Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I just caught up with this manga in one sitting, and holy poo poo it is amazing. I am going through the thread now and

Sindai posted:

Change thread title to "Better animation than most anime."

Is there a reason this hasn't happened yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

AnonSpore posted:

Actually, S-rankers tend to get more powerful as the number goes up, so Watchdogman is actually significantly more powerful than Genos. :v:

That might not be true, though. Genos is new - he's at the worst rank because he hasn't proved himself any yet. His real 'rank' hasn't been set or tested any, so we don't know how he compares to Watchdog just yet.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

PaganGoatPants posted:

I don't know if I should wait or read the original (if it's translated).

Let me help you with that decision: It's not translated.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Onepunch Man: The only manga so well animated you can make a music video out of it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
A better timed gif than the one in the update post: http://i.imgur.com/sBJsbKL.gif

Linked for those who haven't seen the chapter yet.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That chapter was horribly translated.

The Batoto translation is perfectly fine.

This entire chapter was great. I especially liked the commentary from the old man hero. "Welp. You just failed, kid." He didn't even need to watch the fireworks.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Colon Semicolon posted:

I wonder if Saitama will ever get a hero name or they'll just roll with 'Rank S no. 5 Saitama'
I mean with the comic's name you'd expect he's eventually gonna get SOMETHING.

There's no way he's not eventually going to be called One Punch Man, but in the meantime, Rank C no. 5 Saitama works perfectly fine.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
One Punch Man is as close to independent publishing as the Manga industry can possibly get. Murata makes it himself on what is essentially his own schedule. As far as I can tell, he doesn't have anyone looking over his shoulder about any of this except maybe ONE.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Serious Frolicking posted:

The other low-rank heroes scraped up a bit of courage via teaming up when they had nowhere left to run. Licenseless Rider took on a giant monster who had just torn a combat cyborg to pieces. He specifically chose to risk his life for others when he could have just left instead. And as far as I can tell, in spite of how he is a parody of Kamen Rider he is just some dude who rides a bike without any special abilities.

He certainly didn't become rank 1 C Class from skill or strength. It's all gusto and being a true hero in a hero's organization mostly lacking exactly that.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I appreciate that S-2 gets the same off-model "don't give a poo poo" faces Saitama does. Check her out in the group spread, she and Saitama stick out like a pair of sore thumbs. :allears:

EDIT:

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 3, 2013

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

JosephWongKS posted:

How much hair have you lost so far?

Saitama didn't start losing hair until halfway through his second year.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
http://www.mangareader.net/onepunch-man/40/5

This page is now my wallpaper.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is ONE even working on this anymore? I read both but haven't seen an original out in forever.

He is currently dedicating all his effort to Mob Psycho 100, because he is being paid to put out chapters of that. One Punch Man was his freely released webcomic, while Mob Psycho 100 is a serialized work. So, ONE hasn't put out much One Punch Man because he's been busy with that instead (which is also very good and you can read it here).

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Suspicious Lump posted:

Why is he half stuck in the ground? I can't remember...

He never finished climbing out of the hole Saitama made.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

The King Engine is meowing?

I haven't read the manga so I don't know what that means, but man does it sound cool.

See all those japanese characters around King in most of the panels he is in? Those are sound effects, specifically "DOH DOH DOH DOH DOH DOH DOH", like a car engine idling. That's not for effect, that is a real sound that people around King can actually hear, and it is nicknamed the King Engine because it's so distinctive. So everyone saying "Man, the king engine is roaring" is commenting on all those Doh's around him.

Anyone saying any more than that about the King Engine is spoiling things, so don't do it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Suspicious Lump posted:

:zoro: Is that all you got?

Is it bang or fang? It seemed like he redirected the hit by bouncing off the debris around him

His name is Bang. His hero title is Silver Fang.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

tlarn posted:

The last proper punch he threw just broke Boros's weighted training clothes power-limiting armor, yeah.

He presumably threw a second punch between then and when we caught back up with the fight, too, because Boros is missing an arm. So I assume Boros tried to block it.

EDIT: vvvvv also possible.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 31, 2014

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Popo posted:

Generally he aims to put out new content every two weeks but sometimes this could be a redraw. He also does things like just expanding chapters instead of each release being a new one and the logic can be weird at times. I honestly thought this short little chapter would have been put into chapter 48 but nope, it's 49, because.

ONE is "whenever" since it's his side project he just does for fun.

Next arc, like every new arc, is going to be great. I love the section we're heading into right now.

The next few chapters are my favorite in the entire series, I cannot wait to see Murata make them beautiful.

Soulcleaver posted:

I was hoping Saitama would knock out stupid jerk loli and anyone else who mouthed off to him for saving the world. Shows what I know about his personality.

Saitama really isn't very vindictive and doesn't care about the credit at all, though. He's already been treated like crap by the Tank Top heroes and the NEET kid after the Sea King fight, and his response both times was "I don't really care WHAT you think of me, I'm just going to keep being a hero." The only reason he even acted differently this time was because it was someone just throwing insults at him over and over, and the only thing you can do about that is ask your sidekick to come up with a good insult for you because you're bad at it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Seriously. Take it to the other thread if you must. We will learn all we need to know about King over the next 3 or 4 chapters, let the story tell itself.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Parrotine posted:

Is it drawn by Murata as well? Or maybe he hired another professional artist to do the heavy lifting?

No, it's drawn by ONE, but don't let that stop you. Mob Psycho 100 is a treasure:

His art is also a lot more consistent than it was in One Punch Man, original flavor. It's goofy in most places, but it looks just fine and it is very clear what is going on at all times. And every so often, ONE just knocks it out of the park with effort:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

RareAcumen posted:

He still has eyebrows right?

No, he doesn't. Its just his brow ridge.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Vengarr posted:

So what exactly happened to the new chapter? Wasn't it supposed to come out early this month?

The new chapter came out weeks ago. It wasn't new stuff with the Genos/Sonic fight, though, it was an intermediate chapter after the Boros arc: http://bato.to/read/_/306047/onepunch-man_v7_ch36.5_by_nerieru-scans

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
All harm delivered to Saitama is exactly equal, regardless of the source. A mosquito is exactly as dangerous to him as Boros ever was.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Daler Mehndi posted:

If Tatsumaki is 28 (:psyduck:), how old is her sister?

I think she's 25, but I'm not going to re-read all of ONE's version right now to check. If her age is mentioned there it'll get mentioned eventually in this version.

And Tatsumaki's just got dwarfism, plain and simple.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Parrotine posted:

That's.......actually a little embarrassing to be honest.

ONE isn't even half the artist Murata is, so it shouldn't take him anywhere near as much time to draft up a story arc compared to Murata.

I know that One Mob Psycho (?) is his baby and all, but he's gonna have to start stepping up his quota now that he has a television show and Murata's version hot on his heels.

Can't be lazy with your series anymore ONE, you got responsibilities now!

He does have responsibilities but it is the exact opposite of what you think they are. One Punch is something he draws as a hobby. Mob Psycho is something that he draws as a job. He has deadlines, and editors, and a manager when working on Mob Psycho. It isn't his fault that his hobby comic basically hit it mega-huge after he'd been working on Mob for a year already. So basically what this guy said:

Serious Frolicking posted:

OPM is a webcomic, mob psycho is a published work that one is being paid for. He can't just ditch mob psycho to put out opm faster.

He has deadlines and paychecks riding on Mob Psycho. One Punch Man is just a hobby side story he writes for fun. Of course he's slowed down on it as work on his other comic picked up. That's how life and responsibilities and prioritizing works.

And if you think OPM is worth more than Mob Psycho, buddy, you should go read Mob Psycho.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Mraagvpeine posted:

Which did he start doing first: Mob Psycho 100 or OPM?

OPM by about a year, and then he got serialized to work on Mob Psycho 100. OPM at that point is only a webcomic. About 6-8 months after that, Murata started on the OPM redraw, and his version of OPM is a serialized work.

OPM was his hobby comic until he got a real job, and then OPM became someone else's real job while he was working on Mob.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Zzulu posted:

Have we had a god level threat yet?

Boros and Asura Rhino would definitely count, but Saitama met them before an official announcement could be made :toot:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

HenryEx posted:

I'm impressed by Garou's non-euclidean post-it wall.

Or maybe he has Watchdog listed twice 'cause he's that much of a threat.

It's even worse than that, you can easily make out King and Tatsumaki in the zoomed out wall too, and they're both to the south-east of Watchdog Man. Almost in a straight line, even, with lots of space between each of 'em.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Keeshhound posted:

Who would voice Saitama? I feel like it would need to be someone with a completely indistinct voice, but I can't think of anyone in the industry who that'd work for.

Saitama should be voiced by the studio's janitor.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

lowercase16 posted:

Totally. I honestly figured he'd be voiced by a woman doing a man voice.

Japan's stereotypes for men are basically the reverse of those in the west. Toned, effeminate men are the height of masculinity and straight-ness, while muscley beefcakes are extremely homosexual and lady-like. So it makes total sense that they'd cast Speed of Sound with a deep, manly voice, because he is the straight man's ideal.

Pri-pri Prisoner, on the other hand, is going to have a very high voice for a man, because he is musclebound and gay.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I think my favorite touch up from manga-to-anime conversion is this neat bit:

I love how they're animating Genos using his rocket hands to propel himself all over the place. We see him do it for super jumps all the time in the manga, but nothing like this rocket powered roundhouse, and it's really cool.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Aurain posted:

Isn't it more that he's depressed because he can't realise his full potential because he's that good and would annihilate the galaxy rather than he's depressed because he's afraid to.

Well, he was depressed even before becoming superhuman. It's just that he really expected strength and the struggle of combat would cure his depression and it didn't, which makes him even more disappointed in where his life has gone.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
12 episodes would not be nearly enough to cover all of the Garou arc, we're only like 1/3rd through it in the Murata redraw right now. To go from Boros to the end of Garou (which would include everything with King and Blizzard to start off the season, so that'd be 4 or 5 episodes) would definitely take a two-cour 26 episode season, at MINIMUM. It might even need to be longer than that, since Murata is adding even more to the arc, but 20 episodes of Garou Arc seems reasonable.

A part 2 of the anime featuring the Garou arc would be like, 2 years out from now, when Murata finally finishes the redraw of it all.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 2, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Genocyber posted:

I always figured it was because, in the OPM universe, it seems being super intense about something can physically change you, like with Krabante there. Saitama was super serious about his training, so he got incredible power.

It's better if it's never actually explained, though.

The caveat is that becoming super intense also makes you a monster. I think Saitama managed to avoid that by never becoming TOO intense - he's just not enough into it to become a monster. He's a hero as a hobby, after all.

Also he seems to be fighting undiagnosed chronic depression so that could also be holding him back from getting too into it.

But like you said, this is all better if it's never explained, and this is all just projected theory crafting.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

People can talk about filler all they want, but this was a great chapter.

Yeah this extra content rules. I can't even call it filler - in ONE's version, there was a timeskip after the Tank Top Master fight with Garou going "I've hunted a bunch of heroes now." before moving on to the next part of the story. I'm really glad we're seeing a lot more of the Hero Hunt, because Garou is really really good and cool. It's also a good chance to flesh out all these other heroes, like Metal Bat, Golden Ball, and Spring Mustache, who are also very good and cool.

It's filler in only the most technical sense and this bonus content is adding in extra plot and more backstory and that is awesome.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 14, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh god, Common Rider's Last Stand is gonna be painful :ohdear:

I think that moment at the end of the Sea King arc is the number one thing I am most looking forward to of the anime's run, even more than I am looking forward to the Boros fight or the S-Class heroes. The entire Sea King series of fights just does so much to establish how heroic the heroes really are, but Common Rider stands above everyone else. That part's gonna hurt, but it will be such a good hurt.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
My guess is the eventual second season will have a bunch of those side stories in between the King Arc, Blizzard Arc, and the downtime during the long Garou Arc, and just mix them in whenever there is airtime to fill. Basically all of them can happen at any time.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Nahxela posted:

I think this episode skipped Bang protecting Genos from some meteor shrapnel, unless I just wasn't paying attention. A pretty minor thing, but I wanted to see more of animated Bang.

That part was still in the episode, he just did it in a much more boring way. While in the manga he deflected the incoming meteors and shielded Genos from any harm, the anime just had him grab Genos and run. Bang just dodged the meteors instead of punching them out of the sky. It works, but it isn't nearly as cool. Oh well, we'll be getting more from Bang by the end of this season.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

RatHat posted:

They're probably saving the budget for the Sea King and Boros.

Yeah that's almost certainly what's going on here. I'd much rather they skimp a bit on the Meteor episode if it means they'll put that effort into the Sea King episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Logikv9 posted:

Ah, any easy way to keep updated on that?

Read the Shonen Jump releases instead, I'm pretty sure they only release stuff when he's done tinkering it.

Or else follow this thread closely, because we usually post about it.