Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Another interesting thing that will change is that with the "cover everything in small armies" tactic you used to be able to kill new units as they were being built. You'll now either have to devote a stack to doing that. Due to the changes in dynamics I presume these trickles in re-enforcements won't be able to recapture stuff easily but it still gives the country a chance if you don't take care of them. That could especially become an issue with large countries who might be able to rebuild a sizeable force in the fog of war without the player really noticing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

podcat posted:

No, actually it depends on their potential purchasing power as well so you will see prices drop when nobody can afford something.

Glad to hear that. I remember purchasing power not being considered in demand equations being mentioned as causing all kinds of issues in the economic models. It also contributed to some of the strange building decisions of capitalists IIRC.

vv Nifties, thanks for the clarification.

Munin fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 16, 2013

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

Newspapers are amazing (I had something about Russians complaining something called "Dead souls" is too difficult).

Nice, two references for the price of one.

[edit] I shouldn't forget about posts in the reply window for ages...

Munin fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 18, 2013

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

For the people who don't feel the burning need to know what Seaman Burke had for breakfast that morning in whatever sim they are playing what is that game?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

uPen posted:

Ball bearings were invented in the 20th century so Machine Parts factories are modeling something else. :spergin:

Could be pulleys, belts, gears, cranks etc. Also proper cutting tools for lathes and stuff probably.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Disco Infiva posted:

BBJoey posted:

Shitfest is going too far but I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of V2 players will never touch manual resource trading because seriously what the gently caress.

I only touched trade screen when I was rich enough and had a nice surplus of cash, so I could afford having 2000 units of critical resources in stock all the time. That way you don't need to wait for resources to be bought when you need it (for buildings/units).

Similar here. I use it to manually set the computer to stock up on certain critical goods or one which go through periodic shortages. Another point where I do some things manually is when I know I was to start building a a lot of something or other and start stockpiling some materials in advance in anticipation.

One thing in V2 that hasn't happened to me but I think is cool that it can potentially happen in the system is that you could potentially run out of crucial war materiel due to embargoes etc. IIRC though goods consumed by army maintenance are low enough to only very rarely make that an issue unless you're tiny and your market access is very poor indeed.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Are you?

I also program for a living, and I'm with Podcat on the whole 'code should be readable and it's own documentation' thing. Obviously there's lots of customer facing documentation, but all of my experience with internal documentation is that it inevitably falls way behind and just adds to the confusion. Perhaps if there was someone who's job it was to manage all of that internal documentation and make sure others were updating it, it would work, but my group of engineering staff sure isn't going to do that.

Likewise, I have yet to see any internal documentation project which didn't fall apart in an order of months if it even managed to get a full set of initial documentation together in the first place.

You're better off making sure that you set up solid guidelines about how you want things named and structured (which some people will also try and rebel against but...).

The other thing to note is that what also often happens is that the documentation ends up as a sort of meta code which is just as impenetrable as the code itself (other than for the person who wrote the documentation) but even more voluminous.

Now, what I just said doesn't apply in all cases and there are definitely some instances were having a full set of documentation is essential, anything which will be extensively worked on or used by third parties being one.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I presume you get events which can shift you increasingly towards a war economy as you appropriate an increasing amount of manufacturing capacity to produce war materiel s opposed to consumer goods?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

Does anyone have advice for getting a competitive industry score when not playing UK/France/USA/Germany? Advice specific to Japan or uncivs in general would be nice. On the Paradox forums and the wiki I saw that some people recommend using LF when you've got a decent industrial base, and I found that while that did boost growth significantly, it still was very frustrating to be barely floating 400-500 when the big players are all at least twice that.

Similarly, advice for dealing with resource shortages around the 1880s - 1900s? I found that even with Korea and Manchuria I just couldn't get enough iron and coal, and not enough rubber even with Brunei, Java, and other colonies around Southeast Asia.

Unrelated: holy poo poo New Nations Mod is slow. It's almost a full second for each day at full speed at game start. :psyduck:

From the sound of it you shouldn't have an issue input resources wise. Those should be enough for starters I think. Push coming to shove, how is your prestige looking? How are you determining that it is indeed a resource shortage causing the issue?

If it is it might be worth trying to actually annex some of that territory in some way since that would allow those RGOs to benefit from your RGO output techs which are most likely significantly better than your spherelings'. Also, they haven't got any revolt issues do they? That's another thing which totally screws with RGOs.

The other thing I'd note score wise is that you might want to check is how many factories of advanced goods you have. The industry score is heavily determined by the actual value of the goods you produce rather than by unit output. If all you're churning out is steel and basic clothes and furniture rather than telephones and radios then this will sharply reduce your score (that said with you mentioning rubber shortages I presume you have factories like these set up).

General industrialisation wise, and setting getting out of unciv aside, the general approach should be similar to when playing any less developed nation:

First get your literacy up if it is low (well set your positive literacy growth curve as early and best you can, education efficiency and clergy galore). It is essential for both tech growth and eventually getting a decent number of clerks and craftsmen to promote later. It is also generally the thing most notably holding uncivs back (Japan excepted which its relatively high literacy at the start).

Then get to great power (or at the very least secondary power) status as quickly as you can, using prestige giving culture tech if you can get them early enough is best as prestige also gives you better market access which is really handy. Beating up on your neighbours is also a good source of prestige and is essential when still an unciv as it nets you research points as well (just watch your literacy if conquering).

Third it to then set up initial industries. You get a throughput bonus if a factory is set up in a state which produces the inputs it uses so try and exploit that. The AI isn't always particularly good at setting up industrial chains... This is also easier to do in some countries than others. Japan kinda lacks in native coal and iron for example. Obviously you want to be in state capitalism or planned economy for this.

You should only really start promoting craftsmen then clerks once you have some factories to fill. Your Literacy should be growing nicely by this point if you set that up early enough making that rather easier. Ultimately you want to be promoting clerks.

Industry research wise it's probably better to focus on maximising the production bonuses on a few factories for which you can get good supplies or native RGO bonuses over trying to be mediocre at everything. It is a competition and generally when overall demand is being satisfied the cheapest and most efficient producer will win out. Railroad techs are really powerful and should also be prioritised.

Anyway, it's been a little while since I played so I might have missed some stuff. If anyone else wants to chime in or correct anything please do. I haven't really played much HoD so I would be very interested any insights and additional tricks from people who have. There are far fewer V2 guides or FAQs on the net than for the other current Paradox games. The wiki is also mostly out of date it seems.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you're Japan (or Persia) then your population should be large enough to do some real world-conquerin'. You can even expand into China and annex a couple of high-pop provinces for even more manpower.

Any territory you conquer as an unciv still joins you as a full state and remains so upon westernisation right? Grabbing Korea when still unciv becomes really attractive as Japan then (despite the crisis risks) since it allows you to build up a proper steel based industry in provinces with a native resource bonus.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Keep in mind though that access to world market goods is based on overall ranking and not prestige - prestige just happens to be a common and easily-accessible way of climbing up the ranks. You can claw your way up through military score and/or tanking 1st/2nd placer's industry/prestige via occupation/humiliation/cut-down-to-size

That is interesting. It certainly used to be the received wisdom that it was based on the Prestige score. So that means that for the vast majority of games the UK retains a stranglehold on market access then? That would certainly be a huge boon which helps them stay on top.

You do learn something new everyday (even if it is in a sphere of knowledge with no practical import :D ).

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Jazerus posted:

Yes. You know how you can't build ships for a while when the game begins? It's because Britain (and then the rest of the GPs) are using the entirety of global supply before it gets to you.

Well yeah; confusion was more about the metric used. Looking at the Wiki podcat only confirmed that middle of last year (at least that's when the thread used as the source for that fact was posted).

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

DStecks posted:

Maybe you could have tech growth tied to GDP per capita? That way China could be accommodated, since it's huge and full of peasants, but a Luxembourg or a Singapore could keep pace.

Well, that's kinda what they had in EU3. Hence why small wealthy trading nations tended to out-tech everyone by a large margin (and Europe tended to benefit from that due to neighbour bonuses).

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

Not really though, as long as you're Free Trade and only own Western European provinces and high basetax colonies, you can still be leading in tech with 200 provinces.

Yeah, if you take steps to keep you income per province high then a human player can keep up or outstrip the tech rate of a wealthy trading OPM. That is however achieved by maximising your income by province, so working within an approximation of a GDP per capita framework.

In general Western trading OPMs are the tech leaders in EU3 due to the design of the overall system where your tech cost increases with the number of provinces you have (with the penalties being especially steep for the first few provinces which disadvantages small to medium size powers tech wise). In EU3 the size penalty to tech cost is also compounded by a trading system which allows an OPM with the right sliders and NIs to generate as much money through trading as a sizeable empire can.

Now due to time ahead penalties the OPMs (or the player) can't totally run away with things but they will maintain a tech edge.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Being able to prepare the succession, instead of it just being thrust upon you, does seem like a nice thing to be able to do.

It would probably also cut down the number of people complaining about Monarch Points since they would then be even less of a crapshoot. Paradox have been moving a bit in that direction by adding more sources of MPs which the player has more control over but that would attack the root of it and add a nice bit of characterisation and fleshing out of each countries' political system.

If you were to do that then Republics would probably also require another look since their main advantage would now be less of one. Also, either overall monarch stats or their impact on MP generation might need to be revisited to ensure that overall MP generated over a game doesn't suddenly increase massively since the new system would most likely to higher monarch stats on average.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Could you also update the Victoria 2 write up? It mentions HoD as upcoming.

Btw, have you played it at all post expansions and if so has that changed your opinion of the game any?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Gorgo Primus posted:

Will do!

Victoria 2 with all its expansions? It is certainly improved a considerable degree from where it started, but they haven't substantially changed my opinion of it, no. Which is a shame, because Ricky was my favorite Paradox game by far.

I'm not entirely surprised. You always were definitely one of the Ricky hardcore.

In a way it is funny how differently these two games turned out in workings and feel, despite having many of the same groundings. I always got on better with 2 than Ricky.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I really like V2. Oddly enough it probably is in part due to the fact that you indeed don't have direct and immediate control over everything. Like in real life it's about setting things to go in the right direction and fighting the inertia of a large country to turn it into a successful state. Basically, this comic applies a little:
http://blogs.thetimes-tribune.com/johncole/?p=3962

(Obviously the game is in no way a realistic simulation...)

The other big thing is this which I can't put any better:

Autonomous Monster posted:

For me, it's got to be the way that every system in the game seems conspire to force you into conflict with other powers. There's the crisis system, obviously, but that's just surface-level stuff. You need to keep your pops well fed and maintain a strong military and industrial base to fend off your competitors, which means you have to grow the economy, which means you need more coal/iron/rubber/oil/<insert critical bottleneck resource here>, which means you need to invade/colonise/sphere <bugfuck nowhere>, which happens to be the ally/protectorate/target of your chief rival, which means you need to secure strong allies and build a strong military, which means...

And you can't opt out of this race, because falling out of the lead/remaining in the common ruck means being the whipping boy for whatever GP thinks you'd look most fetching on their mantelpiece. If there's anything that justifies Victoria's hypercomplex interlinked systems, it's those sorts of knock-on effects.

There is a definitive slow escalation to the game a tension start out low and the world looking full of opportunity. Then tensions increase as the world slowly gets taken over or aligns to the various great powers and their insatiable hunger for power and resources. Finally the world usually gets shaken by global conflict driven by the mighty engines of industry that spew out armaments in unprecedented amounts and where general mobilisation puts the able bodied populations of even the biggest countries on the front line and where a loss can mean the dismantling of a mighty empire. Unless you do manage to break the game and take over the world there is always a threat and the potential threats escalate.

Now, that is not to say that there is nothing to fix there. There is plenty to fix and I'd love for Victoria to get the new Paradox makeover. That said I would obviously be worried that what I like about Victoria and what I think makes it stand out from the other Paradox games would go with it. But heck, what I love about it isn't what some other Victoria fans love and plenty of people (I think) still think that V2 took away everything they love from Ricky and was hopelessly compromised. I'd love to hear what some Paradox people think is at the core of Victoria and what they loved about Ricky and V2.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Getting in a good spot to get literacy growth going is one of the first things I try to get going. It is a long term process and is key to so many things so you do have to get it going early. Especially if you are an unciv or are a small nation who plans to conquer/colonise their way to a sizeable population so that they can play with the big boys.

cheesetriangles posted:

49% in 1847-48 or so.

What do your clerics and education efficiency techs look like? 49% is by no means bad at that date.

Encouraging clergy is to the 2%-4% level is really rather important. They drive up literacy increasingly well until they hit 4% of population. On top of that they are probably your best source of research points as an unciv or low literacy nation.

[edit] Quick random question which just came to mind and I don't know the answer to. The effect of clergy on literacy is worked out at the national and not the state level, right? As opposed to how the admin efficiency or bureaucrats works.

Munin fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 13, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Also, V2 collection is on sale on Steam for another hour or so.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Toady would absolutely create a grand strategy game then spend 10 years developing how straights effect movement and combat by simulating global fluid dynamics and tides but in the end not actually effect the gameplay in any meaningful way. Then he'd add vampires.

Sorry, you mean it would have no effect on gameplay until someone figured out how to create a giant tidal engine to recreate the biblical flood.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I love this idea that people don't have to start in perfectly balanced situations. A game is an experience, it doesn't have to be a perfectly "fair" competition with perfect symmetry like chess. I play these games for the narrative that develops as I play. Play england and see if you can out-do their empire building. See if you can reform and save China. Try to survive as a new-world culture. None of those countries start out anything remotely "balanced" to each other because there's no intention of it.

I'd love a space game with a bunch of radically different starts and start options. Maybe a core of human space with a bunch of squabbling human nations and outside that insane and barely comprehensible aliens. Everyone has different mechanics and challenges. The generic human nation may simply want to expand and become more rich and powerful, or unite humanity, or colonize/expand their corner of space, or what ever. Perhaps there's some ancient powerful civilization but they're paralyzed with decadence or corruption. Or some great power that simply has nothing to gain from conquering a bunch of primitive humans because it wouldn't be worth the effort and they have bigger problems to deal with.

A 4X space game with the same design and balance philosophy as EU4 would be amazing. Specially if they gave us lots of random starting options. Maybe you want to play in a universe with no aliens, just dozens or hundreds of human empires. Or maybe you want that classic more or less balanced start. Hell I'd go nuts just starting in an empty galaxy with Earth. Colonizing the solar system, expanding from there, exploring cool poo poo, trying to keep my empire unified but ultimately seeing my far flung colonies become independent. Or start in a crowded developed universe where every worth while system is settled by someone ranging from independent settlers or pirates to vast empires and everything in between.

So basically a bit like Endless Legend but in Space and with an option (or enforced) preset map.

I really like the asymmetric faction in Endless Legend.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The races in SotS1 work well because they actually have unique, meaningful gameplay differences, instead of just racial bonuses and superficial balance tweaks like some space 4x games. Unfortunately much of the rest of SotS1 doesn't work so well.

That's one of the things that's great about Endless Legends. The faction you play totally changes how you play the game and the factions can all interact in satisfying ways.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Transmetropolitan posted:

And that was one of the major problems right here. If in other games you are a abstract concept (in CK2 you are a "dynasty", in the others you are what could be called "the spirit of the nation" I guess), V2 had tremendous restrictions on what could be done because it was much more simulation than game. You had to struggle with it by "playing bad" in order to get some desired outcomes (reforms for instance)

EU IV has something similar when you let rebels win either to become a new government or a revolutionary country, but that is the only occasion I can think of.

You didn't need to "play bad" to do so though. You could also do it by riding the waves of liberal and socialist fervor as those movements run their course over the period of the game and push consciousness and literacy. That was certainly the case on the particular versions of V2 I played.

You can short cut certain things by "playing bad" in the same way you have to "short cut" your way to a Revolutionary Republic in EUIV.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Star posted:

Use national focus to maintain 2% clergy in every state, 1% bureaucrats, around 4% soldiers, after that just promote craftsmen and clerks (20% clerks is the optimal level). Research depends on what you want to do, but initially go for +research %, tax efficiency and mining /farming boosts. Also military techs if you plan to attack early or is in a dangerous position. I often skip most of the navy techs unless I plan to colonize/fight many naval battles. Steamers might be good to get, though. Automate trade, try to build factories which match your RGO in the state, use tariffs if you need money (but experiment with the how high, since they will also increase the costs to subsidize your factories).

I'd also recommend prioritising Education Efficiency if you are one of the less fortunate nations. Note that Plurality increasing events techs etc are essentially research techs (they might also have a *minor* effect on your pops desires but who care about that...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

-The Influence/Sphere/War Goals/Peace Offer stuff should probably all be EUIV now, since I think that's about the clearest Paradox has made that section of the game

The War Goals and Peace stuff is actually one of the few generalised things which I think is nicer in V2 than EUIV. The tension and great war stuff is also good but of course more V2 period specific.

But yeah the influence system is more like the old EUIV Papacy system style busywork and is more irritating since it is core to so much of the gameplay.

• Locked thread