Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

hcreight posted:

drat. Can't say I've ever met a Mormon who swears casually and makes cancer jokes.

There's a Romney joke here that I'm not seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

If there's a tie, do both move on to the next episode? Does one of the people they originally cast for the next episode get the shaft in that case? That's kinda lovely if it's the case.

In the event of a tie, both competitors return. I think there's been at least one three way tie in Jeopardy history. And the other guy would still get on, he'd just have to wait an additional episode. It's not like he'd be permanently bumped off the queue.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

What's wrong with you all? Part of my main daydream of being on Jeopardy is being able to tell a semi-interesting anecdote about myself on national television.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

I know Jeopardy is traditionally bad about the difficulty of sports questions, but Babe Ruth was ridiculously easy.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Can we make a goon pact that if any of us get on air to not mention "stairs in your house" or otherwise embarrass ourselves?

edit: Chrome and Firefox both work.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

I know I got Coco Chanel and Annie Proulx wrong. But I knew Hunger Games. See, I'm not totally hopeless on girl-stuff.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

If those answers are right, I just went 47/50!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Island Nation posted:

(37 if they recognize my answer of purple=color purple)

They are unlikely to do this.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

The Monkey Man posted:

I got 40, 39 if they don't accept "distilling".

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I am in the exact same situation; hey at least it's a "D" word.

Jeopardy will accept different forms of a word, noun vs. verb, as long as they don't go against the category description (like Rhymes with *** or Contains ***).

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Somebody from CST better post the entire exam too.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

4. Brad Paisley
8. April
16. James Patterson
31. Jennifer Lawrence :swoon:
39. Millennium

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Ethiopia > in area than Somalia.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Pretty sure I did 5-10 pts better on the one I took than I would have on the other ones. EST is best.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

an adult beverage posted:

I did better than I thought too if that list is correct. I got 33 as well.

Does anybody know what the threshold is to call you for an audition?

If there is a threshold, I assume it'd be percentile based on top of probably geographic, demographic, and other criteria.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

escape artist posted:

Also, that was smart of the girl to wager $0 and just take the $21,600, even though it turns out she got the answer right anyway.

She would be quite attractive if she didn't dress like my 90 year old grandmother.

Deep down, the producers are seething at having to pay off another tie for her. Double prize money has to add up.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, when someone's asking for vowels when most of the puzzle is filled in, that's when they're just being obtuse. Spinning for more letters after you know the solution is an obvious and legit strategy, but of course there's always the danger of hitting bankrupt/lose a turn before you can cash in your fat bankroll on the answer.

A few weeks ago I saw someone finish a puzzle of "Albuquerque, New Mexico" when only the 'A' was filled in. I don't remember their specific circumstances around it, but that could be both a really smart and really stupid thing to do.

There are two buzzer rounds where the contestants ring in to answer, on either side of the contestants introducing themselves. That is probably what that was, since you can only buy a vowel with money you've earned in that round, so there's no other way for only a vowel to be on the board.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

funktopus posted:

Ughhh, the Teen Tournament starts one week from now. Guess I'm not watching for two weeks.
At least there's two weeks of Tournament of Champions after that.

You know what I love about the Jeopardy Teen Tournament? I keep getting older, and they stay the same age.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

HookShot posted:

I didn't really understand the question so I didn't come up with anything :(

Other than Best New Artist, Grammy Awards are awarded for Songs, Albums, and Performances and not Artists.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

This is why we need SA shirts to make a comeback.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Coldwar timewarp posted:

I still watch then to experience bij, and for the short moments of superiority I get before I realize they are in highschool(still no excuse for some questions, these are jeopardy contestants not "man on the street" interviews).

Please confine the word Bij to the Star Trek thread. Thanks in advance.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Barrett is scaring me. He's like a goddamn serial killer or something.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

FadingChord posted:

I was pretty positive it was Dublin (yes I know in hindsight that I am an idiot) but who the hell doesn't save at least $1? Especially the guy who was pretty decently in the lead; he could've bet conservatively to have twice the closest amount of money + $1 and still been fine. The best part of the episode was probably Trebek not being remotely flustered by the tie, but just turning straight to the camera: ":jerkbag:these guys:jerkbag:"

Because it's a tourney, they don't even get to pocket this money anyway, so the leader has zero incentive to bet the maximum.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Ken Jennings posted:

oh no a tragic development in the Hunger Games earlier this evening

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/299737292245983233

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Serves you right for picking out of order!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

This is Jeopardy!: Who is some guy in Normandy I JUST WON $75K

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

I missed it last night. Please tell me Colby advanced.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

escape artist posted:

I love the cute girls on Jeopardy :3:

[/nerdiest thing ever said]

Marry me, Kate Wadman

[/new nerdiest thing ever said]

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Punch Card posted:

Man I hope you were like 12 at the oldest when you registered for these forums.

What is 17?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

zakharov posted:

No Monica :(

no reason to watch now

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Soothing Vapors posted:

I will never kneel before your false prophet

*crotchchops*

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

I thought last night's episode was the championship final. What happens today? Do Colby, Kevin, and Kristen play again? I don't quite get it.

All tournament finals are two part episodes, winner goes to best combined two day score.

That's notable because when Leonard did his amazing "Normandy" answer on Final Jeopardy during the Teen Tournament, he was guaranteed to win that episode, but he could have actually been beat on two day total.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Per the J! Archive scores, for Part II of the final, if Nilai doubled up on Final Jeopardy and Leonard bets nothing, Leonard still wins that episode by about 8K. But Nilai is carrying a 16K lead from the prior episode, and would have won the overall final.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

escape artist posted:

That's what I meant-- aggregate score. Remember Leonard's FJ answer said "I just won $75,000!!!"

If Nilai had gotten it correct, Leonard would not have won the $75k, which makes his answer so much more ballsy. :clint:

I guess I could have been clearer that I meant he was guaranteed to win that episode. I was trying to explain how a two day playoff can be a difference maker versus a normal game based on carryover score.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Go Sara, Honorary Goon and Aubrey Plaza look-a-like!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Sarah has this in the bag. Guy next to her can't even pronounce his own name correctly.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

jscolon2.0 posted:

Sarah has this in the bag. Guy next to her can't even pronounce his own name correctly.

Ultimately I feel responsible for this.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Kiernan is a fine choice. No third WSoPC is bittersweet. On the one hand, it was great. On the other hand, the winners are friends of mine and they get to stay champs forever.

But yes, Jennings is the perfect choice and that he's not even in the running is inexplicable. This should probably be a White House petition by now.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Who won a batting title this last season was the hardest question in a category. Jeopardy sports make me so angry.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

He won the Triple Crown for the first time since the 60's, it was kind of a big deal

I'm not sure you get why this irritates me. It's way too easy to be the hardest question in a category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Island Nation posted:

That bothered me as well, you would think they would research the categories they write before taping.

Paging Sarah's boyfriend to the thread to tell us when her episodes were taped.