Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

From the old thread, which is now closed as mentioned by the WM of the SA Lodge, there is indeed a rather US centric view. To help out international candidates and more specifically those from the Netherlands, here is the link to the weblodge of Het Groot Oosten der Nederlanden, a regular Grand Lodge recognized by the UGLE.

Perhaps some of our international brethern can share their weblodges with us? We put our trust in the GM of the SA WL to update his opening statement with all WL's that might pop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Thatim posted:

This might be abit of a personal question..

But at what age did you decide to join? And how did you found out about the Freemasons in the first place? How did your surrounding (friends, family) react to this?

I am curious about this because the Freemasons aren't really that well known where I come from (Holland), and I know nobody who is a brother. I feel abit hold back to visit a Lodge, as I feel I am abit too young (21) and thus might not be able to contribute much.

I decided to join around 30 but that was after about 20 years of waiting for my inner voice to say I was ready.

My friends weren't all that surprised and wanted to know what took me so long. About 5 or 6 men whom I already knew just joined or joined in the same period, thsoe were some pleasant surprises.

We will be having an evening for those interested in the lodge building in Zaandam in a few weeks (our building in Amsterdam is being renovated) so how about you pm me about this?
Our lodge has people of all ages join, sometimes 19, sometimes 60+. Most joining are beginning 30s, no clue why that is. Another lodge I visited last month in Leiden mostly had people joining in their 40s, 50s so it varies.

I forgot to tell you about my families response which were all supportive. Their reasoning was that it is an assembly to improve yourself, there is no reason to oppose that.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 26, 2012

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Thatim posted:

Indeed, it is a great thing you did Lovable Luciferian.

And everyone, thanks for awnsering my question. I understand it is not much a matter of age, but if you feel "ready".

Keetron; I do not have bought rights to use the PM system. I do have a "spam-mail" adress you could email, if you have the time to email me the details? I am not sure it is already time for me to have a look, I think I still have some reading to do :) Anyways, the email adres is

Send you a message, you can remove your adress now as crawlers don't care for the spoiler tags.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Thatim posted:

How do most freemasons deal with this?

Smile and wave boys, just smile and wave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPDeC7hyzRY

To be honest, I never had anyone go batshit insane on me but some people think I joined a cult or something and ask me pointy questions to make me see the error of my ways. Normally I change the subject.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

With the prospect of being raised to the degree of MM in some 4 months and my very limited knowledge of the ritual involved, I decided to work my flabs off and get ripped in time. Find my log here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527330
Hey, bettering yourself is not only about your mental work but also about being strong and healthy not to burden your brethren with your physical disabilities when it is so easily evaded.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

FreshFeesh posted:

I've just posted many of our 2013 installation photos to our Lodge's Facebook page. More than a month of stress and planning for everything to come together for two hours. Still though, a great time was had by all.

You are the smug goon in the blue shirt?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lord1234 posted:

Seems BMW is anti-masonic(or at least thinks we're similar to a satanic cult).

http://themasonicblog.blogspot.com/2013/02/mercedes-benz-super-bowl-commercial.html

I thought it was rather funny to be honest.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

QPZIL posted:

Does this mean me and Satan are bros now

If you own a black SLK hardtop with red leather seats, then yes.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Most of the time, my lodge operates in the 1st degree which makes sense as degrees take about 12 to 15 months each.
An EA visiting other lodges will be accompanied by an MM, FC's should as well but this is often ignored depending on the mother lodge. 7thB being unable to attend a few months is unfortunate but I have all the faith in his loyalty to the craft and I am sure he will be welcomed when returning. Just be sure to pay your dues and practice your degree work in the meantime.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Slightly different, but the date is set and I will be raised to MM on the 19th of March. If any of you guys is in the vicinity of Amsterdam, NL, Europe, please drop me a pm as I would be thrilled if you'd visit and be present there.

It might not be entirely clear to you guys, but you are a big facilitator, a big catalyst, how you wish to put it, in my membership of our fraternity. Mr Bill, QPZIL, Lovable Lucifarian are some of the Brothers that were early in the first edition of this thread whose names I remember. You made me think and rethink and think again about my membership and while SA is often misunderstood, I am glad I can call all FM goons my Brother.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

7thBatallion posted:

My WM just contacted me via Facebook asking where I have been, and if I want to head to Daylight Lodge #232 up in Green Lake. By the time meetings come around there at 10am on Saturdays I'm utterly exhausted, and usually still asleep, but when the WM offers to bring you to a lodge, you don't really turn that down, do you?

You don't, no. Just explain your exhaustion and ask for an extra stop on the way to get a double-shot cappuccino or whatever works for you. And it is good to hear they are looking out for you.

Today my next door neighbor, whom I knew by his first-name and nothing more, was found dead in his bed. Seeing he died about two weeks ago, the entire floor of my apartment building smells and I probably was the last one to have seen him alive. Somehow your WM calling you is comforting, don't you think?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Local Resident posted:

Why are you guys pushing the price of buttcoins back down to below $30?

Well, in the part of the SA forums that you guys cannot see, there is a little pool going on and to be honest, together with the mods we have a lot of money riding on short-selling the butt-coins. It will be all taken care of in a couple of days because, as you point out by posting, it is getting suspicious so we are cashing out.
Prices will go up later next week, no worries.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

qraham posted:

I've always been curious about the freemasons; my great-grandfather was a mason in England during the great depression, and my grandmother always said that they basically survived off the charity of his... brothers? In a certain sense I'd be interested in investigating my local lodge if only to reignite that tradition in my family.

But if I'm being completely honest, the thing that is most intriguing is the idea that being a mason might help my career in some way; I've heard stories of people getting jobs or promotions because they did the right handshake with the right person. Can you guys speak to this at all?

Tradition is a fine reason to seek out Freemasonry, but be sure you pursuit the tradition because you feel comfortable with it. Today I talked to a guy who would make a fine Mason but he told be his brother (from the same mother) once was a member and he left. Good thing about that was that the brother (from that same mother) refused to explain in detail to his brother (ftsm) what made him leave, as he still stood by his pledge to not reveal secrets or details. Bad thing was that the man I talked about had a former member as his only reference. So I gave him my contact details for any question he might have now or in the future, if only for an alternate perspective.

About jobs, first let's say it doesn't work like this and these stories are from those who fear and oppose Freemasonry. It makes sense to paint a group you are no member of in such a light so the storytellers are not to be blaimed. But how about this point of view?
You are in an environment where a group of men who are looking for a direction in life come together to do good works, be these works on themselves, amongst their fellow members or towards society as a whole. Imagine how this will influence you and your well-being, your perspective on life and your dealing with the people around you, inside and outside of this group.
For whatever reason, you join in, you do your community work, you study the ancient landmarks, you listen to your fellow members if they happen to be in distress or if they happen to have a pleasant story to tell. You also notice these people listen to you, accept you for who you are and will support you in the hardships you run into while continuing this road we call life. All this will strengthen you, your confidence will grow and you will develop to actually be a better man.

Now imagine you to be a boss of two more or less similar employees, one who is your generic guy, he keeps his promises, works hard and is an overall nice guy family man. The other guy is also nice, finishes his work in time, keeps his promises and is kind to small animals. Besides this, when you talk he will listen, he will be interested in your well-being and he once told you about the volunteering he does.
Now one of this will be promoted and the other not. That is when Freemasonry will help you progress in life, because of what it makes you become. I hope this answers your question. The jobs and promotions happen, not just because you are a member, but because of the merits it brings you in life and your boss better not be a Mason, that is a horrible relationship to have towards a Brother (the kind you find in lodge).

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

7thBatallion posted:

Keetron, don't I owe you like, $250 or something?

Something like that but not that much.
You were to pay me back when you would be able to, no matter how long that would take. I was, and am, trusting that we as Masons will follow through on our obligations. Feel free to email / pm me when you think you should pay me back. Please only do so when it will not endanger your fees for another year in the craft.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

FreshFeesh posted:

It's no different than a member transferring from another US state or Canadian province, honestly. Each jurisdiction is managed/governed by/reports to/is chartered under a particular Grand Lodge (e.g. of California, Utah, Mexico, Spain, et cetera). Requesting a dual/plural membership may take a bit longer due to language barriers, but there shouldn't be any trouble provided the forms are all filled out and the respective Grand Lodges recognize each other as Masons (very, very, very rarely an issue).

Unless you are living in France, in which case you might want to reconsider altogether and rather join a lodge that reports to a Grand Lodge from another country. There actually are French lodges that requested the GL from another country to join them as the French GL that will be formed is not likely to have any future anyway.

If you want to know more about FM in France, go hogwild on google as it is a loving mess.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Welcome Brother.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Whoa! What is wrong with Kentucky? They make awesome chicken and this weird tasting jelly but some FM details would be nice.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

QPZIL posted:

That's kind of a bummer. I would love to pick up an 18th or 19th century apron and wear it to lodge.

Depending on the cost, you could just grab the apron and wear it to lodge and see what your brothers say. In our lodge we have a few Brothers who came from other GL and they sport awesome aprons, as opposed to the plain white/blue ones the rest of us have. Nobody gives a poo poo. And this triggers me that if I even switch lodges, I will grab an awesome apron from somewhere and pretend I had it all the time.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I think we are allowed to talk to anyone, just not go into masonic details.

Anyway, was raised yesterday and now I can call myself MM. That was something different entirely, I must say.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

:munch:

But seriously, how about the part where any club can set the rules on how the club should function? You want to create a chess tournament for women? You go ahead and shun men. You want to hold a darts competition for men? You go ahead and refuse women. You want to host a dance competition for couples and two gay men who are the top of the same-sex league want to join? You turn them away because two men are stronger then a man-woman couple and thus at an advantage.

Some time ago there was a guy with dwarfism but who was rather large for a dwarf wanted to join the club for very tall people, the club had as a rule that you needed to be over 7 feet to join. However, he argued, he was tall for a dwarf and thus he should be allowed to join or did the tall people, who already had all the advantages in the world handed to them (like the ability to conduct independent grocery shopping and reach things high up), secretly hated the little people?

You know the Mensa society? The one you need to have a certain IQ score to be able to enter? Well, I think they should accept all people, regardless of IQ, as all people are created equal and barring some people to join because of how they are born is a form of racism and we stupid people want to check up on them to ensure they will not round us up in working camps or straight to the gas-chambers while we are there anyway.

Everybody is created equal, people are different. It is not that hard.

If you might or might not have noticed, I really dislike your tone of voice, Carbolic. If you think Masons are jerks for not allowing women in, just say so. But stop beating around the bush like a pussy and say it loud, like a man/woman.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Nope, it is not like that under the GOdN.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

QPZIL posted:

Grand Orient de Nantes, i.e. the Grand Orient de France.
Nope, it is het Groot Oosten der Nederlanden, The Grand Orient of the Netherlands. A regular lodge with a charter from the GLoE.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Ah, well, that sort of proves my point.
What point?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Okee guys, fess up, who has been messing around without telling here? I had to backlog my trades to be able to turn a hefty profit, an effort I would rather not have had.
http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/04/10/215227/bitcoin-value-collapses-possibly-due-to-ddos

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Hm, speaking for myself only, my future answer to the "no-females" rule is going to be "Because we don't want it that way." That should suffice.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Thank you for acknowledging the derail for what it is.

Masonry is a diverse group, some are fat, some are really tall, some are rather small, some men have a dark skin and some have a lighter skin and there is a whole bunch in between. Some of these men fancy men, some of these men fancy women and some of these men don't care for gender. The core of what is required to become a member is that you are a free man of good standing.

Aside from this, there are lodges all over the world and no doubt there are members that could do with work on their cultural understanding. You know, like most real people.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Sure, hit me up with a pm or email if you prefer, username at gmail.

Same email thing here, I will listen and advise if needed.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

7thBatallion posted:

A man died tonight. Suicide. I'll never know what went through his mind, nor how long he has planned this. Odds are I know him maybe in passing, maybe he's one of my drinking buddies. All I know is it was in my neighborhood. If I can get time off work, I plan on attending his funeral. A suicide is a sad thing, and even if I'm the only person there, even if I can't say a single thing about him, he was someone I've no doubt run across, and by that, it is my duty to pay my respects.

When I was initiated, I was told that I was to wear my Apron, my symbol of purity throughout a honorable life until the day I pass from this realm to that house, not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. Is there any reason whatsoever I cannot wear it there?

Two things on this, there was a similar situation in my apartment complex a few months back.
1. Ask the family if they would appreciate your presence. Cannot contact any family, just go.
2. Get a lapel pin and wear that on your suit. You will have the brotherhood with you without distracting the people who are wondering why you have a white square in your crotch at a funural.
2a. Go, you will not regret the effort put into honoring a stranger.

Did you receive the full work on paper? Use a voice recorder or Audicity or something to record the parts from the other guy and then practise in solitude.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 3, 2013

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

My proposal is to be careful with the hat discussion, lest we not repeat the schism that occurred in Belgium in 1987 when the vote on Top Hat vs Bowler basically ripped the already irregular Grand Lodge apart into three camps.
Now you think I am joking, but if you look into masonry in Belgium, you'll see it is not that far from the truth.

Now in all seriousness, if you deny any form of Higher Power then Masonry will offer you nothing you cannot find at other places such as the Rotary. If you call yourself an Atheist but in fact you despise organized religion such as the catholic church but you do in fact think there is something out there, you are more of a deist and welcome as a brother. In general, it would be wise to focus on reasons why one can join instead of reasons why one cannot join.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

7thBatallion posted:

Hey now, I never said despise. I just avoid.

Good thing I was not talking about you but about actual religion hating atheists who confuse "don't believe in a God" with "gently caress you church". The more passionate the atheists, the more of a believer they are. It is the agnostics you should worry about, the ones who don't know and don't care.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Must read for every proper Mason who likes graphic novels:
http://www.amazon.com/From-Hell-Alan-Moore/dp/0958578346/

After being raised I read it again and it is so much better now. Anyone can suggest another piece of reading that a proper Mason should not miss?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Do we have a goon from the Maidstone Masonic Centre (Bearsted Lodge)?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

KweezNArt posted:

Saw that in the news when it all went down -- I gotta say, I honestly wasn't expecting someone so young to have ponied up for it. Pleased to see that philanthropy isn't entirely lost on my generation. :P

At least it is good to see that there are more Masonic organizations out there that are neglecting their financial responsibilities. I mean this in the best way possible, mismanagement of funds can appear anywhere is what I am trying to say.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

This post is to comfort, not to start a religious discussion, but some guy who lived about 2000 years ago said:
"Split a piece of wood: I am there. Lift a stone, and you will find me there."

The stuff is not important, the people are.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Now even infiltrating HONY:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Innerguard posted:

Not quite following, sorry. I can see the GL of Mass, but don't get anything else.

Sorry about that, it was a reference to Humans of New York, a photoblog that did a side trip to Boston:
http://www.humansofnewyork.com/post/48318073178/im-better-with-questions-than-answers

And of course I meant that Masons are everywhere, once again infiltrating popular media.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Loomer posted:

So, if I was interested in joining Masonry, how much would Moore's From Hell spoil for me? I've avoided reading any details of rituals etc but I'd like to read it, only masonry is supposed to be a big part of it.

I read it around the time I was applying to become a mason and before I was told to try not to spoil/ruin the rituals for yourself. If you read it for what it is, a work of fiction, and realize that everything there is made up but based on the true story of Jack the Ripper killed whores in 18th century London, you should be fine.

Of course, I am only telling you that because Allan Moore left out the goat almost entirely as do most writers. Shame is what makes them do it tho, as the only way to know about the goat is to have gone through the motions yourself...

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Send them an e-mail, don't be an atheist, and do have a penis or male gender identity. Also don't be a dick. That's pretty much it?

When I was interviewing this came as well: "Don't mind ritual work." But questioning ritual work before or after joining would fit in "don't be a dick".
Some decades ago, when apparently my lodge had a long winded discussion about a candidate and his background, our now WM got up and shouted: "Is he a free man of good name and does he know how to eat using a knife and fork? Yes? Good, that is all we need to know!" The discussion was closed and to this day these are the questions we ask ourselves when voting for a candidate.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

The key thing was freedom of association in groups that have some sort of.membership. Not sure about the exact rules in your country but here is pretty firm in the law.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Lovable Luciferian posted:

The trick is to not use a fork at all. They'll be impressed that you can eat spaghetti with a spoon.

Without going into the secret details here, but the food is not the thing the "fork" is needed with most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Take a shower before hand and make sure you're wearing clean underwear.

This is good advice no matter what the situatiin at hand. You are cheating in giving advice.