Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

iyaayas01 posted:

Oh, here's a short and sweet one: apparently calling a PME instructor a oval office will get you booted from ALS.

I don't believe that. I'm on break in ALS at the moment, let me try that and get back to you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Just heard this story from a coworker of mine who went golfing with one of our new airmen last weekend:

Their foursome had just teed off on the 3rd hole and were walking down the fairway when the fiscally irresponsible new airman tells them to hold up and let people play through. He runs off to the pro shop, and comes back a few minutes later with a brand new driver.

Right after he tees off on the 4th, he pauses, looks around, and says, "Anyone want to buy a new driver? I just realized my speeding ticket is due and I spent the last of my paycheck on this club." This was on Sunday, 2 days after payday.

This kid is never going to be allowed to move out of the dorms, that is, unless getting kicked out for allowing his quad in the dorms to become the party room, complete with beer pong table, smoke machine, and underage roommate counts as moving out.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
A guy in our shop was getting his bullets together for a quarterly awards package and submitted this gem to his supervisor:

"Took the Junior Enlisted Seminar class and now more I am more Self Improved."

Funny thing is, he's probably the hardest worker and one of the most skilled technicians in our office, but that kid cannot write a sentence to save his life.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Apparently Popeye's red beans & rice is known for being some of the best in the country. I dunno, I'm from Boston. But this recipe tries to recreate it, and god drat is it good.

edit- also, Charley's Philly chicken is delicious

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Pudgygiant posted:

We had a guy that everybody thought was an idiot, drat did he prove us wrong. Dude went through a 12 and a 15 month deployment and didn't spend a goddamn dime. Didn't ever go out when we were home, split internet with like 4 other dudes in the barracks, basically saved a poo poo ton of money. All through that 15 monther we asked him what the gently caress he's so determined to save for, keeps saying he's going to buy a Bentley, he's going to buy a Bentley. And goddamn it if he didn't have enough when we got home to buy a used Continental GT, pretty much straight cash. I guess he's an idiot for not realizing he'd be paying maintenance on a $200k car, but still, he wins at life.

Was this in SC? Because earlier in the year I saw a younger dude driving a Continental GT on Shaw AFB, and I just couldn't make any sense of it.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Affi posted:

Heard this story from a colleague of mine and I thought it fit right in here.

Basically sometime in the nineties, just after or during the Balkan war a Swedish tank company was training somewhere in Sweden. And their objective was to take a small village out in the middle of some field. They roll in, top speed, shooting (blanks) and screaming the whole way. Then people start evacuating these supposedly empty buildings, screaming at the top of their lungs. Running out over the fields clutching babies and belongings. Hundreds of them.

Apparently they had misread the maps and assaulted a refugee camp with survivors from the balkans.

I laughed at this, then felt guilty for laughing, then I laughed again. I'm not sure what to feel.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
You want to talk about a Humvee with a super-high center of gravity that always feels like it's going to fall over?

Granted, the tower cab lowers, but it's still pretty scary to take on the highway.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
MSN-7 mobile control tower and its generator truck. You can pull up to a dirt strip and turn it into a controlled airfield within an hour.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Wild T posted:

I've heard this story a million different ways since I came in in '02 and doubt it ever happened. The TIs even told us a version of it before we left. Honestly they'd probably figure "gently caress it, not my problem any more" and just call ahead to dude's tech school squadron so they can deal with the hassle.

No kidding- I never took the threat of being recycled that seriously when I was there. Most people don't realize that it costs a good amount of money to put people through basic. They aren't going to waste thousands of dollars sending you back a few weeks because your hospital corners or whatever weren't perfect.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Worst I can remember is inside the TACAN and ILS shelters on the airfield. They weren't really dirty though. Hell, the TACAN shelter was finished inside and air conditioned, along with having a locked door. And you'd have about a 5 minute warning of anyone coming because they would have to get permission from the tower to drive onto the airfield.

I guess behind the washers in the laundry room at BMT is pretty gross too.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

They were changing in the break/locker room and it looked :airquote:unprofessional:airquote:.

poo poo, during softball season, we would turn our office into a locker room after work on game days, hanging out, drinking beer and getting changed for the game. Our NCOIC was the one who came up with the idea.

The same MSgt who later got in trouble for loving another MSgt in our squadron while married. Whose wife tried to blackmail him, not knowing that he had set up a nanny cam at home while he was deployed and had footage of her loving some other AF dude. I think that led to an "amicable" divorce.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

gfanikf posted:

Oh I found an ad in an old comic for a service which exclusively financed jewelry purchases to only members of the military. I have to find it and scan it. It feels right at home here.

No need to scan it

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I remember reading a story here about a lost M9 in Iraq/Afg that lead to something like 2 deaths and a crashed helo searching for it. Does anyone remember that?

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Please, Texas is the rear end in a top hat of the US, Florida is the dong, and the Mississippi/Alabama coast is the humid, sweaty taint.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
My squadron's base civil engineer (who's an F-16 pilot one weekend a month) had to go TDY to an army base recently. From what I was told, he was getting legitimately pissed off from being saluted and called "Sir" everywhere he went. Also, he had to wear ABU's the entire time. Which has to be absolute torture for an Air Force fighter pilot.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
That's gotta be airsoft, right? Everything seems way to clean to be real.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Hremsfeld posted:

Citadel cadets fired on the Star of the West as she went to go supply Fort Sumter, so yeah they started the Civil War.

Edit: And a lot more traitorous poo poo besides just that: http://www.citadel.edu/citadel-history/brief-history.html#duringwbts

I’ve got a coworker who was there a few years ago when there was a string of racist messages being written on dorm room doors in their barracks. I asked him, a black dude, how that went. He said initially he wanted to bail, but decided gently caress that, I won’t let them win, and graduated. Apparently that sort of stuff isn’t uncommon there.

Meanwhile I’m considering applying there for my masters. Luckily I won’t have to deal with cadets.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Oh man if they’d let me smoke pot id be back in tomorrow.

I’m TDY with some Canadian Air Force guys, and it’s been fun talking to them about how they can now grow beards in uniform and smoke weed off duty.

I’m currently looking up how difficult it is to get Canadian citizenship.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That's my favourite part of being posted to Quebec, honestly. Franglais is a beautiful thing, and with each side mangling the others language, you actually do learn a fair bit just from puzzling out what buddy's trying to say.

I’m working with a Canadian unit right now, and from what their MWO was telling me, he’s never making chief because he refuses to learn French. He also went off on how Quebec is the most discriminatory, poo poo-talking province, and then continued on for a few minutes about how terrible they all were. We were supposed to have a unit from Quebec here, but they backed out. Too bad, because I’d love to have heard the other side of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Worst airport experience was flying out of Frankfurt a couple years ago. I got there a little early planning on getting through security and having a few beers before I got to my gate. Turns out, there weren’t any bars beyond the initial security gate. Then I got tagged for an additional security check going into the gate, where I was told I would need to go through that security check again if I left the gate area. No big deal, until the coffee I drank caught up to me and I realized that there were no bathrooms in the gate area. Having to go through extra security every time I needed to piss was worse than any TSA experience I’ve ever had.

The only fun part of that trip was when we were boarding the plane, the attendant made the courtesy “All active duty military can board first” announcement. The look of disgust and annoyance on the faces of the dozen or so people waiting in the premium fancy-pants exclusive line as a hundred people stood up and crowded their plane before they could board made the extra security checks worth it.