Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Really appreciate you including Mac recently, it's almost too easy to take Steve Bell/ Riddell etc. for granted.

These three are just drat glorious:

And the one a couple of days ago where Theresa May was listening in was magnificent.

Might start photoshopping the labels out of Riddell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Did some quick and dirty fixes to Riddell to see what they'd look like without the labels:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

The comic is probably nothing more complicated than the Queen disliking the tories when she actually meets them and switching her vote to the nearest protest group, i.e. UKIP. It was probably drawn before the eugenics story.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

Are you loving serious.

It's about time England had some say in the way Scotland is run.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

Now this is something I find genuinely confusing. Why? What's so bad about Salmond? What is it about him that gets people's sashes in a twist?

I'm a Scot who's swithering over independence, but Alex Salmond always comes across as a self-publicist and full of talk. My impression of him is very much a populist, and his cosying up to Rupert Murdoch is something I intensely dislike. Still, the SNP have done lovely things with not cutting everything and I definitely support them over Labour and (holy poo poo they're nuts) the tories.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

:getin: Kill scooty! :getin:

Bell's going for the full deck; Bibi is going to pull a bloodied hand out of that sock puppet :ohdear:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

The Mantel story is the best PR coup for Cameron in a while. All he had to do was say nice things about Kate Middleton and the Daily Mail's hysterical readers (who he might have lost a bit over Europe and gay marriage) are pacified, without any negative press at all. Perfect!

In a just world he'd be called out for taking time out of a supposedly massively important trip in India to comment on a storm in a teacup and misunderstand it completely, while pandering to the press in the post-Leveson world. It is nice to see the other cartoons focusing on him screwing up in other ways though.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

What the hell, Fluo, I'd never heard of that at all.

The craziest part of that video is the town council member saying "we'll have to write to our MPs to check it doesn't happen again" rather than "HOLY poo poo"

I felt like a total conspiracy nut watching those videos. That's completely insane.

quote:

Along with other servicemen, Maddison was offered 15 shillings and a three-day leave pass for taking part in the experiments. He had planned to use the money to purchase an engagement ring for his girlfriend, Mary Pyle.
On the day he died, Ronald Maddison entered a gas chamber at 10:00 a.m. along with five other test subjects. They were each to have an identical experiment performed on them, which were part of a series of experiments to determine the lethal dose of sarin when delivered to bare or battle dress-covered skin

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

I don't think Fluou's opinion is exactly that weird? I'd be amazed if Richard Dawkins himself didn't agree that he can come across as inflammatory and smug on the whole religion thing.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

It's a question of losing face; Westminster has puffed up his reputation as Al Qaida's main man in the UK and if they back down now they'd look like even bigger idiots. Spending millions of pounds on a pointless legal case to put the blame on the EU is preferable to that!

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Cloud Potato posted:

Daily Mail:

'Some Tories plan a rebellion against Cameron’s policy over the EU today.'

Mac sneaks another subversive comic out the basement door and past his torturers.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 15, 2013

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

I think the Express is actually worse than Mac's offensiveness. It assumes the audience is so stupid they'll miss the context of Prince Harry being in the U.S., the Statue of Liberty, a skyline of skyscrapers, the Chrysler building and not one but four massive American flags, so they've broken the dialogue to point out that yes, this is a comic strip based in the U.S.

The rest are just dire, aside from Steve Bell (as usual!).

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Aha! A very clever take on the classic "lions led by donkeys" quote. The cartoonist has inserted another player into the quote: the sheep. They represent the media, shown here as a group of stalkers wielding cameras while standing idly by.

The cartoon makes the very valid point that the government (offscreen donkeys) are held enthralled to the media's sensationalism, and the repercussions of these populist, hatemongering opinions falls on the poorest of society (represented here by the lion, the British working class man enrolled in the army), which in turn are then reported without greater context by the media. A comment on how the masquerade feeds itself in a cyclical fashion.

A Good Cartoon.

gently caress, American cartoons are awful

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 31, 2013

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Let's play a game. School or prison?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Novelty prisons is an avenue that I'm sure G4S is considering right now. You're correct though, all schools!

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

We are nationalising our nuclear power stations, just so happens it's not the British state we're giving them to though!

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Stephen Collins
Panel 1: A CUTESY DRAWING OF A MAN HUNCHED OVER A DESK. THERE IS A BLANK SHEET OF PAPER IN FRONT OF HIM AND A PENCIL IN HIS HAND
Panel 2: the pencil: "are we gonna do it or what?" The man: "I'm sorry?"
Panel 3: the pencil: "normally we've drawn an anthropomorphised object by now, and defined a personality quirk too"
Panel 4: the man: "I'm sorry, I've got a headache"
Panel 5: the pencil: "use me! Abuse me! How about shy curtains? A right-wing pigeon? Come on, I need this!"
Panel 6: the man: "I'm... I don't know. It's just not working for me any more"
Panel 7: THE MAN WALKS AWAY
Panel 8: the pencil, now lying on the desk: "wanker"

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

kapparomeo posted:

Besides, don't all you Comrades hate charity maybe even more than you hate Trots? Shouldn't you be excoriating Salmond for his neoliberal-legitimising endorsement of alternate social support through non-state systems, or something? Or does he get a free pass?

Yes and furthermore

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Scarfe

Heavy stuff.

This is just lazy.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

How much do you think we'd need to raise in order to have him as this thread's personal cartoonist?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

:ughh: me too

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

Wey, are they still playing? I saw them do O'Donoghue's in Aberdeen a couple of years back, thought they'd fallen off the map since then.

He's probably talking about this lot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bash_Street_Kids

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

I'm one of those Bristol lot

Close enough, we're taking you lot with us next referendum :scotland:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

This is true, but it's worth not exaggerating their number or their importance.

OK, this annoys me too much. You can't have a chip supper. If you go to a chippy and ask for a chip supper you're asking for chips with a side of chips

Aye, a chip supper.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Dimitri the Russian oligarch sits on his boat and worries that the left-wing Greek government are going to crack down on his tax avoidance, while the Greek peoples are represented by a qualified accountant who lost her job due to the financial crash, and is now working as a maid just to put food on the table. A good cartoon.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 14, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

That's great.

Guavanaut posted:

Fixed.

I couldn't find a rhyming label for Trump :angel:

"Hat" on the toupee.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

E: nm

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

drat immigrants, coming here from Greece, marrying our royals :argh:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

:drat:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

True, but on the other hand

Your argument is so dumb it's hard to see why you're putting this much effort in to it.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

"How David Cameron counts his toes... - Chris Riddell on the prime minister’s week"

Best Riddell in ages. Only cartoon worth looking at this whole weekend!

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Quick 'n dirty

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

I thought the rhyme was pretty inherent, plus the steel bit made me question the whole thing as the industry is doing the opposite of staying in Britain.

Cliff Racer posted:

Its almost like most of the people who complain about over-labelling just do it because they see other people doing it, not because the labels are actually talking down to the audience or ruining the cartoon.

I'm not sure why you think that Riddell's overlabelling is contentious, he's the guy who puts stuff like "Russia" on a bear and "Tory backbenchers" on the blue monsters on Cameron's shoulders. :shrug:

I've done this before and I generally get rid of all the text for effect - I like the art better without it - and it's clear easily 90% of the text he includes is superfluous

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 25, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

+ 1

As someone who recently moved from Edinburgh to the east of England this cartoon is way off the mark. EVEL is going to go down very well with with most of England, i.e. the Tory base. EVEL is flawed in so many ways but the basic premise behind it is fairly sound and most people don't look beyond that. Nats like you obviously won't agree but I think we need to stop portraying issues as Scotland vs England because it distracts from the fact that these issues affect much of England as well. Regional devolution is an important issue that should be discussed (I think one of the best New Labour policies that never got off the ground was regional assemblies) and, for example, the "West Lothian" question can also be levied against London MPs given the extent of devolution to the London mayor and Assembly - it's not just a Scotland vs England thing and it does a disservice to the country to continue to portray it as such. The only people who benefit from that are the Tories and the SNP.

It depends how you interpret it; if the author meant it as unionism vs. Scottish nationalists (or the independence movement as a whole), I think it illustrates your point, i.e. EVEL is going to hurt the union, even without SNP involvement.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 25, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Niric posted:

It's why the cartoon has to cut off above the lion's waist because it's getting hosed by a springbok

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm a dummy, but who's the green tie in the second Indie? Erdogan?

Yeah. Anyone know why he's got a green tie?

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 17, 2015

• Locked thread