Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

FOOD
SCARE
LATEST

Even the characters look shellshocked about being in that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah what the hell, is that some sort of kingfisher? It's done with a fine pen instead of felt tips too, it almost looks like someone sneaked it in later

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That thing is rad :3:

Seriously though, look at that bird in the cartoon. Proud. Stoic. In the scene yet utterly apart from it. Why is it there? It's like a message. From the future. What secrets to life's questions does the Daily Express hold?

Or maybe the bird is Diana

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ok there's a bird in every loving cartoon. Drawn by someone with more talent:

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/cartoon/view/2013-01-30

I guess it's some kind of 'find the bird' game? It's not like they're buried in a scene rich with nuanced detail or anything. Maybe the cartoonist hates birds and someone at the paper keeps adding them in, so he furiously scans the picture looking for THE loving BIRD I KNOW IT'S HERE

e: holy poo poo this guy is awful

He makes Mac's stuff look like works of sparkling wit and insight. I'm sure those birds are some kind of protest - just look at the expression on that one. I'm seriously intrigued now

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 16, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Crameltonian posted:

The line they're taking on this is sociopathic even by Mail/Express standards. Those kids apparently don't deserve proper housing so I guess they should all either live in one room and be grateful for it or the mother should do the decent thing and kill them all so they won't be a burden on the state.

Uhhh didn't you hear she has a horse? She could just sell the horse and buy a bigger house with the proceeds

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Would it somehow be more acceptable if the family were split into two three bedroom houses? I doubt it'd be grabbing headlines if that were the case...

Oh? Try this

HORSE-OWNING BENEFITS MUM TO KIDS: YOU CAN'T LIVE WITH ME
COUNCIL FORCED TO FIND HOME FOR CHILD VICTIMS OF BENEFITS CULTURE
BENEFITS BONANZA: WORKSHY FAMILIES GIVEN SECOND HOMES

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

UnCO3 posted:

DOES CANCER CAUSE BENEFIT SCROUNGING?

Whoa there, don't want to accidentally direct any sympathy towards poor people now do we?

STRESS FOR HARD-WORKING FAMILIES IN BROKEN BENEFITS BRITAIN: ARE SCROUNGERS GIVING YOU CANCER?

Whew, that's better

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Maybe it's a Lib Dem coverup (the sexual harrassment) and Clegg breaking through it to say 'actually yeah I knew'?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Kegluneq posted:

Re: The Indy cartoon - I love that angle on the election, could any comedian really be more ridiculous than Berlusconi as a candidate?

That angle really bugs me actually, because if you read most of the stories (or god forbid watch TV news) all you hear is haha funny comedian man running in Italy, and people are voting for him, what a wacky situation! If you actually read into the background he's basically a spokesperson for an alliance of politicians who already hold some office, and who are effectively running on an anti-austerity platform that's resounding with a lot of people for obvious reasons. He's not even intending to enter parliament, since he has a conviction and he wants a ban on MPs with criminal records.

It's just lazy reporting, and it sets up the narrative nicely for what's happening now they've done well - the neoliberal establishment going oh noooo what have you done foolish Italians, voting for a comedian instead of people who understand economics. It reinforces the idea that there's no serious credible alternative, and shifts the argument away from one about economic policy and people's lives, to one about leftist jokers and how people have to be ruled and forced to take their medicine. It's poisoning the well. At least France is backing them up, maybe we'll see a change yet

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Fluo posted:

Daily Mail:

British Gas have announced huge profits but still the bills go up.

quote:

“It’s endlessly fascinating. From up here one can see the strained worried faces of mere mortals as they struggle to pay their gas bills.”

Holy gently caress what is this. Is someone secretly filling in for Mac while he's on holiday or something?

(I'm not going to the website to find out if the quote is really "lucky profits are up, those hoodies are breaking into your car again")

Also that Telegraph one. CON LAB LIB DEM, CARTOONIST OF THE YEAR

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah but it shows a smidgen of awareness and even class consciousness there, especially in how the caption is worded. It's like he almost gets it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I wonder what classic paintings the Express cartoons are based on?

Seriously this is what I see every time one's posted:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I've always taken the big fur cup as "gently caress up", but am I incorrect? I figure it's as simple as that but seeing how many symbols and layers Rawson puts in his work it got me thinking maybe I'm incorrect.

I was wondering where it started (I guess 'storm in a fur cup' answers that one!) but it ain't without precedent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeoeIPG_YrY&t=1416s

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jedit posted:

Osborne has lost face. It's that simple.

Or he put so much stock in 'saving face' that it's all that's left of him in recent cartoons. That's the great thing, his devices work on so many levels they can be used in all kinds of situations!

What's the deal with his bent fingers though? Is it an actual physical characteristic (like the Blair eye thing) or is it another metaphor?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Niric posted:

Even for the Express, this is terrible. There's not even any attempt at a joke here, it's literally just saying "immigrants are violent."

And what the gently caress is everyone wearing?

Seriously, I think it's a project to see how bad you can make cartoons and still get them printed at face value in a national newspaper. The carefully drawn birds are a hidden symbol of integrity

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Niric posted:

The wife is there, presumably, to demonstrate he's not a suspisciously single middle-aged man, you know, one of those types (and for someone to be horribly, horribly xenophobic at).

Yeah and honestly her entire expression just looks like one 'what the gently caress' reaction to it. Except everyone always looks like that... well except the royal family apparently

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I enjoy the way that everyone always looks like :stare:, so when you get someone vaguely realistic and toned down like that chauffeur it has the effect of making them look sinister. The :stare:s know too much and he has orders to kill. Death's shadow flits briefly across the sun

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Fluo posted:

Daily Bird:

The bird today is in one of the creases on Vicky's scarf!

Ohhh I thought it was Huhne's brow and nose sketching out a rising phoenix. Seriously, it feels like whenever it's time to draw someone recognisable the Express cartoonist gets help from 'that nice person with the grown-up's pen'

And you can tell Mac loved every second of that cheesecake sketch. I bet there were variations...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Fluo posted:

Daily Express:

:awesome:

It's amazing how people like Rowson can crank out a visually arresting, complex tableau of metaphors and references in a day, while the Express prints something an eight-year-old drew on their dinner break and still manages to be several days behind the news

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Niric posted:

This is interesting. The other day Murderion made the astute observation that the Telegraph cartoons tend to present the Government (or at least the Tories in Government), even when being critical, as the victims of overwhelming circumstance. While this cartoon isn't exactly Bellian-levels of the Chancellor in a bondage suit loving over the poor, it shows him on his own and without any outside forces intervening, while implying that everything he has tried so far has been an abject failure and that he is completely out of ideas.

Yeah but it's still 'gosh darn it he's plucky and trying!' It's more like a realisation that the budget is going to be poo poo and things are going to continue to be poo poo, so we have poor poor Gideon trying his best to pull it out, but the little escaping moth from his pocket shows that he's broke and he has nothing to work with.

Which is still disingenuous as gently caress because he's not the victim of circumstance, he's a victim of his own 'work' and his own policies. He's the one who decided to slash spending, borrow as little as possible despite it being the cheapest it's ever been, and to stubbornly focus on THE DEFICIT while the obvious consequences grinds the economy down more and more.

His job is literally being the economic caretaker, using his control to plan and manage flows in capital and productivity through policy and the government's fiscal actions. The results of his caretaking are a massive failure, but he's constantly portrayed as though it's somehow nothing to do with him, and that ~conditions~ are making his job hard. Try loving up at your job and making that excuse

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ Maybe we can ask Hugh Grant to get Mac fired

Niric posted:

I think your anger might be a little misplaced here. I'm not trying to defend the Telegraph (or the Chancellor for that matter) but rather noting how the implication of the cartoons has changed.

For example, in these the Chancellor hasn't actually done anything wrong- although they are loosely critical in the sense that they suggest he is unable/incapable of dealing with the problem at hand, being shown as indecisive/'paralysed' in two of them:

Oh wasn't venting at you, sorry if it came across that way. I was just pointing out the Torygraph is consistent in presenting Osborne as fighting against overwhelming 'external forces', instead of facing the consequences of his own actions. It depicts him as a passive reactor instead of the most active participant , so he's framed as the plucky hero trying to turn things around instead of someone who's actively creating this situation. I mean I agree the tone is different in that last one, but following the theme of the others it's still 'plucky George trying his best', although he's totally impoverished (as though refusing to borrow isn't entirely a policy choice he made). Maybe there's more pessimism, but it still seems to be squarely placing Osborne outside of any circle of blame. A victim of circumstance :(

I mean here's my reading of the others that follows the exact same 'he's doing his best although the odds have been stacked against him' theme:

He's being pulled in every direction, everyone has conflicting advice and demands, almost as though there's no correct choice to make! And if there is, clearly these people don't know what they're talking about. Poor George is trying to stay focused and do his best

Plucky George looking stoic and focused - he's about to be crushed by those exterior forces he controls in real life (never mind the fact that borrowing offsets tax cuts so they're not opposed), but there he his with his mind on the job like a true hero, protecting the budget from powerful, thuggish influences that would ruin everything. He's going to get hurt but he's doing his best

I've never seen George Osborne with his sleeves rolled up in my life, but here he is looking like a man putting the hard work in and hoping to see the fruits of his labours. Things must finally be looking up now, right? Oh no, external influences have ruined all of George's hard graft! 'D'oh!' he says, 'foiled again like a working class sitcom character who just can't catch a break'. Poor George, no matter how hard he tries things just never go his way. But he does try

Here's George depicted as someone stepping into the hero role, trying to fix an external situation (in this case a recession which is independently terrorising people). As though the entire situation is new to him, he opens the armoury to see what weapons someone else has made available to him, and - oh no - it's a tiny catapult. George is surprised and dismayed! How could he have known he had nothing to work with? Once again outside influences have conspired against him. He'll try his best, but once again fate has dealt him a bad hand. Poor George

Following that line (which is how I've basically been seeing all of the Telegraph cartoons) I don't really see the magician one as being very different, he's still the hapless hero with nothing to work with, doomed by circumstance. There's no real implication that any of it is his fault, which is where I really take issue with their tone. It could be a serial comic strip titled 'Poor George' and nobody would bat an eyelid. As far as the Right eating itself goes, you could easily subtitle that strip 'Labour's Mess'

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 20, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Daktar posted:

Nah, it's your standard expat move. Go somewhere warm (where they have massive prawns, Stu) and live in little British enclaves without ever learning the local language or interacting with local people, all the while writing tofor the Daily Mail to complain about immigrants doing the exact same thing back in the old country.

Just a minor tweak

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

cloudchamber posted:

Boris had a disastrous interview on the Andrew Marr show last Sunday, which people are saying could affect his chances of becoming Prime Minister. In the cartoon he's hit a snag in his zip-wire. viz, he's hit a snag on his way to number ten.

Not the best picture but you get the idea

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hah, it's funny 'cause up here in Iceland we've been having unseasonably warm weather for the year, 'cept a few weeks back and our Brits seem to mingle a little bit at least.

I'd assume that any Brit moving to Iceland had some interest in the country and culture and so on, instead of just going to a typical summer holiday destination so they can pretend they're in a hotter version of Britain

Puntification posted:

Ah right thanks, yeah I had only heard of the interview not seen it and I didn't recognise that thing as being boris, it looked like someone was smashing a bail of hay into their own face.

..............and???

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

The Rolling Stones are to play the Glastonbury music festival. Link.

That would have been a passable visual gag without someone explaining the joke in the middle of it. It's like even he thinks he's a lovely cartoonist

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I appreciate you rounding these up Fluo. Actually I never really appreciated them before this thread, so thanks for that!

Also kinda can't wait to see how terrible the Express's April Fool's 'joke' will be. Probably something about how the weather's warm......... not!!!!!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I bet those lambs were alive when he got there.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Payndz posted:

"IDS takes living on benefits challenge."

Except, er, he hasn't. And won't.

For god's sake, I skimmed that as "IDS takes on living on benefits challenge" and let it slide, since he is arguing about it. That's flat out bullshit

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Cloud Potato posted:

Telegraph: (or is it tomorrow's?)

There's so many stupid things about this I don't know where to start

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Niric posted:

I'm not really seeing the connection between Ophelia and Ed; am I just being dense here? As far as I can tell, the cartoon is suggesting that the (affected) grief at Thatcher's death is drowning (out) Miliband and/or leaving him floundering. And this makes him like Ophelia because she also drowned?

quote:

Ophelia has fallen into the river from a tree overhanging it, while gathering flowers. She lies in the water singing songs, as if unaware of her danger ("incapable of her own distress"). Her clothes, trapping air, have allowed her to temporarily stay afloat ("Her clothes spread wide, / And, mermaid-like, awhile they bore her up."). But eventually, "her garments, heavy with their drink, / Pull'd the poor wretch from her melodious lay" down "to muddy death."

Maybe it's a comment on how all the affected grieving and tributes are being used to push the Tory agenda, and Miliband is happily floating along with it, unaware that it's going to punish him

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Looks like the real Mac is back from his safari hunting trip or whatever he gets up to.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

GuestBob posted:

Does anyone actually like Michael Gove? I am pretty sure it's just David Cameron and Gove's mother at this point.

It must be really crap to be education secretary if you can't actually enter a place of education without being in fear of someone throwing something at you or punching you. I mean, could you imagine Gove walking across a university campus anywhere in Britain? He would end up in a blopdy heap with a birkenstock poking out of his arse.

You're assuming he gives a gently caress though. He gets to do whatever he likes, even if everyone with any knowledge on the subject is shouting that he's wrong and causing terrible damage. He probably sees the hostility as further proof that he's right and taking firm, decisive steps that are absolutely necessary. I think hubris sums it up

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I think it's meant to be a parody of US cartoons - the ordinary people are sat staring at the news, terrified of all the terrible things and perceived dangers in the world outside... but the real threat to them is tighter regulation of gun ownership. (The big push to bring in tighter gun control after all the recent shootings and massacres was defeated this week.)

Basically it's a Kelly, especially if the threat of having stronger gun laws is represented by an actual gun aimed at them. Make it black and white, have Kelly in the corner saying 'guns don't kill people - lawmakers do' and you'd be there

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

BastardySkull posted:

Have you noticed that the Express cartoons are often extremely off topic sentimentalist shite. I mean the one about 'Kate's baby WILL be Queen'.. well yes. They changed the law a few months ago in case its a girl. It just reads like weird propaganda.

And the Winnie the Pooh thing too I suppose.

I can feel brain cells giving up and dying every time I look at one. I could give the terrible art a pass if the setups were clever or insightful, but half the time it feels like he just wants to make some banal observation that's popped into his head, like if you gave some crayons to your average right-winger on their lunch break and said 'here, try making a cartoon'.

I sort of hope it's someone knowingly making awful cartoons and getting paid by a horrible newspaper for 5 minutes' work. Seeing how far he can push it before they realise he's taking the piss. The detailed birds always seem like a statement of integrity, completely out of place and showing actual care and precision. Like a secret symbol - yes these cartoons are intended to insult the reader's intelligence, welcome to Bird Club.

And that Torygraph cartoon is a new low I think? Let me tell you about the REAL victims of torture

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The cartoon's accurate in the sense that he's become A Big Deal just because they won't stop publicly fighting a lost cause. He doesn't even need to do anything except appeal any decisions against him - the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the government and the media does the rest. The oxygen and firelighters and lighter fluid of publicity. If they'd just shut up and banned him from using the internet or whatever, nobody would even remember he existed.

Everything else about the cartoon is the direct opposite of reality though

Guavanaut posted:

I took it as a suggestion rather than an observation. A good cartoon.

Good point! I assume that's what their nightmares are about anyway (it's not like they have a conscience between them) so we may as well make their dreams a reality

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 25, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I bet if you found Paul Thomas's house it would look just like that

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Mr. Squishy posted:

How rural do you have to be to get all your news from placards left propped against a stone wall.

Funny you should say that

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's also hilarious to see it falling out of IDS' mouth after the tories have been blocking the lib-dems tying such benefits to income throughout the coalition.

Actually there's an important distinction there - the Lib Dems are talking about means testing, so wealthy people lose benefits they don't need. Basically moving some of the burden of welfare cuts off the poor.

IDS doesn't support this idea, he's appealing to wealthy people's sense of charity. No taking from the rich, that only happens to people who actually need welfare - instead it's entirely optional, altruistic even, for them to graciously give back some of the handouts money they deserve, and feel like they're sharing the country's burden.

It's like when right-libertarians say that all tax is theft, that they shouldn't be forced to pay to fund the welfare system, and if it were abolished then private charity would totally take up the slack and provide just as much welfare, if not more! Except nope, we've been there, funnily enough it was poo poo. Making it optional is a way of soothing the consciences and bank managers of the wealthy, without doing anything useful for society. It's moral cover for them and the Tories, that's all

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I actually think there's a closer one than that, although it might just be the cut and paste Cameron

• Locked thread