Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

i like Ham posted:

Holy poo poo you just made my day. With how much I'm on the road the only time I ever get to scan receipts is the once or twice a month I'm in the office. This obviously occasionally makes the guys who process expenses pretty mad from time to time. I've been looking for a solid compact scanner at a reasonable price for over a year and have not found one.

My employer doesn't have any problem with iPhone photographed receipts. Before we switched to Harvest (time tracking and expensing web app which has an iPhone app that lets me scan and file an expense in about sixty seconds), I used TurboScan to "scan" right into my inbox.

I have one of those "Neat Receipts" scanners gathering dust too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I need to do a Star Alliance mileage run soon and I'm finding it amusing how alien the concept is to people I know who don't fly a lot.

I'm visiting friends in Seattle the weekend after Thanksgiving partly so I can get the 3500 MQMs I need to be DL Silver again next year, since AA has pissed me off with delays the last couple trips.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lyon posted:

In a similar vein, what are everyone else's engagements like? Are you typically going to the same client for several months at a time or always somewhere different for sales meetings? Are you guys primarily working with external customers/clients or traveling for internal meetings/reasons?

When I was travelling quite a bit towards the beginning of the year, it was for an external customer's public developer relations stuff; as of today they've been my customer for about fourteen months, and I can't see this changing any time soon.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Thoguh posted:

For an extra $50-$100 on the expense report I have a much better experience and they get a much happier and more productive employee. Plus one who is willing to travel much more often than I would if they were assholes about expenses.

I'm lucky that my employer feels the same way: happier employees mean happier customers, and happy customers re-up on their contracts.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Seattle pretty much is awesome and Seatac is a good airport. :)
Yeah, although they didn't have the TSA Pre-check line open on Sunday night.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

I'll never understand the logic of more segments, travel time and distance = happier employee. I usually think what makes a happier employee is bottom line compensation for dealing with the lovely parts of their job but hey, different strokes. I guess some people value their T&E budget more than I do. I'd rather be at home in my bed being paid more. That's just me though.

If I'm going to be traveling anyways, I want to be in a tier that is materially better than the default scrub tier. At the end of the day, money is just a number on my bank's website, and sitting up front or renting a G37 instead of an Aveo is something that makes travel better. I want to like my work, and generally do (programming computers loving rocks, especially when my customer wants me around to show it off), but there's always ways to make it better.

i like Ham posted:

It really just depends on the person to see if grabbing an extra leg is worth it to them. Silver Medallion is a really solid bottom tier, I used to have a pretty decent upgrade rate as a Silver whereas getting one without status you are resigned to incredibly low chances and only on full fare tickets.

That's what my trip to Seattle was for. I've done >50k miles this year, but split between AA, DL, with one flight on UA (thankfully zeroing out my miles with them, gently caress that gay airline). AA's labor problems wasted hours of my life on my last trip with them, starting 2013 with status on both AA and DL improves the experience with either one, and for the cost of spending a fun weekend in Seattle I got to have both.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Belldandy posted:

No, but it is on an airline by airline basis. So if you had it for Delta and wanted to get it on United you'd have to go through the steps again.

Emphatically wrong. I qualified for Pre-check based on AA status and living in an AA hub city (MIA is an AA hub), and the first chance I got to use it was with DL at ATL. All you have to do is copy over your "Known Traveler Number."

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shbobdb posted:

Lounges are for drinking free drinks while scanning receipts.

Free drinks while doing any fun computer activity: surprising your UK coworkers by being up at ungodly hours of the morning (6am est), yosposting (made the RIM death pool thread from the sky club at MIA), delegating short-fuse client stuff to coworkers, and so on.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Thoguh posted:

The battery? Most domestic planes on Delta are woefully short on plugs. Occasionally I'll luck out and they'll be some in first class if I get an upgrade. But even that is rare. I carry a spare battery for my phone and have an extended battery in my laptop's CD Drive slot.

My 15" MBP's 85W charger hasn't agreed with any in-flight power port I've used: 120V AC, 12V DC with a standalone inverter. On my old one with a 45W charger, I could only charge if I took the battery out so it wouldn't try to charge it, but that would also mean if the MagSafe connector disengaged, I'd have to cold boot.

I've charged my iPhone from in-seat USB before, and my iPad has enough battery to play music and games for about ten hours so it hasn't been a problem: ten hours of iPad and 4-7 hours of MBP adds up to a longer flight than I've taken.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Uncle Jam posted:

Compare that to AmTrak that has power at every single seat, right on the wall. And not that half assed you have to take your battery out power. Its a sad day when you feel like a king in AmTraks normal seats compared to first class on flights.

I had problems with the power ports in UK's East Coast first class between King's Cross and Edinburgh, but yeah AmTrak is nice as far as power goes.

However, it's slower and frequently more expensive than flying in Florida. AmTrak from Miami to Jacksonville takes as long as American from Miami to London.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Belldandy posted:

Yeah, it's rumored to happen but in my opinion it looks unlikely. I think US Air is horrible so I am dreading it for the most part. None of their hubs offer a lot of value, in my opinion, except for maybe DCA. however the interesting thing they've stated is that AA will not leave oneWorld. Ideally if they merged having access to both programs would be pretty slick.

It'll probably stabilize so that we have one US domestic airline per alliance. SkyTeam is DL-only since NW and CO went away in mergers, and they've seemingly been able to integrate to a much greater extent.

sellouts posted:

Why would OneWorld be so bad for you?

The only reason I dislike Star Alliance is their service in Miami is awful. Their terminal is depressing and I hit my head on the ceiling last time I was there, they don't have many flights, and they all seem to connect through IAH, which I don't like as much as ATL or flying direct from AA's MIA hub.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

caberham posted:

Hey travel pros, help a goon out here!

I got to go to Europe for a whirlwind tour of meeting clients and attending an exhibition anyone got any suggestions on how to keep it one world (Personal mileage acrrual). Kayak refers to multiple airlines for a cheaper deal, or through Star alliance. Is that what I should go for? The company secretary has connections with tourist agents but I suspect their rates are not much cheaper.

Hong Kong -- > Venice ---> Stuttgart --- > Berlin ---> Hong Kong.

Appreciate all help!

Do HKG-some *A hub and just take trains, they're more relaxing that flying.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shadowhand00 posted:

Sorry, to clarify, its about 100 miles (Cupertino to SF). If it was 25 miles, that's just a normal commute as far as I can see. Parking's about $12-$30 depending on the day so I'd definitely expense that.

It really comes down to if it counts as a commute or not. I live almost a thousand miles from our closest office, so obviously the rare trips I take in are expensed. If I lived across town, or if it was in greater South Florida (I live at the south end of Miami, there's about a hundred miles of urban area north of me,) it probably wouldn't be worth expensing.

In the past, I've expensed a five mile drive to a customer event though.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shadowhand00 posted:

Its an internal meeting. Its been previously agreed upon that these were meetings that I could expense. My question stemmed from why people might or might not expense this in the first place and how my expensing these trips would be perceived. Apologies for not being very clear initially and making this into a multiple page question.

If there's an agreement, use it until it stops.

Thoguh posted:

The closest comparison I can make to that is the drive to the airport for me. My company will allow you to expense the mileage between the building you work in and the airport parking lot, which works out to about $15 round trip. But if you don't put it down on the expense report they won't add it.

I've never worked somewhere I couldn't expense the trip from my house to the airport, although one job only did the difference between home-airport and home-office, which was weird and unfortunate when I ended up moving closer to the airport.

Current job has a short and easy-to-read document of travel/expense rules. I'd recommend finding one of those.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I'm waitlisted for a business class upgrade for the transatlantic part of my trip to Scotland in a couple months :ohdear:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shadowhand00 posted:

ITs funny. They have a great travel document for our China developers. Per diem rules, how much you can spend on hotels, airlines, etc. Nothing for the US people. Just a vague, "oh, just expense whatever you use." So passive aggressive.

If you're one of those "I will light my way by the bridges I burn" people, you can make them write that document by gradually ramping up the decadence.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Small White Dragon posted:

That isn't at all uncommon. Can we ask what airline?

AA; I'm not too worried about being waitlisted, I've never had one not go through when I pay with miles. Those 500-mile vouchers are worthless though.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

Yep I get good use for them unless I'm flying between hubs or booking last minute fares.

That would be it; the only reason I fly AA is because MIA is a hub for them.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Belldandy posted:

Are you based out of MIA? I am thinking about moving there cause, well, it's warm and I'd pay a lot lot lot lot less taxes and MIA is a good AA hub. Any "gotchas" I should know about hubbing out of MIA with AA?

I don't know of any gotchas; and if AA ends up sucking, FLL is like twenty miles north.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I'm waitlisted for a business class upgrade for the transatlantic part of my trip to Scotland in a couple months :ohdear:

The upgrade for the first long flight went through :dance:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Fryhtaning posted:

The 35% posted in the job description is a very manageable number, but if they could freely turn around and ship me out for two months at a time without recourse, which would wreak havoc on my home life, then that's something I need to consider against the potential increase in income that the job would entail.

So ask about that.

Fryhtaning posted:

So what you're saying is that it is unlikely that there is any kind of formal agreement on the maximum or minimum amount of travel, on whether or not to expect any weekend travel, how much would be driving distance vs flying, etc? It's for an application engineer position, so it's not quite the high-octane travel of sales or consultants.

You haven't named the company, and none of us know you in real life, we don't have these answers.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
American Airlines is going to stop giving AAdmiral's Club privileges to American Express Platinum cardholders next year D:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Thoguh posted:

I'm going to be in San Fransisco for three hours this evening for my mileage run.

Anything close enough to the airport that I could get out to it and back in an hour or two?

Nope. The city's 40 minutes away, and the area immediately around SFO is hella lame.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The new Delta SkyClubs at JFK and ATL are really nice.

The big ones, at least. There's a couple broom-closet ones that aren't terribly impressive.

I like the one at MIA more than either AAdmiral's Club here.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh yeah there's one in Terminal B that is awful. But the newly renovated ones are nice.

Also, RDU was running a pilot of new food options for SkyClubs when I dropped in earlier this week. Pretty decent sandwiches and some nice chocolates. Nice to know that the giant price increase at least has some benefits.

ATL A17 had the sammies a few minutes ago, DFW had hard-boiled eggs this morning, and MIA had waffles and survey cards (waffles were good, survey cards were disappointing and nearly inedible.)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Belldandy posted:

Some countries, especially Canada and Brazil, are very protective of their workforce and don't want Americans going in to do a job that a citizen could do. It's really strange, I mentioned I visited a friend frequently in Brazil and all they asked was her name and moved on, the questions came when I mentioned business. I don't think you should lie and exclude it, but have a really good reason as to why you are the guy who has to travel.

I said I traveled to a lot of programming conferences; kinda business, necessarily international (just got back from speaking at one in Brazil), and it passes muster for a tourist visa (not receiving payment or compensation from local entities).

US -> Brazil customs at GRU (São Paulo Guarulhos) sucks, took about ninety minutes in a hot sweaty room.
Brazil -> US customs with Global Entry at ATL owns, would have been in and out in five minutes if my bag had been priority tagged, could have snuck upstairs like I was leaving the airport to pre-check back in, and the F-concourse Sky Club has showers.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Get one of those little retractable ethernet cords. Wifi in hotels is a hit-or-miss business and wired internet usually works better.

gently caress that, get a portable LTE hotspot/mifi thing.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I definitely catch poo poo from other FF status people and sometimes employees for being a very young nonwhite DM with a baby face. I had some SkyClub desk staff (nicely) debate if I was the youngest DM. I wonder if there's a way to look it up.

An old lady gave me the stink eye for a whole flight for being up in F. I was dressed casually, but come on, lady.

I go to Vegas every August and roll into F in cargo shorts and flip flops like I don't even give a gently caress (I don't), get drunk and program the whole flight.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DJCobol posted:

EWR only has 2 things going for it: its an international hub, so you can see some cooler, bigger planes which is nice when all you are used to seeing is SW 737s and CRJ/ERJs. And if you need to get into NYC via rail, thats pretty easy.

EWR is also home to the best thing to do in New Jersey (leave New Jersey).

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Aristotle Animes posted:

I'm a little surprised this was that easy... thanks.

Or any forum. There's a lot of anger spilled on this subject over at flyertalk. Usually jerks blathering about how everyone else does it so play the system blah blah.

If somebody on flyertalk does a thing it's a good sign that you should not do that thing.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Finally hit Delta Silver over the weekend. I travel a lot less than I used to. I think I'll celebrate by leaving the house to work today.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

Happened to me once. Filled up at the hotel, thought I'd be OK driving in to the airport 20 miles away. Nope. They just emailed me a revised bill and charged my card. I thought it was kinda bs since the guy checked it in as full but whatever.

Ugh, I just remembered the one time I got really hosed.

I had rented a Prius, and ended up only driving it 50 miles (from FLL to downtown Miami and back). It only used one square of the ten-square fuel gauge, and apparently putting a single gallon of gas in (at the closest gas station to the airport) doesn't actually update the gauge.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Fryhtaning posted:

I can still collect points, I can just see it easily being scattered across 4 or 5 airlines instead of with 1 or 2. Supposedly Egencia will spit out the lowest fare it can find, and, unless it doesn't make you reasonably on-time for a meeting or get you there outside of 2 hours of your desired arrival time, you have to accept it. I just hope it doesn't end up doing some bullshit like sending me through ORD and then back down to Florida or something just because AA beat Delta by :10bux:

Jigger your arrival and departure times so the airline you want is the best choice price-wise. When I was traveling a lot and stuck with Concur this worked great, and nobody at the company did any auditing after the fact because that would be difficult.

And if you're connecting anywhere with AA on the way to Florida it'll probably be MIA.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mackieman posted:

They're differentiated between the sUA fleet and the sCO fleet. The sCO J seat is actually quite a bit better than the one pictured above, which is the sUA seat. On most aircraft they are four across in the middle :cry:. The barcolounger style recliners are all gone from the long-haul international fleet; the only place you see them is on the high-density 772 birds that fly to Hawaii out of the non-East Coast hubs (where a 764 is used due to range issues).

Or use SeatGuru instead of learning a bunch of crazy acronyms and rules.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Aristotle Animes posted:

I also travel with scented oils to put on washcloths and stuff into the AC to make the room smell nice. It relaxes me. I have a fairly manly job but I travel like a total fag. Like I said, go ahead and laugh, i certainly do. But I work long hours on the road and I like peace and comfort in my room which translates to sanity. :-X

Do you take your shoes off and make little fists in the carpet with your toes too?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I had a shockingly decent salad on Delta on Monday.

If it was US domestic first, I had the same one a few weeks ago. The stromboli ("pizza empanada") is surprisingly edible too.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

TLG James posted:

So my company cheaped out and now I have to fly from the US to my destination, going through the Heathrow Airport.

It looks like I need to switch terminals from 3 to 4. The internet is a bit confusing on this. I need to take a train or something between the 2? I assume it's free?

It's pretty easy if everything's on time. You'll probably have to clear customs and go through security. Don't have a bunch of loose crap in your carry-on bags or that'll take forever.

It's not hard though:

sellouts posted:

Thousands of people navigate that airport easily for the first time every day. You will be fine. There are signs. They're even in English.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Uncle Jam posted:

That looks super nice and all but its hard to shake the feeling you could recreate that on the ground for less than $1000.

The Dom P would probably be the expensive part, although I don't know how much Ferragamo stuff costs, and I've got a good ~local roaster~ for coffee.

Edit: expensive part except for drinking it in the sky while going places, I guess!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Got my terminal-to-terminal transfer today via Delta's Porsche shuttle program.

How fast do they drive? I kind of want them to like drive out to the runways and race a taking-off airplane but that's not really "terminal-to-terminal."

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

This hasn't been my experience booking direct lax Aus or connecting through to dfw. I mean they aren't q fares but I wasn't ever lucky enough to get y. I usually book a few weeks out.

The hotels though. Downtown sells out in about 4 hours when registration opens. I mean everything. Like 6 months before.

Last time I went was such short notice I had to fly to San Antonio, stay out in San Marcos, and drive in. It sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Aristotle Animes posted:

EWR is fine for transiting purposes, never got a bag there but they transfer fine. I like IAH better and EWR won't turn the a/c on before April something which can make for an uncomfortable layover but what is wrong with EWR?

One time I rented an Impala from Hertz at EWR and even though there were "no smoking" stickers all over by the time I was in the highway heading south to Monmouth I was getting pretty tired of the obviously-smoked-in smell. I tried rolling the windows down and the outside air smelled even worse.