Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Excellent OP. Unfortunately, I don't know how to bookmark threads in the new forums so I'm posting to mark it, because Paradox games are pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gorgo Primus posted:

It's the star thing at top left.

Dammit. Thanks!

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Graham Gremlin posted:

I'm about 100 years into my first proper game of EU3 after being converted to Paradox games by CKII and I can't work out how Austria are kicking my rear end (Switzerland) so hard in the war they've just declared on me. I'm losing defensive battles where I have a numerical advantage, a general when they don't and cannons when they don't. Is there anything I could be missing out on that's causing my army to be crap? I've kept the military maintenance at full for basically the whole game since I'm making money hand over the fist and I've got full land vs navy on the sliders. It's just really winding me up since there's no reason they should be able to take me down as quickly as they are because they're fighting wars against Hungary and France and I've been financing Lombard uprisings in their territories pretty much every time I get a spy to try and whittle them down.

What's your Land Tech level relative to theirs?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fintilgin posted:

Maybe instead of having a mechanism where you 'sphere' a country and get all the resources, there could be a system where you 'invest' cash/diplomacy in a foreign STATE and get the resources of that state only. So France might have invested and gotten a monopoly in Guangdong and Britain has Jangsu and Anhui. You could use this everywhere, so instead of one Great Power saying "YOINK! I'll take Brazil" you'd be investing in particular Brazilian provinces that had the resources you wanted, and countries could be divided by different powers. A little more granular and less winner takes all.

This is a great idea, and would vastly improve how V2 handles trade.

Edit: You could even have investments give a proportional bonus to relations between the two countries, and/or allow sphering through military means, which would provide a similar proportional malus.

Nut to Butt fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 31, 2013

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There was a King of Dragon Pass LP kicking around here somewhere that inspired me to buy the game off of Gog.com. I played it for a number of hours, but it has all sorts of arcane rules, an extremely clunky interface, and it struck me as really very shallow strategically. It's much more of a text/CYOA game with a very meagre graphical overlay than a strategy game. I would not recommend it, but it's cheap and I don't know your taste in games so you may enjoy it. Just wanted to chime in and provide another perspective.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Criticizing it for not being a strategy game is really odd when it doesn't aspire to be a really deep strategy game or anything. Dunno if you were expecting a Paradox style game or not, but it basically is a COYA as you say, with a strategy metagame attached. Except it's an incredibly good COYA with lots of interesting events and a narrative that changes depending on the strategic choices you make. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who plays CK2 for the characters, and wants a way more character-heavy game without the complex strategy stuff.

The reason I criticized it for being light on the strategy was because it was recommended in response to this post:

Zip posted:

Maybe it's a terrible idea but I would love a fantasy themed strategy game of paradox ilk. Totally made up history.. controlling vampires or wizards or werewolf clans... Anything that wasn't just straight history. I love your strategy games but it would be nice to see you deviate more from history just once and just build an entire world of fantasy who's mythos you guys could expand on.

And yea I doubt I'll ever see this after that sunset invasion rage.

Which is looking for a paradox-esque strategy game in a fantasy setting.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The famous Comanche Jungle Warriors.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've played Paradox games since EU2, but EU3:DW was the only one I ever sank a lot of hours into. Reading about the changes in HOD got me so excited that I gave Vic2 another shot. I had moderately enjoyed a few games before (never made it to the 20th century,) but it all seemed so counter-intuitive. The UI expertly concealed important information, and it felt more like I was fighting the game than playing it. I thought it had potential, but didn't really think it would go much of anywhere.

Boy, was I wrong.

I fired up Vic2 AHD (with NNM) a few days ago and have not stopped playing. This game is legitimately good with AHD. It looks to get exponentially better with HOD, which I'll be buying as soon as the first patch drops. I cannot adequately express how inspiring it has been to see Paradox evolve from a sort of opaque and deterministic style of game design to one that embraces transparency and empowering the player.

That being said, there is always room for improvement. uPen wrote a really good effortpost on that topic.

uPen posted:

So finally finished my Germany game and I've got some thoughts.

Some of his concerns seem to be addressed in the beta patch, but I know others weren't. Please consider implementing them.

Thanks for always striving to make a better game. Now, back to subjugating Europe for me.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm a little surprised that this considered is a radical stance.

Caveat emptor. Buyer beware. You prized the time it would take to look at a few reviews over the money you spent to buy the game.

Learn from your mistake, and don't be a sucker again.

efb

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

run DNC posted:

Yes, but at certain points you want to only research something that you can finish before a certain date, so as to quickly get newly activated techs like the prestige ones or railroad upgrades or what have you.

Are you learning disabled?

You: I wish it would tell me how long it would take to research a tech!
James The 1st: It does. Hover over the tech.
You: Yeah, but sometimes you want to know when a tech will finish!

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gort posted:

OK, someone tell me about the suppression system in HoD. When should I be suppressing movements? Is it such a big deal if they become more radical?

I, too, would greatly appreciate an effort-post on the suppression system. The way I've been playing, I pretty much never use it because they come back like the next day and they're even more pissed, so why bother? I'm just going to slaughter them when they revolt anyhow, and if I suppress them, they will just be angrier and more numerous when they do eventually revolt, right? So, I guess it's only useful if you're already in dire straits and can't handle a rebellion at that moment?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
With all the Byzantium in the thread lately, I figured I'd take a run at them in EU3 again. I kinda hate their default flag, so I google-image searched for Byzantine flags, found one that I liked, and modified it slightly. All credit belongs here, unless you hate it, in which case I did it.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

YouTuber posted:

In EUIII that is what the flag was for Byzantium during the 14th century. According to The Book of Knowledge of All Kingdoms. Emperor Michael VIII Palaiologos personally used the double-headed Eagle that we equate with the Orthodox Church however.

It's pretty close. I didn't really do much research. It looks like the original flag was the dynastic banner and dynastic emblem combined, but with a more standardized cross shape.

I made it purple with sorta red trim some places. :downs:

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

YouTuber posted:

No, I meant the white and red flag that is stock with the game. After Constantinople was retaken by the Greeks from the Crusaders there is some written stuff stating that they used the Double-Headed Eagle flag that CK2 would use for the Ecumenial Patriach. Gold being the Emperor's personal standard and Silver being Governors and Black being low level dignitaries.

Oh. Of course, it must be. If it wasn't, there would be periodic Byzantophile riots on the Pdox forums, I think.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The number of crashes in quill's videos is slightly worrying, although I understand he has a much earlier version of the game than its current iteration. His superficial grasp of game mechanics annoys me sometimes, but he generally maintains a pretty decent patter, and has a nice voice.

EU4 is looking great. I love the shift to "power" of various kinds, and its importance in so many aspects of gameplay: province improvements, diplomacy, technology, etc. I think it will lead to much more interesting decision-making, and hope it will greatly lessen the restrictions imposed by certain EU3 game mechanics. I still wish the trade routes were dynamic on the map, and that new ones could rise and withered ones die, but it's a step in the right direction. However, the fact that American trade routes are visible before there is any trade with the Americas is mildly disconcerting.

Oh, and one thing that struck me when I was watching the most recent video- if a player is offered a stability boosting event at 3 stability, there should be some kind of alternate reward- like 100 admin power. It's so annoying to be at full stability and let a +1 stab just go to waste because the other option is like +2% revolt risk and 50 DKP MINUS or whatever the gently caress. I'm not sure how much attention the generic events have gotten, but a moderate revamp might do some good. In EU3, the player is frequently presented with choices in name only, but changing events from giving +1 stability to giving 100 admin power could help show off the new system and freshen up the events with some meaningful decisions.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Epinephrine posted:

This thread will survive, the same way it survived before EU4 started dominating everything.

Also: 4% bureaucrats? That seems incredibly excessive, even beyond what is possible now that they've set limits on how many pops you can focus into a profession, iirc.

I think 4% is the highest number you'll ever need, but only after you've passed a bunch of social reforms. Earlier on, it'll be closer to 2%.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

rakovsky maybe posted:

Nah this thread has become basically unreadable since Darkreknown started rushing in to defend every possible criticism of his company's games.

He can get quite defensive, but unreadable? I mean, slap-fights with Gort are one thing, but some minor back and forth with various posters is a horse of a different color.

I'm just glad that the devs are sometimes exposed to serious critiques of their games here, because much of the official forums appear to suffer from some form of Stockholm Syndrome.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
MIGHTY

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
y'all should star citizen all those stockholm syndrome sufferers to bankroll V3

it's what they deserve

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i will pay $1,000 to upgrade my restored kingdom of prussia's super-carrier with the SLQ-32A(V)4 Countermeasures suite and racing stripes

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Drink Cheerwine posted:

i will pay $1,000 to upgrade my restored kingdom of prussia's super-carrier with the SLQ-32A(V)4 Countermeasures suite and racing stripes

someone took me seriously, rookie mistake

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

nutranurse posted:

Look, I deal with lovely borders everyday of my life; when I unwind I just want to live in a fantasy world where maps make sense.

Please elaborate.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to mod the view distance of units in Vic2? I'd like to be able to zoom out all the way and still see my units. Not being able to do this really hamstrings my war-fighting ability in large theaters.

e: I tried modding counter_distance in settings.txt, and all that does is make it so that I can see province names at max zoom. I'd like to see unit flags at max zoom, if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Nut to Butt fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 16, 2014

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Drink Cheerwine posted:

Is there a way to mod the view distance of units in Vic2? I'd like to be able to zoom out all the way and still see my units. Not being able to do this really hamstrings my war-fighting ability in large theaters.

e: I tried modding counter_distance in settings.txt, and all that does is make it so that I can see province names at max zoom. I'd like to see unit flags at max zoom, if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone know if this is or isn't possible? Counter_distance also makes the sprites(?) show up at max zoom, but I'd really like to see the flags/numbers.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for your kind indulgence as I repost my modding question one last time here before I go bug the Paradox forums:

Is there a way to mod the view distance of units in Vic2? I'd like to be able to zoom out all the way and still see my unit flags/counters. Not being able to do this really hamstrings my war-fighting ability in large theaters.

I tried modding counter_distance in settings.txt, and all that does is make it so that I can see province names/unit sprites at max zoom. I'd like to see unit flags/counters at max zoom, if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dibujante posted:

Is this game actually not terrible now?

I remembered the initial goonsensus was that it was utter poo poo, but that some people liked it now after 20 patches or whatever. So, I checked out the recent steam reviews. It still sounds like hot garbage to me, which is really too bad. I rebought Rome 1 and Napoleon instead, since I lost my discs a long time ago.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SickZip posted:

Nope. I think the game as a whole has made a dramatic turnaround, especially with mods, and I've hit over 200 hours played. I still have no idea how politics works and can't be bothered to figure it out.

I think they've just written it off honestly. Everything else has been patched and improved but they haven't done anything to politics

what about diplomacy? i heard that was still worthless

how about sieges? do soldiers still get stuck on top of ladders and walking by trees?

can multiple soldiers now kill an enemy or is it still all Honourable Single Combat with SICK2NASTY KILL ANIMATIONS?

i'm not trying to light you up, but i read a bunch about it recently and it still sounded really really bad

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Beamed posted:

So, uh, are you in the wrong thread, or..?

nah, just participating in a minor derail.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sulla posted:

I pre-ordered, so you can imagine how hard I raged when it came out. That being said, with the patches plus some mods you'll get your 15 bucks' worth out of it.

not exactly a ringing endorsement, but thanks for the input. given your name, i might just take your word for it. ;)

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
couple of questions:

-i guess i'm blind, because i know this feature was added to eu4, but i can't seem to find it- how do i set rally points?

-is there a way to mod vic2/eu4 to show unit flags/numbers at max/near max zoom?

thanks

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gort posted:

It was?!

or not? I thought I read about it being patched in.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Apoffys posted:

EU4 question

i don't know as much about eu4's mechanics as i do about eu3's, but military technology is very important. check to see if burgundy has a higher level than you, this is something that people often overlook that can have dramatic consequences in battle outcomes.

also, they changed how manpower works- it regenerates much more slowly than before, just something else to keep in mind. another thing to check is their national ideas vs. yours. it's possible that they've picked some military ideas that make their troops better while you haven't.

someone else will probably answer more fully, but those are some quick answers for you that may help.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
delete your map cache

Go to your documents folder: Documents\Paradox Interactive\Victoria II\map and delete the cache folder.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i usually play with the gsg mod, but i think cultural union cores dont show up until you form the union

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i set my v2 end-date to jan. 1, 3015 so my endgame is usually between 1970-2020, depending on the game

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Don Gato posted:

How do the economy and the game not poo poo themselves after 1936? It barely holds together the last decade as it is.

i used to play with NNM and now with gsgmod, so that may explain it. i've never had any major world economic collapses, really. whatever country i'm playing as is usually one of the top 3 great powers by the end-date of vanilla, i affirmatively look to collapse rival nations' economies through long occupations followed by balkanization, and every once in a while i let the free market prune my industrial base of unprofitable factories. the biggest "problem" i run in to is that there simply aren't enough of certain raw materials (like rubber) to satisfy world factory demand.

as for game performance, i don't have any issues in that department, but my computer is mid/high range and new as of about a year ago.

GrossMurpel posted:

The game I'm playing right now which triggered the question is on Ultimate's 1604 start so 100 years in is probably not even midgame yet but playes like V2 endgame without techs :v:

that's cool. is ultimate any good?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
war...crimes? only cowardice, comrades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
recently picked up DH (KR) to get a war-game fix since HOI4 had me excited. played a game of the commie indians, united the subcontinent very easily, but now im stuck in a war with canada and they won't peace out (despite losing ~1 million troops in failed landings.) there is no internationale because germany curbstomped france in the early days and set up a puppet government. so i have a few questions- do countries ever white peace out or is DH/KR more of a total war game? can i reform the internationale? i tried inviting UoB to my alliance but they weren't having it. do the earlier bookmarks in KR work well? i seem to recall someone saying they were busted. any general recommendations in terms of which countries to play, what strategies to use, what's fun to do, etc.? i'm looking for a mini info dump on KR, so feel free to write a lot, or if you've already written a lot, i'm more than happy to click links/read post histories (within reason)/etc. i have a lot of experience with paradox games, mostly eu3/4, ck2, and vic2. thanks!

• Locked thread