Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Something I just noticed in the last panel: Saitama still made sure to take his boots off before sitting down in the completely destroyed house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

Hope they don't cheap out on the anime next time around (and a few dozen animators don't mind working themselves to death)

Honestly, I have a hard time feeling excited for season 3. They've waited so long and the anime is so far behind now that I feel like it'll be a frustrating experience to watch after all this time. Season 2 of the anime left off before the monster association arc started, yet in the manga that arc has been going on for longer than everything before it combined. If they keep a similar pace, season 3 will probably end long before they even go underground.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah, I don't see any indication that Garou wants to usher in a world of monster supremacy. If anything, the monsters just annoy him, and he's never even shown hesitancy toward killing them (unlike with humans). He just wants to be the only game in town.

That said, what's up with the transition between the previous chapter and this one? We left off with Saitama and Gargoyle Garou sitting down to have a chat, then the next chapter opened with Cosmic Garou walking toward Saitama for a fight, with no explanation for what happened earlier. I feel like I missed a mini update or something.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

You missed a redraw. Saitama and Garou sitting down to have a chat got retconned out of existence.

Oh thanks, had no idea!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
You'd think Zombieman would be fine with the radiation. He should be able to regenerate faster than it damages him. Not that he'd be much help here, but still.

And come on, Atomic Samurai, just chop those free radicals down before they get to you and your friends.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

It works like every other bog-standard* comic book regeneration power. He heals when he's not being damaged. You can put swords in him and his body won't push them out of him but as soon as they're out the wound heals.

*Excluding the higher tier ones where body parts climb back onto people or they're nigh-immortal like Hulk, Deadpool, Superman, Wolverine, etc.

Yeah, I was thinking of Wolverine-style regeneration where it's actively happening even as the damage is being inflicted, but I guess we've never actually seen Zombieman do that? He just kinda lies on the floor until the regen kicks in. I guess he'll eventually be fine after this incident as well, assuming the earth still exists.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I mean the dude gives us a borderline-NSFW pinup on the cover of each chapter, not sure why people are surprised he has a sex drive all of sudden

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If it helps, it's pronounced just like how a Japanese person would say "Hello" [in English] with Japanese phonemes, except with a G instead of an H at the beginning

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's Garo. Like row boat.

The ou is a more faithful transliteration (Hepburn) of how the japanese say the o sound in his name which completely ignores that most of the time an english reader encounters ou, it's like in you, so you naturally want to read it like Garoo, like kangaroo.

It's a case of bad editing, rather than bad translation really.

Yeah I probably would have gone with Garoh or Garow personally.

Maybe even something like Gahrow, so people don't think it's Gay-ro (lol). This might seem over the top, but apparently there are people who pronounce Mario as "Mayrio"

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

LegoMan posted:

At least Russian has a similar alphabet to work with.

I'd argue that in a way this makes it even worse. With Japanese you're learning a set of entirely new characters, but with Russian you're seeing a lot of stuff that looks familiar but is actually something completely different. As a native English speaker, part of your brain is going to always associate Я with R, while nothing in hiragana or katakana caries such a false association. Kanji is a whole other monster of course.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
One interesting thing I noticed about the latest chapter is that Saitama finally displayed his power in front of the rest of the heroes. There was no ambiguity over who did it or whether or not Garou was actually a powerful foe. I wonder if this will actually change the dynamics with how the Hero Association and S classes treat him, or if they're just going to retreat to some kind of "The radiation must have been causing us to hallucinate! :v:" explanation.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

Theoretically, this Garou could beat this Saitama. I had always assumed Saitama was infinitely powerful. Any increase in his strength was just a higher form of infinity. This Garou actually surpassed a past Saitama in strength though. He was even aware of a time-travel method, so if he could use his own technique, he could theoretically actually beat Saitama. So threats to Saitama could actually exist. Not that I think we'll ever see any.

I see this graph as an illustration of Garou's perception, not a direct measurement of their actual power. At any given point, Saitama appears to Garou to be about twice as powerful, no matter how much Garou's power increases. It's kind of like dealing with the speed of light, where no matter how fast you're going, light waves are still going to appear to move at C relative to you. You literally cannot catch up with it. If Garou had gone back in time after getting his cosmic god powers and challenged Saitama before he even joined the Hero Association, the fight would have gone the same way.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Personally, I think if Saitama had been in any of these fights pre 'training that made me go bald' he would've been destroyed like Genos.

He wasn't Saitama before he went bald :colbert:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Caidin posted:

This is a relaxing chapter.

Gonna need some Manako follow up real drat quick, though.

I'm thinking the rustling coming from the debris in the last panel is her

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

oh jay posted:

Manako is clean shaven. That's a hairy motherfucker.

I thought that was just a shadow or hole in the pile, but yeah now that I look at it again it looks like a silhouette of someone's hair.

Who could it be then??

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Silverfang more or less knows about Saitama's power, Blizzard too. They should be able to confirm Genos's claims. King knows him even better, but I guess I can see why he wouldn't be eager to speak up.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
drat, what a cliffhanger. poo poo is absolutely about to go down.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Child Emperor, Metal Bat, Watchdog Man, and Pig God are all doing their best

Also Bang, Blast, King, Zombieman, Atomic Samurai, Tanktop Master, and of course our boy Genos. Most of the S-class members are good people.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Flashy Flash worrying about Manako's safety and trying to locate her on the down-low is just the cutest goddamn thing. I'm wondering if she'll somehow end up being the catalyst that exposes Sweet Mask for whatever his deal is, since he can't tolerate monsters (and we've already had one close call).

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Given Child Emperor's strong moral convictions, I've always been a bit confused by how he threw in with Bofoi for so long. Obviously he's an important source of information, and an extremely capable fellow scientist/engineer, but he's clearly a bad actor and untrustworthy. Even if CE just now found out about his involvement in the Hero Association's corruption, Bofoi was still borderline villainous with how negligently and selfishly he handled past threats that required the involvement of multiple S class heroes.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
This whole plan could have been singlehandedly and safely pulled off by that one dude with the jetpack, if only he didn't decide to fly right into the giants like an idiot

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm thinking maybe one of the natural predators will get pushed to the brink by the others, and will lend their remaining forces and powers to humanity, who can then use them against a specific enemy. Then humanity targets the other predators one at a time, Megaman style.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm wondering if King's supernatural luck will still kick in during training, even after he's spilled the beans to Silverfang. Silverfang ends up not being able to land a single hit and somehow ends up on his rear end, wondering why King came all this way just to clown on him.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I've been thinking, King could pretty easily spin it as saying his powers were mysteriously sapped/deactivated during the battle with Garou, and now he's just a normal human. I'm not sure if he hasn't resorted to that because he hasn't considered it and thinks becoming legitimately strong is his only option left, or if his morals prevent him from doing so.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Looking forward to the god vs tree battle

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Flashy Flash explicitly labels Manako as pink in his drawing of her, so there's no real question about it at this point. I always imagined her as light green though.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Still curious how mad max world is gonna do anything but already be dead or join up, considering they're so far implied to just be regular humans?

What I'm wondering is how certain groups of survivors are going to provide any sort of help or advantage at all. Like what are the people from God/New Humanity/Calamity world going to do other than express their constant panic/depression?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
What is that top even covering?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Which hurts more, being intentionally full-force kicked in the balls by a demon general, or unintentionally punched in the balls by Saitama?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Magneto only created a little ball that he used to throw around at high speeds like a bullet. Probably still more metal than what can typically be found in a single human body but it was a lot less than what you'd need for a sword.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Since the human general was so keen on calling the aliens in to disrupt the situation, you'd think he'd also be in favor of praying for God to intervene at this point

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Vold holding back from putting a mind whammy on Sonic because he's worried about triggering the monster cell he ate is funny to me because it makes me remember the gag where Sonic got a monster cell but inadvertently rendered it inactive by cooking it first.

He wasn't holding back because he was scared of triggering the monster cell, he was rejecting Sonic as a candidate because he was weak minded enough to accept it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Bucswabe posted:

Some cool art from Murata today

https://twitter.com/NEBU_KURO/status/1758475823903035797?t=2nT-Ef86x3LDqLZCZ5Tgag&s=19

For what it's worth, he says it's NOT God destroying the Hero Association

Well that's good to know, because that's exactly what it looks like

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

That was mistranslated. He was saying that it wasn't a spoiler of God destroying the Hero Association.

Y'know 'I just drew this for fun, don't take it as canon to the story going on currently'

Looking at the comments now, I don't see him elaborating anywhere. There were two questions asking "is this this future of the hero association?" and "is this the hero association and god?" and his answer to both was just "that's wrong".

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

suicide4sexbots posted:

so what happens when you push the Blast button?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Eh, studios can put out results of varying quality, depending on how much funding they have for each project. JC Staff also made some pretty great shows like Azumanga Daioh and Excel Saga, so I wouldn't judge them based on OPM season 2 alone.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
How do they handle the redraws when they later sell the manga in volumes? Do they just pretend they never existed, or are they included as little bonus sections at the back of the book?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
One thing that really bothered me about the original version of this chapter was how much Saitama was willing to tolerate all the exposition from Flash and Blast, and even seemed interested in it at times. "Sure I've got nothing better to do" felt like a complete character break. I'm glad they fixed that in the redraw.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I think he warped it somewhere else entirely just before the moment of impact, or maybe shrunk everything down to an infinitesimally small singularity or something wacky like that. On the centerfold page where all the slashes converge there's no visible association building, so he didn't just create a shield and lift it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

It's possible I'm just misreading page 20? Page 19 you can see it lifted several hundred feet above the ground, page 20 I assumed you can't see it because of the impact explosions of the converging attacks masking it from sight, and then page 21 when those have cleared you can still see it elevated far above the ground though now much lower before page 22 shows it being slotted back into its original position. I guess it's possible it blinked out of space entirely on page 20 into another dimension or something and was back a split second later? But because we saw it lifted up and then lowered back down I just assumed he'd just zapped it up in the air and then back down again.

Edit: Murata please correctly assume I'm a hopeless dumbass, you don't need to redraw the chapter!

Page 19 shows a small bright ball high above the ground, which is the center of where the hero association used to be; it's the last glimpse of it before it phased out in Blast's black hole. On page 20 the association is gone and Empty Void's attack splits the ground. On page 21 it warps back into the exact place it originally disappeared from, except a considerable amount of ground is missing because of the attack. Page 22 it drops into place because of the missing ground.