Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Soliciting purchasing advice.

I've got a Lamy Safari with a 1.9mm italic nib, and it's fantastic, i love it. It's also not super great for day to day use, because it's a 1.9mm italic. The weight is great but the grip isn't quite perfect for my hands (it's more or less the right size but my index finger is bent so i wind up twisting if i try to use the griplines 'properly'). How much does this inform my choices for what i should buy as a day to day pen?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

It was really a question about grips and weights, not nibs, sorry for not being clear.

When i said "day to day" i meant a non-italic pen, i use the italic for doing calligraphy.

kim jong-illin posted:

Lamy's italic nib sizing doesn't match the majority of nibs: a 1.5 Lamy italic is closer to a 1.1 from TWBSI or other brands. I use a Lamy 1.1 italic on a Safari as my daily pen as well as having my Lamy 2000 custom ground to match.

That's rather interesting, thanks! I did think 1.9 was shockingly small (i learned on a 3.5mm so i figured that was just me being weird).

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Zenostein posted:

Well, off hand, the Safaris and Alstars are the only pens I can think of that have a grip like that, so if you don't want/need the section to tell you where to hold the pen, you're golden for drat near anything else.

As for weight, I grabbed some pens I had laying around and a questionably accurate kitchen scale. The Safari came up at about 17g, which is more or less what my Hero 616 weighs. A Pelikan m215 came up at about 22g, with some ink in it. The Pelikan is noticeably heavier than the Safari, but it's not like trying to write with a boat anchor or anything. Were you looking for a pen that's lighter/smaller, or just kinda fishing? Personally, I find the length of the pen and whether it's better balanced posted/unposted to be more important than its weight.

From top to bottom: Safari, Hero, Pelikan (film canister for scale, because I couldn't find a quarter or something sensible)

Of the three, I always post the Hero, and the Safari feels a bit weird if it's not posted, but then it seems almost too big, even if it is at most 1" longer.

I'm pretty much just fishing, since this is a consideration that i think requires a little extra subjectivity, and this was excellent information! I do agree about the Safari, unposted feels slightly wrong (probably because i grew up posting bics and whatnot), but posted seems slightly off balance.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

cobalt impurity posted:

The last time I flew I had three pens in my bag and nobody said anything about them. Incidentally, I also managed to forget to remove my all-metal watch and it didn't set off the metal detector. :crossarms:

Titanium is not something metal detectors are particularly sensitive to, my watch and titanium chain bracelet have never set off a metal detector. Even gold pens are probably too small to set them off, really, but with the microwave scanners just put them in the basket, there's probably nothing worse than looking like you're trying to sneak something sharp past them.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

iostream.h posted:

And here, the most important page:

Ok this is a lot of poo poo so i'll just translate this last page. The image before it, with a ton of years, is actually mad useful - it's convertor, for Imperial Calendar dates and Gregorian ones (only the years are different - for example, 1912 is year 2 of the Taisho(Great Truth) era).

The last page, going left to right (boxes seperated by |)

quote:

This is the page for your personal information.
Please place the information in its proper/organized place.

Name | Birthdate (Year Month Day) | Blood Type
Address

Telephone Number | Email Address #1
Fax Number | Email Address #2
[illegible, i think "identification"] Number | Email Address #3

Workplace/Commuter Student Nametag
Workplace/Commuter Student Address

Workplace/Commuter Student Telephone | Workplace/Commuter Student Fax number

Emergency Contact | Relationship
Family Doctor | Contact

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I got a Waterman Hemisphere for Christmas and i love it!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I was here a little while back asking about a present for someone; it seems to have gone over well. That being said, now I'm kinda curious and want to pick up a pen for myself. I'm told that I had great cursive handwriting when I was in grade school, but with the advent of affordable personal computers, I had pretty much completely stopped writing by hand in favor of typing. When I do end up writing by hand now, I really have to make a conscientious effort not to make a scribble that I can't even read myself. I don't suppose there's a primer on writing 'properly'? It really feels like I've forgotten how to write, since I very rarely do.

I'm learning from this guide that IAMPETH recommended. I mostly had decent handwriting but my consistency was always poor, especially if i was taking notes or something.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

iostream.h posted:

Hey hey, let's not let this get out of hand, there are plenty of other, more worthy things to argue about.

Like those goofy bastards who insist on posting their caps.
HEATHENS

In your heart, you know to :justpost:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

His Divine Shadow posted:

Got a Jinhao X450 today with the chinese calligraphy nib. I quite like it for writing text rather than cursive, really really smooth writer, loaded it up with Sheaffer Skrip (Purple) and it makes a pretty shopping list.

Could you explain a little bit more about what "Chinese Calligraphy Nib" means? I imagine you don't mean a brush and a quick google says that it's "bent" but i'm not getting a good picture in my head as to what it looks like.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Aurora Black is my daily go-to, largely under the recommendation of my local pen shop, and i'm pretty drat happy with it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I know this isn't really a calligraphy joint, but i got a Pilot Parallel last night and holy crap it's the best 10 bucks i've ever spent, it's amaaaaazing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Vitamins posted:

I don't understand the people that buy an expensive pen and then don't actually use it. What's the point? A pen's a tool and is made to be functional, use it for it's goddamn function! These are generally the same people that will buy a Ferrari and leave it in the garage because they don't want their new precious baby to get scratched.

I mean you're basically like 90% of the way there but you're not taking the last step. Just because a pen is normally a functional tool doesn't mean it can't be used as a piece of art. I don't really have the space to do that sort of thing, but i'd totally use a pen as piece of pure decoration.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

verybad posted:

Hey guys, I bought a Manuscript 3 nib calligraphy set for drawing purposes. This is my first time using a fountain pen. I really like the lines, but it took ages to get the ink flowing and it's still finicky as poo poo, with the flow cutting off at random intervals. Did I just get a lovely pen/bad ink, or is this how these things are supposed to work (ie. poorly). When it works, the result is really ~pretty~, especially when I tried writing in script, but "when it works" describes periods of time that usually do not last longer than 30 seconds so it's kind of aggravating to try and draw with.

e: also whenever I try to use it, it takes like 10 minutes of scratching on paper before any ink comes out which is kind of inconvenient if I just to want to loving draw something

Get a Pilot Parallel, they're unbelievably consistent and like 10 bux. If you're still getting jamming problems, you've got gummy ink and should get something different.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I got a neon coral Safari and it is fabulous. It's my designated editing pen now (using Noodler's Cactus Fruit).

systran posted:

I actually think calligraphy is really cool, but I've tried to do Chinese calligraphy a few times (like with the dip pens etc.) and if I do the right stroke order it feels awful. Western calligraphy seems pretty cool too, but I don't know if being left-handed is a significant disadvantage for it or not.

Sorry i missed this - Chinese calligraphy is 100% about brushes, pens are a very inappropriate tool. The most formal hold for a brush that i was ever taught is straight up and down, so being left handed shouldn't be as much of an impediment in Chinese calligraphy as it is in Western. The biggest trouble would be the right falling strokes, since they involve a sort of twisting/rolling motion.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So what is the most monstrous of convertors to make sure that my metro holds a small lake of ink?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yea unless you're a wizard with an oblique fountain pen, you're going to need to get into the world of dips for Spencerian. /r/Calligraphy has a bunch of good resources, a new guide was posted on the subject: ctrl F for "pointed" which is the term for scripts that use flex nibs. Honestly that guide is a little excessively wordy but i see no reason to contradict what he says about oblique holders etc.

As has been said in this thread before, emphatically do not start with a fountain flex. They're pretty much universally vintage, and you'll break a whole bunch of them while learning.

Alternatively, if you want to learn Italics, Gothic/Blackletter/Textura, Uncial, etc those use broad nibs, and i say buy a Pilot Parallel.

Solumin posted:

On a related note, would a collection of handwriting resources be helpful for the OP? It comes up every now and again in this thread, and there's definitely a connection in people's minds between "fountain pens" and "super neat and interesting handwriting". I know I'm not the only one who would like to neaten up their handwriting.

Without getting too much into it (since i have a murderous hangover at the moment), the canonical handwriting improvement resource in the states (and i think the whole anglosphere, maybe?) is Palmer method, which is IAMPETH's preferred no-flex cursive. First, however, i recommend looking at handwriting repair, which is basically a very quick guide to making sure the basic fundamentals (height spacing etc) of your handwriting, well, work.

I so far have not turned up a good way of making one's print handwriting effective, but so far these resources have made it much easier for me to communicate with my deaf grandmother so i'm always pretty excited about improving handwriting.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've got a dip for learning flex. I feel alright about my broad nib calligraphy, my pointed nib calligraphy is awful, i have no idea how anybody has the patience to learn copperplate let alone spencerian.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Crack posted:

OK, I just bought a Metro, which seems pretty cool. My handwriting is total poo poo though, I think the new pen might have even damaged the legibility. I've always admired calligraphic scripts (esp. Copperplate/Spencerian) but my writing is so bad maybe I shouldn't start with that. I'd be happy enough with something legible preferably with a little flair. So how do I improve?

I've been doing Gothics and Italics for about a year now, and they look alright, but my Copperplate is unbelievably bad. Pointed scripts are really, really hard. Not to discourage you from calligraphy (it's fun and makes your headers look rad) or even from using pointed scripts, but to make sure you know that it's tough to start. I'm pretty sure my whole first page is covered in bleed from flexing too fast.

The simplest way to improve in general is handwriting repair. Next step would probably be Palmer Method, there's like a million places for that, such as over at IAMPETH. /r/handwriting is a pretty good place to go.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So i read the fountainpens guys over at reddit and somebody just posted this beauty.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Landsknecht posted:

TBH I don't really like fancy acrylic pens. I don't think I'd like anything else I'd own to be red and sparkly; it just seems sort of tacky.

Not something i'd want for myself but something i'm glad exists, if that makes any sense.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So i went down to my local pen place to check for my next acquisition in the 50-100 dollar range, and the suggestion i got was for a Faber-Castell that i believe they had at 75 dollars. I never hear about this brand in thread, is there any thoughts that people have on the pens? Thing wrote like a dream, weight was a little strange.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I put my pens in an empty water bottle with the lid on tight so they have a separate atmosphere. Pretty sure I learned that trick from somebody in this thread.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The whole drat company is sold out, and here i was looking for a good way to finally learn spencerian.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PRADA SLUT posted:

Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs 4 lyf

Amazingly few discotheques provide jukeboxes, bro.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mikl posted:

Random thought that occurred to me: is there a fountain pen wiki? It would be a useful resource in my opinion.

There's this from reddit.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Personally I like The Art of Calligraphy the best. Helps that it's a free ebook. Not sure how good it is for pointed scripts, since I don't do those.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I just ordered this monstrosity. I will submit a trip report on how well it functions for any other amateur calligraphers, since this is the first I've heard of a slant nib and frankly I'm very excited.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Everything Burrito posted:

Noodler's Ottoman Rose is one of my favorite fun colors. It's a really deep pink and I bought a bottle on impulse after someone at Goulet used it to write on my invoice from an order (pretty good strategy on their part).

Noodles cactus fruit is also every pretty and it plays well with my pilot parallel.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kessel posted:

It may even be benefiting your ink flow by acting as an agitator.

Ding ding ding. It is an agitator.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I really like my Padrino trend lately.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Behemuff posted:

How on earth do you use Pilot's proprietary cartridges! I'm probably being stupid, but I just exploded one all over myself trying to put one into my new Pilot Metro.... :(
I don't normally use cartridges, but when I have before they have been the international standard short ones, not this weird long thing with a lip. Sadly the pen didn't come with a convertor?!
These things...

I'm not sure I love this Metro btw.... Maybe it's just the cartridge issue, but it feels quite....light and plasticky? Definitely compared to my recent Monteverde and old Parker. I suppose it has quite a smooth nib for a cheap(ish) pen. Still, all of your praise feels like a eulogy to me, thread :colbert:

Wide end goes towards nip, not narrow end.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

shallowj posted:

I'm having problems with my pilot metropolitan. I'm using the squeeze-type converter that it came with. I've noticed the bladder getting more and more out of shape and now it's become totally useless. It won't fill all the way, it's not "round" anymore, and it doesn't even fit inside the metal squeezy part. it folds up a little bit on itself if I push it in. is it coming loose or something...?

i googled it and it looks like i have what people call the "cleaning converter" ? am I not supposed to use this to actually hold ink?

Yea it's for flushing not ink. Use a cartridge and syringe, that's my preference at least.

Tulip fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 11, 2015

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So this ink talk has lead me to starting to make up an order on Jetpens, and I'm looking at buying the Iroshizoku mini-ink C, which is Ama-iro, Fuyu-gaki, and Syu-ro. I think I know what I'm going to hear, but how are those as inks?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

QuantumNinja posted:

You should get a converter instead of messing with these cartridges.

Honestly now that I've gotten the syringe thing going I think it's straight up easier than fiddling with legit converters. Plus the pilot ones have a great agitator which really makes things easier.

tater_salad posted:

Also Most pilots already come with the squeeze converter so use that.

That squeeze converter should really only be used for cleaning, it doesn't have that great of durability or capacity.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Oh god I got some new poo poo and wanted to try out my new inks and I slipped and my hands are just covered in Ama Iro. Normally I wear gloves when doing refills so this was mega stupid.

Why couldn't it at least have been some cheap garbage color

:negative:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've been grading with Yama Budo, and you guys are not kidding about that ink, wow.

Noctis Horrendae posted:

What are you fellas' thoughts on the Waterman Hémispherè?

It was my first >$20 purchase, and I really like the way it feels posted, but overall I'm less than 100% on it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Do you mean this?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

unkle77 posted:

Hey folks,

First time posting here, but I've been writing the last few of months with 2 fine Pilot Metros, and a TWSBI Eco in Medium on Leuchtturm1917 paper.

I'm a lefty so I use Noodlers Bernanke Black in my black metro for work/note-taking, De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes Blue in my red metro for journaling, and Noodlers Berning Red in my Eco when I want to change things up. The red is dark and bloody, I love it.

So glad there's other goons interested in writing in the most enjoyable way possible.

This is actually pretty helpful to me - I've been wondering about what inks are good for lefties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CrimsonSaber posted:

All inks are good for lefties if you are willing to learn how to right correctly. (No, I don't mean with your right hand...)

If you place your paper to your left and rotate it 45 degrees clockwise, you will have the ideal writing position to write completely underneath the script. Your arm should make a right angle to the lines on the paper.

It took me a little while to get used to it, but it has reduced my writing fatigue, prevented all smears, and made my handwriting neater as well.

Now you can write with any ink!

This is cool but I was more thinking as a gift for left handed friends who might be interested in fountain pens (I'm right handed)