Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Is A House Divided considered essential for V2 or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have absolutely no ability to tell if that's serious or a perfect mockery :stare:

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Speaking of V2, what's the best way to intentionally engineer a communist revolution?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

How do I influence nations as a GP? I can't find a button or tab for it anywhere.

E: Er, in Victoria II, I mean.

In the Diplomacy screen, there's an option to sort nations by 'prio.' Short for priority, click on the bar and it'll prioritize influencing that nation.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

DrProsek posted:

So I was looking at a thread about MotE someone posted this and I'm wondering if anyone noticed some similar.... strange.... borders?

Yeeah, Russia in my game seems to like doing the same thing also. It's painful.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

The problem with calling the EUIII bundle "complete" was we eventually released another expansion, making it incomplete. I don't really see how that applies to "collection" though, and as you can see it was released a long time before TFH was even announced. What's the problem?

Well, when people buy a collection called 'complete,' there's usually an expectation that it's...

Y'know, complete.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Also, remember that every pop is meant to be a family of 4, so if you mod pop damage to be 1 to 1 battles become so deadly that not only is every casualty a fatality, it also kills the soldiers wife and 2 children. The price of failure I guess :commissar:

Is that accounted for when the ledger gives you total population of your country?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Been having a problem with Srb Divided. Playing Canada, the Second Crusade decision seems to be off: executing it doesn't give me the conquest CB as far as I can tell. Do you need to save and reload or the like?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Speaking of, which out of HoI 2 and 3 is more accessible?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

In HoI3, how does AI control work for the diplomatic side of things? Will it declare war on certain countries as historical, not do any major action, etc?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Let's not argue anymore, guys. And all over a stupid comment I made, too-- I feel terribly guilty for even mentioning it! :(

Lookit this!

Divided States of America 1.0

Give it a try and see if there's things I should tweak!

My copy of this seems to be crashing on load when it's called to load flags: is there a log I should give you?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Was there any word of performance improvements for HoD? Because, boy does V2 chug once you hit the 20th century.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Did the time for a revolution to trigger change? I had my capital occupied for what must have been two months at most and now suddenly I'm communist.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a way to see other country's factories? I'm so curious how the game works and clearly my country would at least know what major industries my neighbours have. Also important when deciding where to expand/invade.

You can load your savegame as them or switch your tag over.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Woah how do you import games? This is something I wish Paradox gave more official support in doing right, so we could better export/import our games. the only time I really successfully did this was taking a Ricky game and playing HoI2. How good is the converter for eu3 to V2?

Also is conquest even really worth it in v2? In eu3 you could sit on a place for 50 years and eventually get a core on it, and if you conquered enough of a people they could become an accepted culture or even assimilate into your culture. The time frame of v2 though seems too short for this sort of huge scale nationa/cultural change. Can you even get new cores in v2?

In my Czech game I have Czech and Slovak as national cultures, I grabbed a state from hungary that had some minority slovak population but other than that I'm not sure if it's worth/possible to really expand. I mean all the south germans in my north aren't even accepted. Is there a way to add more cultures to accepted culture, or at least get new cores? I don't see any timer or tool-tip like in eu3 so I'm assuming no.

There's no open timer or tooltip, but you can get events for it easily. Whenever I play Prussia > Germany and take Bohemia/Morovia off of Austria, those will usually core by the end of the game, and my recent Japan game got cores on Malaya. I think it may have something to do with having a certain percentage of accepted cultures?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Also, with France, Austria, and Russia broken up, Prussia looks awfully easy to turn into Germany there.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

If you hold down shift when you click to upgrade a factory, it upgrades every factory close to its employment limit.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Is there any way to tariff specific goods? Like say you produce tons of liquor but import grain. So you put a tariff on liquor but subsidize grain?

As far as I know, there's no way, just one single tariff slider - which really is just silly, huge amounts of industrial policy revolved around what to tax.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Started a HoD game as China and westernized, all's going well except... I have a population loss of 40k/month to immigration :stare: Is there any reasonable way to get this down so I don't hover at the same population for half a century?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Did you sphere Denmark? There are those two Germany cores up in Holstien.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

You know, the funny thing is that I don't think I've ever played a European country in V2. I've played a fair share of Western Hemisphere nations, and a lot of East Asian nations, and a few nations in the Middle East, but not a single country in Europe. Which is funny, considering that Europe is supposed to be the main center of action in this game. I guess none of them seem that appealing to me, the way I like to play.

What are some European countries that are fun? I'm the sort of guy who's always liked to start with some small underdog and build them up into a superpower, or at least, as far as I can go with them.

Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, and Sardinia-Piedmont would all be good for that. The first two are going to be colonial games, while the second two are working towards colonies but also a culture union.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Raneman posted:

So as a GP you can apparently "invest" influence but I don't see any UI option to focus influence into a specific area. This whole sphering and influence thing is getting pretty lost on me. Any help?

You can focus on certain countries in the diplomacy panel: in the list, it has a toggle to focus it with three levels of influence.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

James The 1st posted:

What are you goons opinions on the Pop Demand mod?

Used to be good but now it's gotten a little crazy with all the stuff they add, in particular their economy reworkings and new/changed unit types.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

There's no reason to hold off doing it if you're going to get it anyways. Crises are fun and shake up things reasonably often, overhauled naval combat is good, and some other stuff.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

I take it this is a maths error somewhere? (Not using the beta patch) Either that, or Communist Ireland just isn't impressed by the mightiest army in the world.

I've seen that happen when trying to ally with nations I've just released after a war. It goes away if you give them a month or so, so I think it's related to them having no military at all and the AI does a screwy calculation.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Prussia or Brazil. Prussia has very clear goals and industrialization already started, Brazil is a good place to industrialize from without worrying about war.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Also, since the war started from a crisis, you would have had some time to mobilize before the war kicked off, which should have filled out the front lines. Speaking of that, does mobilizing have an effect on crises? It really should have, since it's a major escalation.

Mobilizing increases the crisis tension by 10 for each nation that does it, I believe.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Declare war and occupy them for a good while. You loose prestige passively if large parts of your nation are occupied, so if you sit on them for long enough they'll drain out of prestige and that should be enough.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Darkest Hour is doing the oddest things for me. I managed to overrun France as Germany in 1916, and the reverse treaty of Versailles event seems to be firing - but all it does is institute a white peace. The only thing I can think of that might throw the game for a loop is that I didn't declare war on Belgium?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

TropicalCoke posted:

Just bought the Victoria Collection + A Heart of Darkness. Now hell in the how do I play this game? I tried following an AAR of Japan on the Paradox forums but it just left me even more confused and overwhelmed. Is there a good AAR/LP that I can follow or a generally accepted newbie nation?

One was started at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552262 but it seems to have died on the vine, which is a shame. The first few posts at least explain a few things though, which should be able to get you started.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

IIRC it got dev approval in this thread.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

If you want a good map, DAO pretty much backports the V2 map, which I personally love and I think was the same as MEIOU. It's just a map fix so shouldn't be too complicated, and there's a version somewhere that also comes packaged with Miscmods if you wanted some minor fixes. Combining DAO into EU3+ should be possible, but it might break something? Not sure on that.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

One of HOI 3's last remaining problems is really that there are way too many provinces. They've more-or-less fixed everything else, but actually conducting the war is still a huge hassle because even the Spanish Civil War is going to need something like two dozen divisions just to establish a contiguous front, which is crazy. Someone needs to port Victoria 2's map over to HOI 3.

This and the Order of Battle I think. I can play Darkest Hour just fine but the fact that all divisions in HOI3 are separate counters makes - for me - managing large offensives impossible. I guess it comes from having so drat many provinces though. If someone did port the V2 map, could they make corps a single counter again or is that hardcoded?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Hey, Zearoth, my install of Srbj adventures seems to be pretty unstable - it's crashing on Nov 5, 1845 like clockwork for me. Is there a file I should send you besides the save?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

http://pastebin.com/FE7x4G8x

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Hmmm... Thanks. Yeah, I am as clueless as you are, but I should have a new version before the weekend is over, fixing some things I do know are broken, so maybe it will help! Did you try the save date change, by the way?

Yeah, both advancing it a full year and to the 1st of next year - still pops out 4 days after the new date. Pretty odd.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

fuf posted:

2) The LP and quote above make Austria seem kind of easy. Or is it just easy for expert players? Is there someone else in the HRE who might be a bit harder than Austria but still strong enough to tolerate some of my inevitable gently caress-ups?

Bohemia and Burgundy?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

quote:

This game, the devs have said, is ideological and isn't really prepared to deal with the ultra complex world of democratic revolutions, religion and guerrilla terrorism.

:catstare:

Seems like a bit of a problem...?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Please keep doing these! :allears: It's like reading alt-history dev diaries

Seconded, that one was great fun to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Westminster System posted:

In my effort to be less lame, the mod is now uploaded on Mediafire.

0.3.2 with a number of fixes is now available.

It looks pretty good so far, but it's a bit crazy that India starts with 98% militancy - even after getting most of its cores, it only goes down to about 50%. Just 50% is pretty good with the starting positions and 98 I think is the highest start in the game.

• Locked thread