Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Is 5.1 the latest patch for EU3?

Also, any big changes I should be aware of/make before playing? I only ever played up to Heir to the Throne but just picked up Chronicles for free thanks to this thread (thanks KoldPT!) so I'll be diving into Divine Wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nightblade posted:

There's a 5.2 beta patch, which is a huge improvement, IMO.

Thanks, got that now plus the 2 GB RAM fix from the OP.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hey guys, installing EU3 Chronicles onto a new computer. I assume the 5.2 patch is the latest and greatest and there's no recent beta patch or anything?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DrProsek posted:

Yup, and it is also likely to be the final patch for EUIII so unless a mod you use updates, you should be good till the release of EUIV!

Thanks guys! Glad to hear it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I formed Russia in EU3 and managed to become maximum Innovation/Free Subjects/Centralization. Hoooooly poo poo the amount of force and power you can exert as a unified and technological Russia is awe-inspiring/terrifying. I lead the world in 4/5 tech areas reliably, bring in over 1000 net ducats a year (which allows me to literally never worry about money, because no matter what I build I always have thousands in the bank) and can mobilize six figure armies at the drop of a hat. Any time I ever declare war on another power they're instantly hit by three or four other declarations by countries that want in on the action because they know I'm about to absolutely ruin someone.

I've never played an EU3 game all the way through to the end of the game before but I might have to with this one. I'm really curious what's going to happen to the new world, since France, Portugal and Modena all got kicked out of Europe but forged new massive empires in the Americas, with France holding all of Central America and Mexico, Portugal the Thirteen Colonies, and Modena Louisiana and the American interior. I'd really like to see some radical revolutionary poo poo going down there.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

The second I saw this I started dry-heaving and wasn't sure why. Those borders:negative:

Unrelated: I'm playing through EU3 now in an effort to get my fix before EU4 comes out, and I figured I'd take a crack at forming Russia. I figured Muscovy would be a good country for this, are there any better options? Also, how do I deal with the Golden Horde, just keep paying them off until I can go toe-to-toe with their armies?

Try to get enough warscore to sign a peace, even if you're conceding defeat, as soon as possible in any war with them, before their giant armies come in to steal all your land, and pay them off in that way while you gobble up your Russian neighbours. Eventually either you'll be big enough to go toe-to-toe with them, or they'll get caught in a massive succession crisis and never recover, at which point you can start snatching up their territories as fast as you can colonize. You'll want to colonize south to the Black Sea as fast as possible to prevent any other major European powers from snaking past you, but other than that you can expand at your own pace once they're not a threat.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I never played enough of HOI3 to judge it on this front, but I've probably played more of HOI2 than is remotely healthy and I always found one of the biggest problems with the resource/convoy/supply/industry system to be the buildup of resource stockpiles. Playing as the UK in the 1936 start, you could build up hundreds of thousands of units of resources in your stockpiles before the war even started, so that by the time Germany actually has the chance to start convoy raiding, even if they're ridiculously successful at it and you have to stop all resource convoys just so you can ship supplies out to your troops, you still have huge enough stockpiles just sitting in London never spoiling that you can hold out for years by just running resource deficits to fuel industry. Even leaving aside the issues with convoy attacks not actually affecting the resources shipped on them, or trades being virtually invulnerable from interdiction, the game would have worked much better if there were caps on the amount of resources you could save at a time, so that maybe once you were over a certain number of units of any one resource they were converted into money or translated into a small IC boost or something, instead of building up a stockpile of 300k energy by January 1940.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Speaking of Kaiserreich, has anyone else had a problem with DH 1.3 where it crashes every time you click on the technology tab? I'd really like to fix this so I can play some wacky alternate history.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The best trade-as-relations-booster thing to do is just to start a trade where you give the other country 0.1 of some random resource for free, nothing in return. The other country will literally never cancel it (why would they) so you'll just get the relations boost forever and can let the computer automate the rest of your trades.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I made a mod for HOI2 once that was good enough and simple enough that it was actually incorporated into the later patches for Armageddon, and still appears today in their successors (DH and AOD). When this happened I was thrilled that my work was good enough for the developers to include in everyone's game, not disappointed that they had taken my stuff. Then again I've never been able to understand the fanaticism displayed by some of Paradox's more hardcore fans, especially about borders in the Balkans.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also, I feel like I've discovered a pretty serious flaw in the latest version of Kaiserreich. For ships, the game can't decide if its Defence stats are a Vulnerability stat (i.e. lower numbers are better) or a Defensiveness stat (i.e. higher numbers are better). Based on the terms used (Air/Sea/Land Defence, rather than Air/Sea/Land vulnerability in vanilla DH) and the fact that land units seem to work as intended, with better units getting higher numbers and defending better, it seems like they're going for a defensiveness approach. But for ships they've implemented it backwards. Ships get lower defence numbers as they improve in class, and better ships seem to sink much faster. Supercarriers will go down to naval bombers in one hour because adding a CAG to them reduces their Air Defence stat to 1. And just in case you think I've done something wrong, I can guarantee that something isn't implemented right because if you're adding a new carrier build, adding a CAG brigade decreases the Air Defence stat, while adding an AA or Improved Hull brigade increases it.

This is actually a pretty gamebreaking bug when you get to the really late game, because the more you research ships, the more fragile they get.

e: in fact there are a lot of anomalies in the system. Adding glider artillery or tanks to paratroops lowers their defensiveness, for example. Seems like restoring the old HOI2 system of high numbers making good defence might have been more trouble than it was worth.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 17, 2013

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Supeerme posted:

The 1.03 patch added the "Air/Sea/Land vulnerability" as text. there is no real change in the defense stats, just the way it's described.

That's in Darkest Hour vanilla. Kaiserreich restores the old Defence system, complete with high stats being better.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What I did in the most recent beta, when movement speeds were so slow that advancing into any of these territories meant arriving with 0 org and getting immediately bounced, was to attack with only a few divisions at a time and leave the rest behind on support attack. Those divisions would rest up, and when the province was finally taken by the attacking unit which got immediately bounced, the supporters would strategically redeploy into the province, which would only take a few days. They would arrive with only half org, but that was usually enough to withstand the counterattack and hold the province.

This strategy probably wouldn't work against a country with a big and powerful army, but playing as Russia and having pretty overwhelming land superiority it was more than enough to beat the Central Asian and Chinese countries, Mongolia, Transamur, and Manchuria. I assume it'll still be viable in the new patch, if the movement speeds still aren't high enough.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
So here's a fun thing about the new Kaiserreich beta: as the USA, it's entirely possible to get a positive peacetime IC modifier. And a big one, too. I've got a game where I'm playing as Dictator MacArthur, and Syndie France beat Germany. If I'm remembering right, I got a decision in which I supported Canada in the war, for a +20 peacetime IC boost, then I got another that was pro-Entente propaganda that was (I think) +30, then I got one when France took Leipzig that was another +30, and then I got another when they took Berlin for another +30. I think right now I have about a +60% peacetime IC modifier, which means that I'm running a peacetime US economy with about 5-600 IC and declaring war on anyone actually instantly drops that by a couple hundred.

I'm pretty sure this counts as a bug, but it's kind of a fun bug until I get too ridiculously overpowered.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kavak posted:

The US has a -87% peacetime modifier, so you'd have about a 23% peacetime bonus, 35% if you took the most beneficial reconstruction option. Sounds like we need to reduce the bonuses for the fall of Leipzig and such so that the best case scenario just eliminates the peacetime penalty altogether.

Yeaaah, not entirely sure how it happened but that's definitely not the case.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Will Rome 2 come with a converter to turn it into a CK2 game at the end? Or will we convert it to Unnamed Paradox Dark Ages Game first?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I decided to try a nice, easy game as England to try and figure out CK2, so I played as William the Conqueror post-conquest. It was all fine and I was slowly learning how different features work when he dies and is replaced by the worst person in the world, a wrathful, slothful, arbitrary, cruel, excommunicated, etc etc etc dick of a prince, and endless revolts end up with the new king's nephew, a much more competent person, ruling like three provinces, mostly in France, as the King of Wales, while some random cousin sits on the throne of England.

I'm so confused and I have no idea how this could have been avoided short of murdering the son prior to his taking the throne, which was prohibitively difficult (I had already murdered his son so that when he died his brother, a much more competent man and blessed with a hugely competent son, the one who ended up King of Wales), would succeed, but evidently that wasn't enough.

Oh yeah, also the mercenaries I hired at one point to try and turn the tide revolted and followed me around attacking me and taking my provinces, ignoring and being ignored by all other sides in the English Civil War. That was fun.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What is the deal with hosts in CK2? It seems like every ten years there's some random noble I've never heard of marshalling 50,000 troops to invade my kingdom. Where the hell do all these people come from, and is there any way to prevent them other than assassinating the guy in question or defeating his army?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What I really want in HOI4 is a way to automate even more of the game. I don't even want to set targets anymore, I just want to pick a country and press GO and watch the game happen.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I want HOI4 to be the ultimate thing I put on when I'm having trouble falling asleep at night. Add some soothing music and we're most of the way there already.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well Armstrong must be a bicycle racing game then. Can you win the Tour de France and avoid blood doping charges?

It'll be Pro Tour Bicycle Manager 2015, mark it down.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Nope. :10bux: please

Armstrong is a licensed game for the Stallone classic Over The Top.

Nero is Fiddle Hero.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Nero is a strategy game like Crusader Kings, only you play the king's right-hand man and try to prevent the insane ones from ruining everything.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Armstrong is an official licensed tie-in to that reality show that's trying to colonize Mars.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's Mount and Blade: Viking Scandinavia Edition

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hey guys, question about CK2. Are extra empires besides the HRE and Byzantium (i.e. Brittania, etc.) a mod thing, CK2+ maybe? I ask because I've formed the kingdoms of England, Wales and Ireland and gotten no prompt that more titles are available to create for a long time. It's a pain having to manage so many elections and dukes, it would be much easier if I could just be pawning off king titles.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Okay, thanks, that's good to know. Guess I'll just have to conquer more of Scotland to make it work.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

Was it Steppewolfe that had modern day Japan ruled by Emperor MacArthur? Good times.

Yes it was. If you started in 1945 Emperor MacArthur could rule for decades.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

This is our pre-Alpha messup, there's a line in the DD at the end and a massive warning on the image itself :argh:

It's too late, by not accurately representing the colonial nature of French Africa and British India on your pre-Alpha screenshot you have destroyed my trust in your company and ruined my ability to feel alive.

Also, it looks like you gave a province in Yugoslavia to Old Great Bulgaria when clearly it belongs to Glorious Srbzstan, so that's just unacceptable.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I am a professional game critic for balkans.ru, and let me tell you that our community has zoomed in as far as possible on this screenshot and determined that you have not accurately represented province borders as they should be. Our user base is very disappointed and furthermore have lost the ability to feel human. I will have to preemptively award HOI4 a score of zero, and you will be hearing from our legal counsel about righting these historic injustices.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

im done. HoI IV is canceled. goodbye.

:qq:

We did it! Darkest Hour forever! :woop:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

HЗДЯTS ФF IЯФИ IV: УЦЯI'S ЯЗVЗИGЗ

Nzdyats ff Iyafi IV: Utsyai's Yazvzigz.

This broke my brain :psyduck:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kavak posted:

A new East vs. West dev diary got posted a few days ago. You're not gonna believe what it's focusing on :psyduck:

I can just imagine the dev team sitting around, brainstorming "What are our priorities for this game? What should we be spending our time on?"

People would suggest diplomacy, espionage, military, nuclear weapons, mechanics, influencing the developing world, all those things.

Then someone slowly raises their hand.

"I think we should make sure that you can close the strait between the South Island of New Zealand and Stewart Island, a place so small no one has ever interacted with it in any Paradox game before."

And the room just falls silent as everyone lets the brilliance of that idea sink in.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
But I can sleep easy at night now knowing that my Cold War simulator allows me to close the strait between Stewart Island and South Island:

I feel like a human being again.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

I like how they included plans for the USSR invading Denmark and West Germany. This is exactly what the Cold War was like.

Hey, it'll be an authentic simulator if it lets you draw up those plans, stare at them for a little while triumphantly as you laugh at the weakness of the capitalist powers, and then sigh and file them away because you don't feel like getting nuked today.

If you actually carry out the plans then yeah, I foresee problems.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If Paradox could create an RPG where you were just running around trying to survive and get ahead at the individual soldier level of CK2, that would be good enough for me.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

No one talking about this? Finally we were told about the underlying AI structure of the game.

I can barely remember how we went on with our lives without knowing this.

Wow, I really appreciate these completely transparent changes now that the East vs. West team has included Rucksack with their Lua.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

maev posted:

How does EvW look if all I'm looking for is a somewhat watered down military romp where I get to paint the map my colour with cold war units?

You might be in luck. Alternately, the game may ship as an in-depth transcontinental shipping simulator where the biggest hazard you have to face is navigating straits in Oceania.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I can't wait until my Spanish-American Roman Emperor reforms the Kingdom of Prussia and invades Denmark to reinstate the Sound Toll in 1974. This is what I'm most looking forward to from my Cold War game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Puella Magissima posted:

Probably! If they don't I'm about to look dumb.

The content is pretty interesting, but what I think we all really care about is the accuracy of Thor's Runic tattoo. I apologize in advance.

So what the tattoo is probably supposed to say is "Þor(r) Mjöl(l)nir". What it does say is "ᛐᚮᚱ ᛘᛁᚮᛚᚿᛁᚱ" or "Tor Mjolnir". It's written in Medieval Runic, somewhat odd in itself considering that Medieval Runic was not adopted until generally after the Christianization of Scandinavia, and Runemaster is clearly supposed to be pre-Christian. Tor is indeed the modern Swedish spelling of Thor, but it remained Thor/Þor until well into the middle ages, in spelling at the very least. Assuming Mjolnir is not simply a typo for Mjölnir, it would represent a pronunciation from the early stages of Old Norse, before i-umlaut was phonemicized, clearly conflicting with "Tor" and Medieval Runic. This wouldn't be an issue at all if it were written in Younger Fuþark, the precursor of Medieval Runic, as the character for ö and o could conceivably be the same, though I'm having trouble finding definitive information on the spelling.

Long story short, I'm never buying another Paradox game until Thor's tattoo says ᚦᚬᚱ ᛘᛁᚢᛚᚾᛁᚱ or a plausible alternative.:colbert:

Please don't think I'm seriously upset.:ohdear: I know no one should care and it looks cool either way.

This post was pretty fun to read without a Medieval Runic character set installed.

• Locked thread