Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

psydude posted:

If we start using concur I'm going to become a self employed contractor and just invoice them for my expenses instead.

Concur is just a portal. What it allows (or doesn't allow) you to do is only as good/bad as your company's travel policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I only did three trips last year and lost all my status except some stuff from hotels via credit cards or lifetime status. Tomorrow is going to be my first flight since 2009 without any status at all. Hope nothing goes wrong because Delta isn't gonna give a gently caress if I need rebooking help.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Happy to report my year end numbers this year. Maybe I'll start travelling again someday.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

movax posted:

I read this last night — incredibly on-brand for AA response.

In this case nothing that happened was AAs fault though and if anything the airport agents were as helpful as they could be so it works.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Officer Koala Fart posted:

Looks like nobody cares anymore. Many restaurants were closed, so the ones that were open in the B gate area (Starbucks, McD’s) were madhouses. Lots of mask variation - some full biohazard suits, many non-masked folks, and a range in between. Most popular look was mask-on-chin.

I imagine that right now there are two sets of travelers - people on unavoidable business travel or personal emergency type trips who are taking things at least kind of seriously and people who have decided it is fake and it's a great time for a cheap weekend in Vegas that give zero fucks.

Right now my company is all WFH and no travel without C level approval and have signaled that'll be at least through the end of the year. I've been in a much less travel role the past two years but this might be my first year since 2008 with no business travel at all.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Residency Evil posted:

My wife is also hellbent on a vacation. Just the two of us are going to a friend's house in North Carolina that sits empty most of the year. That was the compromise.

Same, so we're looking at renting a cabin somewhere within a day's drive because we're gong stir crazy and the lack of anything at all to look forward to in order to break up the monotony is becoming a drag. A few months ago I wouldn't have been down for that but surface transmission appears to be less of a big deal than initially thought so I'd be comfortable enough somewhere that it was just us or even with another couple if they were in a nearby cabin and we only hung out distanced and outdoors. Might consider bringing my own bedding but that'd be the extent of it.

Only problem is it seems like a lot of people are arriving at the same conclusion so reservations are getting booked up for the whole summer already at pretty much everywhere.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

Please tell my wife that. I made my case a few times and still ended up buying plane tickets yesterday.

You gave in, lots of people are so I'm not gonna give you individual poo poo for it. But lets be clear.

Nobody made you buy a plane ticket to Florida. You decided to do that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I haven't been a frequent traveler since 2017 and just lurk here anymore but seemed appropriate for this thread.

https://twitter.com/wogoat/status/1291600228974354432?s=20

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KodiakRS posted:

I was in Orlando a few weeks ago and tried to go to a Dennys. It was slammed, wall to wall with obese, maskless, idiots. I don't know if the bars are closed in Florida but you can certainly get yourself a grand-slamwhich with extra syrup and a side of permanent lung damage.

One of my favorite genres of posts right now is people posting about how they went to go do a thing and the place was full of idiots who already were doing that thing and apparently don't realize that means that they are also one of those idiots doing that thing.

But I"m gonna be honest, it's usually stuff like going to a popular park that turns out to be super crowded or poo poo like that. It being about going to Denny's is probably the absolute peak of that type of post.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Motronic posted:

I'm honestly more surprised it's taken this long for something like this to happen/hit the news.

People have been openly lieing about tests the whole time and posting about it after the fact on social media but that hasn't gotten much coverage. A guy dieing gets clicks.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Space Gopher posted:

Also, you can burn Chase points at the travel portal bonus rate for your card for cash back against groceries purchased in the last 90 days with the “pay yourself back” feature.

Restaurants too, including doordash/grubhub. Chase is trying really hard to keep people on that card.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mackieman posted:

Yeah, we're months away from having a reliable testing infrastructure that could support such a plan. Same with the vaccine, incidentally. poo poo ain't gonna get better (or "normal") for quite a while, despite what airline CEOs are saying to get people to start booking tickets again.

"They're ready when we are".

I feel bad for anybody who has to travel for work or a family emergency or whatever right now because the only other people on the planes are people who were like "Yeah there is a pandemic but Cancun and Vegas are cheap as gently caress right now".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I'm calling it, travel will begin to resume this summer. The UK announced tentative end dates,

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1363971476739805187?s=20

Travel was never shut down domestically and it still tanked. I don't expect corporate travel to start again just because official bans are lifted.