Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Pixelante posted:

What non-stat food do you use for navigating the mines in the end-game?

Goat cheese, at gold quality it's pretty much a full health restore and it's easy to maintain a steady production stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Midnight Voyager posted:

Farmer just needs to shell out for some really good internet

New craftable item in 1.6: Starlink Jojalink Terminal

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I recently started eating pepper poppers in addition to espresso for the double speed boost, and discovered that now I move so fast I skip some crops or kegs if i try to harvest/fill while running past them. I had half a dozen or so empty kegs on my last batch of wine. A single speed boost still lets you catch everything.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So I just tried installing a couple of mods for the first time (mainly getting rid of that loving awful fishing minigame). Is there any way to play with mods by launching it from Steam rather than through the Vortex launcher which seems to completely break the functionality of my Switch controller?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Paper Tiger posted:

Yup, the Stardew Valley wiki has instructions on how to set up Steam to launch SMAPI.exe so that you can use mods. It'll be under the 'Configure your game client' section.

Sweet, looks like that works. Thanks! :cheers:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
LOL. So I went to give Elliott a birthday present. But it was raining that day. Which means Elliott sits in his cabin all day and sulks. And I'm not good enough friends with him for him to let me inside. So I'm standing there pounding on his door with a pomegranate and he's just ghosting me.

gently caress it, I'll max out friendship with everyone else; Elliott won himself a subscription to the Void Mayonnaise of the Week club.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Gonna put cat ears on my cat and tear a hole in reality.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
You return to Stardew Valley but find it abandoned, all the residents long since gone. Ancient fruit plants sprout from the overgrown ruins, choking out all other flora. In the west, smoke rises from an eerie glow. You approach only to find the walls of a massive fortress, its iron door barred fast. Every ten minutes, a cart filled to the brim with ancient wine and truffle oil emerges.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Khanstant posted:

My main wishlist for them to add to Stardew is to add nuclear bombs. It's supposed to be a cozy game but how can I feel safe if I'm left powerless against any other farm who gets a nuke?

Crafting requirements: 5 iron bars, 5 iridium bars, 500,000 radioactive ore.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MacheteZombie posted:

A war movie with stardew mentioned in passing

Call of Dewty

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Lemme just say that I'm happy with not having a filmed depiction of whatever kind of rabbits you're raising that periodically shed feet.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So, fun fact, if you're making deluxe fertilizer at a workbench, it will prefer to use the legendary fish you have in your backpack before it uses the pile of 300 mussels you have in an adjacent chest.

Glad I discovered that before I went to sleep for the night and was able to restart that day.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cartoon Man posted:

Hope it’s a Joja themed farm.

You can only plant one type of crop per season. Barns and coops are stainless steel sadness factories where animal happiness never rises above minimum. There's a giant sewage pond that keeps slowly growing and occasionally overflows.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Nothing like winding up a long day of working on the farm by cracking open a nice cold jar of dinosaur mayonnaise.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Pththya-lyi posted:

Wait I hear the starter chickens have different names in different saves. What the hell that's so cool

Mine are Polka and Dot, and someone on a Discord server I post in has Piccolo and Viola. What did you all get?

Clucky and Pecky, sounds like it definitely picks a matched pair of names.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
What's different about the blue grass anyway?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Oh wow, not only can you drink mayo, but it's a pretty hefty energy and health boost. :btroll:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Okay, I went way too long before giving Automate a try, I will never be able to go back now.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Carrying the torch for the Joja Mart cashier. Some day, my princess...

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Leal posted:

Yeah I'm thinking meadows. I like how the untillable grass cuts the farm in half. On top of that, with the ponds on the southwest they could be a natural fence for animals. I was thinking something like this

Meadowlands feels like a nice happy medium between varied terrain and ease of getting around/managing layout. I've ended up with a somewhat similar scheme, the open area right in front of your house is plenty for crops and the bigger area to the southwest makes for natural grazing land.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
One unexpected benefit of finally installing Automate is that it's let me have a much more balanced farm. Previously I would usually tend towards an ancient fruit monoculture vineyard just because that was the highest profit to busy work ratio, and I'd only keep a handful of animals to provide cooking and gifting materials. But when you don't have to load a bunch of processing machines every single day it's a lot less annoying, now I can just pop in in the morning, say hi to everyone, and grab whatever finished products are sitting in the chest by the door.

So now in addition to the ancient fruit wine pipeline I've got a nice big animal herd and a wider variety of crops and products, all mostly managing themselves.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cyflan posted:

Automate makes crab pots much less annoying, too, especially if used with non-destructive NPCs.

Oh yeah, I've switched from pepper poppers to crab cakes now that I can maintain a steady stream of easy crabs.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Being able to punt filled containers around by hitting them with your pickaxe is a very appreciated quality of life upgrade. Especially with the new house addons that require you to clear out the adjoining tiles, I was able to just scoot some minifridges over rather than having to completely unload them. Plus it makes rearranging my main storage/crafting area a ton easier.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

poe meater posted:

Are spicy eels and expresso the easiest way to get double speed buffs?

Pepper poppers are probably the easiest speed buff food to make as long as you have a few cows producing cheese. It's easy to stockpile a ton of peppers during the summer.

Crab cakes are also pretty easy if you have a lot of crab pots, and they last all day while poppers will wear off mid-afternoon.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

bunnyofdoom posted:

As can be told from username, I have three coops of bunnies on my perfection farm. It's also good for doing the stupid give everyone loved gift Qi quest with all the rabbit feet

Nothing like an iridium quality rabbit foot for love bombing someone with difficult gift preferences.

Meanwhile it's best not to ask what kind of rabbits we're raising that periodically shed feet.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

bunnyofdoom posted:

Fucks sake I think ny pigs are glitching or I hosed up. I have three max heart pigs on the meadowfarm. I am getting days of 0 truffles found. And most days I get, if lucky, between 2-3.

Truffles seem to be highly variable. You can pen your barn in tightly to ensure you're not missing any but even then there would be days I'd get 0-2 truffles from my duo of pigs. I ended up selling them off to fit a couple more goats, slightly less max profit but way less hassle. And with golden animal crackers making them give double milk it's even less of a deficit.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Woah, I can't believe I'd never tried making clothing with a prismatic shard or an ancient fruit before. I am now the fanciest lad in all the valley.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

HopperUK posted:

post pics :mad:

(quick and dirty screenshots, it constantly cycles colors)

Pixeltendo posted:

Using a shard for clothing is like the 10th best thing to use it for

Appropriately enough, I gave it a try because I was like "man, I have a dozen of these things".

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cartoon Man posted:

Go get the matching cowboy hat from the desert trader for 300 omni geodes.

Oh hell yeah, I was hoping there would be an appropriate hat to go with it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Stingrays are nice in a pond because they produce dragon teeth, which later in the game becomes one of the most pain in the rear end items to gather.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Filox posted:

I've started picking up trinkets in the mines. I was on the lower levels, hunting slimes to get the last 130 or so for the ring when the quiver dropped. It was hilarious, I was just walking around while my invisible bow killed everything with death ray arrows. Try it between levels 1 and 20, no effort slime slaughter, lol

I just picked up a frog trinket? Had to go home, as it was almost 2 am, but I can't wait to try it later.

The fairy that heals you combined with a vampire ring is hilariously broken. I haven't needed to eat food during a mine run since I got it, I just facetank everything while flailing away with my sword.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cartoon Man posted:

All ya’ll running around with cool trinkets and I can’t even get my first one to drop.

:negative:

You've got the perk for it, right? It took me a little while before I got one but I seem to find one every 2-4 thorough mine or cave runs.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Leal posted:

I plan on having my greenhouse be a bunch of blueberries for dehydrating and using ginger island for a massive ancient fruit and coffee plantation. The beach will be littered with kegs

That's similar to what I've ended up doing on several runs. If you fill the island farm with ancient fruit the greenhouse is pretty redundant unless you're running an absolutely stupid amount of kegs, so I'll use it to grow a variety of crops that look interesting and/or are useful. I usually rush the obelisk as soon as possible, but if you don't do that then using the island as an ancient fruit plantation means you only need to visit once a week.

Gully Foyle posted:

Haha, not sure I've been this lucky before, got a loving Iridium Band and Emerald Ring out a fishing treasure chest on Spring 23. Literally my first light source ring I found in the game.

Are iridium bands as a random drop a new thing? I don't remember ever seeing them prior to 1.6 but now I've gotten three or four.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Eric the Mauve posted:

Oh I should add I cheat like a motherfucker because I hate the fishing minigame.

Yeah I have zero qualms about modding that out, it's a huge pain in the rear end and not very fun.

Also, I found if you use challenge bait you can catch 3x of each of the legendary fish kids for Qi's quest, which sell for some stupidly high amounts if you smoke iridium-quality ones. Like several hundred thousand gold all together.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I like the idea of using tea plants as hedges, that sounds pretty.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

GotLag posted:

I saw a better explanation in that rabbits in Stardew Valley grow feet the way sharks grow teeth, they have multiple rows of them underneath and they just move forward as the front ones fall off.

Penny disliking them makes her the most rational person in town.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cambria Bold posted:

If you talk to her during the Stardew Valley Fair, she mentions that she won the spinning wheel game ten times in a row and the proprietor banned her from playing anymore.

The odds of this are around 1 in 20, so if 30 people play the game there's roughly an 80% chance that one of them will get that result.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Dragonwagon posted:

Assuming a 50/50 chance, the odds of guessing correctly 10 times in a row are 1 to 1024.

It's not a 50/50 chance though, it's weighted 75% in favor of green. 0.75^10 is a 5.6% chance.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The ocean one at least gets you to the other end of town. The mountain one saves like 10-15 seconds of walking, it's more of a useless prestige item than the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
"My fellow Stardewicans, I have just released a patch which will outlaw Ginger Island forever. We begin bombing in ten minutes."