Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Has the UK/Eu prices for Oracle of Ages/Seasons been released yet? I've been looking online and I can only find the American prices

You can bet your life on it being 1$ = 1€

Unless you're UK in which case I dunno, but I think it's usually something like $5 = £4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I was going to post that. But now I can post this:

Holy poo poo the credits song :swoon: it is so gooood.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Shoopuf posted:

That's just completion. If memory serves, linking to the next game gives you four hearts at start (and possibly the wooden sword without having to wait for an event)?

It also gives you the opportunity to get some nice items like the master sword (which you can subsequently upgrade to the biggoron's sword by going back to the first game).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Not quite as good as Superstar Saga, though obviously it has a few in improvements in ease of use and the graphics are way better, but it's much better than the sadly quite dull Partners in Time.

Obviously just my opinion here, and I didn't play SS when it was released, only recently, but I think it has aged rather poorly and is in fact worse than Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team. Maybe not in writing, though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Sega's VC stuff might, but Nintendo's definitely doesn't.

Except on the WiiU, where you can map anything to anything, multiple times if you want, or even autofire. The WiiU emulator is some serious poo poo. In fact it's so much better than the 3DS one I can't believe they're from the same house. I guess the 3DS doesn't have enough power to run a robust backend and accurate emulation at the same time (remember, Nintendo is very particular about their emulators. The Sega-made ones probably aren't as accurate. Baseless speculation though). Or more likely they just don't give a poo poo.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is there anything about Inazuma 3 that somehow makes it worse than all the other ones? I've been interested but never played one.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

What about the eShop in Europe? Any idea if it follows the NA time schedule or it's seperate (and in this case, which timezone)?

This was answered is the other thread, it updates midnight CET (GMT+1).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Check out this kickass trailer for Super Castlevania IV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO-yjleYlVE

Somebody at the marketing department loves their castlevania, because the trailer shows off moonwalking on the stairs, and the invisible stairs! They even chose the best music.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm not saying that if an emulator doesn't have a high rate of compatibility that it's terrible (although a lot of people would), but if a Nintendo-made emulator doesn't, it would be below-standard for a professional effort. These guys are the people who SHOULD know the ins and outs of the hardware, because they built it. Some dude in a basement can figure it out faster than they can? In an era where computers struggled to run Fury3? I don't buy it.

Caution: I might be talking mostly out of my rear end here, but this is how I understand it.

Well, Nintendo definitely does stagger releases for no apparent reason. But they do also have to config each game separately. You see, the kind of emulator that's available for free to us, like say ZSNES, will work fine with 99% of games and do what you want. But, the emulation isn't accurate. If you want accurate snes emulation, as in the computer virtually simulating every single part of the SNES architecture, you need lots and lots of processing power. In fact, the WiiU isn't powerful enough for it. So they need to use shortcuts, leading to inaccurate emulation. And inaccurate emulation leads to glitches. They might be just little graphical/audio glitches, like a certain sound effect getting a little blown out, or a graphics effect not being quite right. But Nintendo doesn't want these things to be there, because this is a product you buy and expect to be completely equivalent to the original. So they spend time optimising the emulator for individual games, so they can take shortcuts in the places that don't concern that game and get all of the things that do concern it done right.

And that is the long-winded explanation of why each VC game comes with its own emulator.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

They "literally" print money!? Why didn't anyone tell me this!?

Google posted:

literally
/ˈlɪt(ə)rəli/
adverb
adverb: literally
  • in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
    "the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the roundabout"
    synonyms: verbatim, word for word, line for line, letter for letter, to the letter; More
    antonyms: loosely, imprecisely, metaphorically
  • informal
    used for emphasis while not being literally true.
    "I have received literally thousands of letters"

:negative:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It might delete your save file though. Back it up just in case!

If you try to delete a game you haven't backupped, it will ask you to back up its saves first.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

If I want a fun platformer that looks great, should get I get Rayman Origins or DKCR? Are there appreciable differences between the two or are they both just jump manz games?

Rayman Origins is bad on the 3DS because of resolution problems, so go for DKC.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Is the first NES Remix worth getting? I see the sequel getting better marks.

Also I am kind of taken in with Rustys Real Deal Baseball. What the gently caress is wrong with me?

If you would enjoy 2 you would enjoy 1. The games are older and less gooder but the challenges are so short you don't really get to experience the bad game design.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zip posted:

So how is it? I've been dying for a new golf game? Is it three click controls or a swing system with the analog stick?

It's exactly like the gamecube game. A to swing, A again for power, A or B for a third time if using manual for accuracy and to set spin. AA for topspin, AB for super topspin, etc. Also, you can hold the circle pad in a direction to influence where you hit the ball. You can do all of this on the touch screen but I didn't bother finding out how it works because gently caress touch controls.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Astro Nut posted:

...Its been a few weeks since I last played Superstar Saga, but I'm pretty sure that game came with a few different filter options, so why wouldn't a Metroid game?

1) GBA emulator is not SNES emulator.

2) This has nothing to do with anything, but please stop starting 90% of your posts with ellipsis, it is very slowly driving me mad.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

That's odd. As someone who didn't like the Layton games, I found LxW to be far too much of a Layton game to bother with. Not enough AA.

Typically, AA consists of half courtroom and half investigation. This game is slightly more than half investigation, only it's presented as a Layton game and occasionally there are puzzles. If you think of it that way, it's ALL Ace Attorney!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Did you forget Shantae from the PAL update, or this another indie game that's taking its time getting over here?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

less laughter posted:

There is no release date yet for PAL.

Great. Fantastic. I guess I shouldn't look forward to games anymore or they won't get released when I think they will.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'd like to point out that although Pandora's Tower technically has CC support, it's terrible. The game is designed ground up for the wiimote, as you can tell because there's no camera controls, only like three action buttons, and a goddamn Mario Galaxy style pointer that you're forced to control with the second stick. I guess if you really hate yanking the wiimote to rip your chain you could use it but sheesh, it's bad and pointless.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

My favorite thing about Freedom Plane is how the characters aren't actually the dev's design; they're from some other person's deviantart or wherever people post art. He just used them (with permission) because he's a self-admitted terrible character designer and he wanted some eye-catching designs for the main characters.

(The game is pretty fun)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Spike Chunsoft needs to stop making creepy games and make the third loving Zero Escape game, drat it!

This is impossible, because Zero Escape is creepy as poo poo. They should still make one though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I am never going to replay those games so I'll take your word for it.

I can't wait for the 3D collectathon amateur unity garbage renaissance.

This but unironically. It will produce at least one good 3d exploration platformer and it will all have been worth it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you're down about the Zelda delay, you should definitely buy Pandora's Tower! It's got some slightly esoteric mechanics but at its core is just a really good Zeldalike with no overworld but lots and lots of dungeons. On the side there's a pretty entertaining dating sim where you chat with your love, give her gifts, and decorate your temporary home. I never finished the game but I got pretty far and as far as I can tell it's not that hard to max out her affection gauge (which you do need to do for at least one ending) so you shouldn't let that stop you from enjoying the rest of the game.

Oh, and there's also a constant time pressure mechanic, I know some people are allergic to those so be warned. You need to carry best flesh from the tower back to the girl with regularity or your game's over, so you need to pace your expeditions to reasonable chunks.

The game is really poo poo with the Classic Controller though, there's a pointer mechanic so you just move the pointer with the right stick and it's way too slow and clumsy to do stuff. Make sure to have a wiimote.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh, I would have finished it, the problem was that I moved away from the one WiiU I had access to. I might have to buy one finally whenever Zelda comes out.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Any impressions of Elliot Quest? It looks okay but I may have had enough of retro looking platform puzzlers by now.

For what it's worth, Jonathan Metts and Neal Ronaghan of http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/ (which is a pretty good site if you like Nintendo games) have been singing its praises on their podcast, and they have a review. From what I hear, it's actually a really good throwback to Zelda 2, Kid Icarus and the like, but with that throwback also come accurate NES difficulty, i.e. you will have no idea where to go and once you get there you will die a lot.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lodin posted:

They made two Mystical Ninja games on the 64, one 2D platformer I didn't think was that great and a loving awesome 3D platformer very similar to Mario64. The latter I still play through about once a year just for the insane cutscenes.

I'm sorry, but Goemon 2 is literally the best 2D platformer on the system. Not that the competition is too stiff (Yoshi's Story, Mischief Makers, ???). But the graphics are amazing, the gameplay is good and you've got four characters to differentiate it up, the level designs sprawl in the third dimension and almost always have branching paths. It's not just a simple level-based platformer either, you've got hub towns with sidequests and secrets, and there's a mild collectathon aspect which I always love. And of course, the story is still insane and you've still got giant robot fights and the entire game can be played co-op. What's not to love???

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok yes, I agree, that is the only thing about the game not to love. I was always extremely confused by that part as a kid because the song also doubles as a cutscene introducing you to giant robots, so without it one minute you're fighting a boss and then the next, suddenly you're in the cockpit of... something and the controls are really confusing and what even is this.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Shingeki no Kyojin: Humanity in Chains - €29.99 / £34.99 (includes free menu theme)

Is this a typo, or did they really gently caress over GB?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The 3D effect in Gunstar Heroes is ridiculous

Sakurazuka posted:

Sorry I can't buy Gunstar Heroes because then I'd lose my one play of 3DS Miku.

You lasted all of 7 hours. A pretty disappointing performance.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

Hahaha, Wayforward figures out what side their bread is buttered on and stops worrying about gameplay entirely.

They posted this

and then this

on their Tumblr, so look forward to the Mighty Switch Force: Academy spinoff where you date police cadets.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Anora posted:

According to that card, Patty is just shy of 4 years old.

She's a robot anyway so her date of "birth" shouldn't matter much.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zat posted:

Yes, it does. Graphically it's not pretty but the gameplay holds up really well. In some ways it's more polished than in A Link to the Past (except for the fact that you only have buttons for two items, including your sword and shield, so you'll be swapping items a lot).

I'd say pretty much its only problem are the unskippable instructional messages that always appear when you meet an obstacle you can't move or destroy yet or find a powerup or a map or a compass; this is even more annoying than you'd think.

But it's a great game, seriously.

I'd say the biggest problem is having to play it either on the circle pad (which is really imprecise when it's mimicking a d-pad) or the dinky 3DS d-pad, neither of which is really optimal for such an action-oriented game. I feel bad saying this, but I'd rather just emulate it so you get to play with a proper controller. This also applies to a lot of 3DS VC games.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

as a person who thinks binding of isaac is a stupid game and is bad, it's fun to watch nicalis botch the port

Why would you wish bad ports upon other people who just want to enjoy their games? What kind of vitriolic monster are you?!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm sure it's fine, I just never see anyone talking about it one way or the other.

The same team at Square made a Wii version that includes basketball, volleyball, dodgeball and hockey. I don't think anyone anywhere played that one.

I know somebody played it because there's a youtube video of it's weird-rear end final boss fight with a behemoth (from final fantasy, yes. also yes this sports game has a boss fight):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt91g5vEQKY

It also has cool music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ij2RGGBtc

Seems like a pretty alright game, really. Too bad you need to have friends to enjoy it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Augus posted:

Free DLC is the best DLC, especially for a great game like Shovel Knight

When did we start calling content patches free DLC?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Augus posted:

How do I access this content patch without downloading it?

Look, can't I be a crotchety old man for a second and complain about how back in my day we called them patches or updates and liked it?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Apropos of nothing, I want to say I really appreciate that Nintendo is still doing the intermittent updates to the eShop theme. Like here's the latest one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZiR9Aln_dk

Some of the best elevator music of our time is coming from eShop music updates that Nintendo appears to do for the hell of it. I wonder what the story is behind them. Is there a composer who does these every few months for fun?

Help Im Alive posted:

My Pokemon Yellow advice - put Pikachu in the PC the first chance you get

What, and lose the adorable follower sprite? Fat chance. I want to talk to my Pikachu and heart it say "Pika!" in an incredibly compressed voice.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The actual reason being of course that they didn't want to design more clothes for the ORAS protagonists when they could get away with not doing so.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

HenryEx posted:

The gently caress are these barber poles glued to her head

What, you're telling me you haven't ever seen oversized pigtail-like hair appendages before?

(I think these ones look more like food actually.) It happens kind of a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I hope they have a way to retroactively register games.

Your games are already on your NNID so unless you're talking about something else or Nintendo is a dumb idiot about this (doubtful at this point but hey, it could happen) your licences should just transfer over.