Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
The answer is never.

Here's some streams:

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

Team Spooky. The kings of poverty and also streaming fighting games. They stream a lot of majors and Big 2. There's a few goons in Team Spooky, so they must be not terrible.

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive

Level Up. They stream a lot of West Coast majors and stuff! Run by Alex Valle, AKA Dad.

http://www.twitch.tv/iplaywinner

NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. Where there's fog and no one works long hours for some reason. Haunts who runs IPW, is technically the home of Team Spooky! Ghosts! Boo!

http://www.twitch.tv/kombatnetwork

Mortal Kombatants fight in Mortal Kombat.

http://www.twitch.tv/fgtvlive

Some top players stream on this channel! They live in a house! A house with fighting gamers! Holy moley! If you like seeing entitled people grumble about not being able to raffle, this might be your place.

http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun/videos

8wayrun. They stream NJ tournaments and the 3D games at majors a lot. Wowzers! PS Donate. (Don't actually donate).

http://www.twitch.tv/st1ckbug

St1ckbug's stream. If you like animes fighting other animes in such forms as: Undescript and generic schoolgirl A fighting her exact clone with a different color skirt. Lots of yelling: The game. That game based loosely off an RPG. As well as an actually good game, you might wanna check this stream out!

http://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv

These guys don't stream a lot of actual fighting games, but if you want to see two wealthy men spend 2 of their 6 hours of potential sleep every Wednesday explain how bad Cammy is, check them out. Sometimes they actually stream tournaments too.

http://www.twitch.tv/srklive

I dunno what goes here but it's owned by Shoryuken.com so therefor it must be something.

http://www.twitch.tv/godsgarden

JAPAN.

http://www.twitch.tv/finestko

Gamecenter, more Norcal. Also anime.

http://www.twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle

Click here to win a free EWGF!!!!

WHEN'S MARVEL?

Marvel 3 is fun and cool to watch. It's flashy and kinda hype. It's not that well balanced but new and exciting things are still being figured out. It's also got some animes and some patriotic punchy men so it appeals to everyone except old people. PS Soul Fist.

SSF4AE2012 is a game that I think everyone can understand. It's fun to watch at the highest levels of play and when a lot is on the line. It's the current universal language of fighting games. Everyone knows AE and can play it kind of.

Persona 4 Arena is a game where animes fight each other. It is currently the best recent "anime game" which is a meaningless term. Basically animes yelling at each other. It's cool and hip and pretty easy to get into.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a game where dudes punch the crap out of each other. It's a lot harder to follow on a casual level but its a cool and fun game. It also has bears. If you like bears, you should check it out (Persona 4 Arena also has bears for all bear lovers).

Justice: Gods Among Us is a game where Netherrealm attempts to make Guilty Gear with the jank levels of MK9. It is a pretty good game but it's kind of in a weird early spot at the moment. Could be great or could be terrible, time will tell. it's pretty much the most westernized anime game ever made.

Mortal Kombat ain't a bad game y'all! It's kind of an awkward mix between 2d and 3d fighters but it's solid and deep enough. If you like blood and gore and lots of misogyny you might like this game!

Dead or Alive 5 is only good if you really really like breasts. Also a guy named XCaLiburBladeZ won a major in this game so take that for what you will.

King of Fighters XIII owns watch it it owns owns it owns.

Street Fighter Cross Tekken is a game for people who really enjoy rainbow particle effects, slug/human hybrids, and bears again. Also I guess it's a fighting game too. Bear overload.

Now proceed to post things as they happen on a stream.

Shut the heck up about sonic, gaben, nappa and link wrestling each other gosh:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522887
Go here instead thanks.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

E-Tap posted:

For anyone that missed Bazza87's Video Game Championship Wrestling stream (in the WWE 2013 engine or something), AVGN and Gamecenter CX's Shinya Arino took the tag team title from Team Fortress. Most notably however was Nappa and Gabe Newell's no holds barred match that actually DESTROYED THE RING. :suspense:

I like that stream but it's not pro fighting games.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522887

Talk about video games wrestling each other here now guys.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

This was a fighting game tournament and someone from the FGC could have stolen these things.

Though Alex Strife isn't the most uh... reliable dude either. Just sayin', don't point all the fingers at the Smash community for that.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Melee is a good competitive game and I like to watch it, despite that, I heavily dislike the Smash community as a whole.

Turn off items, choose a stock/time limit, ban like 70% of the stages (lol), loser can counterpick. The last part is the only thing that requires any sense of complexity to make the game competitive.

High level Melee is fun to watch, and is pretty deep IMO.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

wodin posted:

Really wish they wouldn't allow the black character/black stage combos in P4A - it makes the game almost impossible to read as a relatively new player (as opposed to somewhat confusing but sorta readable).
Nothing beats S.Lab on her own stage.

Invisible projectiles!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I updated the first post and didn't make that many changes but it now features Injustice, Cross Tekken and fixing a really ugly sounding sentence that bugged me. Plus 50% more bears.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Brett824 posted:

How long after Divekick actually comes out will people still pretend it's a legitimate + interesting to watch game? I'm imagining it'll have around the average anime game lifespan.

I too, enjoy the depth of checkers.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

canoshiz posted:

I think Chris G was originally a Smash player, for what it's worth. Lots of people stick only with Smash but I'm willing to bet that a lot of them are from the pre-SF4 era when there weren't any other fighting games coming out.

Also a lot of Melee players jumped ship when Brawl turned out to terrible for competitive play.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's incredibly incomplete but in 2009-2010 he probably got 1st in most tournaments he entered that didn't have international players.

There weren't many SF4 majors for like a period of time right after console SF4 release, but he won like, everything in NYC during that era.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
:siren: :supaburn: :burger: :catdrugs: :burger: :supaburn: :siren: THREAD IS CLOSED UNTIL EVO IS OVER!!!!! CLICK BELOW TO WIN A FREE EVOLUTION 2013 THREAD :siren: :supaburn: :burger: :catdrugs: :burger: :supaburn: :siren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559225

I'll reopen the thread on monday.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Welcome back to the world of Pro Fighting Games (TM).

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Double Bill posted:

Then again it's pretty likely that people already have at least a 720p TV at home, which is all you need in the current gen. Also next gen for fighting games is already going to poo poo with KI being an exclusive title (and not even a timed exclusive) and Capcom not even working on anything.

That doesn't stop people from selling mice or keyboards or better PCs.

Anyway other things that could definitely sell in the FGC:
Low response time TVs/monitors, eye-strain glasses (Gunnars and the like).

IMO microtransactions are the best way to go for a long term competitive game. I still think as long as a fair business model is implemented, F2P with an "unlock eveything" option is the way to go, that or make sure the character content never exceeds say, 80-100 dollars after 2+ years depending on how much stuff there is and you can 100% play offline. Most big companies could just go totally F2P though if they have the resources already (Capcom does, ArcSys doesn't).

anime was right fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 18, 2013

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jmcrofts posted:

It's getting better though. Skullgirls, 3soe, and TTT2 have really great netcode. It's mostly Capcom Japan and SNK/Atlus who are behind the times.

Arcsys netcode is "bad" but it masks it well.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Everything related to WCG feels like it's trapped in the 90s somehow. I can't explain why. It just reminds me of all of those terrible educational videos I saw in middle/high school.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ToastyPotato posted:

So is Capcom saying unofficial strategy guides are illegal? Or are they saying that unofficial strategy guides were official all along because they paid licensing fees in secret?

If Gootecks didn't release video footage with it I'm pretty sure it would have been legal without a single debate. It's in that gray area where you can C&D video game videos even though if you talk over them and edit them they basically constitute as a new work.

You can fight it and win, definitely, but it's not worth your time and money.

I don't think Gootecks should be charging for tutorial videos though IMO. I think that's scummy in general.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Goukens daughter was rumored for Super so uh, maybe it's her.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Hypocrisy posted:

Listening to the announcers try and explain why gamer glasses are good or do anything at all is fascinating.

They do actually do something, blue light is what causes eye strain and by tinting it yellow/orange it reduces the amount of blue light that hits your eyes, which does help!

They are not worth hundreds of dollars though.

Also you can just use flux if you're on a PC.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Fighting games are way closer to... actual fighting, and should be modeled after something like MMA or boxing.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
TBH I don't really see why Smash taking a while is a bad thing (other than you don't like it). I actually like longer amounts of game play beacuse it generally means there's less chance of someone being randomed out. I wish more FGs had more game time, at least the faster paced ones like ST and GG.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Let's not have "the" Smash argument. Arguing about gameplay time is ok I think but we banned the argument from the regular fighting game thread for a reason.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I'm just hoping the people at EVO get their poo poo together and ban wobbling. That poo poo was such a hype-murderer throughout the entire tournament.

Wobbling owns and makes Ice Climbers actually interesting from a gameplay standpoint.

It's legitimately one of the most interesting parts of Smash. The grappler is the Eddie of the game, which means that the most mechanically complex character manages to be the archetype that dominates at lowers level of play in all sorts of other games because of their mechanical simplicity. This completely diminishes the frustration aspect of entry level play. More games need Ice Climbers.

Anything that doesn't deteriorate gameplay balance, especially something that has piles of counterplay, should remain in the game. Oh no, a guy got grabbed and lost 1/4th of his effective life or whatever. That's how grapplers work, and Ice Climbers has more legitimate ways to deal with the grappler part than any other grappler while also being harder to play. If you hate wobbling you hate good game design. Also, it's over super fast on top of that!

anime was right fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 12, 2014

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

An infinite is rarely interesting and I completely can't interpret the rest of your post in any meaningful fashion.

Wobbling is poo poo. One grab into instant death by simply mashing A just isn't interesting to watch, at least ST T.Hawk's throw loop takes a good amount of dexterity to continue once you get it started.

It's an infinite you can stop from happening beforehand and the counterplay isn't just "don't get hit", takes 20 seconds at maximum (lets ban every infinite ever in this case), and I'm sorry big words confuse you.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Typically good fighting games just don't have infinites. Could also do without the passive aggressive bullshit.

You're right they don't just like Ice Climbers but I'll be happy to donate to a charity that helps cure blindness for your benefit, I'm sorry I wasn't aware.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Guys all this other stuff that turns Fox from 3rd Strike Yun to ST Akuma + Ivan Ooze combined is completely analogous to letting 3s Urien be on Revision A instead of Revision B.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

VigilantePrime posted:

Literally "I didn't even try to understand your argument, but I'm going to meaninglessly respond to it anyway."

To be fair it was worded in a confusing way in like one sentence but if you can't contemplate why Wobbling is healthy compared to why stages are banned because Fox, then maybe you don't have the brain power to process big words IDK.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Tekken is hard to watch because it puts more emphasis on pacing, frame advantage and risk which are generally much harder to distinguish than battles over space. One is more knowledge and nuance oriented while the latter is almost entirely visual. There's nuance to both, for sure, but it's just easier to tell what's effective/who's winning in a 2d fighting game.

Tekken also has way less flashy particles and animations which appeal to people watching. You see a super move and you're like "this is important/it hurts".

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
there is a myriad of other reasons other than power creep:

*anti-fustration design, where you nerf somthing that may or may not be powerful, is extremely frustrating to fight, which causes fast low end player drop off. if you remember in skullgirls mike z didnt want to nerf that one assist or whatever because it was balanced, it was loving obnoxious nad no one liked playing against it. nerfint these things has a direct influence on your playerbases' numbers.

*making room for a buff. also called "burfing" (lol) where you nerf something on a character so you can give them a buff. usually in this case the buff is supposed to end in a more fun experience of the character being burfed. like, if you nerf the frame advantage on a certain move so you can give a character a powerful new tool that would otherwise cause an imbalanced situations if the nerf didnt go throgh.

*nerfing localized power that causes imbalances that only affect a situation. for example, if x character has y button that absolutely destroys z charcter, but is otherwise useless or of marginal power in other matchups, and x character has a 7-3 matchup vs z character, this is one of the easiest ways to balance a game.

*purifying design: sometimes a character doesnt fit the design you had in mind, and a tool just sort "doesnt work". like if you gave dhalsim a move that makes him move forawrd and is +0 on block, thatd be cool, but it makes more sense on rufus or something. sometimes these sorts of power levels can muddy a characters intent and playstyle to the point where players get "married" to something that shouldnt be there in the first place.

*that character needs a nerf. maybe they do. maybe they're op and its faster to just nerf a dude than buff 40 other dudes. this happens.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i hope you enjoyed that washed up design barf of some old idiot

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also depending on how you balance a game, nerfing downward can be far more predictable than nerfing upward when the power is focused in less variables. similar to "sometimes they need a nerf", when balancing a game lets say you're playing a game with

2 S tier character
1 A tier character
2 B tier characters
5 C tier characters
6 D tier characters

naturally you're gonna go "well buff everyone up, its obvious", but when the power is so condensed upward, you have to change less variables (nerfing 3 characters condenses 3 whole tiers of power, while buffing 6 condenses 1). every time you make a game balance change, you can't predict every effect it will have on gameplay, as much as any person on the internet will tell you how great their design choices are. because of this, you can create a lot of chaos because the more variables you change, the less your predicted outcome of a design is, so nerfing downward in that scenario will create a more predictable atmosphere that is easier to control.

for every change you make, there will be unintended outcomes, and if those unintended outcomes interact with other changes, your predictions will be even less accurate, and if unpredicted outcomes also interact with unpredicted outcomes, there's almost zero accounting for the actual result. this can be especially chaotic in buffs because you're not only dealing with "well now character x loses y tool vs z" you now have to deal with "now character x has y tool that didnt exist before because these two interactions never created z in the first place, and z now trashes q character, who we didnt change mucbecause they were A tier".

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
what im saying is balancing video games is literally voodoo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Brett824 posted:

Stop trying to balance videogames just put out something fun and hope it sticks.

or you could do both like someone competent, but nevermind that, brett824 is weighing in with his valued opinion on video games here

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

BigLeafyTree posted:

Are there generally rules for pick order in tournaments? Like if a player wants to counterpick or avoid a particular matchup how is it handled?

you tell a tournament official and then you whisper your pick to them, the other guy picks first, then you pick your thing and the to confirms it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mango sentinel posted:

Fuerte mirrors are probably the most fun mirrors to watch, so I'm good with this. (It's the Anti-Honda Mirror.)

i was laughing for like 5 straight minutesr or whatever

i dont ever wanna fight that character but hes pretty bonkers to watch

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

TaurusOxford posted:

Maximillian playing ranked KI online: http://www.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood

this is the lets watch pro fighting games thread dude

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

LogicNinja posted:

DID YOU KNOW?

Tier lists do not factor in individual player skill.

actually picking your character is a player decision so yes it is a factor of skill

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Che Delilas posted:

Can I just say that I love UltraChen as a casting team? They do great analysis and play-by-play, they are capable of getting excited without screeching into their microphones, and they are always all about what's actually going on in the tournament. They don't spend an entire match talking about themselves or arrange money matches or broken-record catch phrases or anything that every other FG caster seems addicted to. It's so refreshing.

And yeah, Smug is really a joy to watch most of the time.

ultrachen is only good by comparison, they are actually really clueless about high level play lol

i mean i give every person the benefit of the doubt in the heat of a match because projecting decision making is pretty much impossible (unless you're jwong), but when they talk about actual stuff jchen just sort of says stuff that doesnt make any sense 99% of the time. they are good at being bland and carry themselves pretty professionally though which is something a lot of people dont put a lot of weight into as a caster. personally they are what you ideally want in a filler caster or someone who doesnt necessarily talk about technical aspects of the game, but get excited and talk to players about stuff.

also james still cant call stuff like they've been called for like 20 years. input codes.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 29, 2014

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Incredible that even though Blazblue has the highest prize pool its still hosed over with the early rear end finals on Sunday over loving KI.

its also somewhere in the middle of entrant numbers too

oh i guess the other games besides ki arent even on the main stage last day, still should be after KI tho.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

cronox2 posted:

Considering Nintendo is an official sponsor now, that announcements period after Smash better be a new character reveal.

im expecting mkx characters too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
this weekend will have ti4, evo and nalcs

rip twitch servers, never forget