Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ComposerGuy posted:

You can catch glimpses of what's to come in earlier work from him like "Robots". That was my first real indication that he was going to break away from the "Media Ventures" mold.

Powell's score for X-Men: The Last Stand was easily the best part of that movie, too.

The music of the X-Men films is interesting. Kamen was brought onto the first movie at the last minute when John Ottman backed out, and he had no time to write the score -- "Logan & Rogue," which is often cited as an excellent piece of scoring, is really just Kamen's Highlander theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLmaJea4ZoU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCkV0qSJRkk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Horner's score for Aliens also directly lifts from his Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock work. He basically re-uses his Klingon theme at one point near the end of Aliens.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ComposerGuy posted:

As Darko mentioned above, this isn't actually true.

There are 2 James Horners, really.

The James Horner everyone loves did cool stuff in the 80s right up until the mid-90s with Braveheart and Apollo 13.

Then he died.

Now there's some Zombie James Horner using his name and stealing all his poo poo all the time.

Horner's always been a self-plagiarizer, though. His Star Trek II score lifts heavily from Battle Beyond the Stars, and the Aliens score directly quotes Star Trek III throughout.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ComposerGuy posted:

Powell should be getting every job that Zimmer is, IMO.

Giacchino (lackluster Star Trek work aside), Desplat and James Newton-Howard should be in that conversation, too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sith Happens posted:

Any other big scores to look forward to this summer?

Steve Jablonsky will probably do something good with Transformers: Age of Extinction, John Powell is returning for How To Train Your Dragon 2, Giacchino is doing Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and I have a hunch that Brian Tyler will have some fun on TMNT.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ComposerGuy posted:

Love that one, though I think I actually prefer "Signs" of his M. Night work

Yeah, Signs is great because he's totally aping Bernard Herrmann and he does it so incredibly well.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stare-Out posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it were Giacchino, considering he's already taking over for Williams (ignoring Don Davis here) for Jurassic World and he's worked with Abrams a bunch in the past.

Abrams is out after Episode 7, though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ComposerGuy posted:

How are we feeling about the Best Score noms? I actually haven't had a chance to listen to any but Interstellar and Grand Budapest. Notable snubs?

The biggest surprise to me was that Ross / Reznor didn't get a nomination for Gone Girl.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rochallor posted:

X-Men: The Last Stand had a killer score, too.

Easily the best of the series, but that's what happens when you hire John Powell.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bullet3 posted:

His Star Trek scores are terrible.

The gently caress is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfP6o-61e2s

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basically, Giacchino is what Marco Beltrami should have been. Christ, Beltrami is such a wasted talent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ManifunkDestiny posted:

3:10 to Yuma was so good :(

It really was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVtJDGeBweU

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 7, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stare-Out posted:

Word now going around that Williams is indeed scoring Star Wars (presumably VII-IX).

Williams was confirmed for Episode VII in July 2013.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stare-Out posted:

Speaking of Bond, I only recently found a wonderful bit of music the late John Barry did for A View to a Kill, an orchestral version of the Duran Duran song for the movie. It's stellar. That flute.

Nic Raine arranged a killer mash-up of the On Her Majesty's Secret Service and A View to a Kill themes for an orchestral Bond theme album a long time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2GS6kfkTUE

The bit at 3:50 sounds almost like something Poledouris would do, with the woodwinds.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 2, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh my God, this is amazing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, it's the one I've listened to the most. It's too bad it's so short but if the rest of the score matches that it'll be something else. Giacchino's piano stuff always impresses, I think it's in the second Star Trek score where there's an absolutely stellar piano piece.

E: This is the one, it comes out of nowhere on the album and it's such an awesome surprise too.

Yeah, I was really underwhelmed by his score on Star Trek 2009 but so much of his stuff for Into Darkness was incredible.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

aBagorn posted:

I definitely think it's his best, on first listen. He has such a reverence for Williams' work and he makes the references and "Williams-y" touches seem organic and part of his own work, not just "oh hey here's Williams out of nowhere"

There are a few bits where it feels like he's recycling his Star Trek material, but the score by and large is amazing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ComposerGuy posted:

Horner post-Titanic (really post-95) is where he really became the reuser that he is known as now.

Didn't Star Trek II lift liberally from Battle Beyond the Stars, though? And of course so much of Aliens is note-for-note from Star Trek III.

Edit: Jesus, I had forgotten how much he lifted from BBtS for Trek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mSgqMOKJho

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 23, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skoll posted:

So, I was watching Man in the Iron Mask recently and couldn't help but notice how amazing the score by Nick Glennie-Smith is. I think this is my favorite piece from it :

Nick Glennie-Smith did some really amazing stuff in the '90s. He was responsible for a lot of The Rock, Man in the Iron Mask was really great, he actually did some great work on Highlander Endgame of all things, and I've always been a fan of his work for We Were Soldiers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sith Happens posted:

Captain America: Civil War has a few decent tracks but isn't as good overall as the two Avengers soundtracks, which themselves weren't really that great. X-Men: Apocalypse also has a few good tracks but is nothing spectacular overall.

Civil War missed a golden opportunity by not incorporating Bryan Tyler's Iron Man 3 theme for some of Stark's scenes. That brief quote of it when the Hulkbuster comes together in Avengers 2 is probably the best bit of that score.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stare-Out posted:

Speaking of Silvestri, I've always thought his Judge Dredd theme was sweet as all hell. As much as I dig the 2012 Dredd soundtrack, this is still the defining Dredd theme to me.

I've always said this should have been Captain America's theme. Imagine a subdued version of this as Cap drops his shield at the end of Civil War.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stare-Out posted:

Seriously, the whole Starship Troopers soundtrack is amazing but there just is no surpassing "Klendathu Drop". :rip:

Poledouris recycled and re-orchestrated much of his awesome RoboCop 3 score for this, and it's great.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skoll posted:

Literally the only thing about that movie that was great.

Oh, come on. John Castle was chewing scenery left and right, as was Rip Torn, you've got Bradley Whitford doing his Bradley Whitford thing, and watching Robert John Burke try to move around in a suit that was built for an actor like five inches shorter than him is kind of hilarious.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hey Now, You're a Death Star

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Just to bring about some new discussion: I've found a new appreciation for Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World score. He apes Williams quite a bit with his use of woodwinds and brass, but I really like how he spins the style in new directions.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darko posted:

I love the new Jurassic World theme, but that's also where he tends to shine the most (often repeating themes too much).

I think that tends to happen when he takes on way too many projects at one time. The Star Trek Into Darkness score, for example, is beautiful, and incredibly nuanced, whereas both its predecessor and Beyond are carbon copies of one another.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ComposerGuy posted:

Goldenthal is mainly a contemporary classical composer and a film composer second. He just focuses more on concert works.

Unsurprising considering his mentors (Corigliano and Copland).

Also, Julie Taymor has made so much goddamn money in her career that neither of them have to work another day in their lives.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I just saw Cars 3 and was very surprised when the credits came up that the score was by Randy Newman. I didn't know he did scores and it was very well done, lots of it didn't sound like him at all. Has he scored other Pixar films?

He was Pixar's go-to guy in the early days. All three Toy Stories, Monsters Inc. and University, Bug's Life, the first Cars, and maybe one other, I forget.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skoll posted:

I don't know who came up with Furby, but I'm pretty sure they hated children because those things were horrifying.

My brother and both my sisters each had one of those things. Turned our house into something out of Hellraiser or some poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Last Jedi's nomination stuns me, because it feels like 90 percent of it, at least, is warmed-over material from The Force Awakens and then reprises of stuff from the original trilogy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darko posted:

Half of John Powell's scores deserve way better films.

Seriously. His work on X-Men: The Last Stand is so much better than anyone else's work on that franchise and it isn't even close.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tomtrek posted:

It's kind of bullshit that Johann Johannsson's last score - which is amazing - gets a massive snub because the Academy is mad that something went to digital while it was still in theatres.

That reminds me of the Oscars ceremony from a few years ago, when theatrical attendance had started seeing a decent decline, that was three and a half hours of "why we love going to the movies."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Saturniid19 posted:

It’s even more impressive considering JNH had five weeks to write it.

Newton-Howard is a severely underrated composer and deserves to have a much higher profile. His score for The Fugitive is an all-time great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBPhKNleYBs

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Video game music I know, but I have to give Paul Ruskay credit for making some absolutely killer scores for the Homeworld games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTl7O1BEPXE

To tie this back to Film/Television scores, you'd be deaf not to hear the massive influence Ruskay's Homeworld music had on Bear Mccreary's score for Battlestar Galactica.

Yeah, McCreary clearly took a lot of inspiration from there.

Speaking of video game composers turned Hollywood guys, Michael Giacchino killed it with Medal of Honor: Frontline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1nHihn2Hp4

I wish he could produce that kind of output on a regular basis, but it feels like he takes on a half-dozen projects a year and a creative brain can only do so much before you're repeating yourself or phoning it in.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Giacchino frustrates me because he has made a lot of music that I really really like, but his score for Rogue One just hit everything wrong to my ear. Trying to mimic John Williams only ever ends in failure. His soundtrack, while having a few good tracks (Krennic's theme is sweet), sounded like half a million other half-baked star wars fanfilm musical scores. The main title theme is so unbelievably bad and corny it actually managed to spoil the Star Destroyer ramming scene for me.

Overreaction? Yes, but then I'm also the guy who shudders violently whenever I hear a James Horner soundtrack cannibalizing half a dozen other James Horner soundtracks.

Horner wrote his Battle Beyond the Stars score for Corman, and then he spent his entire career re-using it. He re-used in Star Trek II and III, in Aliens, in loving Braveheart, in Clear & Present Danger, in motherfucking Titanic. He was the laziest son of a bitch and he never heard a Prokofiev piece that he couldn't ape.

Giacchino just needs to slow down. He takes on too many projects at any given time and as a result he winds up just churning out generic fluff because he's too busy to sleep. I mean, there's no reason that the Romulan villain theme from Star Trek '09 should be part of the ending credits theme of the next two movies, but it is, because he just doesn't have time to do more.

That said, London Calling from Star Trek Into Darkness is a pretty magnificent piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfP6o-61e2s

Edit: Yeah, the Rogue One score really, really is awful. Giacchino is trying to hint at the major leitmotifs but he doesn't quite hit them and the overall effect is just ... off. The weird attempt at melding Giacchino's Rogue One theme with the Imperial March is weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxL8bVJhXCM

Timby fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 6, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Enterprising Young Men is Giacchino's masterwork and one of the best themes from any Star Trek project.

The only better ones are the Voyager and The Motion Picture / TNG themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtVXAugaSm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b52b4yORX6U

Jerry Goldsmith was a god among men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Well Horner sucks that way, but at least he's stealing from himself most of the time as far as I can tell. (He steals brazenly from 2001 for Aliens).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB3IokHelRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnPJRJbVEIg&t=57s

He also cribbed his Star Trek III score for Aliens; III's score was itself largely recycled from II's, which was a straight re-use of his work on Battle Beyond the Stars.