Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It just looks exactly like Super Mario World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In the sense that Super Mario World looks like Super Mario Bros 3 but with more colour depth, sure.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bisse posted:

oh god. okay, let's get technical!

Okay so when saving things we wanted to avoid referencing individual variables and writing to/from specific objects or global variables. Because if we did that, adding something new to the save data to be saved and loaded would be a bunch of technical steps for each single variable saved.

What we do instead is we have a big 'save data' data structure which is a map. Quest data, for example, simply reads to/from this data structure at the path "player.quests.QUESTNAME". Then, we simply save and load this data structure. This way, all you need to do to ensure your data is saved, is to store it in the save data structure, and then the game will automagically handle the rest.

There are some limitations on the format of the data stored. It has to be either a map, a list, or a single value. This turned out to work well for everything except for gun's. Gun's, you see, were stored as objects containing more than 150 variables. So what I had to do was refactor gun's to instead be Map data structures. This also meant changing any piece of code that directly or indirectly touched on any of its 150 variables.

one variable per bullet right?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Space Funeral wasn't on there either....

Space Funeral is trying way too hard.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think there should not be cluwnes in Barkley 2.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The golf guy? Why would he be in it?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dozeworthy posted:

DNF would have been garbage even if it came out in 1998 though.

Yeah cause it wasn't finished.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The thing I was talking about is like there's a front flap on the box that looks like this:

Where the White part is cut out.

When it's closed, it looks like this:

And when you open it up you see the full picture:

nah nah the other way around, so when it's closed you get

and when it's open

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ryaomon posted:

ive always wanted to play a less funny borderlands mixed with the most reviled aspect of invisible war thanks

so what you're saying is it needs all the other aspects of IW cause they were great

if this game doesn't have to close and reopen itself every time you go through a loading screen I will sue

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

i heard it was some jerk called gortarius

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pretty Good: the gun has to spin in your hand first every time you fire it for no benefit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Guns that when you shoot them, they shoot an NPC somewhere else in the world instead, permanently killing them, including plot-important NPCs.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A gun which fires you. Pull the trigger, clean out your desk and leave the buikding immediately.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What do you mean timelines are guesses? It's coming out in 2013.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Somfin posted:

I am actually working on making a game almost exactly like what you have suggested right here. It is heavily inspired by a blurry misreading of the Barkley 2 Kickstarter page.

So is Barkley 2

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Barkley 2 enits a series of high-pitched whines constantly. One annoys dogs, one gives you a headache, and sometimes there's a brown note wildcard. It's immersive.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Who says they're goggles? Could be snake-like headboobs.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

the first game to release mod tools before the game is even out

it's coming out in 2013

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

please change K+S (Knockback + Stagger) to SOK (Stagger Or Knockback)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can't imagine quality then.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

i saw this thread on the first page and wondered if there's been any progress on it whatsoever. i guess not

There's been plenty of progress on the thread.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Just finished another gun stream.
Almost there, they are 97% done! Only 70 more Gun's to go out of 2001.

I thought you were already finished.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doesn't FF6 do that on its own train level too?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

please keep your love for Barkley pure

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I didn't back this game but I look forward to buying it when it comes out.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Convex posted:

What if I told you that you're playing barkley 2 right now

Then I'd tell you that we already know, about five other people have said that anyway

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

chris sloberts

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

comics legend Stan Lee will never see Barkley 2

how many more really loving old celebrities will you disappoint togsters

get it the gently caress together

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the gun's are good

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

so what I'm hearing is, there's some job openings

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I'm only looking forward to...no games now.

shame, I hear dark souls 2's looking like it might be pretty good

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hell Yeah posted:

well, i'm unsubscribing from this thread now. good luck everyone.

coward

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

something's coming out alright

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Could we get a roadmap please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l482T0yNkeo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ilmucche posted:

It's been years since I read the lp for shut up and jam, who's dark drakerz and why is he dying all over the drat place?

Gortarius posted:

This is also about the time when I discovered the Dark Drakers, which soured the whole thing further. Dark Draker is a filler character in B2 who talks about being faster than the snapping maw of a drake. I discovered that an entire areas worth of NPC's were just carbon copies of Dark Draker with a different name given to each, AKA the illusion of work being done. Just these 10% finished NPC's basically littering the project to make it seem like it was all good. I suppose the plan was to eventually make them into distinct NPC's but the problem was that the whole game was plagued by the Dark Drakers, and they GREATLY attributed to the poo poo compile times.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Honestly I always felt that the whole Wilford Brimley bit was kind of an unnecessary detour and could have been comfortably cut.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Come on, don't be obtuse. They were born as one thing, always felt in their hearts that they were really something else, they were persecuted because of it, they desperately seek out surgery to make their outer selves resemble their inner selves... Remind you of anything?

E: That said, looking at your rap sheet, your brand seems to be lazy trolling, so I'm not sure why I'm bothering.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Blattdorf posted:

I was going to ask a similar question because, surprisingly, all this new lingo is not immediately obvious. Why is it "coded", though? Can you be "homosexual-coded" or "female-coded"?

"coding" isn't new lingo lol, it's a basic unit of literary criticism. And... yes. yes you can. A huge amount of villainous characters are feminine or gay-coded.

E: practically every disney villain is queer-coded

Dabir fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Because it's obnoxious