Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Anybody else been to a live audition (and bombed the hell out) and heard back after an online test at some point after that? I figure I'm blacklisted for life after stinking up the place years ago (mid-2014, i know i was tremendously dull even by J!-player standards), haven't heard a peep since and I'm pretty sure I've gone 45+/50 on the online test in the 8-10 instances since. Figured I'd ask here since apparently this thread is running over with J!-competing Goons (grats and retro good luck to all!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

What is considered a 'pass' on the screening tests? 40/50?

Nobody that knows For Sure has publicly said, but pretty much everybody thinks it's 35/50, at least for the online one. The live one, who knows, they're evaluating your whole package at that point

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I can't believe they don't know who Conan the Barbarian is.

I also can't believe someone knows multiple Chainsmokers songs.

No shame, only points, baby

Also, online testing happening April 9-11, register now! Or don't! https://www.jeopardy.com/be-on-j

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

HookShot posted:

Ugh, I watch Jeopardy because I want to answer questions, not to watch things about contestants, even the ones I like.

(Go team Julia!)

Same! I'm hoping for at least backbreaking difficulty on a lot of the questions today to make up for it

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Poque posted:

Agreed, I'm ready for the tiger claws furry DJ to come back and dominate some more. Also gently caress Buzzy

Oh hell yeah, I forgot we haven’t seen him in ToC yet.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

The Sean posted:

My partner and I randomly found Jeopardy on Hulu back in November and it reignited our interest in the show and we've been watching every new episode since. I used to watch as a kid and didn't get any of the answers, of course. It's really refreshing to be able to answer them now as an adult, though (outside of the tournament of champions, of course).

This is the first I've looked at the thread here, though, and I noticed the "how to get on jeopardy" link in the OP broken. Here's an updated one: https://www.jeopardy.com/be-on-j.

edit: speaking of, are there any training resources around? I know there are categories I don't know poo poo about, like opera and musicals, that I could just scan Wikipedia for basic details but there've got to be easier ways to cram for this knowledge. I know there's j-archive but it doesn't seem to be designed specifically for training.

In this order:

1) State Capitals
2) Presidents
3) World Capitals
4) Shakespeare

As far as resources, I can't recommend Bob Harris's Prisoner of Trebekistan enough. There's better books for cramming facts, but that's by far the best resource to start getting familiar with the whole process and does a great job of teaching clever ways to learn lists and stuff without going down the memory palace path.

If you just want to cram, Steven Ferrill's Game Show Trivia is very useful. Tons and tons of important (and less important) lists. There's a few errors in the book, but there's a new revision every couple years so you'd think they'll work them out eventually.

There's also the classic tome How to Get on Jeopardy!... and Win which, at this point, is 20 years outdated so the information isn't all up to date (or useful) but the process hasn't changed much and it's still the same general areas of study.

Finally, Secrets of the Jeopardy! Champions is a good book, and they put out a revised edition a couple years ago on kindle that's formatted horribly and unreadable. The old paperback is only a couple bucks most places though.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Any goons going to LA auditions next month? Got my email yesterday

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

I think if you're smart enough to win nearly a million bucks on Jeopardy in a few weeks you're pretty awesome. It's about the game. It ain't the Bachelor.

I think more people should play to win on the bachelor

e: Speaking of, I wonder if Chris Harrison is going to find a new game show now that millionaire's dead (i think?). Really enjoy him in the hosting role

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I really hope he gets his average over 77000, that would be wonderful

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Spraynard Kruger posted:

There's a Vox.com article from the other day talking to some of the folks who have had to face off against James so far: https://www.vox.com/first-person/2019/5/4/18529311/jeopardy-holzhauer-ken-jennings

One weird thing about it is this:

How the heck would he know to take off from his job a year in advance?

I mean, it's understandable that people are sour grapes-y about it, especially the people he beat--but it's not like he's some rich guy who on a whim decided to destroy america's favorite institution, he's obviously a long time trivia buff and even if he did devote a year to preparing for jeopardy, whatever, that makes him more deserving of winning, not less.

(obviously, yes, eat the rich, etc)

anybody else auditioning this week? i'm in LA on friday

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Drone Jett posted:

Unfortunately I don't the pen clicking is going to be a helpful simulation. You need something to indicate the "go" light that allows you to click in, which to be realistic is going to usually get stepped on immediately after by the actual contestants ringing in.

I hate more than anything that they don't display the lights on on TV

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Because he is basically a sociopath who had zero chance of winning but constantly stirred up controversy, which means he was dragged along (twice, he appeared in back to back seasons) to the final because the other contestants knew he wouldn't receive a single vote. Which translates to great ratings because everyone just wants to see a meteor fall out of the sky to smite him (or get voted off, which never happened).

Kind of off-topic, but after he lost three times on American survivor he went to Australian Survivor and got voted off second with an idol, rest in poo poo russell

Also, yeah, to the point, I don't have anything against James but the episodes do get boring when he's way ahead but doesn't have enough to set a new record. But, I mean, if it continues into next season that's on the casting folks--they know they need to get game players onstage instead of insipid erudite walking textbooks.

Regardless, teachers tournament is going to be a nice break and hopefully evenly-matched. First time I'm excited for it in years.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

If I was a contestant, sure I'd like to make the producers and Alex happy, but I think I'd rather have 1.6 million dollars.

I think there’s differences between daily double hunting, starting with the high value clues, and just bouncing around the board to confuse your opponents (and J! crew). The value of the first two is obvious and the third is just kind of obnoxious and weird

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah but compare jeopardy to say learned league.

Cheating isn’t rampant in Jeopardy tho

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

One More Week until the James Era resumes

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I need someone from the future to tell me when James loses, so I can start watching Jeopardy again.

not actually a spoiler, just speculation:
ken's loss was leaked almost immediately, and this was at the very beginning of widespread social media--i think there's no chance james has lost and it hasn't leaked, at this point--you're probably good to tune out for the remainder of the season

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

A Tasteful Nude posted:

I wouldn’t go that far, but it was such a strange move in final - you know at least two things about James: he’s going to bet big, and he’s more likely than most to come up with the correct answer. If you’re playing for James to get it wrong because you assume you know nothing about Jazz, why not bet nothing? But he’s rarely wrong, so why not bet nearly everything? Why 10,000?

Maybe some jep strategy pro in here can help explain the potential reasoning.

$10k covers both the case where they both miss AND the case where James bets nothing (this obviously isn't going to happen, but who knows, maybe James is zorevophobic, why not cover the possibility). If James gets the question right, Nate can't win, so any number that covers a zero bet if correct and doesn't take him below James betting to cover and missing is equally fine. He has to wager at least $5401 and not more than... $14000, i think?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

I was baffled why both didn't go all in, because if it was me I would assume the other guy would be doing that. But neither did so I guess they were both right not to? I dunno.

James doesn't have to go all-in, he just has to bet enough to beat Nate's all-in.

Because Nate knows James has to bet enough to cover his all-in, Nate can then second-level and bet low enough that he wins if they both miss.

This is the case any time the second place player has more than 2/3 the leader's score, if they have less than that (but more than 1/2, otherwise it would be a runaway) they need to get it right AND the leader has to miss.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

jennings even lost on an easy final. it's possible something like that dooms james as well.

Through 28 games, Ken missed 10 FJs, James has missed a grand total of one (and it was "were you cognizant of celebrities in 1982").

James is definitely beatable with enough skill and luck but it's unlikely he misses "H&R block" or whatever, someone will probably need to go into FJ leading to beat him

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Did you guys do two written tests, too? Curious if that's every group or if I was just lucky like that.

We did two in LA, may... 10th?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That said, I get it. Each time I try to figure out what I would do and it's usually way higher. The woman I just saw end her 6 game streak in one game was at like 16,000 and the next highest was 5000ish and she only wagered 1000. I get it....but I'd probably wager more like 6000 so I still have double second place so I can go into final unable to lose, but I stand to win so much more if I get it right.

Buzzy Cohen mentioned that in his runaway wins he just slammed $0 and didn't think about it -- one less decision to make in a stressful day of back-to-back games.

Then again, if you're a certain Professional Gambler From Las Vegas Nevada and you correctly FJ 97% of the time, it's probably wise to make hay while the sun shines.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

To momentarily derail us from this absurd slap-fight over whether or not rich people have advantages in life, how do folks think the ken/brad/james showmatch is going to go?

will it just be a 3-player X game "Total Point Affair" or something, or will they do a big tournament with other players included? Also, are they ever going to make legitimately challenging questions for this stuff? Like, in the all-star two-game final there were only 10 clues that went unanswered total, and that was with significantly weaker players (relatively, obv) taking some of the rounds. Let's get crazy. Ask some absolutely wild poo poo for half the questions. Anything to get it away from being a pure buzzer race.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Cockblocktopus posted:

:siren: Hot take :siren:: Brad wins, Ken comes in third, everybody continues to forget that Brad exists and talks about how James finally beat Ken.

Every time Brad’s on TV I say “alright, THIS time he won’t win” (because he’s been absurdly fortunate in so many spots) (as anyone with that streak would have to be) and then I’m wrong!

So yeah I’m with you

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Got the call, excited to join the legions of J! goons — any advice? (besides study, practice wagering, etc) I’ve read most of the books and been to a couple tapings

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Poison the breakfast at the double tree the morning of.

I mean, i AM an alternate my first time around...

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Every time i see a tweet from somebody with an avatar of alex and themselves i'm invariably gritting my teeth before i even finish it.

Like, good lord, base your identity on something else, you were a one-day champion in 1995.

This obviously isn't directed at you GS just kind of a general gripe at the (very loud) former contestants who shoehorn in their personal experience every time someone says "Jeopardy" or "alex trebek" or "what is" and make the hashtag impossible to follow when i'm watching an episode live

"don't mess with the J! street boyz" is... wonderful.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Pro tip: go on a moribund show like yours truly (Millionaire in 2018). Nobody saw it, and nobody cares enough to ask about it! I wasn't recognized in public one time

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

HookShot posted:

Alex Jacob won $20k on HQ and they're not paying him.

I mean, I doubt they actually have $20k to pay him with anymore but that sucks for him.

They didn't pay any of the five winners from that day, and they wiped them all from the leaderboard so it's clear they have no plans to.

HQ is definitely insolvent

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Timby posted:

HQ was founded by the idiots who came up with Vine and whose sole purpose is to scam money out of VC investors, what did you expect?

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1148329047392432129

J! STREET BOYZ coming for you, HQ

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

There were seven 4x champs that got passed over for this ToC, but Dave Leffler is the only one who outscored Emma. I think the other 6 are likely out of luck unless there's a massive superchamp next season, there's a bunch of people that don't get past 3 wins, or they hold the ToC very early.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Could also be a scheduling thing that one or all of them did get an invite but had to pass because of a prior commitment. Doesn't seem really likely, but it is possible.

I think given that it's capped at 15 and they really wanted Emma, it's just how the cards fell (since they waited so long since the last one)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

abelwingnut posted:

is there a list of who's in?

from jboard:

Kyle Becker: 4x $63,802 - Out
Gilbert Collins: 5x $84,201 - In
Rachel Lindgren: 5x $75,999 - In
Ryan Fenster: 7x $156,497 - In
Rob Worman: 6x $133,900 - In
Dhruv Gaur: College $100,000 - In
Larry Martin: Teacher $100,000 - Out (deceased)
Josh Hill: 7x $163,721 - In
Kyle Jones: 7x $145,403 - In
Alex Schmidt: 4x $92,880 - Out
Alan Dunn: 5x $120,802 - In
Mary Ann Borer: 4x $86,500 - Out
Dave Leffler: 4x $100,102 - Out
Jackie Fuchs: 4x $87,089 - Out
Jonathan Dinerstein: 4x $93,301 - Out
Anneke Garcia: 4x $104,497 - In
John Presloid: 4x $92,200 - Out
Eric R. Backes: 4x $105,602 - In
Lindsey Shultz: 4x $101,002 - In
Steven Grade: 5x $115,501 - In
James Holzhauer: 32x $2,462,216 - In
Francois Barcomb: Teacher $100,000 - In
Emma Boettcher: 3x $97,002 - In

4x champs not in:
Kyle, Alex, Mary Ann, Dave, Jackie, Jonathan, John.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I'm ok with Emma being in it.

If I were one of those four day champs my opinion might be a bit different, though.

sounds like they should have won a fifth game!

They wouldn't have been in there anyway if Larry Martin hadn't passed, so ... I guess they can watch next season and root against anyone who wins 3 in a row

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Timby posted:

Oh my God, only an idiot could have missed today's Final.

yeah, i could see *maybe* not being able to pull the author but they didn't even ask for it!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Timby posted:

Nope, but the kiddy college student made a stupidly low wager

It was fine

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Not sure if I've ever seen the situation they were in near the end of the second round: the only $2,000 clue left has to be the Daily Double, and you'd have to be pretty confident based on what's happened in that category (Lieder) so far that no one is gonna get it right. Her $2,000 bet was pointless to me -- just bet $0, but I'm wondering if an even better play would be to go back to one of those $400 clues, keep your hand off the buzzer, and let someone else trap themselves with it, assuming that contestants are in general very reluctant to do the $0 bet even when they really should.

To unhelpfully quibble, the minimum wager on a DD is $5

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

it’s funny how terry kniess lied to every media outlet about how he won.

a price is right superfan in the audience gave him the prices. the guy made spreadsheets of all the prizes and prices and even coded his own computer version of the game to practice. he’s helped others win huge and it sucks for him because the time he got on he didn’t win huge.

For anybody who hasn't watched "Perfect Bid", it's on netflix atm, highly recommended. I think it's also on amazon prime, but, you know, don't cross the picket line today or whatever.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Spokes posted:

Got the call, excited to join the legions of J! goons — any advice? (besides study, practice wagering, etc) I’ve read most of the books and been to a couple tapings

finally taped my (first??) episode(s??) this week! What a blast. I'll post again closer to airdate so everyone can watch and cheer and/or mock me.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Past contestants, how long before the show did you get the email with photos and such? i want to get my friends and family hyped up for my appearance in two weeks but J! hasn't been in touch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Spoilers for today's episode winner:

So with the knowledge that my episode is next Friday and that they tape five a day, I can confirm that I walked into the green room and recognized the current champ because he was in the episode i had just watched on my TV at home the day prior. It's a weird combination of season break and a long streak, but man is it intimidating. Does he lose in the next 4 games so I don't have to play him? I can't say, but I sure did hope so watching from the audience! See everybody out there in TV land in a week!