Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
It's probably worth noting that the comic starts a little slow; the first few pages in particular have very little of the charm that the rest of the comic oozes, both from the art and the writing. By halfway through the first chapter it's in full swing, though, and from then on it's hard to put down!

Basically it is a Good Comic and I want more. All the time. Zack draw the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

red plastic cup posted:

Ohhhhh, it updates on Fridays? I've had this comic in my RSS feed for a few months, and up until now I thought it just updated randomly. :v:

Regarding the latest chapter, I have a feeling that, for a chapter titled "Max, Isaac, and the Secret Shortcut", Max and Isaac are going to traverse the shortcut in a single panel and the rest of the chapter will be more fooling around in school. At least, one can only hope.

Honestly, I thought they'd been going through the shortcut ever since they went down the hill, but apparently not! ...not really sure how I got that idea, looking back on it. Oops!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

ThatPazuzu posted:

I like that he experimented with kinda rounded reflections in the last panel. His attempt didn't turn out great but, whatever, it isn't terrible and it's visually interesting.

I'm fully expecting Isaac to stab Doorman in the face with his key to shut him up on the next page.

Naw, do you see the look on that kid's face? He's just been hit with some heavy stuff, man. He's feelin' real bad right now. Might need to take a sit-down, rethink his life for a bit.

(What a great page.)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Dang. poo poo's getting real.

No seriously, this is the second indication of less light-hearted things going on underneath the surface of things in Paranatural. The first being that post-apocalyptic vision Max had.

I have a feeling this comic is going to become a lot more serious as time goes on. Not sure if that's bad or good, I guess we'll see.

The good news is, the dialogue is just as great either way!

"Rolling tubes of screaming children, each as worthless as this sanctimonious fool's approval. If you must be pious, boy, choose a proper priest."

Good poo poo!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Isaac's line "In the loose sense of the word, sure" was actually a subtle reference to this interaction:

http://paranatural.net/chapter-3-page-3/

I thought I got it before, but I don't get it now! Welp.

Syphilicious! posted:

"Quads again squads again" is pretty much explicit admission that there was a fourth dude ain't it?

Max, Isabel, Isaac, Ed. Quads!

Dimitri may indeed be involved with the Activity Club somehow, but this sentence makes it clear that he's not a member.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

tinaun posted:

Supernormal #5 is out!

The 'correct' word seems to be Aqualung. More foreshadowing? (...probably not?)

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 18, 2013

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Patchwork Shaman posted:

Maybe his spirit's been in control the whole time! :tinfoil:

Nice!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Some good avatar material in the last update.

I'm thinking about taking #3 for myself, but I'm not sure what title text to use.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
After long consideration, in the truest spirit of the comic, I decided to ignore all of your suggestions and improvise my own.

(I would have taken Fried Chicken's suggestion, but I think SlothfulCobra is right, unfortunately.)

Thank you all kindly for the help!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

The Mayview Middle School bell is a recording of Mister Starchman screeching ''RING RING RING''

:allears:

I knew there was a reason that I made Mr. Starchman my wallpaper.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Have we seen that bird before? It seems familiar, for some reason, but maybe it's just a weird bird with human hands.

Also, I love Isabel's line, of course.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

I think the more interesting thing is outlined in frosty pink at the bottom of the new page. It's an interesting coincidence.

Crossover time. PLAYER 2 is Kat. (The Doorman sent the love letter!)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Oh man, the alt text on this one is absolutely amazing.

It's terrible.

Meanwhile, in the background, Mystery Dojo Student remains silent. This only heightens the mystery!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Numero6 posted:

Interesting to see that Ed lives with Isabel.

I think we knew that already, but I'd have to go check.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Penguingo posted:

"Draw up a chair".

Also what is that pose in panel three.

I believe the technical term is 'maximum slump'.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Tupperwarez posted:

Also notable because he's one of the few students who even hit the dummy (while doing hadoken hands, no less).

I gotta wonder, are all of Grandpa's adult students agents? And if the other kid isn't an agent, is she part of another 'Activity Club' at the preppy academy place we've heard about previously?

Preppy academy place?

(God, everything about this new page is great. :allears:)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Seoinin posted:

Haha, Headreel's juicy hweeyermz face would be a great avatar.

e. bleh I suck at this. if someone can make something presentable out of that panel I'd be much obliged.

Here's something. (Unbordered/bordered.)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Have some lovely MSPaint cropped avs I lifted from the page! :downs:

Thanks! :)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Onean posted:

Maybe there's less game and more spirit involved in Ed's game than is apparent?

"Wow, you're really smacking that puppy."

"That would actually be a demon but I understand the mix-up"

hmmmmmmmmmm

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
All Points Bully-Ton

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Oh, huh, the last panel of this page makes a lot more sense now.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

My inner economist is poised ready to pounce the second Zack reveals anything about Starchman stars.

I mean, it seems like one star is a fairly important thing, considering how Mr. Garcia considers it enough to buy Max's silence, but Isabella quickly bet four stars, meaning either she's a high roller or that Mr. Garcia is really cheap. Of course, everyone seemed really surprised when Max got a whole star just for his name, so...:words:

I personally figured it was just the first installment in a series of hush-money Starchman Star payments?

Also, this entire line of thought is extremely silly.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Spender :allears:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Who the heck takes their shoes off in the car?

Some people.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Mr. Garcia copies off Bob Ross in his free time?

Dark secrets indeed. Frankly, I can't imagine anything more incriminating or blackmail-worthy that anyone could possibly discover about him!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

unacceptable

unforgiveable

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

He's mentioned before I think that the codes and such are meant for when the PoV character can't understand it. He may not need the codes after Ch. 5 simply because all the established PoV characters will possibly speak the language already.

Are you saying that our heroes will have... done crimes? :ohdear:

KittyEmpress posted:

His twitter makes me laugh.

Webcomic twitters are good, I think. That is my opinion.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Unrelated, Spender's using the light from the glowy-eyes thing spectrals do when communing with their spirit as an attack here.

Haha, I didn't realize that on my first read-through. That's brilliant. (So to speak.)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

big sperma shot posted:

So while they're talking to their spirit and time is slowed down, they can still act on the outside world (and that's fusion)? I was under the impression that they were just sucked into their own mind

A reminder.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
My RSS reader just dumped the last 15 pages, so... looks like it was fixed after all?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

No, she was going for Eightfold's book, but when she saw Max was falling she went to save him instead, at the cost of losing her own grip and any chance of getting the book. Thus illustrating that she's a better person than Spender see: what Forge is talking about in this comic.

That's pretty good.

I wonder what Spender's grinning about in the last panel?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
I really like what Zack did with the speech bubble colors in this page. Shading between pink and blue to help show how heated/cold Spencer's speech is... It's classy.

Looks like he's been doing this on the last few pages, too (e.g. here); I just hadn't noticed.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
:speculate:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Fecha posted:

"Tangentially" as in supernatural in some separate way to being a spectral? Judging by the sketchy outline we're getting of the Cousinhood (and their Van Helsing look) it would seem they are all about hunting, but considering there are blatantly a zillion ghosts, spectrals, and spirits in Mayview, I have no idea what. Maybe they are hunting special spirits, e.g. gods like the guy in Isaac.

I honestly assumed that the Cousinhood were looking for the pixeldogs (& whatever entity they serve), given the background in panel 2. (The pixeldogs, after all, were not supposed to be on that train...)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

System Metternich posted:

Yeah, the "animal instincts" line seems so suggest that BL at least thinks that something is up with Scrapdragon. Maybe he got out of her trap? (Nevermind, I just saw that she released him either on page 275 or 276, can't tell)

I'm wondering: what if it is not Max who is possessed - but Scrapdragon is (making it a twofer, really)? Did we ever get any hints that spirits can possess/take control of somehow of other other spirits?

Basic spiritual metaphyics seem to argue against the notion. (It doesn't seem like it'd be very sustainable?)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
this comic's pacing has slowed to a crawl, but I have a hard time begrudging it with outfits like Spender's.

e:

(pity about the dialog bubble tail)

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 6, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Man, the violation of the 180-degree rule between the second-to-last and last panels (10-11) confused the heck out of me.

"Why is Max suddenly on the other side of Isabel???"

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Tollymain posted:

it's more like a 90 degree angle change though :v:

e: no wait isaac is in a front seat

See!!!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm glad we've reached the halfway point in chapter 4.

Next up: chapter 4 part 2 intermission 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Tollymain posted:

so, what did isaac do that he's convinced is the root of his exclusion? probably related to him being confident of his ability to mop the floor with the other members of the activity club, i'd guess

i can't believe he hasn't connected the dots between his spirit's hostility towards spender and co. and spender being so cagey :v:

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's interesting how Isaac said "We both know what I probably did to get punished like this." Which implies that he did something that he thinks earned him the disapproval of the council. I wonder what that is.

You have seen the damage a lightning bolt can do...

...the redemption you seek.

The last two panels of page 136 are probably also a hint.