Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

I haven’t had to do that recently but not sure what kind of visas they have or what you need!

I had to do that for a tourist visa, but there’s a consulate downtown here so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

torb main posted:

Pretty sure I've gotten one of these every time I've departed Europe in the past two years. The back of my passport is just a bunch of Delta SSSS stickers

The handful of questions Delta makes you answer to get a sticker are nothing like a TSA SSSS search.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

psydude posted:

How does one get a TSA SSSS search? I thought it only applied to inbound international flights?

I've seen TSA SSSS from extremely late bookings, one-way trips, and a coworker who had a name that was similar to someone on a no-fly list. After a few scares, we eventually built in an hour for TSA nonsense into our travel schedules on his behalf.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
On my last trip I had to time-share a 30W charger between computer, switch, headphones, and the conference wristband.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Guy Axlerod posted:

You had to recharge the conference wristband??

Yeah: https://hackaday.com/2019/08/29/hands-on-cccamp2019-badge-is-a-sensor-playground-not-to-be-mistaken-for-a-watch/

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Warbird posted:

You all might have some insight on this. Folks at my firm get a company AmEx gold for business expenses. Apparently you can upgrade to an Amex Diamond or whatever after a year or two. What’s the benefit there? More points? My understanding is that limits don’t figure into things.

Amex plat gets you into the Bruichladdich z0ne (“Centurion Club”) at a few airports.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I miss getting to ride on Dulles moon patrol.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

Come on back and you can get screeched at by some bitch who works there because you’re sitting on “her bench.”

Nah, I'm alright, a day spent outside Loudon or Fairfax county or not using gendered insults is a good day.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Omne posted:

Do those of you with TSA PreCheck put your liquids in a clear one quart bag, or just in a dopp kit/toiletry bag since it stays in the suitcase?

I do just the toiletry bag. The only place I’ve been that was really picky about clear plastic was LHR and they were handing them out.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Connecting it to the exiting LA metro would help so drat much. It’s only a few miles away and how they didn’t do this originally is crazy.

There are so many cities with really good trains that don't have all their airline airports hooked up to it, just completely confounding. Berlin and New York come to mind. We only got trains to MIA in 2012, but it's great if you're in a transit catchment area and have a mid-morning flight. The connection from Manhattan to JFK isn't great but it's better than the Berlin Tegel bus.

Is the plan for LAX to eventually have a people mover between the terminal landsides, the ride sharing lot, and the nearby transit station?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

I’ve got a few airline pilot family friends. I’m continuously reminded that I better be willing to lose anything in my checked baggage. How airlines do this is beyond me.

I check bags often and while I’m familiar with the TSA love letter, I’ve had bags delayed a day (that Delta fire in August 2016), and occasionally my luggage has been damaged, I’ve never had anything go missing.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

The new Turkish airlines lounge in MIA Terminal E is pretty nice guys

I saw some pics, depending on where in MIA my flight is today I might check it out instead of the centurion club.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

TheWevel posted:

How do you herberts charge your iPhones and Apple watches in a hotel? Am I at the point where I need to get a travel power strip?

I was hoping there would be a combination watch/phone charger but none of them seem to be travel sized.

I've got a USB C/USB A charger with a bunch of ports: https://amzn.to/34tBkG0 ; it's not going to run a 15" MBP in direct sunlight, but it charges while closed well enough. Works great with the Switch even if you've just boarded a transatlantic flight with a dead battery. Thinking of trying one of those fancy gallium nitride chargers that has more power in less size.

One thing I plug in is a power bank that charges the Apple Watch: https://www.elevationlab.com/products/battery-pro-for-iphone-apple-watch. It fits in a coat pocket or basically any day bag (including a really tiny one I got at cccamp2019) if I'm going to need to charge my phone on a given day. It can charge the watch for a week or so, phone a few times.

On the hotel nightstand, it's kind of an awkward pile with the power bank on top of the charger brick since some watch bands have to go around the charger.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Good luck to anyone flying tomorrow: https://www.airportstrikealert.org/november-26/

quote:

Protests will take place at the following airports:

Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
Chicago-O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport (DFW)
Denver International Airport (DIA)
Detroit Wayne International Airport (DTW)
Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL)
Houston Bush International Airport (IAH)
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
Miami International Airport (MIA)
Minneapolis International Airport (MSP)
John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK, New York)
Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
San Diego International Airport (SAN)
San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA-TAC)
Washington Reagan National Airport (DCA)

I've heard that MIA might be a mess in the late afternoon.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how do you get a half segment

Assuming a segment is a takeoff and a landing, either die or DB Cooper your rear end off the plane before you land.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

I'm really unhappy with AAs rewards program but I live literally on Miracle Mile 10mins from MIA and it's the American hub. I've also got that credit card for the 60k points no spend deal from October.

Apart from choosing delta and connecting through ATL for everything I dont know what else I could possibly fly. I also feel like there isnt a huge quality difference between AA, United and Delta but I only fly united into EWR for a specific client and I only fly Delta into ATL for one of my dev teams so idk.
I’m on the other side of US-1 from you and I mostly fly Delta. They do seem to have more predictable performance even if they make you Do Every Leg Through Atlanta. I did fly AA to CLT last week though and it was mostly fine I guess. I don’t feel like I fly enough to get status on multiple airlines, so I might try AA more in 2020.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

Do you fly out of MIA most of the time though or out of FTL? I'm also a little concerned about adding another point of failure to itinerary (a connection and new plane) but I guess like MIA/FTL to ATL is probably pretty consistent as you say.

I’ve only flown out of FLL when it was necessary to get on the DTW trans-pacific flights. If I’m not paying, they’re paying for MIA.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

Is there anything interesting to eat/drink in the Melbourne CBD? It looks like I have a free day.

I am going to the basquiat/harring and kaws exhibits at the NGV which I’m v. happy about.

Backwater's pretty good, probably my favorite breakfast place there, went twice (for breakfast and lunch) on Wednesday last week.

If you have a free day though, go to the space center imo, it's only an hour drive from Melbourne, Florida.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
My industry's great, if i wore a button-down and jeans to our last meeting I'd've out-dressed the customer.

Waroduce posted:

The few of us in south florida should grab a beer sometime
Agreed, although Wynwood is he'll for Basel this week.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Pretty sure it ends at fuckin’ midnight. If you got an upgrade on a transoceanic and coach is full, make sure to steal a vest and cushion before you take the DB Cooper stairs.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

antiga posted:

What's everyone's most degenerate mileage run? Currently flying YUL-PHL-LAX-LAS-DFW-IAH instead of YUL-CLT-IAH because I need 4750 EQM by 12/23 to meet my exec plat status challenge. Not proud of it

Not particularly degenerate by unnecessary connection standards but getting my conference budget at work to pay for MCO-ATL-AMS-TXL in 2018 and TXL-AMS-MCO in 2019 so I could go to 35C3 in Leipzig and incidentally do a bunch of tourist stuff and hit DL Platinum was pretty sweet.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Space Gopher posted:

Hyatt's reward program is called World of Hyatt. The status tiers are Discoverist, Explorist, and Globalist.

Some other hotel chain's rewards program is called "bonvoy" which sounds dumb and makes me surprisingly mad.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Warbird posted:

Are conventions the natural enemy of business travel? My hotel is swamped and next week I have to stay clear across town next week because everything is booked up. My fault for waiting so long.

I had to go to DC during peak field trip season, had to stay in Largo, spending an hour on Metro every morning.

Compared to my last DC trip, where I scored a hotel on the same block as the meetings.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I feel sorry for non-hackers stuck in Vegas during the Black Hat/BSidesLV/DEF CON week.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

*shrug*

The hotels I stay at are often totally sold out, sxsw puts a blanket hold for all hotel rooms in the city and the Hilton is ground zero for all of their ballrooms, and all of these hotels are fully sold out.

Not really fair to say I’ve never been at a popular hotel or conference. Guess my experiences are different.

Yeah, I had to go to SXSWi for work back in ‘12 and the closest hotel room was halfway to San Antonio, an hour by car each way.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
When did AA stop having directs from MIA to IAD? bogus

Mackieman posted:

How else am I to be entertained at DTW?

Improvising Manhattans in the Sky Club while recovering from twelve-hour transpac flights.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Fun: get to figure out how to get from Chantilly at 4p to on a plane at 6:30p in a couple weeks.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

drgitlin posted:

Udvar-Hazy to IAD? There’s a bus, it’s only one stop.

I fuckin’ wish, been a decade since I’ve been to the museum. Got an all-day meeting for my first trip of the year.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

Don’t gently caress around and 28 will still be clear at that time. It’ll get drastically worse the longer you wait.

Is Old Ox to Ariane (in green) a viable way to get to the rental car z0ne if 28 (in magenta) is messed up?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

Theres no priority pass in PHX....what the gently caress?

Every Priority Pass lounge is a single glass jar of biscotti and six room temperature cans of Miller Lite.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrLogan posted:

28 is likely to be better than 50…

asur posted:

Taking 28 at 4pm is highly unlikely to take an hour and a half…

Midjack posted:

Assuming you’re in Chantilly itself and not a few miles west…

Cool, thanks!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Every Priority Pass lounge is a single glass jar of biscotti and six room temperature cans of Miller Lite.

Wait, I forgot about the ones where it's a $20 credit at a Johnny Rockets that charges $75 for a Sysco burger.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

David Chang is pretty loving good dude, also you messed up if you didn’t get the pork, shrimp or mushroom buns.

David Chang is great but it's not a threat to your honor as someone who has liked his food before and likes his TV show to say that his restaurants aren't uniformly spectacular.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Thomamelas posted:

Sell it then. The cases are amazing if you need to move poo poo that just can't be given the kind of beating baggage handlers routinely deal out. But even the airs are going to be heavier then any modern luggage. And they won't store as much stuff. Also they pretty much have to be checked. I'm doubtful either Pelican model you mentioned would fit in an overhead bin.

There’s a carry-on one I’ve used to move computers around a few times, but that’s all I use it for. For stuff that isn’t fragile it’s strictly worse than a Patagonia MLC.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DJCobol posted:

For whatever reason in our setup, changing the sliders doesn't get rid of the exception notification. I actually have to change the search times, but that's easy enough to do.

Yeah, the sliders are display filters, not query filters.

What you want is to make the ±hours drop down next to your entered time as small as possible, perhaps using web inspector or grease monkey. That’s a query filter, so it gets applied before it looks for the cheapest option in the set it matches.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Is Old Ox to Ariane (in green) a viable way to get to the rental car z0ne if 28 (in magenta) is messed up?

28 was fine today. Went from the 7-eleven outside the Costco there to the Turkish airline club in under an hour. Only part worth griping about is I don’t get to go on moon patrol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Turkish at IAD has Hacker-Pschorr, I’m good.