Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

movax posted:

why hasnt someone thrown haali or someone a huge pile of money to license a mkv splitter? softsubs might be a different story (vsfilter :gonk:) but at the least you could still decode the es

e: transcoding for viewing is the irl devil

pagancow posted:

The legal issue:
Licensing is a nightmare becuase MPEG-LA owns a lot of the patents in "video and audio stereams in a single file". Combined with all the other features of the container, who knows what other patents it potently violates in different countires? Do we have patent lawyers that are familiar with MKV's features? type halp than /quit

The Engineering Issue:
This format can support so many different codecs, streams, subtitle formats, multiples of all of these. How do we handle this in a way that doesn't piss off our customer when their TRANSFORMERS.8.REPACk.10BIT.H.265.mkv doesn't play back? What about future formats? What? Now we've got to pay for a DTS-HD license because its the original audio format? What if someone makes a .mkv file that contains so many streams that it crashes our TV and loads some arbritrary payload? What if I want to go home at 5:00PM today instead of implementing a container format used 95% of the time to pirate video files?
$40 LG and Samsung blu-ray players can play MKV now. They can even play 10-bit encodes. Since they're already licensing h.264, aac, ac3, and all the codecs, it's a simple matter of just adding the ability to read the container.

Raere posted:

m4v is an apple format i think (MPEG-4 video)
m4v is just mp4. Usually it indicates that it only has a video stream in it, like m4a indicates only an audio stream, but obviously no guarantees.

RZApublican posted:

are there any video websites besides youtube that use webm? google has managed to re-enconde pretty much everything on youtube as webm but I don't think it's exactly taking over the world like they said it would
Big Buck Bunny and Sindel and all those free Blender movies have WebM encodes.

Doc Block posted:

They weren't DVDs (though somebody did make DVDs that would start to degrade after being exposed to open air). They were discs encoded with the DivX codec instead of MPEG-2, and used a different copy protection system IIRC.
No, DIVX discs were MPEG-2 and basically the same as DVDs. The DivX codec (a renamed MS MPEG-4 v3 codec) came later and was so named to poke fun at the failed DIVX discs.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
New H.265 video standard approved, will allow for high-quality video at half the bitrate

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/25/3917072/new-h-265-video-standard-approved-will-allow-for-high-quality-video-half-bit-rate

"Yeah, take that fansubbers, your 10bit encodings are out of date now! Start encoding yours in H.265 so nobody can play it."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

people are literally arguing about codec packs in tyool 2013 :ughh:
VLC Supremacy

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.tested.com/tech/web/453188-what-you-should-know-about-h265-video/

"H.264's successor is coming...eventually. The video codec has been approved, but won't change the face of web video with support for 4K and 50% lower bandwidth costs until chips with hardware decoding capabilities are released in 2014."

"Interested in a super technical description of how H.265 works compared to H.264? Read these snippets from the Overview of the HEVC Standard white paper:

"The core of the coding layer in previous standards was the macroblock, containing a 16×16 block of luma samples and...two corresponding 8×8 blocks of chroma samples; whereas the analogous structure in HEVC is the coding tree unit (CTU), which has a size selected by the encoder and can be larger than a traditional macroblock. The CTU consists of a luma CTB and the corresponding chroma CTBs and syntax elements. The size L×L of a luma CTB can be chosen as L = 16, 32, or 64 samples, with the larger sizes typically enabling better compression. HEVC then supports a partitioning of the CTBs into smaller blocks using a tree structure and quadtree-like signaling.

...new features are introduced in the HEVC standard to enhance the parallel processing capability or modify the structuring of slice data for packetization purposes. Each of them may have benefits in particular application contexts...

H.265 adoption will be slow until mass hardware support is behind it, which seems to be at least 18 months away.
1) Tiles: The option to partition a picture into rectangular regions called tiles has been specified.

2) Wavefront parallel processing: When wavefront parallel processing (WPP) is enabled, a slice is divided into rows of CTUs...WPP provides a form of processing parallelism at a rather fine level of granularity, i.e., within a slice. WPP may often provide better compression performance than tiles (and avoid some visual artifacts that may be induced by using tiles).

3) Dependent slice segments: A structure called a dependent slice segment allows data associated with a particular wavefront entry point or tile to be carried in a separate NAL unit, and thus potentially makes that data available to a system for fragmented packetization with lower latency than if it were all coded together in one slice."

pagancow posted:

it's icon is a traffic cone

so you know to avoid it.

and yet you still have it
Better than a codec pack

imo thats what you get for watching the matrix in tyool 2013
Original DVD version in cardboard case before they made it all super green tinted supremacy

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Nomnom Cookie posted:

so x264 is better then

can you turn my avis into x264s, i can email them (gmail has an attachment limit so they'll have to be multipart rar files i think)
Just upload them to Youtube and email the unlisted links

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

pagancow posted:

3d animation btw, the most american of animations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmSzVR9g27c
I think you mean Canadian

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Wheany posted:

so, an animated gif?
Anigifs can't change palette every frame.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sweevo posted:

yes they can
They can change colors every frame but they're still limited to the same 256 color palette every frame.

Well you can stack palettes to have more than 256 colors but that's sort of breaking the specification and also that's not changing the palette per frame.

Shaggar posted:

Michael Bay owns unironically.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507949

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hard NOP Life posted:

Why don't :filez: just distribute HD rips in mp4? That would solve so many of these issues since they are already encoded as h264, is it because mp4 doesn't support their stupid subtitles or what?
Because AC3 audio isn't supported in MP4 containers. All the SD releases of TV shows use AAC audio and mp4 containers.

Shaggar posted:

the autisms that rule ~*TeH sCeNE*~ stuck w/ mkv for hd when they switched from avi to mp4 (which took way longer than it should have).
The scene standard is to use MP4 containers if the audio is AAC.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

yeah I think it's mostly related to how subtitles and multiple audio tracks are handled that ended up with MKV as the container because it literally does not give a gently caress what you add as a track to a file. i think you can mux a binary as a track in MKV, it doesn't give a gently caress. a player wouldn't know what to do with it, but MKV is content to take whatever you shove down its gullet
Nope, it's all about AC3 audio, which is standard in ATSC television broadcasts (because American standards are bad) and on BluRay discs.

Only the ~anime fansubberz~ and ~anime ripperz~ care about subtitles and and all that other crap, but they are not the scene, and they don't care about the scene standards.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 28, 2013

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

lord funk posted:

hard subs were good in night watch. in fact they were amazing in night watch.
Night Watch had fantastic subtitles, they did far more with them than any of the ~anime fansubberz~ did in their entire history of hardsubbing. It's too bad they didn't do the same for Day Watch.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
When Youtube Asks "Your video is shaky, would you like to fix it?" this is why you say NO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvUbrltie8

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

pagancow posted:

and it wasn't some scrub encoder, it was x264 at 17 CQ
Is there any benefit to going below 18? I guess if the grain is that bad...?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

nigga crab pollock posted:

okay pagancow or rly anyone else can you explain how codecs and containers and hardware decoding and poo poo works because even though i was pretty sure i understand i keep saying wrong things so idk

also if its just a container then why is it such a pain in the rear end slash impossible to get something from h.264/aac video in an mkv to the same in mp4 because for some reason nothing plays mkv's?? even though it supports the mp4 with h.264 and aac audio?? gently caress??? gently caress

feel free to go :spergin: w/ a wall of text because im legit confused now i guess
Open the file up with AVIDemux, leave audio and video set to copy, choose MP4 as your format, and save the new file. Voila.

Of course it will give you a warning since the audio is most likely AC3 and you are trying to put that in an MP4 container which isn't ~standard~, but it will let you do it and software like VLC will play it. If you want to re-encode the audio, just change the audio to AAC and you're good.

pagancow posted:

yeah it doesn't help that ~ThE ScEnE~ thinks that everybody has DTS-HD 7.1 decoding equipment at home + the ability to monitor anything resembling surround sound on your desktop OS most likely running on a laptop...

BUT YOU GOT ALL THE DTS BITS!!!!
If you want re-encoded audio then get the SD MP4 versions. If you want HD then you might as well take the original audio as well since the video is already taking up so much space.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

pagancow posted:

Yeah but this still doesn't explain why ~teh ScEnE~ insists on delivering 7.1 DTS-HD mixes in video files for people without money or sound systems to play them back.

Install Gentoo posted:

scene rules are as much about making things hard to encode as they are about anything else
Ummm no. In this case the rules are about not re-encoding audio when you don't have to. The bitrate for the HD version is high enough that any space saved by re-encoding the audio wouldn't make much of a difference at all. Same reason why 2CD rips back in the day just used the original AC3 audio.

Today, if you want your re-encoded to AAC audio, get the SD version.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

pagancow posted:

I just find it funny that ~TeH ScEnE~ requires you to encode your video as x264 even though all the things they list are basically "how the video is encoded already" but then "nooo dont touch the audio!!!", you'll spend 20 hours encoding a video, but nah dont even bother touching the audio.

i'm surprised they aren't like "yeah it MUST be nero aac encoder because its FREE1!!!"

http://www.sbytes.info/NFOwb.php?id=tbdx2k10
Because there is a LOT of space to save in re-encoding (and re-sizing) the video, not so much with the audio?

Also x264 is still the best h.264 encoder by far, but with AAC who cares? I mean they probably are using NERO but even FAAC is fine now.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

pagancow posted:

yeah but this is pirate world where the thing that makes sense is to re-encode a video stream even though you're going to make it the same size, but not re-encode the audio so it plays on something other than your pirate pc codecs and an audio decoder that is probably more expensive than your TV.
Same size? What? The standard for 720p (downsampled) is a DVD and the standard for 1080p (not downsampled) is a Dual Layer DVD - far smaller than the original Blu Ray. The only things that are the same size are not re-encoded at all.

pagancow posted:

I would pay for a movie if all movies weren't crap

*wonders why nobody makes movies for them becuase they don't pay for anything*

*movies are made for a different audience who doesn't watch sperg mkvs on their laptops in bed*
But didn't the Avengers make like a billion dollars? Or is that just an example of the king of spergy movies that somehow managed to have mass appeal?

Install Gentoo posted:

why can't mkv encapsulate the menu system of the original discs thats what i want if im going to have to deal with a format that doesn't play natively
As JumpinJackFlash pointed out, Blu Ray menus use Java. They are a big old bag of hurt.

If you want to keep the menus just get the disc image.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EogJVdJwFjo
vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ7SO4xm-Ow

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

pagancow posted:

They both look rigit compared to Traditional WB/Disney stuff from the 90s when everything was done by Hand before being scanned into the comptuer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21zx7F1och8

This is a TV show too so they were more concerned about finishing on time rather than quality.

Yes Disney used CAPS to scan in, but the computer didn't assist in drawing stuff for them compared to two examples you gave up there.
Ummm... everything in the first Teen Titans vid was done by Hand. None of the puppeting or flash tweened animation people were complaining about. Did you just watch the intro and nothing past that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EogJVdJwFjo&t=120s

Also this episode had a lot more effort put into the animation than most episodes of Animaniacs, though they clearly skimped on the backgrounds in comparison to Animaniacs. So yeah ~tradeoffs~.

Unless you were just talking about entirely digitally drawn animation versus the hand painted cels which were then digitally scanned in and digitally painted animation of the 90's?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 11, 2013

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Didn't Windows XP MCE ship with an MPEG-2 decoder/DVD Player?

pagancow posted:

I'm pretty sure it's computer assisted, as in some of it is drawn by hand, but then animations are tweened and repurposed. It's how they are able to get proportions to stay really nice throughout the entire animation, but it feels rigid and souless for the most part.

There are some custom animations in there that do feel hand drawn, but a run cycle or anything that loops is manipulated in the computer to save time. Traditionally, every animation had to be drawn by hand, and any looping was done in editing, because digital compositing was not time efficient back then. Today it is, and I see bits and pieces of it in the video sample you gave me.
Teen Titans was mid 2000s WB animation so I'm pretty sure they composited it digitally. Also of course the cycles were done digitally, as all editing was.

And all the tweening was done by underpaid Korean labor.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Wheany posted:

the staff at youtube must have had particularly terrible recorders if their vhs effect causes that

here is some genuine vhs quality :smug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mES3CHEnVyI
That's pretty awesome

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Just use VLC

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Thunderbolt can handle Firewire if you want it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Resplendent Spiral posted:

Also also: what is up with... At the edge of broadcast video very very occasionally will appear little dots going all over

some kind of frame time stamp? Why is it there still
VBI data

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

univbee posted:

build your own antenna with this one weird trick made by a single mom!

cable companies hate her!

http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.ca/

$15 worth of material, only one of which (the coax adapter) was sorta-hard to find. Best goddamn thing I ever did.

I can even get the U.S. broadcast of the Super Bowl and see all the Super Bowl commercials you guys keep raving about.
You can also just glue two large squares of tinfoil to a giant rectangle of cardboard and attach the balun to the corners of the tinfoil (screws through the cardboard work fine) and chances are it will do the trick, no need to make a fancy yagi antenna.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ahmeni posted:

holy poo poo they're setting up a printer and the thing has RGBS input and the output on the machine is HD-SDI

two standards i did not know even existed
BNC connectors for hd quality media in tyool 2013
BNC is actually a really good connector because it can be secured.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Does anyone make a tuner that takes in ATSC/QAM and outputs HDMI, and can be sent channel changing signals over HDMI LIKE GOD INTENDED?

Sorta like all those $40 americanski-subsidized converter boxes but HDMI instead?

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

has anyone ever had avidemux, um, work

every time i try to do something like cut a file up or apart or anything it just shits everything all up

why no i didnt want that to be in sync, thank you avidemux
Using 2.5.6 ?

It's technically the last stable version and the last version with the drat queue/jobs system working but sometimes using the latest does help keep things in sync, especially when cutting and joining a lot of AAC.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 27, 2013

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Shaggar posted:

yes, Scientific Atlanta a division of Cisco Systems
That's not a cable box I have to rent from the cable company?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260027

seems so

i have no idea if this si poo poo but fwiw i had a kworld capture card a few years ago that worked without complaint for as long as i had it. i only took it out because it messed with pro tools but that's probably more on pro tools being a complete diva than anything
Hmmmm...

No audio over HDMI

Stereo audio only (how are they messing that up? Shouldn't it just be passed through?)

No channel changing over HDMI

Well not a bad start.

Also expensive for what it is, but I guess the market is small.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

pagancow posted:

I'm at my parents house and they are watching Nikita and they are like "this is the greatest tv show its so good!!!" and all I can see is open shutter shots all over the place, lol what is this scrub tier poo poo?

who shoots open shutter?

180degree master shutter race, gods one true shutter speed
To be fair the good qualities of Nikita have nothing to do with it not looking cheap as poo poo. See also the white house set that's like a closet and a hallway

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
A guide for encoding through CLI (Command Line Interface)

GUI vs. Command Line (cmd)
The reason of using cmd is that it won’t restrict you. You can do everything that an encoder (x264.exe) can do. However, in a GUI you have to follow the GUI’s limitations. For instance you can’t use AQ-Method (3 and 4), as a GUI would not recognize / approve that command. As a result, you’ll either get an error or GUI will force the program to close.

And cmd is very easy to use and it’s very diverse. You just need to get used to it. (It gives a cool impression too xD. When you hear a hacker hacked an account, first thing you say is “awesome, he hacked it”, not why? or how? XD)

How to use Command Line

Things that you need to get before encoding via CLI.
1- ffmpeg.exe – Put the (.exe) file after Dling, no installation.
2- 10-bit, x264.exe (video and audio encoder) – Put the (.exe) file after Dling, no installation.
3- neroAacEnc.exe (only audio encoder) – Put the (.exe) file after Dling, no installation.
4- mkvmerge.exe (Optional) – DL it, Install it and get the (.exe) from there.

I recommed that you use 32-bit, or x86, versions.

Creating a Command (Line)

- Command Line Interface will do some work only when you give some valid command to the system.

- Commands can be written on notepad, any text editor, or CLI window.

- If you are writing the commands on any text editor, it will probably be saved in (.txt) format by default. That won’t activate CLI. You’ll have to save your written code in (.bat) format. To do that simply hit “Save as” and at the end of the filename add (.bat) extension.

- If you run (double click) any (.bat) file, the commands written inside the (.bat) files would be forwarded to system and if they are valid they’ll be processed, otherwise CLI window will be closed automatically without doing anything.

- It means that all you need to do for CLI-encoding is write valid commands, save it in (.bat) file and run it later on. Encoding will start as according to what’s written in the (.bat) file.

General Info of writing Commands

I won’t talk about heavy and complex commands, rather just skim over general idea of command formatting.

code:
Executable_file(.exe) commands_specific_to_that_(.exe)_file
Executable file could be anyone like mkvmerge.exe -or- x264.exe
To know what kind of commands / features can be used for a mentioned (.exe) file you need to have some knowledge. Like:

code:
neroAacEnc.exe -ignorelength -lc -q 0.5 -if - -of encoded_audio.aac
It can be gained via browsing internet, personal experience, and logfiles etc.
As this is a guide, I’ll make sure to let you know the requisite commands to encode a video file.

Settings from Logfiles

Well, every (.exe) file has a logfile which explains the settings, or features, that can be done. To get the logfile of any (.exe.) via CMD, you’ll have to make a short command. This will also serve as a practical of making a (.bat) file.

Make a new folder, somewhere nice. Place following files in it.
- ffmpeg.exe
- x264.exe
- neroAacEnc.exe
- mkvmerge.exe

Open a notepad, and write this:

code:
x264.exe --fullhelp
@pause
Save this file by hitting “Save as”. Name it whatever you wanna name it, but select the extension (.bat); after that, save it in the same folder. It will be appeared as a “Windows Batch File (.bat)”. Run it by double-clicking. You’ll get something like this.

code:
x264 --fullhelp
x264 core:120 r2120 0c7dab9
Syntax: x264 [options] -o outfile infile
Infile can be raw (in which case resolution is required),
or YUV4MPEG (*.y4m),
or Avisynth if compiled with support (yes).
or libav* formats if compiled with lavf support (yes) or ffms support (yes).
Outfile type is selected by filename:
.264 -> Raw bytestream
.mkv -> Matroska
.flv -> Flash Video
.mp4 -> MP4 if compiled with GPAC support (yes)
Output bit depth: 10 (configured at compile time)

Options:

-h, --help List basic options
--longhelp List more options
--fullhelp List all options

Example usage:

Constant quality mode:
x264 --crf 24 -o (output) (input)
Two-pass with a bitrate of 1000kbps:
x264 --pass 1 --bitrate 1000 -o (output) (input)
x264 --pass 2 --bitrate 1000 -o (output) (input)

Lossless:
x264 --qp 0 -o (output) (input)

Maximum PSNR at the cost of speed and visual quality:
x264 --preset placebo --tune psnr -o (output) (input)

Constant bitrate at 1000kbps with a 2 second-buffer:
x264 --vbv-bufsize 2000 --bitrate 1000 -o (output) (input)

Presets:

--profile Force the limits of an H.264 profile
Overrides all settings.
- high10:
No lossless.
Support for bit depth 8-10.
- high422:
No lossless.
Support for 4:2:0/4:2:2 chroma subsampling.
- high444:
Support for 4:2:0/4:2:2/4:4:4 chroma subsampling.
--preset Use a preset to select encoding settings [medium]
Overridden by user settings.
- ultrafast:
--no-8x8dct --aq-mode 0 --b-adapt 0
--bframes 0 --no-cabac --no-deblock
--no-mbtree --me dia --no-mixed-refs
--partitions none --rc-lookahead 0 --ref 1
--scenecut 0 --subme 0 --trellis 0
--no-weightb --weightp 0
- superfast:
--no-mbtree --me dia --no-mixed-refs
--partitions i8x8,i4x4 --rc-lookahead 0
--ref 1 --subme 1 --trellis 0 --weightp 1
- veryfast:
--no-mixed-refs --rc-lookahead 10
--ref 1 --subme 2 --trellis 0 --weightp 1
- faster:
--no-mixed-refs --rc-lookahead 20
--ref 2 --subme 4 --weightp 1
- fast:
--rc-lookahead 30 --ref 2 --subme 6
--weightp 1
- medium:
Default settings apply.
- slow:
--b-adapt 2 --direct auto --me umh
--rc-lookahead 50 --ref 5 --subme 8
- slower:
--b-adapt 2 --direct auto --me umh
--partitions all --rc-lookahead 60
--ref 8 --subme 9 --trellis 2
- veryslow:
--b-adapt 2 --bframes 8 --direct auto
--me umh --merange 24 --partitions all
--ref 16 --subme 10 --trellis 2
--rc-lookahead 60
- placebo:
--bframes 16 --b-adapt 2 --direct auto
--slow-firstpass --no-fast-pskip
--me tesa --merange 24 --partitions all
--rc-lookahead 60 --ref 16 --subme 11
--trellis 2
--tune Tune the settings for a particular type of source
or situation
Overridden by user settings.
Multiple tunings are separated by commas.
Only one psy tuning can be used at a time.
- film (psy tuning):
--deblock -1:-1 --psy-rd :0.15
- animation (psy tuning):
--bframes {+2} --deblock 1:1
--psy-rd 0.4: --aq-strength 0.6
--ref {Double if >1 else 1}
- grain (psy tuning):
--aq-strength 0.5 --no-dct-decimate
--deadzone-inter 6 --deadzone-intra 6
--deblock -2:-2 --ipratio 1.1
--pbratio 1.1 --psy-rd :0.25
--qcomp 0.8
- stillimage (psy tuning):
--aq-strength 1.2 --deblock -3:-3
--psy-rd 2.0:0.7
- psnr (psy tuning):
--aq-mode 0 --no-psy
- ssim (psy tuning):
--aq-mode 2 --no-psy
- fastdecode:
--no-cabac --no-deblock --no-weightb
--weightp 0
- zerolatency:
--bframes 0 --force-cfr --no-mbtree
--sync-lookahead 0 --sliced-threads
--rc-lookahead 0
--slow-firstpass Don't force these faster settings with --pass 1:
--no-8x8dct --me dia --partitions none
--ref 1 --subme {2 if >2 else unchanged}
--trellis 0 --fast-pskip

Frame-type options:

-I, --keyint Maximum GOP size [250]
-i, --min-keyint Minimum GOP size [auto]
--no-scenecut Disable adaptive I-frame decision
--scenecut How aggressively to insert extra I-frames [40]
--intra-refresh Use Periodic Intra Refresh instead of IDR frames
-b, --bframes Number of B-frames between I and P [3]
--b-adapt Adaptive B-frame decision method [1]
Higher values may lower threading efficiency.
- 0: Disabled
- 1: Fast
- 2: Optimal (slow with high --bframes)
--b-bias Influences how often B-frames are used [0]
--b-pyramid Keep some B-frames as references [normal]
- none: Disabled
- strict: Strictly hierarchical pyramid
- normal: Non-strict (not Blu-ray compatible)
--open-gop Use recovery points to close GOPs
Only available with b-frames
--no-cabac Disable CABAC
-r, --ref Number of reference frames [3]
--no-deblock Disable loop filter
-f, --deblock Loop filter parameters [0:0]
--slices Number of slices per frame; forces rectangular
slices and is overridden by other slicing options
--slice-max-size Limit the size of each slice in bytes
--slice-max-mbs Limit the size of each slice in macroblocks
--tff Enable interlaced mode (top field first)
--bff Enable interlaced mode (bottom field first)
--constrained-intra Enable constrained intra prediction.
--pulldown Use soft pulldown to change frame rate
- none, 22, 32, 64, double, triple, euro (requires cfr input)
--fake-interlaced Flag stream as interlaced but encode progressive.
Makes it possible to encode 25p and 30p Blu-Ray
streams. Ignored in interlaced mode.
--frame-packing For stereoscopic videos define frame arrangement
- 0: checkerboard - pixels are alternatively from L and R
- 1: column alternation - L and R are interlaced by column
- 2: row alternation - L and R are interlaced by row
- 3: side by side - L is on the left, R on the right
- 4: top bottom - L is on top, R on bottom
- 5: frame alternation - one view per frame

Ratecontrol:

-q, --qp Force constant QP (0-81, 0=lossless)
-B, --bitrate Set bitrate (kbit/s)
--crf Quality-based VBR (-12-51) [23.0]
--rc-lookahead Number of frames for frametype lookahead [40]
--vbv-maxrate Max local bitrate (kbit/s) [0]
--vbv-bufsize Set size of the VBV buffer (kbit) [0]
--vbv-init Initial VBV buffer occupancy [0.9]
--crf-max With CRF+VBV, limit RF to this value
May cause VBV underflows!
--qpmin Set min QP [0]
--qpmax Set max QP [81]
--qpstep Set max QP step [4]
--ratetol Tolerance of ABR ratecontrol and VBV [1.0]
--ipratio QP factor between I and P [1.40]
--pbratio QP factor between P and B [1.30]
--chroma-qp-offset QP difference between chroma and luma [0]
--aq-mode AQ method [1]
- 1: Variance AQ (complexity mask)
- 2: Auto-variance AQ (experimental)
--aq-strength Reduces blocking and blurring in flat and
textured areas. [1.0]

-p, --pass Enable multipass ratecontrol
- 1: First pass, creates stats file
- 2: Last pass, does not overwrite stats file
- 3: Nth pass, overwrites stats file
--stats Filename for 2 pass stats ["x264_2pass.log"]
--no-mbtree Disable mb-tree ratecontrol.
--qcomp QP curve compression [0.60]
--cplxblur Reduce fluctuations in QP (before curve compression) [20.0]
--qblur Reduce fluctuations in QP (after curve compression) [0.5]
--zones //... Tweak the bitrate of regions of the video
Each zone is of the form
where
is either
q= (force QP)
or b= (bitrate multiplier)
--qpfile Force frametypes and QPs for some or all frames
Format of each line: framenumber frametype QP
QP is optional (none lets x264 choose). Frametypes: I,i,K,P,B,b.
K= depending on open-gop setting
QPs are restricted by qpmin/qpmax.

Analysis:

-A, --partitions Partitions to consider ["p8x8,b8x8,i8x8,i4x4"]
- p8x8, p4x4, b8x8, i8x8, i4x4
- none, all
(p4x4 requires p8x8. i8x8 requires --8x8dct.)
--direct Direct MV prediction mode ["spatial"]
- none, spatial, temporal, auto
--no-weightb Disable weighted prediction for B-frames
--weightp Weighted prediction for P-frames [2]
- 1: Weighted refs
- 2: Weighted refs + Duplicates
--me Integer pixel motion estimation method ["hex"]
- dia: diamond search, radius 1 (fast)
- hex: hexagonal search, radius 2
- umh: uneven multi-hexagon search
- esa: exhaustive search
- tesa: hadamard exhaustive search (slow)
--merange Maximum motion vector search range [16]
--mvrange Maximum motion vector length [-1 (auto)]
--mvrange-thread Minimum buffer between threads [-1 (auto)]
-m, --subme Subpixel motion estimation and mode decision [7]
- 0: fullpel only (not recommended)
- 1: SAD mode decision, one qpel iteration
- 2: SATD mode decision
- 3-5: Progressively more qpel
- 6: RD mode decision for I/P-frames
- 7: RD mode decision for all frames
- 8: RD refinement for I/P-frames
- 9: RD refinement for all frames
- 10: QP-RD - requires trellis=2, aq-mode>0
- 11: Full RD: disable all early terminations
--psy-rd Strength of psychovisual optimization ["1.0:0.0"]
#1: RD (requires subme>=6)
#2: Trellis (requires trellis, experimental)
--no-psy Disable all visual optimizations that worsen
both PSNR and SSIM.
--no-mixed-refs Don't decide references on a per partition basis
--no-chroma-me Ignore chroma in motion estimation
--no-8x8dct Disable adaptive spatial transform size
-t, --trellis Trellis RD quantization. [1]
- 0: disabled
- 1: enabled only on the final encode of a MB
- 2: enabled on all mode decisions
--no-fast-pskip Disables early SKIP detection on P-frames
--no-dct-decimate Disables coefficient thresholding on P-frames
--nr Noise reduction [0]

--deadzone-inter Set the size of the inter luma quantization deadzone [21]
--deadzone-intra Set the size of the intra luma quantization deadzone [11]
Deadzones should be in the range 0 - 32.
--cqm Preset quant matrices ["flat"]
- jvt, flat
--cqmfile Read custom quant matrices from a JM-compatible file
Overrides any other --cqm* options.
--cqm4 Set all 4x4 quant matrices
Takes a comma-separated list of 16 integers.
--cqm8 Set all 8x8 quant matrices
Takes a comma-separated list of 64 integers.
--cqm4i, --cqm4p, --cqm8i, --cqm8p
Set both luma and chroma quant matrices
--cqm4iy, --cqm4ic, --cqm4py, --cqm4pc
Set individual quant matrices

Video Usability Info (Annex E):
The VUI settings are not used by the encoder but are merely suggestions to
the playback equipment. See doc/vui.txt for details. Use at your own risk.

--overscan Specify crop overscan setting ["undef"]
- undef, show, crop
--videoformat Specify video format ["undef"]
- component, pal, ntsc, secam, mac, undef
--range Specify color range ["auto"]
- auto, tv, pc
--colorprim Specify color primaries ["undef"]
- undef, bt709, bt470m, bt470bg
smpte170m, smpte240m, film
--transfer Specify transfer characteristics ["undef"]
- undef, bt709, bt470m, bt470bg, linear,
log100, log316, smpte170m, smpte240m
--colormatrix Specify color matrix setting ["???"]
- undef, bt709, fcc, bt470bg
smpte170m, smpte240m, GBR, YCgCo
--chromaloc Specify chroma sample location (0 to 5) [0]
--nal-hrd Signal HRD information (requires vbv-bufsize)
- none, vbr, cbr (cbr not allowed in .mp4)
--pic-struct Force pic_struct in Picture Timing SEI
--crop-rect Add 'left,top,right,bottom' to the bitstream-level
cropping rectangle

Input/Output:

-o, --output Specify output file
--muxer Specify output container format ["auto"]
- auto, raw, mkv, flv, mp4
--demuxer Specify input container format ["auto"]
- auto, raw, y4m, avs, lavf, ffms
--input-fmt Specify input file format (requires lavf support)
--input-csp Specify input colorspace format for raw input
- valid csps for `raw' demuxer:
i420, yv12, nv12, i422, yv16, nv16, i444, yv24, bgr, bgra, rgb
- valid csps for `lavf' demuxer:
yuv420p, yuyv422, rgb24, bgr24, yuv422p,
yuv444p, yuv410p, yuv411p, gray, monow, monob,
pal8, yuvj420p, yuvj422p, yuvj444p, xvmcmc,
xvmcidct, uyvy422, uyyvyy411, bgr8, bgr4,
bgr4_byte, rgb8, rgb4, rgb4_byte, nv12, nv21,
argb, rgba, abgr, bgra, gray16be, gray16le,
yuv440p, yuvj440p, yuva420p, vdpau_h264,
vdpau_mpeg1, vdpau_mpeg2, vdpau_wmv3,
vdpau_vc1, rgb48be, rgb48le, rgb565be,
rgb565le, rgb555be, rgb555le, bgr565be,
bgr565le, bgr555be, bgr555le, vaapi_moco,
vaapi_idct, vaapi_vld, yuv420p16le,
yuv420p16be, yuv422p16le, yuv422p16be,
yuv444p16le, yuv444p16be, vdpau_mpeg4,
dxva2_vld, rgb444le, rgb444be, bgr444le,
bgr444be, y400a, bgr48be, bgr48le, yuv420p9be,
yuv420p9le, yuv420p10be, yuv420p10le,
yuv422p10be, yuv422p10le, yuv444p9be,
yuv444p9le, yuv444p10be, yuv444p10le,
yuv422p9be, yuv422p9le, vda_vld, gbrp, gbrp9be,
gbrp9le, gbrp10be, gbrp10le, gbrp16be,
gbrp16le
--output-csp Specify output colorspace ["i420"]
- i420, i422, i444, rgb
--input-depth Specify input bit depth for raw input
--input-range Specify input color range ["auto"]
- auto, tv, pc
--input-res Specify input resolution (width x height)
--index Filename for input index file
--sar width:height Specify Sample Aspect Ratio
--fps <float|rational> Specify framerate
--seek First frame to encode
--frames Maximum number of frames to encode
--level Specify level (as defined by Annex A)
--bluray-compat Enable compatibility hacks for Blu-ray support

-v, --verbose Print stats for each frame
--no-progress Don't show the progress indicator while encoding
--quiet Quiet Mode
--log-level Specify the maximum level of logging ["info"]
- none, error, warning, info, debug
--psnr Enable PSNR computation
--ssim Enable SSIM computation
--threads Force a specific number of threads
--sliced-threads Low-latency but lower-efficiency threading
--thread-input Run Avisynth in its own thread
--sync-lookahead Number of buffer frames for threaded lookahead
--non-deterministic Slightly improve quality of SMP, at the cost of repeatability
--cpu-independent Ensure exact reproducibility across different cpus,
as opposed to letting them select different algorithms
--asm Override CPU detection
--no-asm Disable all CPU optimizations
--visualize Show MB types overlayed on the encoded video
--dump-yuv Save reconstructed frames
--sps-id Set SPS and PPS id numbers [0]
--aud Use access unit delimiters
--force-cfr Force constant framerate timestamp generation
--tcfile-in Force timestamp generation with timecode file
--tcfile-out Output timecode v2 file from input timestamps
--timebase <int/int> Specify timebase numerator and denominator
Specify timebase numerator for input timecode file
or specify timebase denominator for other input
--dts-compress Eliminate initial delay with container DTS hack

Filtering:

--vf, --video-filter //... Apply video filtering to the input file

Filter options may be specified in :
= format.

Available filters:
crop:left,top,right,bottom
removes pixels from the edges of the frame
resize:[width,height][,sar][,fittobox][,csp][,method]
resizes frames based on the given criteria:
- resolution only: resizes and adapts sar to avoid stretching
- sar only: sets the sar and resizes to avoid stretching
- resolution and sar: resizes to given resolution and sets the sar
- fittobox: resizes the video based on the desired constraints
- width, height, both
- fittobox and sar: same as above except with specified sar
- csp: convert to the given csp. syntax: [name][:depth]
- valid csp names [keep current]: i420, yv12, nv12, i422, yv16, nv16, i444, yv24, bgr, bgra, rgb
- depth: 8 or 16 bits per pixel [keep current]
note: not all depths are supported by all csps.
- method: use resizer method ["bicubic"]
- fastbilinear, bilinear, bicubic, experimental, point,
- area, bicublin, gauss, sinc, lanczos, spline
select_every:step,offset1[,...]
apply a selection pattern to input frames
step: the number of frames in the pattern
offsets: the offset into the step to select a frame
see: [url]http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Select#SelectEvery[/url]

Press any key to continue . . .
This shows all the settings / presets / features that x264.exe can provide.
Similarly, you can get the same info for other (.exe) files.

Command for neroAacEnc.exe help:

code:
neroAacEnc.exe -help
@pause
Command for ffmpeg.exe help:

code:
ffmpeg.exe -h full
@pause
It will prove quite eye straining at first, as there are hell of settings etc. Once you get used to it, it’ll become a routine work.
Good news you don’t have to go through this necessarily, I’ll tell you what commands to use to encode a file. Rest is for your own interest.

Commands for Encoding a File

I’ll keep things focused to CLI so I’ll just tell what command to write rather than detailing about why using what features etc.

a) Video Encoding – Command

code:
x264 --level 5.1 --preset veryslow --tune animation --crf 23.0 --min-keyint 12 --scenecut 45 --bframes 8 --b-adapt 2 --ref 10 --weightp 2 --qpmin 10 --qpmax 51 --qcomp 0.6 --rc-lookahead 40 --direct auto --aq-mode 1 --aq-strength 0.8 --merange 24 --me umh --subme 10 --trellis 2 --psy-rd 0.40:0.60 --acodec none --output "Output.mkv" "Input.mkv"
- Input.mkv will be the file you want to encode.

- Output.mkv will be the file (video only) you’ll get after encoding is done. Name it whatever you want, except that it shouldn’t be the same as Input.mkv name. If the output name is same it will replace the input.mkv immediately and you’ll lost your input file resulting in no encoding and lost of input file.

Usually, you can encode audio by x264.exe, but I have disabled it. I use neroAacEnc.exe to encode audio separately.

b) Audio Encoding – Command

code:
ffmpeg -i Input.mkv -f wav -| neroAacEnc -ignorelength -lc -q 0.4 -if - -of Output_Audio.aac
- Input.mkv is the same file you used for Video Encoding.

- Output_Audio.aac will be the file (audio only) you’d get after audio encoding.

c) Merging files – Command

code:
mkvmerge -o "Final_File.mkv" --language "0:jpn" --track-name "0:Hi10 Encode @ CRF 23" "Output.mkv" --no-chapters --language "0:jpn" --track-name "0:2.0 AAC-LC @ 0.4" "Output_Audio.aac" -A -D --language "2:eng" --track-name "2:Styled Subtitle (.rear end)" "Input.mkv"
- Final_File.mkv will be file (including video, audio, subs, fonts, chapters) you’d get after merging.

- Output.mkv is the file you get from Video Encoding.

- Output_Audio.aac is the file you get from Audio Encoding.

- Input.mkv is the file you already have. (Source file you wanted to encode.)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/456719-best-crt-retro-games/

Tested did a huge effortpost on the Sony CRT monitor and the XRGB Mini and I think they've basically been lurking this thread. They also explain 240p thusly:

"Older consoles manipulate the NTSC timing to force the lines drawn on screen to overlap, rather than alternate," writes Daniel Corban, who, like Reich, is self-taught in the intricacies of video hardware. "This is where the term 'double strike' would originate; the lines are literally being repeatedly drawn on the same physical area of the tube. This is also what creates scanlines. On a digital display, the signal is simply handled as a 240-line progressive signal, hence '240p.' "

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

chumpchous posted:

how come big_buck_bunny is used as an example in everything
Free, colorful, and shorter than Sintel

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Cubemario posted:

xvid features only the best compression techniques
Hey remember when the DivX corp (as in the "hacked by gej" guys not the fake DVD player guys) created OpenDivX and got all the open source folks working on an implementation of MPEG-4 ASP and then when they had created something pretty decent they forked it into DivX 5 and closed the forums and then all the open source folks got mad and created XviD from the last fork they had and made it better than DivX 5

Install Windows posted:

oh cool something that will never be used
If it's anything like Vorbis it will only be used in like every videogame ever

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

hitze posted:

netflix gonna do 4k streaming at 15 megabits per second

alright then
So upscaled 1080p then

Jimmy Carter posted:

:siren: VLC 2.1.0 is out :siren:

I'm the rear end subtitles.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/26/4773282/vlc-adds-support-for-4k-video-playback-with-latest-update

YAY 4K

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

pagancow posted:

Netflix just unlocked "SUPER HD" bitrates for all customers now

you can stream your glorious 1920x1080 P videos at up to SIX MEGABITS PER SECOND
That's the same as Youtube 1080p right?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

pagancow posted:

Youtube is 4-6 mbps VBR for 1920x1080 h.264
Sounds the same as Netflix then.

Jimmy Carter posted:

so :filez: is still better than netflix (ignoring the MKV comedy)?
Well it depends since :filez: people do whatever the gently caress they want. Make a 720p 700MB encode of a 2 hour movie? WHY NOT

But assuming we're talking about something up to ~scene standardz~ then that would be about 8GB for a 2 hour 1080p movie, which comes out to roughly 4GB an hour (less if the movie is a bit longer than 2 hours obviously), which is about 67MB a min, which is 1.12MB (bytes) or 9mb (bits) a sec, which is indeed 50% more bitrate on average than Netflix or Youtube will give you. And that's not even taking into account that they use high profile, rather than baseline, and have standardized on x264 as an encoder (though I do not know what Netflix and Youtube use)...

So yeah :filez: will give you better quality as long as they obey :standardz:

weede catte posted:

what is the FLAC of video
I guess lagarith as mentioned, or HuffYUV (assuming your source is already 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 it's lossless), or Motion PNG I guess.

ahmeni posted:

one of the raw formats probs
Nah FLAC is compressed

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

spankmeister posted:

idk we kind of need an unencumbered codec for web
Some kind of web... m?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Cubemario posted:

i learned there's such a thing as a variable frame rate, with parameters for it that you can set

why would anyone use this :stare:
Recording videogames that can't maintain a completely stable framerate (i.e. all of them)

Also there are tons of TV shows that were recorded on film and displayed on video with 3:2 pulldown but have certain sequences where they were sped up to 29.97 or where effects/transitions were done at 29.97

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 6, 2013

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Qwertycoatl posted:

mpeg1 goes up to 4095x4095
Why not 4096?

pagancow posted:

install windows 7
Does Windows 8 not have a Dolby codec or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Is Premiere Elements 12 out for the mac yet?

• Locked thread