Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah plowshare owns. lets create man made bays by carving them out of our coastline via nukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

mods change my name posted:

I remember one of the stories the new e5 recruiter told me when I originally enlisted was about dudes like loving with cluster muntion duds in Kosovo or where ever and getting their legs blown off yet I still thought that this was an organization that I aspired to serve in

this is a feature not a bug for russian poo poo

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

My office is starting a leadership book club. I know if I tell them the truth about books on leadership (hot garbage for making money as a post career leader) nobody will listen. So what’s an actual good book on leadership, military or otherwise?

war is a racket by smedley butler

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

mods change my name posted:

I'm trying to remember the initial medical screening poo poo that we did to get kids in and I don't remember if night blindness was ever even a thing on it, though yeah I know its a category you can get on drivers licenses and poo poo

Don't you have to disclose medical conditions? I assume night blindness applies under that.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i started dying at the josh part

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i'd rather do a VA dead vets don't need benefits shirt thing

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Hang with all nobles.

No gently caress that. First of all I bet he wasn't cool with anybody that wasn't in his loving ole boys club. Second of all, still gross.

he created tiger force which is basically a SF unit for war crimes

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

If you commit a crime in the military but its not discovered until years later after you've gotten out what happens? Are you still subject to the UCMJ or do they have to find a federal law to charge you with as a civilian?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

When I was about to leave bootcamp there was a kid there with thick rear end dreads that I guess they couldn't figure out how to cut with clippers so this guy walking around with a massive amount of dreads and his cover just sitting on top a good half foot off his head.

I don't know what happened but I bet he hated life for a few days. I mean bootcamp stories are dumb but seeing a dude walking around in uniform with dreadlocks was pretty funny

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MrUnderbridge posted:

"Asking for a friend"?

Nah i was thinking what would have happened to the strap cutter on that airdrop if he had gotten out

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah thats what reminded me of it lol

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

enlisting is fine as long as you choose a good MOS. There is a world of difference between doing IT work in the air force and getting a security clearance, and going infantry in the marines.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

how exactly do you salvage or refloat a boat?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Man I went through 5 years in the marines and the only time I saw a ND was was during rifle qual and it was the pog unit doing the range next to us.

I think the other services don't beat people that gently caress up with weapons enough or something I dunno

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the 203 thing is fairly common with the orange training rounds due to the fact that there is less over sight than a live grenade range.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Japan is an awful country and their warhawks have been absolutely spoiling for a fight the past 10 years. I want them to get in a shooting war with someone and get their dicks stomped on so loving hard. I want to watch liveleak videos of helos with anime girls painted out the side getting blown up

also their food is bland compared to korean/thai/vietnamese etc

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Justin Bieber got in trouble a couple years back at the height of his hate-dom for taking a photo at a random Japanese shrine on his tour. It turned out to be the Yasukuni Shrine, which is basically a dedicated memorial to the worst war criminals of the imperial japanese army.

In his defense, why do they even have one of those.

because they never went through denazification and they remember ww2 the way the south remembers the civil war

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

if we hadn't dropped the nukes and scarred generations with their horror the world might have been more willing to use them in the cold war

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CainFortea posted:

McCarthur was all on board nukeing North Korea and/or China. He also didn't understand about fallout.

yeah but because the public was scared of nukes there was political pressure not to use them. The civilian population might not have found out about the existance of nukes for a decade if not more. Imagine a cold war with atomic weapons the public doesn't even know exist

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

A boot at my first unit got told to standby in his room while they decided which platoon to send him to and then they never did so he sat in his room for over a month

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the high points are really high but the lows are often and typically bottom out

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No officer has ever been promoted for finishing early or under budget.

well they have but that was back in WW2

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Honestly cows, goats, and possibly sheep are like the only farmed animals that don't have poo poo lives aside from very small scale chicken operations. Chicken and pigs are depressing and smell. Feed lots for cows are awful as well but that at least is only the very end of their life and not their entire existence.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I always find it funny how when you see a modern pic of SF dudes trying to blend they always have civilian tactical pants hiking boots and a plaid shirt but those dudes look like they're ready to get drunk in a shady club

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

The American civil war was a total clusterfuck. Using 50 year old tactics against pretty much modern weapons and basically just making it up as it went along.

There’s an account of a Prussian officer who came to observe and advise the Union and was horrified how far behind the US was and how much needless causalities both sides were taking since there was virtually no proper use of light infantry or calvary on top of the already poor leadership on all sides so battles would just drag on and on and turn into meat grinders.

you make it sound like europe learned something from their observers

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

my fav part of the military is the marines forcing the sgt thats been in for 10 years to live in the barracks but the 18 year old that got married to a chick he dated for a year in high school gets a house.

this was because all the line units had just gotten new barracks that were actually nice (for marine standards) except out battalion was only stood up for a few years and was stood down in 2012-13 so they obv didn't build us any so our VETERAN WARRIOrs are just living in loving cinder blocks for literallly 10 years of their lives in rooms where the lighting is as bright as a loving opium den

really though the marines pushed for unmarried NCOs to live in barracks because the civil engineers that designed the traffic leading into/out of base should be summary executed

PookBear fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 3, 2019

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nice and hot piss posted:

None of the guys in my guard unit ever got popped for weed.

Just Meth and Cocaine. I never got it because the dude who got popped for cocaine worked at Target, like you don't make cocaine money at Target when you work the floor.

The guy who got popped for meth was a "UFC fighter" who would do amateur fights. He also filled up his entire camelbak at annual training with orange juice which I think subsequently led to battalion urinalysis at 0400 like 24 hours later lol.

coke is evidently big in construction which makes no sense to me

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Flying_Crab posted:

Don’t bother, at least a decade ago it was a cesspool of the terrible mindsets we all hate from the military and the groupies/grifters that chase them.

yeah but thats every single online forum related to guns

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Also I found this through clicking on that article rat linked

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/11/three-recruits-died-sas-instructors-lost-control-training-exercise/

I guess if you die that means you fail selection

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

"Temperatures reached 26.3C from midday on the day of the march and had risen to 28.3C by 4pm. "

I thought that was supposed to be hot but 28.3c is only 83 fahrenheit lol

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I Demand Food posted:

This year's London Marathon had one death and several more people pass out and need medical assistance and the temperature never exceeded 73 Fahrenheit.

help im dyin its over 70 and only partially cloudy

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

also I'm really digging that SAS dudes purple shirt

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Jaguars! posted:

It's the final day of SAS selection. You'd be overheating even if the temperature was 0°C.

i wouldn't die of heat stroke in 83 degree loving weather lol

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I keep hearing about people getting in trouble at school or whatever for having a steak knife in their backpack accidentally. How does this keep happening?

i had some loose .22 rounds in my back pack I didn't find until after being in college for a year

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

HiroProtagonist posted:

Breaching rounds don't work that way, they're little metal fletchette type splinters in a mini sabot to maximize penetration of the (metal) and minimize spalling and ricochets after they straight up blast a hole in door hinges. They're designed to evaporate, not penetrate. If you wanted to murder anyone within 50m or more sure though

they're not flechettes good lord, they're a slug of metal powder pressed together with just enough heat to stick together but evaporate on impact

flechettes are the nail gun from quake

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

lazy dog bombs are small metal nerf footballs you dump out of planes and they 100% rely on gravity and come screeching in at 200 mph

Experimental Lazy Dog projectiles of various shapes and sizes were tested at Air Proving Ground, Eglin AFB, Florida, in late 1951 and early 1952. An F-84 flying at 400 knots and 75 feet (23 m) above the ground served as the test bed while a jeep and a B-24 were the targets.[4] The result was eight hits per square yard. Tests revealed Shapes 2 and 5 to be the most effective. Shape 5, an improved basic Lazy Dog slug, had the force of a .50 caliber bullet and could penetrate 24 inches (61 cm) of packed sand.[4] Shape 2 could penetrate 12 inches (30 cm) of sand—twice as much as a .45 caliber slug fired point blank.[4]

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Alright this story happened a long time ago so some of the details might be off. I swear that this story eventually ties into the military.

Back in 2005-2006 eve online was a new thing and it was the perfect game to goon rush. The initial period was one of much turmoil with many different goon groups rising, falling, and imploding not unlike orc tribes from warhammer. Finally a savior emerged as goon orc mentality saw the fattest and gooniest person and everyone rallied behind him. Dan Dargon AKA Remedial was a law school student who at the beginning was being supported by his parents whom I believe were also lawyers. Dargon however had a fatal flaw and could not resist the siren call of puerto rican pussy, largely because she was the first :female: to tolerate his presence much less spread her legs. Remedial's parents did not approve of their overweight manchild son dating an overweight puerto rican and once they became engaged decided to cut him off. Dear Leader now cutoff from his family check book and unable to get a fast food job as he couldn't understand the part where you give customers food instead of eating it asked goons for donations from his fellow eve goons so that he could pay rent, allowing him to continue playing space leader and going to law school. He was showered with a few thousand dollars and things were great for awhile. Soon however this was not enough, as he stole all the assets that his position as leader allowed him to get hands on and sold everything on ebay for more rent money.

A few years go by and he is mostly forgotten about. He has finished law school and found employment in a law firm. One of the goons that did not forget went looking for him elsewhere online, and found him on a swingers website and found a photo of our dear chubby manchild with his baby dick in hand. Naturally, goons took to faxing this photo of him holding his baby dick to his law office.

Another few years go by and he starts his own law firm dealing with mortgages, except that he does so illegally and is soon forced to shutter his office as he faces 300k in fines that he is unable to pay. And so he does the obvious thing: enlist in the army as infantry as an overweight failed Saul Goodman, resulting in what has to be the most over qualified company clerk in US history as I'm sure some 1st sgt cummed when he had access to PFC with a no poo poo law degree to do his paper work

http://badlawyernyc.blogspot.com/2011/07/im-not-really-happy-about-too-many.html

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dandargon/

PookBear fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Flying_Crab posted:

Updates? In theory he apparently isn’t past the RCP for SPC. :lol:

he hired one of those services that floods the internet with websites about you in order to make it hard to find the news articles