Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am assuming I can load the sac up with water and hold is upright. It's a lever filler, so I expect that water would come out of the lever mechanism.
That should work, I think? At least it did for my broken sac when I did that and turned it so that gravity brought water out the lever space.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

these Lamy and Pilot fountain pens have been keeping me going

I love my fancy pens. Yet...

My daily writer at work is a really banged-up Lamy Al-Star (it hangs off my lanyard) and my most-inked pen at home is a Jinhao x750, or sometimes my Pilot Knight when I want to feel extra moderne.

It's so frustrating to have a "nice" pen that needs work! Those cheaper pens really are meant to be workhorses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

IXIX posted:

Not sure if this is a good thread to ask, but does anyone have recommendations for handwriting exercises? I figure there's not much point in getting a decent pen if I still produce chicken scratch.

One of the biggest things that helped my chicken scratch was to get a consistent character height. There are exercises using lines & circles to help (I think IAMPETH is where I found them), but practicing with a set of calligraphy lines every day helped the most. That way I could concentrate on really making sure my ascenders, descenders, and x-heights were consistent.

That's assuming the rest of your writing is fairly static in its inconsistency. If letters aren't being formed the same way every time, it's a good idea to go back to basics. Look for a (depending on what you learned in school) D'Nealian or Zaner-Bloser or Modern Cursive (or print) worksheet to print.

Slowing down to see what you're doing as you write will help, too. I often practice with a pencil because it drags on paper and forces me to slow down.

grack posted:

Update: I GOT MY NIB BACK. Fucker was stuck in the crud in the u-bend, washing it out under pressure flushed it out.

I also flushed out a Kaweco and a Manuscript italic nib as well. I don't actually remember losing those down the sink but I guess I'll call it a bonus.

I think you need a set of these.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

CrimsonSaber posted:

The obvious solution would be to buy a rare stylus.

I can use my Lamy Al-Star as a stylus while capped! :smuggo:

It's super loud.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I know two people in real life who use fountain pens. One uses them exclusively for letters, and the other one uses them for daily writing like myself. The daily writing friend got me into them- she was moving to a different continent and insisted I write, and then was shocked that I was going to write with my nicest pen - a Pentel RSVP (still my favorite ballpoint) . One Lamy Al-Star started it all off. Now I've got several fountain pens and inks, most recently a Parker Vacumatic in silver (and a need to get all the other colors).

I think that Vacumatic nib is my favorite, except that it's very wet. I had no idea how much difference a little bounce to a nib makes- not even my Pilot Custom 74 comes close.

I've got another friend who tries to use Pilot Varsities but then gets upset when they're scratchy. He's also left handed - I think I need to get him a Metro & some Noodler's Bernake Blue.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Pixelante posted:

Is there ever a fountain pen secret santa? We do one with the nail polish community and it's always gone really well. I don't know what the restrictions are on mailing ink across borders, though. With polish, we have to be careful to mark things as "craft supplies," etc. I loathe the holidays, but I do enjoy gift exchanges.

I'm all for a secret santa here! (Inks cost about the same as nail polish, I've noticed, and I'm about as likely to get through a bottle.)

quote:

Question: anyone know of a charcoal grey that's darker than Noodler's Lexington or the 1670 Stormy Grey? I'd like to find an ink that shades from black to grey. The Goulet swatches online make Lexington look like one of the darkest, but when it's not smeared on the page with a swab, it looks like HB pencil, with some shading.

For the charcoal grey, try diluting Noodler's Bulletproof Black down some. A 1:10 dilution should get you something close to Lexington, so maybe try half that and see what happens?

quote:

And to keep the lovely conversations going--what's your #1 ink(s) and why? I'm new to fountain pens and have ink ADD but my favourite pen always has Diamine Ancient Copper in it. Not particularly water resistant, but it shades between rust and near-black. Sometimes needs a little help starting again if I pause to read with the lid off, but it always comes back with a quick scribble. Helped me grind through five pages of notes, last night.

My #1 ink is Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses (1st run/3rd run). It's a unique color that shades amazingly, and is well behaved. I like that the black portion is bulletproof. Every pen I have gets a test with it, just so I can use it more.

My #1.5 ink is Noodler's Blue-Black diluted by half. It is a deep teal-leaning-green black at that point, and there's some shading to it. I've had my Lamy Al-Star for work inked up with it for 5 years.

I fall in love with a different ink every month or two (right now it's Diamine Sapphire :swoon: ), but those have stayed in rotation since I bought them.

quote:

Do you have any disappointing inks that you regret buying?

Diamine Graphite-- I got a sample of it and it was just so insanely dry that I had trouble starting it most days.

J. Herbin Vert Empire-- It's a decent ink, but I am 100% done with the "muted green" phase I was in when I bought it. I put it away after writing holiday cards (it looks great on ivory/cream) 4 years ago. Every now and then I ink something up with it, am disappointed in the color, and put it back.

effika fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 13, 2016

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Magnus Praeda posted:

Does anyone know how well the Goulet 52gsm Tomoe River notebooks handle ghosting and bleedthrough, particularly against something around the size of a Pilot M or Lamy F? The notebooks that came with my fauxdori ghost like crazy.

Speaking for the 52gsm loose sheets: I never get bleed through but do get some ghosting because it is so thin. It's not enough to stop it from being legible. I would write on both sides without much worry. Maybe stick to lighter ink just in case?

The dry time is really long, but the paper produces such nice results I don't care. You might for a notebook- maybe keep a sheet of blotting paper with it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Magnus Praeda posted:

Both good ideas. I might switch to brown ink (Tsukushi or MB's Toffee Brown or something) and having some blotter paper on hand is probably a good idea anyway.

When you say "really long" though, are we talking 30 seconds or 5 minutes?

Both, depending on the ink/nib. I had a page of Noodler's Navajo Turquoise that I wrote with a pen that's basically a slightly controlled firehose and it took at least 10 minutes. I also wrote with the same ink with a drier pen and it was definitely under a minute.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I have a Jinhao x750 and have a complete set of nibs for it. I like the pen, but it dries out really easily. I don't suppose there's another pen that takes #6 nibs that is more air tight?

I have other pens that don't dry out for ages, but my Jinhao is sparkly & so more fun to use.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

NeurosisHead posted:

In a similar price bracket you've got the Nemosine Singularity that accepts #6 nibs.

At those prices even if they dry out just as fast as my Jinhao I won't feel too bad. Nice.

I really like having interchangable nibs. I have a set for my Lamy Al-Stars, too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I've only bought my Lamy Al-Stars new, and those two boxes were sturdy enough to repurpose in my letter drawer (holding stamps, post-its etc in the slots). I guess I did buy my Jinhao new, but it came in a plastic sleeve.

I don't really miss the boxes for my other pens, and it's great to not care about that when buying vintage.

effika fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 1, 2016

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Trip report for my newly-arrived Nemosine Singularity .6mm stub:

The nib is very smooth! The stub is a little less pronounced than I'd like, but it's definitely a stub. A touch on the dry side, which I'm fine with.

The nib/feed/converter system needed some help. After flushing, I couldn't get it to draw in any ink. Reseated the converter with force, and it was fine. (If it spins, it's too loose to draw, btw.) Then I had it dropping giant globs of ink. I couldn't get the feed out to reseat it, so I used force: I pressed the nib/feed (safely!) down as I held the (body-less) pen against my desk. I pressed until I felt something move. Luckily there was no damage done, and whatever had been mis-seated in the nib/feed/converter system righted itself.

It writes pretty nicely now. The aqua demonstrator is a great match for turquoise inks, too-- right now I have Waterman Inspired Blue in it.

For $20 it's a decent pen. I'd still recommend a Metro before it to a newbie, but it's a fun way to get a #6 .6mm stub without going custom ground. (I might have to buy a separate nib for my Jinhao x750 if I can't ever get this feed out.)

effika fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 6, 2016

effika
Jun 19, 2005

rio posted:

It was a new nib so that wasn't the case. I did flush it with soapy water though, thinking it might have had some oil or something on it. After writing with it a bit more last night it the issue partially resolved and I got through two pages of writing without any stopping. It is not super juicy though.

Interesting - I didn't know that. Would a Safari that came with a EF nib and one that came with a medium be set up the same or would they be set up differently to accommodate different flows for different nib sizes? I was wondering if putting a broad nib on a pen that came with an EF nib could have been the reason it was acting up.

They're all the same feed, regardless of size. My Lamy Al-Star is wet enough to make a 1.5mm stub work fine, but others may be drier. Lamy's feeds are pretty well engineered so I'd be surprised if a B wasn't working (though anything bigger is a small gamble). It really does sound like an air exchange/vacuum lock problem though so if it starts up again, look to modifying the feed some.

This guy didn't *wink wink* work for Lamy as an engineer - it's a pretty good blog for some of the story behind design/engineering decisions.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Heath posted:

Should we have people give us their ink loadouts so we don't end up getting them something they already have?

In the nail thread we all have stash lists in Google Doc's spreadsheet app that we share. It works very well!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

If you have something that a #6 nib will fit on, the Goulet broad nibs are pretty nice.

Agreed.

Jinhao x750 (these all seem to be pretty wet feeds) + Goulet nib (all mine are smooth, only one needed a minor alignment) is probably your cheapest choice.

My Jinhao x750 is wet enough that it's my new Emerald of Chivor pen, beating out my 2nd Lamy Al-Star.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Thanks to this thread I fell in love with fountain pens and have a few bottles of ink now. How should I store them? The bottles come in wildly different sizes and I'm not really sure what to do other than "use an upright container."

I bought one of those $4 memory boxes from Michael's meant to hold photographs. (They often go on sale for $1.50.) It's tall enough for most inks. I keep the box on a shelf.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Pixelante posted:

FP Secret Santa has enough players to run, but it's kind of a dudefest right now.

I want to but right now I need to curtail all extraneous expenses.

Everybody else should join, though! It's always fun to wrap up a box of goodies for strangers.

effika fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 11, 2016

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I picked up a TWSBI ECO in white with a F nib the other day and I am really digging it so far. It writes smoothly and the sweet spot on the nib is easy to rotate to as a lefty. My previous daily carry was a M nibbed Safari but as a lefty I had trouble with my weird hook grip and keeping the pen rotated correctly. I am probably going to need to find something to keep this in to keep it from getting scratched up though. It certainly doesn't look as durable as the matte ABS of the Safari I have.

I have also been messing around with the Noodler's Ahab I've had for the last four months or so. I've realized that my writing is too poo poo to actually use a flex nib for anything useful and I've considered throwing a normal nib on this pen and using it that way. I hear the Goulet nibs aren't terrible. Is there something else anyone would suggest other than them?

The Ahabs take #6 nibs. You could try out a small stub from the Nemosine Singularity line, something from Fountain Pen Revolution, or get one of the Goulet nibs. I suppose you could also get a Franklin Christoph or Edison nib unit and knock the nib/feed out.

I like to have the full range of sizes for a pen if I can, and am working on that for my #6 pens. I'd order a small stub from the Singularity line, some of the Goulet sizes, and perhaps from FPR of any of those look interesting.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Jinhao X750, and one of my Lamy Al-Stars with a really beat up nib. (It's been through a lot.)

My wettest writer by far is a 1945 Parker Vacumatic. Pelikan 4001 only sort of tames it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I want to try bullet journaling but have gotten to the point that I don't process lists well as a thing to actually pay attention to. I just skim right over the words. I have to have my phone remind me of a task or it never gets done. Same with events. I am an organization failure.

It is a lot quicker to write something down than type on my phone. I set a lot of reminders by yelling at the Google assistant too, which is quick, but not as private as I'd like.

Maybe I will try again some day, if I can convince my brain to look at to-do lists in a timely manner and to understand that there are things I need to pay attention to in that block of text.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Zenostein posted:

Anyone in here ever use Noodler's Whaleman Sepia? It looks cool and all, but everything about it on FPN is from like 5+ years ago, or referring back to 5+ years ago. Specifically I'm concerned about the flow,which seemed to be the bulk of the complaints. I pretty much only use fines, so something that won't flow right is kinda a no-go. Which is a shame, it's a pretty neat looking color, and I am looking for a new brown.

Any other interesting suggestions for browns?

J Herbin Lie de The? It really does look like tea stains on paper when dried. Flows well, too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Zenostein posted:

Is that darker than Cafe' des Iles? Because that's what I've got now — it's nice, but a) seems to have evaporated some over the past 5-ish years or however-long I've had it, and b) is fairly light (especially due to the fine points, it looks great out of a dip pen).

It's honestly a great match for tea stains, from light to dark brown. I'd say it's going to be a bit light in a fine nib, especially if it's dry. It's about on the same saturation level as Cafe des Iles from what I can tell. Maybe a little darker per this review.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

chippy posted:

My Lamy Safari has suddenly got a bit leaky in the nib area in the last few days - any tips? Do I just need a new nib, or could something be wrong with the feed?

It seemed to coincide with changing the cartridge, but all I did was swap one standard lamy black cartridge for another.

Try taking the nib and feed out and reseating it. Cleaning it while you're at it might help too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Megabound posted:

2nd antique store buy, all it needed was a polish and a flush!

Nice find!

Vintage pens are definitely a slippery slope. I have a silver pearl Parker Vacumatic. It writes very wet and very smooth, and overall I am happy with it. But that pen came in other colors! I need to complete the collection. An emerald and an azure for certain, maybe a golden brown and a red, too. And then there are the other Parker pens! What Parker collector wouldn't want a 51 or 45? Or a Duofold?

I will say that the difficulty of cleaning out the Vacumatic has made me reluctant to pull the trigger on other auctions. Nothing can beat a cartridge/converter system for ease of cleaning.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Apocron posted:

Just got the Tsuki-yo, cleaned an old cross pen I got as a gift, and gave it a go. So much better than the Parker pen with quink I've been using for months!

I loaded up a sample of Tsuki-yo last week and the color didn't immediately grab me, but when it ran out tonight I was so terribly disappointed and had to add it to my wishlist. It's such an incredible ink, both in behavior and color.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Any preferred everyday carry setups? I should be getting a Hobonichi Techo and a A6 Kokuyo Systemic holder along with a thin A6 notebook in the mail tomorrow. Also I've heard good things about "bullet journaling" but it all looks like a marketing thing to me when I google it.

I prefer a B6 size for my everyday carry. This limits me to Japanese brands mostly, but I also find some good stuff randomly in the journal section at Barnes and Noble. (B6 fits perfectly in a pocket on my bag.)

Earlier in this thread there was a link to a good simple no-frills bullet journal setup post. I'm on mobile otherwise I'd link it. It's basically a glorified to-do list, but it's also a good way to capture info for later processing. I use it at work, and it has helped me keep up with tasks.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Re hook vs non-hook chat: I am a righty but the kids I sat next to in kindegarten were lefties so I switched to hooked writing. :rolleye: Took me a while to unlearn that in college.

For non-shading ink, Diamine Sapphire Blue might be up your alley. It also doesn't sheen (show other colors when viewed at an angle).

Also look at some of the Lamy inks; I remember one of their engineers on FPN getting all confused about people who wanted shading when to him that was a mark of a poor ink.

effika fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 5, 2017

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Kessel posted:

Oh my god, thank you all for the overwhelmingly positive response. I was seriously worried that these would find no interest in the consumer space and that our social impact mission would die flat, but I can see now that I needn't have worried.

We fountain pen users love a quality product with a good cause behind it. And Tomoe River. We'll buy pretty much anything with Tomoe River.

I'm earmarking the money I would have spent on the new Pacific Al-Star for this! (The color is more Windex in real life than the light blue press photos would have me believe, I hear.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Xun posted:

Does the feed also include the plastic disk right below where the grip ends? Caus the ink is definitely coming out from between the grip and that disk

Stay away from that little platform. Lamy Al-Stars/Safaris have a similar setup and ink migrates to it very easily in my experience. So it isn't coming out there, just accumulating enough to get you inky when you touch it.

I have a habit of gripping very close to the nib and if I'm not careful will definitely come away stained.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
MY JOURNAL FROM MUSUBI CAME IN!!!

Thank you for the oportunity to try one of these, Kessel.

Here are some quick shots I took with my Pixel.

This journal is SO LIGHT thanks to the Tomoe River paper. It stays open easily. The binding is perfect. The fabric has an incredibly premium hand. The whole thing feels so solid, so well-put together. It really does feel like a $100USD product. The attention to detail on these is second-to-none. Maybe it will please your artisans to know a stranger on the internet appreciates their hard work. :)

I'll come back in a couple of weeks with some in-use shots showing off fountain pen ink when I've had a good chance to use it with a few different pen/ink combos. I'm so excited!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Ooh, neat macro!

And Pixelante, I just started using it upside down. :rolleye:

J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune is a great match for the purple wave pattern, by the way.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
About a week ago I commissioned a custom pen wrap from Pentaloons.

She does amazing, high-quality work. I loved browsing her store to see all the fabric options. She's got an eye for goood fabric combinations!

I had all sorts of demands-- 10 slots, contrasting tie, monogram in the same color as the tie, and which way the herringbone fabric chevrons pointed. She always got back to me quickly, let me know what options were available, checked in to make sure she had what I wanted correct, and showed me multiple combinations that I might like. She was very professional to work with.

My wrap arrived while I was out of town, so I've had to wait to see it! Everything came out perfectly, just as I described to her.

Here are some photos showcasing her craftsmanship.

Dimensions: 22.5" long by 7" wide (13" wide with flap open). Pockets are approximately 2.75" wide.

Pens, left to right: no-name 1930's celluloid, Nemosine Singularity, Jinhao X750, Pilot Knight, Pilot Custom 74, Parker Vacumatic, Lamy Al-Star Black Purple, Lamy Al-Star Aluminum

Pentaloons is going on my list of preferred vendors. I'll be certain to take a look for storage options as my collection grows, or if I need a gift for a pen friend.

(I am not affiliated in any way withe Pentaloons. I paid for everything myself and am just a very happy customer!)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Trustworthy posted:

I spread the tines a wee bit, and I think it's behaving better now...?

Which is good, because I needed a lil' pick-me-up. Today, the evening mail truck was supposed to deliver my first good paper in a long time: a Seven Seas notebook full of Tomoe River. It never arrived, but tracking info said it was sitting on my porch. After digging a little deeper, I realized that I'd accidentally shipped it to my ex-wife's house. :downsbravo:

edit: On a completely different note... drat, Noodler's Midnight Blue is daaaaaaark. Way closer to black than the swatches I'd looked at online. On one hand it looks beautiful, but on the other I was hoping for something that would contrast a bit more against black. Looks like that bottle of Kon-Peki just moved up to the top of my wishlist.

Oh man :(

On Noodler's Midnight Blue, you should try diluting it. I have my Blue-Black diluted to 50% and it's much closer to the color I wanted, while still being intensely saturated. Grab an empty sample vial and experiment!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Trustworthy posted:

Oooh, I hadn't thought of that as a possibility. Does diluting appreciably change any other properties of the ink, like drying time?

I've used it dilutes for years now, let me see if I remember... I think it feathers less, and dries a but quicker.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Trustworthy posted:

Speaking of notebooks, has anyone ever used a Miquelrius? I've heard that it's okay/passable for fountain pens (better than Moleskine, worse than Tamoe paper, maybe on par with Rhodia?).

It's definitely some of the better non-coated paper. Ink won't pool on it like Rhodia, but it's also not prone to feathering. I like them, but haven't bought one in a while. (I found some Mead composition books that work just as well and were far cheaper.) Miquelrius is a good option for spiral notebooks.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

Are Noodlers ink a legitimate concern for someone not using a pen daily? Will I have any issues (besides Baystate Blue which I understand dyes pens alot)?

Also favorite brands of ink? I've got 2 iroshizuki (winter grey and blue green) and a diamine oxblood. Should I jump to Noodlers? J Herbin?

Also jeezus this thread makes me want to buy things.

Noodler's Blue-Black is what I use in my work pen, a Lamy Al-Star. It started up just fine after not using it for 2 weeks. (NB: I dilute my Blue-Black to 50%, but you should still be OK.) I find how well the pen cap seals to be the largest factor in whether I can leave a pen alone for while without use.

Iroshizuku, Diamine, Noodler's, J. Herbin... can't go wrong with any of those. Don't buy the Noodler's Baystate series unless you have a pen to sacrifice to it.

I have the most Noodler's ink, followed by Diamine. My favorite ink to use is Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo -- it's so well behaved! My favorite ink color is definitely Noodler's Blue-Black diluted to 50%. I love all of my inks for different reasons, and will gladly list them all to nobody's benefit. (Diamine Sapphire changes color as it dries! J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune reminds me of my grandmother! Pelikan 4001 Violet looks like Spring! etc...)

I like to get ink sample packages from places like Goulet or Anderson Pens for a bit of variety. I'll then use whatever color strikes me.

Everything Burrito posted:

sometimes when I let a pen with a Noodler ink in it dry up I just fill it with clean water and keep on trucking

I've done this. I think Nathan even said you can do this somewhere; that they're all easily reconstituted (if you can remember what the original volume should be). I guess if I wanted to put fountain pen ink in my bug-out bag, I'd dehydrate some Noodler's. :tinfoil:

I will say that La Reine Mauve is terrible to clean out of anything if you let it dry up completely.

effika fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 25, 2017

effika
Jun 19, 2005

grack posted:

Y'all need to start adding chunks of grip tape to your fountain pens. Or, alternatively, get easier to hold pens.

the Android thread is leaking

But yeah I've got a Vacumatic waiting for me in the mail and now I'm a little apprehensive about even opening the package.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
That Vacumatic came in, and it is a NICE nib. Have some nib porn:

From 1945, golden pearl.

It's a fine-medium nib, and there's bounce but it's not a flex nib by any means. It's incredibly smooth and gushes ink, just like my other Vacumatic (a silver pearl with a gold-plated steel nib).

Got it for $57 shipped, because the former owner didn't use it much and wanted to see it off to somebody who would use it. It's in great condition, some use scratches, and lots of ambering on the barrel, but very good transparency.

I did bang the nib against my hand while cleaning it, leading to a slightly misaligned tine, but I was able to fix it. We're all cursed for nibs right now, it seems.

Re: stub talk: I sometimes do my daily journal with a 1.1mm stub, usually after I've gotten it out for a birthday card and put sparkly ink in it. I have to slow down a lot or else my writing is illegible. I can go pretty quickly with my .6mm Nemosine stub, though. The Nemosine is also a #6 nib, so it's pretty easy to try out on a Jinhao x750. It's not a stubby as it could be, but it's definitely got some line variation.

effika fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 1, 2017

effika
Jun 19, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Stacked celluloid is one of my favorite materials.

If I could get some of those fancy Viscontis with stacked celluloid I would. Stacked celluloid is beautiful. (I think spending my time waiting for user-grade but functioning Vacumatics is a better use of my time/money, though.)

Vacumatics are fantastic pens-- easily my favorite filling system. It's my least favorite to clean, by far, to the point where I want to take a hair dryer to the section sealant and see if I can get it loose, then just use silicone instead after I've scrubbed it out.

But I've found a good ink for this pen (J. Herbin Poussière de Lune, as I'm out of Lie de Thé), so it should be a while before I want to switch colors and it needs a thorough cleaning instead of just a flush.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

I received me goulet shipment. I ordered a noodlers ink sampler kit. I read somewhere on this very forum that inks were a blackhole. I now understand. I should not have ordered that sampler kit. Been researching inks all morning and abusing my poor Metro nib with repeated dipping and cleaning.

My inks - ranked. The Noodlers are samples so I haven't spent much time with them but I'm gonna be CRAZY and rank em anyway:
1. Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz. It's the 2017 color of the year. It's brown and kind of expensive at ~$30 for a small bottle but I really like it.
2. Noodlers Black Swan in Australian Roses
3. Kon Peki
4. Noodlers 54th Massachusetts
5. Diamine Oxblood
6. Noodlers Black
7. Syo-Ro
8. Lamy Pacific Blue (Cartridges)
9. Fuyu-Syogun
10. Noodlers Liberty Elysium
11. Noodlers Apache Sunset
12. Noodlers Heart of Darkness
13. Noodlers Navajo Turquiose
14. Noodlers Lexington Gray
15. Mont Blanc boring rear end blue

The top ranks could probably move a bit depending on my mood that day. Tell me why you disagree. COME AT ME!

Also picked up a Leuchtturm notebook A4-oversize. I overlooked the oversize bit when I ordered. This thing is gigantic. Not sure if I'll really be able to use it for meetings.

You've got 3 of my favorites up there! (2, 5, and 13) I can't disagree, only suggest giving Navajo Turquoise a try in a nib with some flex on Tomoe River. Amazing. I think it i's ranked appropriately for usual conditions, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

I suppose my issue with the "brighter" inks is that I'm mainly using these in a business setting. A bright electric blue is a little out of place. In fact, Kon Peki may be just on the verge of too much.

Speaking of inks, Noodlers 54th made me remember how much I like a good blue-black ink. Anyone have a favorite blue-black? A good, solid color to use at work?

Noodler's Blue-Black, but diluted to 50% strength. The black part is bulletproof but the blue part isn't. It's such a lovely deep but shady color at this strength. It's all I use at work.