Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Macaroni posted:

Questions about curved TVs:

1) Is there any tangible advantage to the curve, or does it just look fancy?

2) Assuming there's a reason to buy one, will it work with a standard wall mount or do you have to buy a special one?
I never sat close enough for the curve to be immersive. You'd have to be a 7 year old playing their Nintendo on the floor in front of the media center (or a 35 year old dealing with the NES Classic tiny cords) for it to be noticeable.

As for the mounting, the Samsung set I had used these plastic spacer pads that went on the back of the set, between the mount plates and the TV back. I think it was to give the plate a flat surface to grab on to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Congrats! That new TV sheen is always cool, even if it does take a minute to get the best setup done.

Random question: if I'm looking at an OLED I probably want the E9 because it's the one that can do variable refresh right?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Big Bad Worf posted:

It can seem like a bummer to feel like you're buying a disposable set, but honestly, 5-7 years from now, there'll be a compelling reason to upgrade.
My first Big Purchase was a Mitsubishi 52" RPDLP which was absolutely massive in the house I shared with the roomies. We went from like a 36" tube to that thing that blocked out 3/4 of the window.
Didn't have HDMI and it was 1080i, but man it felt great.

Thing lasted from like 2007 through 2014 and it was just so ancient feeling by the end. Audible fan noise, depreciated "HD" standard, the back was a nest of cables to make it olay nice with the reciever...

I hate the idea that the purchase I make today I'll bin in a few years, because I remember having the same 14" TV from like age 7 to age 19, but poo poo changes and that itch to chase Cinema Quality Purity sometimes gets nagging.

American McGay posted:

You can already get a C9 for 1000/1600. I don't see them going any lower than that until next Feb.
Agh. Around $1k is my trigger for the OLED but I want to be dumb and get a 65 for the living room. Guess I'll just go and be fiscally responsible for a whole longer.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 3, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wow, that Vizio P QX model is pretty drat cheap.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KodiakRS posted:

I'm on the fence between an LG C9 65" and a Vizio P QX 75". The TV will be used mostly for streaming service/youtube/cable with the occasional video game thrown in for good measure.
Iirc the QX doesn't have the adaptive sync options of the LG so it's slightly less futureproof.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Other than HLG and Variable Refreshrate/HDMI 2.1, is there anything bleeding edge cool on the horizon?

Or is that a CES question.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Boxman posted:

is it by default fine to run through a wall?
I think the best way is to drop a junction box in with power. You're likely installing some kind of switchplace for the AV anyway. So might as well adhere to code.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

EL BROMANCE posted:

4K, HDR, and generally 10 years of progress with regards to LCD/LED/OLED.
And the menus. Unless you really hate the smart features and apps.

For content: we have a 2011ish 3D Samsung. When you hit the apps button, it minimizes the video to a small window to display all the apps and options. (Not like many of them work anymore, though)

Our 2018ish Samsung will bring up a scrollable menu on the bottom and slightly dim the screen to make it stand out. The process is a lot smoother.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 26, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
How's this one for you:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-50-Class-M-Series-Quantum-4K-Ultra-HD-2160p-HDR-Smart-TV-M507-G1-2019-Model/844120122

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's crazy that it went from 32" HouseBrand with dodgy internals to, like, a 75" TCL.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm in the market to buy something new and from what I'm reading (and I need my hand held on big purchases like this), the 65" LG OLED C9 that I can get off Amazon for ~$2k is the "overall" best of the not-stupidly-expensive TVs now?
You could get the Samsung Qled P Quantum X for about the same, but the Oled C9 has support for Variable refresh rates which will likely be big in the next gaming gen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Has anyone been keeping an eye on 82 and 86 inch Black Friday deals? Does anything stand out?

This 82" was at Sam's Club but the price wasn't too crazy

Was reading something about Samsung's plans to develop QOLED screens. I guess the Super OLED like from some years back was their first stab, but burn in was an issue. Looks like they're aiming for 2025 releases.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 29, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Josh Lyman posted:

Don’t sleep on the Fire TV stick. I did a side by side with the Roku and surprisingly the Fire TV came out on top. Notably, the processor is hella fast.
We had a Fire Stick and the updates eventually caused it to run like rear end. Ditched it for a Roku box and have been way happier ever since.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Residency Evil posted:

I remember reading something about LG's 2019 OLEDs not having full HDMI 2.1 support (maybe no 4k/120hz support) / spotty support at some point. Is that still the case? Am I misremembering?
Variable refresh was patched in recently in a firmware update. I think the B9's processor can't do 4k/120 but the C9 can.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

wandler20 posted:

Do you have Prime? Go watch the Grand Tour.
Don't support that knob Clarkson.

Go watch Disney+ instead! :shepspends:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AndrewP posted:

4K HDR on Youtube
Think we found the problem here.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Taima posted:

even if it was logistically possible to invade your privacy on the personal level, no one cares beyond selling it for marketing.
Well it's an interesting issue. The average person still feels like their appliances should turn on, do the thing, and turn off. The idea that they're also reporting usage, collecting voice data to improve machine learning poo poo, having their data sold off for marketing purposes or whatever seems like a transgression. There's no indication it's doing that, and for many people it comes off as invasive or dishonest.

The bigger issue is the idea that we should just be ok with companies collecting our information and then selling it off, with no recourse or say.

And there's an extremely small subset of people that have legit privacy concerns, like people working for Gov Contractors or military-adjacent folks.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

H110Hawk posted:

The motion sensor is a crime against humanity.
Our old curved Samsung had a "smart" remote with motion that was, I poo poo you not, activated when you touched the middle of the directional pad (that was also the Enter button).

Guess how many times we had to cancel an Amazon Video purchase because the motion cursor activated when we were choosing PLAY but hovering over BUY SEASON...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BonoMan posted:

Looks like it's confirmed LG will show off a 48" OLED at CES this year.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/2/2...C5CjKVxZYCgIXXc
They've been pimping their NanoCell screens too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
LG might keep their pricing to be seen as a premium brand. Or wasn't there talk like 15 years ago that the early Vizio sets used Name Brand screens that were just slightly below QA standards and were cheaper?

poo poo I'd love a cheap OLED screen this year for Xmas.

VvV
Ooooh yeah. Futher reason to run from the Voice Activated remote. Gonna cross my fingers and see if a 65" B9 can be had for $700 later this year

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 5, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Looks like some of Sony's offerings will have ATSC 3 built in. Wqs that finalized already cuz goddamn if I buy an OLED and need to upgrade in 3.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

EL BROMANCE posted:

This guy I’m just lost for words. Yeah gamers are falling over themselves to buy your 20” RCA tube TV from 1991.

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/ele/d/fort-lauderdale-vintage-rca-20-crt-tv/7050843012.html
Yeah, no, I'd consider giving someone $40 for that. Doesn't have RCA but the faux-wood and metal-plate remote are kitschy enough to make a retrogame setup work for me.

In addition to what Tricky Ed said about CRTs, there are certain tricks that console programmers used to get effects to work that don't quite translate to digital panels all that well. Sonic games, for example, used the interlacing on a CRT to help create a transparency effect for waterfalls which doesn't quite work as nicely on a modern screen.

Adding to Ed's second point, things were made in mind for the CRT limitations. I noticed that the SNES Classic's FF6 text is slightly distorted. There are these interesting 'shadows' that accompany the text but don't 100% match the letters. On a modern screen it just appears to make the text a little jaggy. But when I pop the FF3 cart into my old SNES and play it on a CRT, what happens is that the initial text fades in and the 'shadow' artifacts pop in after to help give the text definition and set it apart from the background slightly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You have a plasma, so you probably don't upgrade too often?

If so, the C9 is a solid choice that you won't be regretting 5 years down the line.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Not really TV related but kind of?

The new Escalade is packing a shitload of screen space and it's all OLED stuff so I'm wondering what the 4-5 year lease returns will look like and how they'll mitigate burn-in.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Residency Evil posted:

Ugh I should have bought that c9 when it went on sale for 1600 in November. Waiting for either another deal on the c9 and/or the C10 is getting old. Doesn't look like they discounted around the Superbowl at all this year.
I don't like watching someone suffer like this, so here's the deal:

You buy a C9 for yourself, and one for me.
You'll get the C9 and then you can rest assured your money was well spent. And in the back of your head, you can be like "WOW this is such a great picture... but I feel like maybe I overspent so when the C14 comes out with ATSC 4, Bluetooth QX, and HDMI 5 with Sensurround 3D and support for VR I'll DEFINITELY get a deal"

That sound good?

If not, Let's loving GO. Click the link, make the purchase.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Residency Evil posted:

That's my point. I'm not paying $2500 for a 65" C9 when they were $1600 a few months back. Last year, they went down in price to Black Friday prices around the Super Bowl. This year, that didn't seem to happen.

Ah, so you need a 65?

Yeah I can see how that might be harder to find.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

American McGay posted:

I wouldn't trust a used or refurbished OLED.
LG's apparently (silently) replacing sets with burn-in for an additional 2 years or so. My guess is they're not making a big announcement because they don't want to shake confidence in the things.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Paul MaudDib posted:

So, to be clear, costco is probably not going to follow those nutty prices down during clearance season right?
Not unless they want me murdering old people for those sweet OLEDs.

Currently their deal is a SquareTrade warranty with an OLED purchase. LG also gives you a free year's of Disney+. Not rock bottom pricing by any means but the squaretrade deal might be worth it if you already extend the warranty by paying with a Costco Credit card.

Oh someone wake Residency Evil because
the B9 65" is on sale for $1500 at Newegg

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

fuf posted:

My mum needs a 32 inch TV as cheaply as possible. All the reviews for 32 inch TVs are pretty terrible, especially the cheap ones.

Should I get her a 32 inch monitor instead? They seem cheaper, surprisingly.
32's are pretty unwanted because of how cheap and massive the 42+ market gets.

At a cheap price point, I would worry that a monitor would have lovely refresh and smear the image.

Does it need to be 32 because of space issues? Does it need to be like $50 cheap? There are Vizios on Amazon for like $200 at 40ish inches that would be ok.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
eARC, Bluetooth 5, Gen3 processor, Auto Low Latency detection, and some expanded Dolby Vision/HDR options.

It doesnt have ATSC3 so it's not a killer futureproof upgrade. You'll be fine with a C9.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
C9 is basically the go to if you want to bling out your TV watching experience/gaming.

The C10 (CX actually) is this year's model and it isn't out yet.

You can also scrimp a bit and do the B9 but it uses a slightly older processor than the C9.

Note that OLEDs degrade over time, everyone worries about Burn In, and there is slight judder visible to some, but the picture quality can't be beat.

As for LED tvs, I think the Samsung QLEDs and Vizio P-Series Quantum X are the alternative go-tos.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My Vizio 5.1.2 bar does a weird thing where the audio just disappears for a second when i raise or lower the volume. It's probably TV related. Just havent had time to dig into it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Congratulations on the end of our long national nightmare.

What made you go with the E9?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
With all the CoronaQuarantines, sales will either be great or stock will be flying off the shelves and sales will suck. Who knows!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Costco had a P series Q-X floormodel for 750 and drat did I want to upgrade.

Too bad it's not getting G-Sync or VRR and has no HDMI 2.1

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Paul MaudDib posted:

speaking of which... how do people feel about display models?
I got one of those at Costco (probably just a post-superbowl return). It's had one weird hiccup with HDR but otherwise it's been solid.

Mine came with an included 2 year Squaretrade policy. So I get the 1 year manufacturer + 2 year Costco/Costco Credit extension and then the Squaretrade on that.

I figure if it shits the bed I'm pretty well covered.

Anyway, I'd try and take a look to see what the floor model settings are like. Is the backpanel light cranked to 100? Running lots of static images? All that might affect the set a bit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

movax posted:

Or, pick up a C9/E9 and just call it good?
The way things are going, you will likely be ordered to stay home for a good while. If you have the money, go get a C/E9 today and call it good.

More specific comparisons from The Webs:

CX vs C9 posted:

CX has support for FreeSync versus C9 which does not).

CX supports 4k120 over HDMI 2.0 (via 4:2:0), while C9 will not be getting this feature.

CX has 120Hz BFI versus C9 which does not (this is a major upgrade and will improve near-black uniformity by 50%)

CX supports Cinema Motion Pro which is probably double-shutter and/or triple-shutter emulation of 24fps content.

CX includes Aloha-9 Gen 3 processor while C9 includes Alpha-9 Gen 2 (~half as fast/powerful)

CX has Ambient AI (or whatever ir’s called which will modify gamma/EOTF based on ambient light conditions while C9 does not.

And a somewhat deeper dive into the specs from AVS Forum.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

A MIRACLE posted:

Need at least 1080p. Old tv is 720. I don’t want a tv that can listen to me or watch me with a camera
The 42" Oleds are out in June, if you want to wait.

movax posted:

The BFI and other 120Hz type stuff is useless to me if the first thing I do is go into the TV and death-purge every single interpolation setting, right? Or has it actually gotten not lovely now?
Some people like it for animation, apparently.

The X line has a Theatre pro setting that takes all that poo poo away for you, too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's an Open Box Return of a 65" Vizio P Series QX st my costco that's taunting me. $750+tax with 5 years Squaretrade.

My Samsung 55" from 2017 is starting to look too dim to my old eyes :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

Should I ask about soundbars here or elsewhere?
Friend, there's a first audio system thread you can hit up.

If you're space/budget limited a soundbar will be "fine". It'd say spend $250 on one of the Vizio 5.1 bars with wireless subs. $50 sounds pretty meh. Dr. E linked a 2.1 Vizio for like $130.

Consensus is get a modest reciever and some ok speakers for really good sound. I've got a 5 year old Onkyo and a mishmash of speakers, but I hooked it up during a long weekend and goddamn the difference between that and my 'bar was really obvious.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 28, 2020