probably skip PS2/Dreamcast, but Gamecube could be fun and it feels pretty lightweight in Dolphin (at least from my experience).

I'll build myself a TRUE Universal Console down the line, but this one's more for old console games, movies/tv and web browsing (with potential to upgrade waaay down the line). My personal comp is able to handle everything I can throw at it so I'm in no hurry for an upgrade.

Okay so what I'll need to fit:
Intel compatible mobo with plentiful USB ports (5-6 minimum)
Intel processor (i3 looks good unless I find a deal on something better)
Nvidia DDR5 1GB card (not going with ATI)
Huge HD or two
Simple DVD drive
PSU

Is there a smaller yet cool (temperature) case that will fit everything comfortably or should I just go with the old Antec 300 standby? Don't care about looks but a smaller profile would be nice.

Thanks for all the help!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

You should check out the "hyperspin project" to see a great emulator/rom set up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47GPyX80Pk8

Not sure how small you can make your machine to run EVERYTHING, but you can add/remove whichever systems you want to from hyperspin.

Holy poo poo, this would be :frogsiren: PERFECT!!! :frogsiren:

That loving Sned posted:

You know what was Hitler's favourite Zelda game? You guessed it! Actually it was Spirit Tracks.

You know, if you told me there's a sequel to Wind Waker, I'd be ecstatic until I realised you were talking about one of those two.

Granted, it's probably a lot less annoying using a mouse.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Technowrite posted:

I'd be super selective in what consoles to choose from. As previous posters said, there's not a lot of helpful documentation out there in getting HyperSpin to work just like this video. It seriously took me almost two months to get my HyperSpin system working exactly like I wanted. It probably didn't help that I went whole hog and downloaded ROMs for the NES, Super NES, Genesis, Master System, Sega CD, Sega 32x, MAME, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, and Atari 7800.

Managing all the media for that (box art, clips of each individual game, and wheel art) is maddening. Hell, I suggest buying a separate hard drive just to toss all that stuff on to.

Please tell me there's a torrent or something for at least the one's bolded. Not the roms obviously but I want to make this as simple as possible and have zero idea where to even start.

Does Hyperspin include the emulators or have "suggested" ones or what? I remember using ZSNES long ago but how would that even work correctly?

I'm lost.

vvvvvv EDIT: How much? I don't mind donating something reasonable for all the work that must've went into it. vvvvvvvv

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 4, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Hmmm that's actually kind of a lot of money for something that sounds like a mess. Maybe I'll look into pretty frontends for each emulator and just do it individually.

Thanks a ton for the info!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Agrias120 posted:

The Ultima collection (1-9 and Underworld 1+2) is on sale for about 6 more hours on GOG.com. I've only ever played Ultima 9 and Ultima 3: Exodus on NES (I know, I know)--how do they stand up today? For $8.50 I figure I can't go wrong, but I might skip on getting 1-3 (and 4-6) if they're only really worth it for novelty.

Ultima Underworld II is my favorite RPG of all time, so yeah, I'd say it's worth it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Is 8ms response time on an LCD TV too much/noticable for an emulation comp? This is the one I picked up already during black friday sale: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00856XDPK

Picture quality's great but I wasn't thinking of emulation on it at the time. SMB, Sonic, Zelda, etc...nothing too crazy.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Keyboard Kid posted:

No, it's not really noticeable (that's about half a frame if I'm not mistaken). Using USB or anything similar will introduce significantly more lag. But if you're doing this for emulation and worried about response time, why not use a CRT?

4 HDMI port support for a bunch of devices (Roku, nice DVD player/upscaler, future emulation box, etc...). It's not for me; I'm just wondering if she'll notice a large disconnect between pressing a button and Mario actually jumping.

If it was for me, I'd probably go with something like 2ms or less but I have no interest in a TV at the moment and my monitor works just fine. Plan on connecting her future emubox's GFX card to the RCA TV through HDMI, then a couple USB gamepads with whatever emulator I decide on for each system (possible Hyperspin setup if I want to tear my hair out).

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Yechezkel posted:

Some guy sent a girl some games. By some games, I mean a ridiculously pristine collection of Sega Saturn games and hardware.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CAX08qgUVA It just keeps going. :psyduck:

This bugs me and I think it's because 1. it doesn't really sound like she knows what most of it even is (other than a couple that probably set off her $$$-siren) and 2. she doesn't seem very excited about it.

Maybe she was just (rightfully) creeped out by the whole thing and it rubbed off in the video. I'm definitely jealous though.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

Saw something at Half Price Books I couldn't pass on today during lunch. A boxed copy of System Shock 2 in fantastic condition.

It's got a really crazy cover, some kind of reflective, shiny plastic with sparkles in it.

Yeah, the cover rules (as does the game). Really pisses me off though that any Half-Price Books I stop in now always seems to have hired "that guy" that looks up current Amazon prices for everything.

JUST LET ME DIG FOR CLEARANCE BIN TREASURE, OKAY?!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Can you guys help me identify what this is supposed to attach onto?

There's no company name or number or anything on it, and I know it never fit right on my Game Gear or Nomad. Got it from a neighbor kid like 20 years ago and it's just moved with all my other stuff since.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

PopeCrunch posted:

Bet you a nickel it's for a Game Gear, it has a screw-in bit on the back for addons and whatnot.

Huh. Seeing as how the only handheld I had as a kid WAS a Game Gear, I remember trying to put it on and it just didn't fit right.

Well, my Game Gear's been sold since so I can't retest but if anyone wants this mystery magnifier, let me know (Ten bucks?)

EDIT: Holy crap I was an idiot kid. Just looked at a back picture of a Game Gear. Lil' dumb JoeMan was definitely trying to fit it on over the top somehow, not the bottom :wtc:

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 19, 2013

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

I remember playing through Winback on an N64 emulator and it seemed surprisingly decent.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I believe this setting just adjusts the voltage going to the screens, though I am not sure why Nintendo never seems to have them adjusted perfectly; though I suppose my launch Japanese-made GBA was just luck. It really has to be within a fraction of a hair to be in the perfect spot for it to go away. Enjoy!

Dude, those adjusters are on the back of every SNES console too (source of the middle white line problem).

Didn't you know?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I reject your Sega CDX. The JVC X'Eye supremacy forever.

Wisdom.

I've been recently debating selling my mint/complete unit to a good home since when I get set up again, I'll probably go full emulation anyways (since thanks to this thread, I now know everything will look like poo poo unless I buy an XRGB Mini).

It's really the only thing I still want to keep though. Lotta good memories. I'm so confused!!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

JJJJJS posted:

I have a serious question. Since we're all retro goons and most of us have been to a few retro game stores, I figure this might be the best place to ask. What do you want to see in a primarily retro game store? What sort of things do you like or dislike?

The short story here is that I and a couple guys are starting a store (and website) in Portland, OR. this year. I'll have my reproductions there as well as offering repairs on just about everything. We've got a good amount of stock built up since we've been working on this project for about a year so fortunately getting stock isn't an issue.

With any luck I'll finally be able to reclaim some space in the house which is being taken up with random game/repro stuff.

Quality controllers for a decent price.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Saw folks mentioning wanting a 3D0 and on a whim I checked local Craigslist: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/vgm/3524860526.html

I don't have the money to buy it (since no one will buy MY stuff) but maybe one of you guys can convince him to ship it to you. Looks like an awesome deal.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

I know there's a ridiculous trailer for it (dude talking to the console in his weird futuristic living room) on the Dragon's Lair 20th Anniversary box set but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

I made this within a couple days for a gameshow me & a buddy failed to get on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaATr3naiWk

How'd I do, retro goons?

• Locked thread